AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-03-17, 23:53   Link #261
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Spoiler alert.........this is highly subjective.

Like others said tastes change in people as you age.

However I can get someone when they say they "grow out of anime". To keep things simple, personally I think anime doesn't completely appeal to my same 25 year old sensiblities as it did as a 15 year old. Every thing was fresh new and exciting (especially compared to US cartoons).

Now I realize that anime has it's own limitations and boundaries just like the US Marketplace. It caters to its built in audiences just like our shows do.

I don't watch nearly as much shows as I used to, but I still love the stuff. I'm just not a huge fan of the modern dough-eyed cutsey girl designs and the fact that almost every single show takes place in high school or at least it feels that way. I guess I just don't really like a lot of modern anime tropes.
Right before the big economy crash, we were starting to see studios try more interesting variations. Shows in college or adult settings, different art, etc. The crash made anime studios risk-averse. Hopefully, as the Japanese economy improves and more target demographics have jobs - we'll see more variety again.
Old 2013-03-19, 01:03   Link #262
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I just realized this because of the new anime this coming season..

I'm beginning to get tired of anime that falls under the category moe, loli, all girls and slice of life.... I say when they are all in the same anime...

It's becoming boring IMHO. It's all about cute stuff... really it's getting boring... it's being over used.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 05:38   Link #263
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post

I'm beginning to get tired of anime that falls under the category moe, loli, all girls and slice of life.... I say when they are all in the same anime...

It's becoming boring IMHO. It's all about cute stuff... really it's getting boring... it's being over used.
this is where you start looking at sci-fi, seinen, action shounen (for all the bad things we say about the genre, Hunter x Hunter 2011 and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure have not disappointed me) and other genres.
Old 2013-03-19, 06:22   Link #264
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
this is where you start looking at sci-fi, seinen, action shounen (for all the bad things we say about the genre, Hunter x Hunter 2011 and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure have not disappointed me) and other genres.
Actually adding romance to the combination always change my view... but that will not be an all girls anime anymore.
Old 2013-03-22, 20:09   Link #265
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:

This.

Spring looks awful this year for the most part...but at least there are some series that don't have moeblobs.
Old 2013-03-23, 18:29   Link #266
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:

Its been like this for several years now. You pretty much can't escape it. Its more for making a quick buck than having a good story. And yeah moe is pretty overrated...
Old 2013-03-23, 20:27   Link #267
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
Its been like this for several years now. You pretty much can't escape it. Its more for making a quick buck than having a good story. And yeah moe is pretty overrated...
Kind of makes one wonder what the next trend will be....
Old 2013-03-23, 22:43   Link #268
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
Some of the series have been quite good, but like *any* genre there's a lot of crap to sift through to find the few gems.

Personally, it seems like to me they're going to have to recycle a previous genre and perhaps mix a couple of genres -- as we're seeing, they' well into the middle of "cute girls doing gar things" so it's a coin flip as to the next mix.

Personally, I thought the industry bounced away from series like H&C, Hataraki Man, REC, (stories about young adults) far too quickly. Once the economy stabilizes - maybe we'll at least see some more variety and risk-taking by producers.
Old 2013-03-24, 02:08   Link #269
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

I hope that at least two of the three new mecha series airing this Spring, and in particular the Sunrise one, does well.

An actual mecha renaissance might at least persuade anime producers to get a little bit more outside of their comfort zone, and look for commercial successes in series that aren't purely, or even largely, rooted in moe.

But I will say that Spring 2013 looks pretty weak for a Spring season to me.

The one thing I will say in defense of moe, all-girls, and slice of life shows is that it is somewhat impressive how anime is able to constantly refine these, and come ever closer to a sort of platonic ideal with them. Love Live!, for example, strikes me as right on the cusp of the platonic ideal of a moe show. I mean, if you like moe, as a concept, I don't know many shows that captures that concept as well and with such totality, as what Love Live does. But admittedly, even these gradual refinements might lose their appeal in time without greater diversification throughout anime as a whole.
Old 2013-03-24, 05:45   Link #270
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Love Live!, for example...
It's not loli... I mean anime like Hidamari Sketch and likes... *runs and hide
Old 2013-03-24, 08:38   Link #271
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
It's not loli... I mean anime like Hidamari Sketch and likes... *runs and hide
I agree. Love Live! is not loli. That's why I never mentioned 'loli', but only slice of life, all-girls, and moe.
Old 2013-03-24, 09:43   Link #272
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Some of the series have been quite good, but like *any* genre there's a lot of crap to sift through to find the few gems.

Personally, it seems like to me they're going to have to recycle a previous genre and perhaps mix a couple of genres -- as we're seeing, they' well into the middle of "cute girls doing gar things" so it's a coin flip as to the next mix.

Personally, I thought the industry bounced away from series like H&C, Hataraki Man, REC, (stories about young adults) far too quickly. Once the economy stabilizes - maybe we'll at least see some more variety and risk-taking by producers.
I think I'm starting to see a few trends pop up this year and last including:

- The moe girl that's also fills the role of the action hero as you mentioned
- the aloof heroine that overwhelms and confuddles the rest of the cast with her personality and bends things to their will
- characters with Chuunism or who are very open about being otaku
- imoutos and onii-chans who get along a little too well
- Idols in general

There already seem to be some fusions going on and newer "edgier" trends starting up and now I'd swear loli is no longer really as popular as some of the tropes I mentioned above.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 19:10   Link #273
AnimeFan188

Growing out of Anime? Get back in!:

How to Embrace Anime and Never Look Back:

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-embrace-an...back-485944115

AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:16   Link #274
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Finally it came to this. From this day on I stopped becoming an anime fan after 18 years of being so. It was its current industry trend that actually killed me.

Back then when I was a kid I used to see some good shows like Rurouni Kenshin, Slam Dunk, Ranma 1/2 and Cardcaptor Sakura and today where these shows go? Instead what I got are generic action/ecchi/harem/moe shows for guys and generic romance/bishounen/reverse-harem/shouta shows for girls. Now anime industry have turned into something like junk food one. Produced in mass quantities, cheap, having little lasting values and can be quickly forgotten as you digest them. Yeah it's true Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter but it just not enough. At least for me those shows are good but nowhere as "masterpiece" and "exemplary" as most people claimed. Clannad is probably the last show that actually plot-driven despite being less than 50 episodes long(both seasons).

The only decent shounen shows right now are also quick cash-grabbing shows like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach(now ended) and Fairy Tail. Toriko is also heading in that way too. I know without these shows the industry itself will be in jeopardy but that's not an excuse not to make better plot-driven shows. About the plot most of the popular shounen shows are pulled for too long. Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are the biggest offenders(though I personally picked for One Piece because it is older than the other two). What's worse they are some shounen shows that actually tried to appeal teenage girls and young adult women instead of intended marketing audience(teenage boys). I'm not going to argue about that further but some people already figured what I'm try to say even they actually disagree with me.

While the industry itself is never better or worse than in recent years but I think I need to stop here. Ore no Imouto 2 will be the last anime I ever saw as an anime fan. It is sad to let it go of what already part of myself for 18 years but someday we need to say goodbye to our best friend. For me the day is today.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:27   Link #275
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
Finally it came to this. From this day on I stopped becoming an anime fan after 18 years of being so. It was its current industry trend that actually killed me.

Back then when I was a kid I used to see some good shows like Rurouni Kenshin, Slam Dunk, Ranma 1/2 and Cardcaptor Sakura and today where these shows go? Instead what I got are generic action/ecchi/harem/moe shows for guys and generic romance/bishounen/reverse-harem/shouta shows for girls. Now anime industry have turned into something like junk food one. Produced in mass quantities, cheap, having little lasting values and can be quickly forgotten as you digest them. Yeah it's true Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter but it just not enough. At least for me those shows are good but nowhere as "masterpiece" and "exemplary" as most people claimed. Clannad is probably the last show that actually plot-driven despite being less than 50 episodes long(both seasons).

The only decent shounen shows right now are also quick cash-grabbing shows like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach(now ended) and Fairy Tail. Toriko is also heading in that way too. I know without these shows the industry itself will be in jeopardy but that's not an excuse not to make better plot-driven shows. About the plot most of the popular shounen shows are pulled for too long. Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are the biggest offenders(though I personally picked for One Piece because it is older than the other two). What's worse they are some shounen shows that actually tried to appeal teenage girls and young adult women instead of intended marketing audience(teenage boys). I'm not going to argue about that further but some people already figured what I'm try to say even they actually disagree with me.

While the industry itself is never better or worse than in recent years but I think I need to stop here. Ore no Imouto 2 will be the last anime I ever saw as an anime fan. It is sad to let it go of what already part of myself for 18 years but someday we need to say goodbye to our best friend. For me the day is today.
Sounds like another case of the "nostalgia factor" here. Most people only "remember the good ones" when they use examples, while back then there were also plenty of bad shows.
Let's take the examples from your own post
Rurouni Kenshin - 1996
Slam Dunk -1993
Ranma 1/2 - 1989
Cardcaptor Sakura - 1998

The timegap between those examples is pretty big

Perhaps due to the changed anime trend the majority of shows don't appeal to you and that's fine. However this part does raise some questions
Quote:
generic action/ecchi/harem/moe shows for guys and generic romance/bishounen/reverse-harem/shouta shows for girls
I don't agree with your inaccurate overgeneralization of "today's animes" and you might have not been searching/watching the right series.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:30   Link #276
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

@NK_500:

While we never friends but at least I'm the one who actually sympathized you since we both had similar taste in anime. I'm not going to stop you but let me give you an advice. Never ever lose hope on anime industry even it is indeed sucks. Yes you're right there are too many craps have been produced lately regardless their marketing audiences but there still some gold hidden between them. Just keep on panning for gold while let the sand(crappy shows) drifted away.

About "shounen" shows for girls it also bothers me too but at same time it will not going to plague the industry for too long(flash in the pan if you prefer).

EDIT:

@hyl: Back then the industry wasn't as competitive as today and it was a good time for experiment. Slam Dunk probably fall into Naruto and Bleach category too by comparison but at least it wasn't as long(although incomplete).
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:40   Link #277
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post

I looked at your post and then your anime list linked to in your signature. I'm under the impression that you're only choosing to look at the most popular and generic-looking stuff instead of delving deeper into recent anime.

For one thing, if you're so tired of these "junk food" types of anime, why are you still watching them? Why watch trash like Total Eclipse and Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai, and not From the New World, Wolf Children, or Steins;Gate? Have you even heard of these anime? Do they look like generic action/ecchi shounen to you?

And there are tons of great older and not-that-recent anime that don't show up in your list. Have you tried Kaiba, Texhnolyze, or Key the Metal Idol? You don't always have to watch current anime, you know.

All I see are sweeping, inaccurate assumptions of the direction of the industry born from ignorance.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:41   Link #278
hyl
reading #hikaributts

*cough cough*
Shounen series such as Rurouni Kenshin and Slam Dunk actually attracted fujoshi's ....

I rest my case
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:41   Link #279
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I don't agree with your inaccurate overgeneralization of "today's animes" and you might have not been searching/watching the right series.
Aren't ONLY watching 3 good anime and ignoring 10 bad ones and saying anime in general in that season is at it's best is also not accurate?

Add 3 to the 10 makes it generally a worst season.
Old 2013-05-31, 21:43   Link #280
NK_500
Disabled By Request

When I was kid the only source for anime is TV. It had all of those shows shown together in same year so I have no idea about the year it came from. Even that was too long.

Have you ever heard of Hagemaru? It was bad even make Crayon Shin-chan like a masterpiece and bigger suprise, it came even before Shin-chan. I'm glad most English-speaking people never heard of it so they don't had the same torment as I had when I was a kid. Yes there are some buried trash too and I believe Hagemaru is one of them.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote