AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

View Poll Results: sola - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 8 12.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 23.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 39.68%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 15.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-27, 19:13   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

sola - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for sola, Episode 4.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Absolutely no spoilers for future events from the manga in the anime thread.
    If you need to reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, then PM them. Any spoilers, even under the spoiler tags, that reveals future events will be deleted.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread.

Spoiler tags still can be used where one deems appropriate. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags as they are shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how how the Ojisan-tachi do it.
or
The macho way: By writing those l33t vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Old 2007-04-27, 20:17   Link #2
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Well, for whatever reason, I really loved this episode. Nothing much happened, I guess you could say. But the feelings linger in my heart. Aono's loneliness. Kotori's...whatever it was. The gentle pace, the quiet music. The voices. Whether you can say she acts well or not, Shimizu Ai's voice as Koyori really reached me this time. As did Nakahara Mai's as Aono. As did Honda Youko's as Mana. As did Yahagi Sayuri's and Koshimizu Ami's. Like a symphony of sweet sounds from these "sad girls in the dark."

I have to admit, however, that Torito (Okamoto Nobuhiko) sank back into harem-lead nonentity this time around.

The director and co-storyboarder of this episode was Nishimura Hiroaki, who directed four episodes of Mahoraba, two each of Karin and Nanoha A's, and one of Nodame Cantabile. He also did storyboards for Karin and Mahoraba. Give this man a series.

I said that not much happened, but Aono asking to go home is something big, as is her making friends with Koyori. And the hunter Takeshi's awareness of Yorito going home gave me a chill. The character design and Fujiwara Keiji's voice work together very well.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-27 at 21:55.
Old 2007-04-27, 21:34   Link #3
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Screenshot for Episode 4:

This is actually a pretty eventful episode with a bit of personality exploration on Aono, but as Kaoru has mentioned, the consistency holds in how the episode has been paced. The pacing is just as deliberately soothing as ever. This is an episode:

Spoiler for dialogue and image specific from episode 4:

I've enjoyed this episode very very much.
Old 2007-04-27, 22:21   Link #4
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
When I was watching this episode, I was going "I hope they're going to go somewhere with this" for most of it.

But by the end, all I could think was "Awwww."

Koyori is, oddly enough, quickly becoming one of my favourite characters of the show. She's holding up astonishingly well under her hospitalization, and she's a great deal more mature than I'd imagine kids her age to usually be. (Possibly her extremely polite manner of speaking factors into this.)

And Aono actually gets some character development. I'd probably need the subs before I can really figure out what exactly happened this episode, but for some reason, just on gut feeling alone, she seems more human now, rather than just Yorito's unnecessarily demanding older sister.

Overall, a slow episode, and I'd have to admit that at the end, I remembered that there was still the whole Matsuri-as-night-demon thing going on that probably should be getting some plot advancement soon enough (what with the reported series length). Even so, I really can't fault this episode as a standalone, since it was impeccably-paced and thoroughly touching.
Old 2007-04-27, 23:50   Link #5
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
When I was watching this episode, I was going "I hope they're going to go somewhere with this" for most of it.
I felt like this too, with the exception that at the end I felt they went nowhere. It just dragged on and on. So we get character expositions for Aono and Koyori, but honestly I couldn't care less about either of them. Was their friendship and Koyori's release from the hospital really worth one whole episode? It's a bit too early in the series to give this much attention to side characters.

At least the old guy got a clue at the end, so Mitsuri might be involved in another battle sometime soon. So I guess I'll keep watching for now, even though the magic of the first three episodes has been lost for me already.
Old 2007-04-28, 02:58   Link #6
babuji
Alston De Ventigo

Hmmmm........Gotta say that the pace is going slow enough..but the story line might speed up after episode 5.

But I give an 8.

hehe.
Old 2007-04-28, 03:19   Link #7
kelvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Overall, a slow episode, and I'd have to admit that at the end, I remembered that there was still the whole Matsuri-as-night-demon thing going on that probably should be getting some plot advancement soon enough (what with the reported series length). Even so, I really can't fault this episode as a standalone, since it was impeccably-paced and thoroughly touching.
My thoughts exactly, though I did find this episode enjoyable. Perhaps it's because I was in a good mood before watching it.

Also, I find aono to be very dull, something about people that are just overly passive like that just bugs me. Especially those scenes where it's just a closeup of Aono's face, and no part of it moves an inch.

Still.. every Friday morning I try my hardest to get the HD ep the minute it comes out.
Old 2007-04-28, 04:50   Link #8
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Ah...drama!! Good drama wins always fluent action and gives so much more... although everyone is unlikely watching this just for action . I just felt this is deepening overall impact of story with giving enough space to all characters.
Old 2007-04-28, 05:07   Link #9
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
yes this was the ep i have been waiting for ~ gimme more Aono love
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-28, 05:49   Link #10
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
yes this was the ep i have been waiting for ~ gimme more Aono love
Spoiler:
Yes Aono needs more love ...As being sickly kid I can feel sympathy toward to anyone who needs to spent time in the hospital.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-28, 06:15   Link #11
wontaek

Judging from the preview pattern, I think next episode will be about Mayuko and Takeshi's past. The series is still toying with my expectation. On one hand, they show us the mental state of each character, on other end, they are parading character background like a character background introduction to a game series.If my guess is correct, soonest we can have some fast action would be ep. 6, not 5.
Old 2007-04-28, 06:30   Link #12
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
I felt like this too, with the exception that at the end I felt they went nowhere. It just dragged on and on. So we get character expositions for Aono and Koyori, but honestly I couldn't care less about either of them. Was their friendship and Koyori's release from the hospital really worth one whole episode? It's a bit too early in the series to give this much attention to side characters.

At least the old guy got a clue at the end, so Mitsuri might be involved in another battle sometime soon. So I guess I'll keep watching for now, even though the magic of the first three episodes has been lost for me already.
You need patience, and lots of it, for this kind of show, you know. If action's all you're on about, this probably isn't your thing.

Sorry, but I felt I had to put this out.
Old 2007-04-28, 06:41   Link #13
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
You need patience, and lots of it, for this kind of show, you know. If action's all you're on about, this probably isn't your thing.

Sorry, but I felt I had to put this out.
Nah, I am not all about action. In fact, I find action shows horribly boring. Nothing put me to sleep quicker than Gundam SEED. Like I said, I loved the first three episodes, especially the third one, but this one is just plain boring. Especially Aono, who just sits there with her mouth closed all the time and has nearly no facial expressions to speak off. It's like watching a snail race.

But now that this show has hit rock bottom for me, it can only get better
Old 2007-04-28, 06:49   Link #14
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Nah, I am not all about action. In fact, I find action shows horribly boring. Nothing put me to sleep quicker than Gundam SEED. Like I said, I loved the first three episodes, especially the third one, but this one is just plain boring. Especially Aono, who just sits there with her mouth closed all the time and has nearly no facial expressions to speak off. It's like watching a snail race.

But now that this show has hit rock bottom for me, it can only get better
Ah well, guess it's just you then.

As for me, I'll not comment any more until I get to watch it. And seeing that my comp went on the fritz today, and that the subs aren't going to come out that soon anyway, it'll be a while...
Old 2007-04-28, 07:55   Link #15
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Ah well, guess it's just you then.

As for me, I'll not comment any more until I get to watch it. And seeing that my comp went on the fritz today, and that the subs aren't going to come out that soon anyway, it'll be a while...
Lol. Well, it might just be me, and you might love it after watching it, but you should really at least watch the episode before criticizing others' opinions Btw, lovely avatar.
Old 2007-04-28, 10:46   Link #16
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Especially Aono, who just sits there with her mouth closed all the time and has nearly no facial expressions to speak off. It's like watching a snail race.
its called the "emotionless/withdrawal" type and one of my favorite arctypes...which so happens to be one of my favorite archetypes :3

but really this ep wasnt bad at all imo...a bit of character development of someone desperately in need of one was just what the doctor ordered

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-28, 11:06   Link #17
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Screenshots and summary of episode 4 courtesy of Random Curiosity. Pls. look at it at your own risk!!!
Spoiler:
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-04-28, 11:51   Link #18
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

I didn't realize until watching this episode that Koyori was staying at the same hospital as Aono. But, another episode we get to learn a little something about the characters especially about Aono and Koyori; and the interactions between them. Now I know where Yorito gets those stuffed dolls from.

(I do hope the soundtrack comes out soon, I'm really liking the background music here. There is a lot of piano music, especially what is played towards the end.)
Old 2007-04-28, 20:09   Link #19
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The one other thing about Yorito that I've neglected to mention from the episode:

Spoiler for specific event from episode 4:

Btw, couldn't help but observe that Omni's summary reads/feels different than his usual style of writing.
Old 2007-04-28, 21:46   Link #20
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
The one other thing about Yorito that I've neglected to mention from the episode:

Spoiler for specific event from episode 4:
Wow, nice observation, had to rewatch the episode to see that. It seems, to me, that Mana does not know a lot about the relationship between Yorito and Aono. She sees as if Aono doesn't like those stuffed dolls. Yorito thinks otherwise.

See, if Yorito saw that Aono didn't like those stuffed dolls, why would he continue buying them in the first place? I think Mana is a bit oblivious to that brother-sister dynamic that Aono and Yorito have. Their relationship is subtle and deep, but not quite obvious.
Closed Thread