Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieMay View Post
Spoiler for Sara:
Spoiler for Dio, Exile keys and mysteria:
Angmartas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 06:22   Link #2704
hiroshi5

Poor script

I just watched episode 18 (i.e. #18 excluding the 2 recap/filler episodes) and felt
motivated to stick my neck out and make some comments, because this episode contained more than the usual amount of silliness, which others haven't fully addressed...
If you're behind with your viewing please note that these comments contain some spoilers.

The Ades factions stop fighting just because the child-ruler Sara says so. That's just so unlikely! In real life, child-rulers have never had executive power, said power being entrusted to a Regent, etc, and for very sound political reasons. There's too much at stake for a child-ruler to be allowed to play about. I could go on, but just bear in mind that our Queen Victoria, even as an adult, didn't have the power to do anything big without the support of her ministers. And in more brutal regimes, the autocratic ruler and his/her supporting clique are bound together by mutual self-interest and self-preservation, so there is no chance of a child ruler being allowed to do his/her own thing. Like the current head of North Korea, simultaneously autocrat and puppet.

The script tries to paint Luscinia and Liliana in shades of grey, because their policy is to kill off the surplus population that the planet cannot support. In reality, "too many people for the resources to support" is an extremely elastic concept. Our hunter-gatherer distant ancestors would find our world unbelievably overpopulated, as such populations could not be sustained by the means they were familiar with. Over a hundred years ago, Malthus and others wrote that the world's population was growing beyond the capability of the world to support it. The world's population has vastly increased since then, but so has the supply of
food and other goods. Where famine exists, it is primarily caused by war (East Africa) or poltical factors (North Korea). It is alleged that even in the UK, some poor people are going hungry, but this is not caused by an absolute lack of food or resources, but by economic inequality.
As for using war to reduce the population, the 50,000,000 or so killed by the terrible WWII were soon made up by populaton growth. So even smashing everything up with a terrible war wouldn't work (a sure case of the cure being worse than the disease?)
And just in case you were wondering, a while ago somebody checked out the notion of shipping the surplus population out to Mars or space colonies, and concluded that ship-building and launching couldn't keep pace with population growth.
So how can a rising population be checked? The consensus is that economic security + contraception policies ought to do it.
In short, this part of the script is rubbish.

Then we have everybody celebrating and having a ball because the fighting has ended. A bit premature, one might think. In reality, wars, and especially civil wars, where large numbers of people have been killed, tend to leave a nasty after-taste. All isn't matey in Libya right now. Rancour persists for scores, or even hundreds of years (ask the Irish.)

And then Millia wanders around on her own and goes off with a couple of people into what turns out to be a rather compromising situation. Since she's head of what's left of Turan, should't her faction be a bit more careful? Then this sub-faction wants her to solve the Liliana problem by murdering her sister? What twaddle! They could achieve the result they need just by proclaiming Liliana an unfit ruler or non-person, and if they sincerely believe she has to be eliminated, only a bunch of imbeciles would employ the sister rather than a professional assassin. (I gasped with annoyance and disbelief at this scene!) And would the wily Luscinia, having got Millia in his clutches, ever release her from his "protection"? I don't think so!

Then in the final incident the assassin's behaviour looks a bit dramatically contrived. Shooting either Liliana or Luscinia, or both, would be a good result, so why stop firing after two shots and just stand there? In real life, gunmen (like the vile Moat here in the UK) have carrried on their rampage, re-loading and firing until they run out of ammunition or are stopped by superior force. (another example - IIRC the man who shot a Congresswoman in the USA emptied his gun and was able to run away, to be arrested later.)

Yes, it's just an anime, but so many credibility problems in one episode?
I anticipate that some readers will want to reply to this - hopefully in terms more
interesting than "the anime is perfect and you're so wrong"...
hiroshi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 08:14   Link #2705
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiroshi5 View Post
The Ades factions stop fighting just because the child-ruler Sara says so. That's just so unlikely!
The thing is, this isn't real-life. For many of the higher-ranking leaders of the Ades Federation (mainly the heads of the five main fleets) Sara isn't just the Empress, but also family, and Sara herself feels the same way (which was why she was so torn up about Sorush's death). Everything that they've done up to the civil war was, in one way or another, for her. So they'd be more inclined to listen to what she says, even though she IS also a ten-year-old girl.

Quote:
The script tries to paint Luscinia and Liliana in shades of grey, because their policy is to kill off the surplus population that the planet cannot support.
What Luscinia think's is the truth doesn't necessarily mean it's the truth. Personally I think he's just throwing out justifications that seem logical at first, as a cover for his real motivations (likely just wipe the slate clean -- you can have peace when everyone else is dead, after all). Previous posters have already mentioned for example the fact that the land where Anatoray-Disith has occupied seems to have sat empty for years. Why didn't Ades expand to that area? Why didn't the Federation even go out and explore that area to begin with?

Quote:
Then we have everybody celebrating and having a ball because the fighting has ended. A bit premature, one might think.
I don't know about you, but I felt some tension during the ball. It was like everyone was just pretending to be nice to each other, when in fact thing were still close to coming tumbling down (which was exactly what happens at the end).

Quote:
And then Millia wanders around on her own and goes off with a couple of people into what turns out to be a rather compromising situation. Since she's head of what's left of Turan, should't her faction be a bit more careful?
Well the conspirators weren't exactly portrayed as rational to begin with. They saw Liliana as a threat and a disgrace, and they wanted her out of the way ASAP. And declare her unfit to rule? At this point in time Turan's 'government' consists of just Milia. What is she to do? Put out a public announcement condemning her sister? She doesn't have the political clout to even do so.

Quote:
Then in the final incident the assassin's behaviour looks a bit dramatically contrived. Shooting either Liliana or Luscinia, or both, would be a good result, so why stop firing after two shots and just stand there?
It looked like the weapon used by Dian looks awfully similar to an old Derringer, which would fit with the late 19th to early-20th century feel of the setting (barring the flying ships and Guild tech of course). The derringer is an easily-concealed weapon that, at MOST, can fire two shots. As for the whole thing feeling contrived, I have a feeling that the whole thing was set up by Luscinia for maximum spectacle, since this week's episode shows that he doesn't NEED protection, and can dodge bullets just fine (he IS Guild, after all).

And yes, bringing up real-life examples from our own history doesn't really work at times, so don't even try. Take it from this fifteen-year veteran.
Old 2012-03-10, 11:28   Link #2706
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Ok, this was an exciting episode.

Spoiler for ep21:
Old 2012-03-10, 12:02   Link #2707
Joachim1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Ok, this was an exciting episode.

Spoiler for ep21:
Well, knowing Fam and company, it's gonna involve something incredibly heroic and absolutely insane.
Joachim1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 12:16   Link #2708
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Joachim1167: Not to mention bone-headedly stupid that everyone else would think it's suicidal... But it's just another day for Fam.

Speaking of which, I think I'll call it now: Fam will get herself in trouble, forcing Sadri to step in and protect her.
Old 2012-03-10, 14:40   Link #2709
Joachim1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Joachim1167: Not to mention bone-headedly stupid that everyone else would think it's suicidal... But it's just another day for Fam.

Speaking of which, I think I'll call it now: Fam will get herself in trouble, forcing Sadri to step in and protect her.
I didn't say Fam by herself. I said 'Fam and company' in response to MrTerrorist's post referencing 'Fam and what remains of the Alliance'. At this point, ANYONE thinking of taking on the Grand Exile would probably be considered stupid and suicidal.

Spoiler for speculation:
Joachim1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 15:04   Link #2710
TheKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angmartas View Post
Spoiler for Dio, Exile keys and mysteria:
I definitely agree with you.
I don't think we can take the Anatoray-Disith Prester's Guild as the norm. They clearly had issues with their history and Delphine took control as Maestro from the former Maestro James Hamilton (Alvis's grandfather). I wonder if it's possible that since Alvis's house carried the Key line, that others in the House of Hamilton were more connected with their advances in bioengineering that allowed them to create successful Guild members that were voted to be Maestro by the Guild Principals.

I'm honestly not surprised by the Augusta->Maestro happening.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 05:06   Link #2711
Jokun

Ok, it's funny and annoying that the Silvius gets boarded, again, by those same pasty-faced assassins and by Aluada as well. You'd thought they've learned from the same experience before and made the necessary measures of that not happening again but I guess they never learn.

Also what does Dio and Alvis do at that crucial moment, plans on running away, again. They've been practically running for most part of the series and the writers want them to run away based on similar circumstances in these last few episodes?
Jokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 07:28   Link #2712
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim1167 View Post
Well, knowing Fam and company, it's gonna involve something incredibly heroic and absolutely insane.
Like ram her Vespa to Exile and die in vain, right? .

Last edited by Panzerklein; 2012-03-11 at 07:54.
Panzerklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 08:06   Link #2713
Ami-chan
Raging Ami-chan Fanboy

Quote:
The Ades factions stop fighting just because the child-ruler Sara says so. That's just so unlikely! In real life, child-rulers have never had executive power, said power being entrusted to a Regent, etc, and for very sound political reasons. There's too much at stake for a child-ruler to be allowed to play about. I could go on, but just bear in mind that our Queen Victoria, even as an adult, didn't have the power to do anything big without the support of her ministers. And in more brutal regimes, the autocratic ruler and his/her supporting clique are bound together by mutual self-interest and self-preservation, so there is no chance of a child ruler being allowed to do his/her own thing. Like the current head of North Korea, simultaneously autocrat and puppet.
This situation is a bit different. Both factions are running off their crews' loyalties to the child queen and their country. The first side to show their "true" colors loses the support of his or her soldiers. Luscinia understands this and wants to make sure everyone sees that his head is on straight, just that he is aiming for the "shortest path to peace", as they put it. Also, Sara never technically ended the fighting -- it would have gone on regardless of her if the people in charge deemed it fit. Rather than obeying an order, the resulting truce was thanks to the generals and such honoring her will. Nobody who kills a queen -- a child one at that -- has a future in positions of influence within a military or a country, as they are painted as traitors and lose the public trust. As for your main point, do notice how Sara wasn't allowed to make any decisions by herself and how she always had a council around to help lead the country. It is just as you said, child rulers are put in their position early to learn from those around them until they are fit to rule by themselves.

Quote:
The script tries to paint Luscinia and Liliana in shades of grey, because their policy is to kill off the surplus population that the planet cannot support. In reality, "too many people for the resources to support" is an extremely elastic concept. Our hunter-gatherer distant ancestors would find our world unbelievably overpopulated, as such populations could not be sustained by the means they were familiar with. Over a hundred years ago, Malthus and others wrote that the world's population was growing beyond the capability of the world to support it. The world's population has vastly increased since then, but so has the supply of food and other goods. Where famine exists, it is primarily caused by war (East Africa) or poltical factors (North Korea). It is alleged that even in the UK, some poor people are going hungry, but this is not caused by an absolute lack of food or resources, but by economic inequality.
As for using war to reduce the population, the 50,000,000 or so killed by the terrible WWII were soon made up by populaton growth. So even smashing everything up with a terrible war wouldn't work (a sure case of the cure being worse than the disease?)
And just in case you were wondering, a while ago somebody checked out the notion of shipping the surplus population out to Mars or space colonies, and concluded that ship-building and launching couldn't keep pace with population growth.
So how can a rising population be checked? The consensus is that economic security + contraception policies ought to do it.
In short, this part of the script is rubbish.
I don't know if you noticed, but the military facet of this plot pretty much mirrors the events of WW2. Hitler decided that there wasn't enough room, or Lebensraum as he put it, and started attacking everyone around him. As they took down country after country, they adopted these new peoples as slaves in their war efforts. Eventually, there was an allied effort large enough to challenge his movement because they believed his views were dumb and irrational. In the end, he kills himself and the Allies win.

Putting your socioeconomic views aside, I think you're misinterpreting their point. The whole idea wasn't to tell us that killing people to create room for the future population is okay. They weren't trying to put those two characters into an "Oh, I see. They're actually trying to save the world!" position. I think they wanted to reinforce that Luscinia and Liliana are indeed wrong, and are blindly pushing towards an end without considering the means. I guess you can consider that a gray area. But in no way was their volition justified. It's actually quite the contrary. The entire series, they've been painted as the villains, but we were always given some kind of hope that they may have goals that make all the deaths and suffering worth it. Think TTGL, the Spiral King was the villain the entire show. Until you see that he was protecting the humans from themselves. But even then, they chose freedom and decided to kick the universe's ass. Because that what we've been raised to think is right. Luscinia and Liliana are the villains who, in their minds, think they're doing the world a greater good. But they're alone and the protagonists in the this show will show them how wrong they are.

Whether or not it's viable for all the people of the world to be economically satisfied together has nothing to do with whether or not the script is rubbish. If that is the case, then the scripts for pretty much any show that happens to have misguided characters is rubbish. And it's not quite clear yet, either, that completely happiness is possible. Currently, the economic satisfaction of many countries is dependent on the lower economic status of all the other countries that support them. Also, the thing about economic inequality...is that it leads to fighting and war. Believe it or not, resources are limited.

Quote:
Then we have everybody celebrating and having a ball because the fighting has ended. A bit premature, one might think. In reality, wars, and especially civil wars, where large numbers of people have been killed, tend to leave a nasty after-taste. All isn't matey in Libya right now. Rancour persists for scores, or even hundreds of years (ask the Irish.)
Haters gonna hate. Seriously, dude. If you were in a war for your country and watched friends and family die all around you. And then, even if it's just for a day, a truce was reached. You seriously think you'd keep your guns loaded and cocked and shoot anyone that looked at you wrong? These guy are happy because they don't have to kill their friends anymore and their life expectancies went higher than a week. Give them a break.

Quote:
And then Millia wanders around on her own and goes off with a couple of people into what turns out to be a rather compromising situation. Since she's head of what's left of Turan, should't her faction be a bit more careful? Then this sub-faction wants her to solve the Liliana problem by murdering her sister? What twaddle! They could achieve the result they need just by proclaiming Liliana an unfit ruler or non-person, and if they sincerely believe she has to be eliminated, only a bunch of imbeciles would employ the sister rather than a professional assassin. (I gasped with annoyance and disbelief at this scene!) And would the wily Luscinia, having got Millia in his clutches, ever release her from his "protection"? I don't think so!
And they have done this before. The problem being, it requires other countries to renounce her as the ruler for her kingdom. This isn't a republic or a democracy, it is a monarchy. Leadership over these countries is passed down by lineage. You can't just say "She's not our Queen anymore", you're pretty much at her mercy unless you're willing to start a civil war. And look what had just transpired, a civil war. In this situation, it is very much expected that there are factions out there that want her dead. It takes away any authority she has immediately. Look at Millia. Liliana had already taken away her position as Princess for the country of Turan, but she just went into exile and kept her position anyway because others around the world didn't care what Liliana said. This is a monarchy. No matter what others say, you are royalty by blood. Even if you "lose" your position for a while, you can retake that position and succeed the throne when your other family members have died or passed away.

And why would Luscinia let her go? Because although he is misguided and very much a villain, she does not matter to him. He has a goal, and he has the means (Liliana and her Exile), another princess out there can't stop him now (unless Liliana dies *awkward*). I'm sure now he wishes he kept Millia around while he could, but that's besides the point. He brought her because her sister wanted to see her, he let her go because her sister wanted her to get back home safely. That is that. There is wrong, and there is pure evil. The latter they are not. It goes back to one of your earlier points. They are in no gray area, because they are wrong and view the world in a black and white scenario. But that does not mean they are the devil incarnate. Also, Liscinia isn't in a position to take Millia hostage. Alvias is still alive and managed to escape thanks to Dio. Also, he still has to be careful and make sure he keeps his position in the military without losing the faith of Sara. Other Exiles still exist and could very well stand in his path.

I feel like most of your points are naive, they would stand strong in a perfect world. But unfortunately, neither world -- that of the Last Exile or ours -- is perfect. Also, you're confusing what the script is saying with views they are trying to push. They are not saying killing entire countries and instilling population control with your military is the right thing to do. But they did decide to have it as a main point in the plot to instill thought and emotion within their viewers. They were successful. This by no means makes the script rubbish, and this adheres to many of your other points. The script may very well be rubbish, but not for the reasons you chose. Instead, it seems you're more angry that these characters don't agree with your political or socioeconomic view points and are blaming it on a "bad script".

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/mrjasonpark/Sigs%20and%20Avys/Momo-01-1.jpg
Ami-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 17:45   Link #2714
trowapeter

Well here's my guess on the nxt episode,

Millia assumed command of Silvius as the flagship of Turan fleet and possibly 5th fleet now that their general is dead.

And I was wondering if its possible that Fam was another key and granddaughter to General Sadri.

The "Exile" Luscinia is in might be created by Augusta's ancestor provided its hidden in the world their in and can only be activated by Augusta descendant.The other 5 "Exile" however were created by someone else/Augusta but the key were given to 5 capable ppl to allow them to escape the "calamity" that happened long ago?

There's something that make me thinking,there's 5 "Exile" and another 1 that belong to Glacies that was destroyed and until now there's only 2 key that are known.And where is Anatoray Empress Sophia gone to?
trowapeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 22:16   Link #2715
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by trowapeter View Post

Millia assumed command of Silvius as the flagship of Turan fleet and possibly 5th fleet now that their general is dead.

And I was wondering if its possible that Fam was another key and granddaughter to General Sadri.

The "Exile" Luscinia is in might be created by Augusta's ancestor provided its hidden in the world their in and can only be activated by Augusta descendant.The other 5 "Exile" however were created by someone else/Augusta but the key were given to 5 capable ppl to allow them to escape the "calamity" that happened long ago?

There's something that make me thinking,there's 5 "Exile" and another 1 that belong to Glacies that was destroyed and until now there's only 2 key that are known.And where is Anatoray Empress Sophia gone to?
There are 6 Exiles (as shown as six crescent moons) plus the Last Exile and Grand Exile just to be clear. Glacies got a hold of some of the Exile tech, but I'm not sure if this is yet another one in addition to the other ones already. The key to that Glacien Exile is dead since Alvis said she couldn't hear Glacies anymore.

However, one of the other Exiles may yet belong to Glacies with somebody else as the key. Of course, this is just me speculating so who knows.

Fam could be another to key to Exile cause her medallion hints that she might be.

As for Empress Sophia, she is coming back at some point just like Vincent said she would. I just hope she brings the Silvanna to the battlefield and gives Sadri a heart attack cause there's two of them now.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-11, 22:54   Link #2716
MeggieMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
There are 6 Exiles (as shown as six crescent moons) plus the Last Exile and Grand Exile just to be clear. Glacies got a hold of some of the Exile tech, but I'm not sure if this is yet another one in addition to the other ones already. The key to that Glacien Exile is dead since Alvis said she couldn't hear Glacies anymore.
It wasn't the Key that was dead (though it is kind of obvious it is - none of the "old men" we saw survived that bombardment) but the actual Exile that was on protecting the Glacians. Thing is, the Key could have/should have jumped to another person, so if Glacias Exile on the ground isn't really dead (we know Alvis couldn't hear it anymore but it can't be 100% ruled out it isn't dead) the Key could still be alive in a new person. That said, you've brought up a good point, in that we aren't 100% sure that what we saw on the ground was the Glacias Exile or something else. We know that the Key to it wasn't a female but a male so I'm not sure if the show was trying to set up a plot twist or what but it is worth remembering, IMO at least, in case a plot twist, like another Glacias Exile, shows up.

Quote:
As for Empress Sophia, she is coming back at some point just like Vincent said she would. I just hope she brings the Silvanna to the battlefield and gives Sadri a heart attack cause there's two of them now.
About Sadri
Spoiler:
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 00:56   Link #2717
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowapeter View Post

Millia is wearing Anatoray's black officer uniform with appropriate rank stripes i.e. She's commanding Silvius on behalf of Anatoray's navy.

The only creditable military power to fight Luscinia's Grand Exile is the people from United Kingdom of Anatoray-Disith.

Quote:
I didn't say Fam by herself. I said 'Fam and company' in response to MrTerrorist's post referencing 'Fam and what remains of the Alliance'. At this point, ANYONE thinking of taking on the Grand Exile would probably be considered stupid and suicidal.
If the Guild has designed the Grand Exile, then it may have similar weakness as the Guild battleship i.e. it's defence systems not designed against small fighters.

Both the Guild Battleship and Grand Exile seems to have similar weapons topology i.e. forward facing weapons array against slow large enemy design.

Typical sci-fi large particle beam design usually has weaknesses against fast moving small fighters.

It's not like Star Trek's Starfleet anti-capital level particle beam array that can double as an anti-small fighter weapon i.e. the ability divide the large particle beam's power into multiple smaller particle beams.

Last edited by encia; 2012-03-12 at 05:16.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 01:20   Link #2718
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami-chan View Post
Spoiler for length:
This was a completely fantastic post.

Quote:
Quote:

Spoiler for speculation:

Spoiler for speculation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
Spoiler for Mysteria:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 01:31   Link #2719
DangerMouse

Don't like double-posting but unrelated to previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
If the Guild has designed the Grand Exile, then it may have similar weakness as the Guild battleship i.e. it's defence systems not designed against small fighters.

Both the Guild Battleship and Grand Exile seems to have similar weapons topology i.e. present forward weapons array against slow large enemy design.

Typical sci-fi large particle beam design ussualy has weaknesses against fast moving small fighters.

It's not like Star Trek's Starfleet anti-capital level particle beam array that can double as an anti-small fighter weapon i.e. the ability divide the large particle beam's power into multiple smaller particle beams.
Agreed.

Also, thanks for that I needed the refresher.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 04:51   Link #2720
hiroshi5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post

And yes, bringing up real-life examples from our own history doesn't really work at times, so don't even try. Take it from this fifteen-year veteran.
The setup positively invites comparison with Western Europe in our world about a hundred years ago. So if comparisons are made, you shouldn't complain.
hiroshi5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, science fiction