AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 27 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 340 65.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 97 18.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 6.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 3.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 3.25%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-01, 03:41   Link #241
haiz123321
Obey me world!

I didn't like the ending, i only gave this show a rating of 6 cause the fight was EPIC! but the ending was just... well sucky, hell, i mean, you make everyone look like an old guy and wtf? Leeron's looks doesn't change, Rossiu became an old guy who looks almost like his old village cheif, Gimmy and Darry became older but that kinda took away the moe from them, Yoko becomes the principal and Simon, the hero becomes a wandering nobody... -.- Damn, couldn't they have made a better ending

Long Live Lelouch! Waiting for Tales of the World:RM2 USA release
Old 2007-10-01, 03:48   Link #242
Vash002
Ready to Boast

I am not going to argue, but still, why give the core drill to Gimmy?
He should at least give it to Viral or his son... wait a second, he doesn't have a son, his wife died! In the wedding! (Couldn't at least Nia have a nice dead?)
Simon at the end, looked lame. No more GARlock anymore.

Only thing that was pretty awesome about the episode was the inmortal Boota and Leeron (Hey, they're not aging)
Oh, also Jouji Nakata as Rossiu, sweet
Old 2007-10-01, 04:07   Link #243
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Man, people are missing the point of the ending so bad. By exiting the stage humbly Simon cements his position as a true hero. Gar isn't just about making heroic speeches and flashy poses, it's also about showing humility, compassion and selflessness. Simon has no reason to fight anymore; he wants the people to lead there own lives without looking to him for guidance and is not a glory seeker; and so he makes his peace and retires to the life of a digger.

If anything, the disappearing from the public eye thing cements his legend even moreso among the populace and is even more "epic" than if he were to stay and make some sort of flashy pose and speech. The idea that the greatest hero the universe has ever known could appear before you someday on a face to face level anywhere in the world just strikes me as really cool. Simon's basically become like the legendary warrior character you often see in fantasy stories who passes on his title to the next in line after his personal battle has ended. Only in Gurren-Lagann's case we actually get to see the story from his point of view instead of just from the guy who's inheriting his power. That's something you don't see to often, and what I think is the very definition of "epic". Kamina passed the torch to Simon, and now Simon passed the torch to Gimmy, who's story is only approaching it's halfway point. This is an epic, the story that spans an entire persons life struggle and sometimes beyond, where characters come and go, times change, and history is made.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-10-01 at 04:19.
Old 2007-10-01, 04:17   Link #244
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Man, people are missing the point of the ending so bad. By exiting the stage humbly Simon cements his position as a true hero. Gar isn't just about making heroic speeches and flashy poses, it's also about showing humility, compassion and selflessness. Simon has no reason to fight anymore, so he makes his peace.
We're not idiots, we can see where you're coming at. But does not mean we have to accept it. And I also admit that there's no perfect ending that will satisfy everyone. If you are satisfied with the ending with your reasons, fine by me. But that won't stop me from being pissed by Nia's loss, or someone from seeing Simon as a wandering hobo or someone else from thinking that the whole epilogue was pointless or someone from thinking that Yoko deserved a lot more etc.
Old 2007-10-01, 05:06   Link #245
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Man, people are missing the point of the ending so bad. By exiting the stage humbly Simon cements his position as a true hero. Gar isn't just about making heroic speeches and flashy poses, it's also about showing humility, compassion and selflessness. Simon has no reason to fight anymore; he wants the people to lead there own lives without looking to him for guidance and is not a glory seeker; and so he makes his peace and retires to the life of a digger.
Gar has two main components - accomplishment, and attitude. I understand the "humility" deal, but frankly, Simon isn't any different from Goku when it comes to attitude - he's well meaning and gets riled up during a battle, but aside from being "pure hearted" there's not much personality there. Like a boy scout, if I am to use a classic stereotype. While that is manly/badarse in the chivalrous sort of way, it's rather empty if one compares that same chivalry to someone like Harlock.

There was nothing wrong with Simon being a wanderer and helping folks - if Nia was by his side, NO ONE would have complained. But, because Nia died, people feel Simon's end was like punishment for failing Nia, an unfit conclusion to the life of the Anti-Spiral called a "Spiral Knight". Even if Simon wanted that kind of life, people feel like deep down, it was the best he could come up with given his options, and ressurecting Nia was not an option.

In that sense, such resignation is seen as a sign of weakness, one of the anti-thesis to Gar. Simon wasn't a pitiful, broken mess of a man like Suguru was, but he went through simmilar tragedy and was ultimately living a simmilar lifestyle, albeit out of (in some's eyes) an unnecessary choice rather than a desire for revenge.

Quote:
If anything, the disappearing from the public eye thing cements his legend even moreso among the populace and is even more "epic" than if he were to stay and make some sort of flashy pose and speech. The idea that the greatest hero the universe has ever known could appear before you someday on a face to face level anywhere in the world just strikes me as really cool.
Problem is, no one knows who he is - to the rest of the world, he might as well be a spectre wading through the tides of time. The world is indebted to Simon and it could never repay him for his deeds, but I think most people would wish the world TRIED to. But that's how tragic heroes are in fiction - they reject lesser spoils of war if they missed the grand prize.

Quote:
Simon's basically become like the legendary warrior character you often see in fantasy stories who passes on his title to the next in line after his personal battle has ended.
Old master types usually die gloriously, though, not humbly. Even Obi-Wan Kenobi stepped out of retirement to go out with a voomp.
Old 2007-10-01, 05:56   Link #246
Tsukou

Hah, I dono, this ending was fine. It's what I would consider, the "safe ending" one that most people will enjoy, and feel satisfied in the end. It doesn't do anything quite outrageously unexpected as to the point where there will be a VAST difference in which it would turn into a LOVE/HATE ending.

I enjoyed it at least, it was a calm fitting end to an explosive series. May not be perfect, but what really is perfect? Like, seriously, what is the perfect ending? There isn't one.

I'm kinda split about passing down the key, because on one point I understand Simon's point of being a driller, who merely drills the path, and now it's time for Gimmy to continue onwards. But on another end, I kinda wanted to see Simon traveling galaxies with Lagann.. But meh

My only afterthought is, does he become like Lord Genome? As in, one of Simon's eyes turned into a spiral, so I'm wondering if the other one follows, and he becomes a person who never ages after a certain point. >.>; Maybe he lives on forever.
Old 2007-10-01, 07:25   Link #247
ryuusei

seeing how everyone's talking about the ending i don't think spoilers are needed anymore...

but just in case
Spoiler:

besides that, needless to say we got pulled a harry potter ending lol
Old 2007-10-01, 07:30   Link #248
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Realy?

Everyone who I saw talk about it equated it to the ending of

Spoiler for Ending = Which Gainax Show?:

That said, the ep could of stopped some minue early and it would of been better for it, we didn't need a Digimon Zero Two "25 years later epiloge" there.
Old 2007-10-01, 08:48   Link #249
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
My only afterthought is, does he become like Lord Genome? As in, one of Simon's eyes turned into a spiral, so I'm wondering if the other one follows, and he becomes a person who never ages after a certain point. >.>; Maybe he lives on forever.
He's Obi Wan Kenobi.

Nevertheless, the more I rewatch the episode the more it seems to me Simon's heart was shattered by the finale. From the moment he watches Nia's figure shimmering inside Lagann his eyes change completely and take a much more melancholic design.
Old 2007-10-01, 08:59   Link #250
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

While i really thing that these series were great the....throwing with galaxy's was just too much...
- 1,5 point.

In the end our main hero just wanders around with his digging tool? Boota still alive...Viral doesnt seem to age or barely aged.
- 0,5 point.

Gurren Lagann was an awesome anime...really.
So i voted an 8 out of 10. These series have ended before they became boring...so i'd give it a total 8/10 for the complete series of Gurren Lagann .
Old 2007-10-01, 10:48   Link #251
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I feel bad for Simon.

I don't mind that he relinquished the core drill, or that he sought a peaceful life. But in the end, he chose to be so alone. A mole pig for only companion? And poor Boota lost his evolved body, too.

It's the same for Yoko. Sure, she had her students, but she never married, never had kids of her own? Sad. I wish she and Simon had shared their solitude.

Other than that, the last fight just didn't do it for me. Since the start of the episode, I was pretty much "OK, this is it, I get it. Get on with it."
Old 2007-10-01, 11:12   Link #252
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Johnny 5 View Post
While i really thing that these series were great the....throwing with galaxy's was just too much...
- 1,5 point.

In the end our main hero just wanders around with his digging tool? Boota still alive...Viral doesnt seem to age or barely aged.
- 0,5 point.

Gurren Lagann was an awesome anime...really.
So i voted an 8 out of 10. These series have ended before they became boring...so i'd give it a total 8/10 for the complete series of Gurren Lagann .
viral doesnt age, he's immortal remember?

Anyway.. I wept. The ending was brilliantly moving. I dont think i'll see a series that even comes close to this for many many years to come.
Old 2007-10-01, 11:59   Link #253
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

This ending is quite different from Diebuster and Mahoromatic - decade or two decade long time-skips always happen in Gainax epilogues, that's a tradition since Nadia broken only a couple times.

Diebuster was a happy end, I don't see how people could call it otherwise. It was also the SAME END to Gunbuster, so the people who didn't watch Gunbuster would have interpreted it as a "bad end".

Mahoromatic ended horribly, like a Greek tragedy. One guy has it all, then it gets taken away from him and he dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Johnny 5 View Post
- 1,5 point.
They weren't real galaxies, you know.
Old 2007-10-01, 12:24   Link #254
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Problem is, no one knows who he is - to the rest of the world, he might as well be a spectre wading through the tides of time. The world is indebted to Simon and it could never repay him for his deeds, but I think most people would wish the world TRIED to. But that's how tragic heroes are in fiction - they reject lesser spoils of war if they missed the grand prize.
I suppose it was a little tragic that the hero couldn't get the girl (but he did save her soul and they were able to love each other so that's something) but I don't consider Simon a tragic hero. A tragic hero is one that experiences his own downfall or has a tragic flaw. Simon did not experience any such downfall. He already accomplished what he set out to do. He broke that hole through heaven and now he has paved the way for others to go through it. That was his choice and there is nothing tragic about it.

The only thing is some fans can't accept Simon living a quiet life like that. They want him to go out in a blaze of glory but that isn't what Simon wants. We don't know what Simon does on his wanders. I would like to believe he still helps people (like that little boy) but probably in a more simple manner than fighting enemies in space. Simon knows other people can handle that now. He really looked content to me at the end. Even when he said he was nobody, he laughed about it. I think he just realized his time was over and it was now someone else's time. Simon probably doesn't care about being remembered by the world. His friends and loved ones will always remember him though and that is what is important.

Quote:
Old master types usually die gloriously, though, not humbly. Even Obi-Wan Kenobi stepped out of retirement to go out with a voomp.
This is like comparing apples and oranges. Obi-Wan Kenobi was actually pretty downhearted before Luke came along because he had to watch all his friends get slaughtered by his own best friend. He wasn't retired he was hiding out. Simon on the other hand already accomplished what he set out to do.

Even when Obi-Wan stepped out of retirement it was to sacrifice his life for Luke (the younger generation). I am sure if it was needed Simon would also sacrifice his life for the younger generation but I kind of hope he wouldn't have to.
Old 2007-10-01, 13:02   Link #255
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

A lot of deep discussion going on (which is often the sign of a good series) but i'm not gonna try and wade my way into it. I'm still at a loss for words I guess. Just finished watching the last episode.

10/10

Best Overall Series I've seen in a while.
Old 2007-10-01, 13:39   Link #256
7Th
Mixtape

Simon is indeed close to a tragic hero. Even if he succeeds, he is never able to attain real happiness, he broke the heavens... but those are heavens he will never come to experience. He had to lose everything in order to accomplish his objective. He watched Kamina die due to his weakness, without being able to move a finger. When he watched Nia's decaying body turn into ash and it was clear from his eyes he understood that joy was not in his future.
Old 2007-10-01, 13:44   Link #257
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

He didn't have to lose everything. Sure, he lost Kamina and Nia. But the rest he threw away by his own choice.
Old 2007-10-01, 13:52   Link #258
7Th
Mixtape

Simon's life were Kamina and Nia, though. Remember how after Nia's Anti-Spiral awakening in episode 17 he basically lost his will to fight during the whole Rossiu arc? How after Kamina died he was willing do die avenging him before meeting Nia? He lost everything he cared for.
Old 2007-10-01, 14:11   Link #259
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Why Gainax? WHY? All you had to do was let Nia live, not change anything else, and have them wander the earht together. Is that so god damn hard? Everything was leading up to a happy ending...and the comes the big shaft. We got Gainax'ed AGAIN. How many times does this make? Evangelion ending +1 shaft (cause of debates and no real explanations), Mahoromatic ending +1 shaft, Kono Minikuku Mo Utsukushii Sekai +1 shaft, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann +1 shaft.

So there we go, 4 series witch could have ended happily if ONE thing aws different. It would not have been perfect endings, but there is no need for perfect. Why do you insist on these "he won but still lost" endings?
Old 2007-10-01, 14:31   Link #260
Masj
saiko denwa o narimashita

Thumbs up

Alright the ending of this years number one show was great maybe not as I wanted it but still awesome.

I kind of miss the things from the first episode, but maybe the announcement of
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Shisen Genshikou solves that.

http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/gu...so_fast!/2889/

Anyway this was one hotblooded , blasted action packed experience it's been long since i followed a show with such passion as this one.

puh I guess i will have to wait a decade to see something as good as this again

May the memories of the garlocks never fade
Closed Thread