Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-20, 21:56   Link #501
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
can't really speculate much until we know more about the virus. i don't get how you people judge the show based on 3 eps..
She doesn't seem to be "acting normally" from the interaction with Maria. Adults or teens generally don't insist on playing with another adult like she did.

I guess those people heard about the game and the spin-off scenario and was expecting something else...
Old 2009-07-20, 21:57   Link #502
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Seems like the old geezer with the Mini Uzi is the anti-terrorist official in episode 1.

And yeah, wishing for more Jouji "Taxi Driver" Nakata from now on.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 22:00   Link #503
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Seems like the old geezer with the Mini Uzi is the anti-terrorist official in episode 1.

And yeah, wishing for more Jouji "Taxi Driver" Nakata from now on.
Actually episode 3 would say somethig differently...
Old 2009-07-20, 22:27   Link #504
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
She doesn't seem to be "acting normally" from the interaction with Maria. Adults or teens generally don't insist on playing with another adult like she did.

I guess those people heard about the game and the spin-off scenario and was expecting something else...
I would gather that most of her behavior is based on her past rather than some sort of aging gap. Maria is her first friend and as such she acts like one would expect for someone who has never had a friend before. Especially since Maria acts childish too. I wouldn't go jumping to the conclusion that this meant she aged differently. There is obviously a difference with how she acts with Maria than with others.

And I don't know why you'd assume a teenage wouldn't insist on playing around with someone else. Most of my teenage years was running around with friends and getting into trouble.
Old 2009-07-20, 23:28   Link #505
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

In reference to the end of the episode: That really sucks for Canaan...I guess that`s one reason why synthesia sucks. Otherwise, it`s a pretty cool thing to have XD.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-20, 23:50   Link #506
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I'm with Maria. Despite seeing Canaan running around shooting people the day before, and knowing she's been doing this her whole life, I too was SHOCKED when she shot yet another person.

Since, after all, she should have filleted him with a knife to get the "disarmer" out intact.

Overall Canaan is fun, funny, and exciting (more than can be said for, say, Madlax) and as long as it stays that way I don't care if the serious element is mainly window-dressing. Mixing comic and serious is hard to do skillfully, though certainly when it works the result can be very impressive (like Full Metal Panic, for example, though the serious part was not quite perfectly executed). More often, though, one side fails and ruins the whole mix.

I anticipate, however, that frivolity will decline and drama increase over the series, since that's the normal pattern.
Old 2009-07-20, 23:59   Link #507
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
She doesn't seem to be "acting normally" from the interaction with Maria. Adults or teens generally don't insist on playing with another adult like she did....
The translation may give a slightly wrong impression. In Japanese they say "go and play," when we would say "get together" or "go out."
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 01:02   Link #508
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

I think if they were talking about "getting together" or "going out" people would get a more far-out impression, though...
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 01:46   Link #509
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
I think if they were talking about "getting together" or "going out" people would get a more far-out impression, though...
Hey, even the boy that kidnaps Maria calls Canaan and Maria's ice cream scene lots of flirting...
Old 2009-07-21, 02:27   Link #510
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
Hey, even the boy that kidnaps Maria calls Canaan and Maria's ice cream scene lots of flirting...
Should've given them one big sundae to share.

... Er, anyhow...

I'm amazed that Maria was so shocked seeing her kill that boy (though he's not really a boy). Over the course of this series alone she's seen dead bodies, and I can't say anything about what she's seen before this series started. Plus there's the fact that when Canaan brought her to her place (bowchickab-... Imeanwut?) it was full of guns and grenades.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that she was surprised, considering her character, but I guess I just wish she would've put two and two together with the guns and the grenades.
Old 2009-07-21, 02:39   Link #511
Double_Edge
Cool Lander

Is this a prequel or sequel to FSN? I just skimmed the op and I don't really see any connections. Except gun skills like Shirous daddy.
Old 2009-07-21, 02:41   Link #512
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
Since, after all, she should have filleted him with a knife to get the "disarmer" out intact.
I was expecting her to wip out a knife and gut him too. But on 2nd thought it kind of kills the 'grace' of her skill.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 03:50   Link #513
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Edge View Post
Is this a prequel or sequel to FSN? I just skimmed the op and I don't really see any connections. Except gun skills like Shirous daddy.
It has no connection storywise to F/SN.
Old 2009-07-21, 04:12   Link #514
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Show's declining with each week for me. They just keep throwing in more stupid shit, while all the characters continue to act like annoying retards. Animation's getting worse too. Ep3 was totally outsourced to korea. :/ :/ :/
You're a fucking tool, FYI.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 04:36   Link #515
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
You're a fucking tool, FYI.
How is he? Have you got something against people with different opinions?
Old 2009-07-21, 04:47   Link #516
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
I lol'd at the club scene, how she flashed him just like that.
That actually came out of nowhere... I'm still trying to make sense out of it (well unless the club is that sort of place *cough*). Ask for interview -> Receive *FLASH*

Quote:
So does Canaan's physiological appearance = mental age? The older assassin from last episode was aged due to the effects of the virus experiment and body stress. So can we assume that Canaan is actually a lot younger than she appears? That would account for her childlike behaviour.
I was thinking the same thing. In some instances she seems like 20+, in others 12+... that the virus inhibits her mental growth might be like the old man doesn't seem impossible. It's just that she doesn't act one age all the time, like he did, setting this out of sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The translation may give a slightly wrong impression. In Japanese they say "go and play," when we would say "get together" or "go out."
THat language wall again I see. Makes sense.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 08:38   Link #517
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
And I don't know why you'd assume a teenage wouldn't insist on playing around with someone else. Most of my teenage years was running around with friends and getting into trouble.
But you didn't hopefully say "Let's go out and play." "I want to play." It's not age appropriate. Also, the way she said it was not age appropriate given the context of the scene.

It's the same way with the mute girl (another virus victim). Some of what she does is not age appropriate like playing in a fountain and accepting food from a stranger. For the mute girl, she's almost acting like a tame kitten. That's weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post

I was thinking the same thing. In some instances she seems like 20+, in others 12+... that the virus inhibits her mental growth might be like the old man doesn't seem impossible. It's just that she doesn't act one age all the time, like he did, setting this out of sync.
But even during the hit assignment she was using ammo to break balloons and shooting a toy at a stall because she was bored. A normally thinking adult assassin wouldn't risk getting exposed to do such a feat.

Last edited by orion; 2009-07-21 at 08:51.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 09:16   Link #518
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I don't think Canaan have any problems with her mental age. She has been quite isolated from the society (in loose sense) and the term she used could be from the TV (well she mentioned that in Ep 2) or books or whatever she got her hand on.
About the baloon+toy shooting , i don't think that kind of behaviours are strange either. True that an adult assassin won't risk their life in such case. But here we have Canaan, a pretty much overpowered human (go so far as have firearm but choose iron poles facing against sub-machine guns). Image yourself with such power and i bet you don't mind playing with it or stirring things up when you are bored (she went to pick up the toy when being chased also)

Anyway back to the EP:
Spoiler for Ep 3 Maria and Canaan:
Old 2009-07-21, 09:18   Link #519
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
But even during the hit assignment she was using ammo to break balloons and shooting a toy at a stall because she was bored. A normally thinking adult assassin wouldn't risk getting exposed to do such a feat.
Good observation, you got a point there. I have no idea what to think then and I'll let the story run its course.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 12:31   Link #520
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure Liang Ji shot Cummings with the HK USP gas gun since he got Alphard's attention and not her. He he.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animage, type moon