AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-13, 11:30   Link #3261
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Old 2009-04-13, 13:45   Link #3262
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Really? I thought Bang Zoom! Entertainment was credited for both... who the hell did Bandai get to do the subs, then?
Bang Zoom! did the dub. Bandai did the subs themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Bandai may have a hand in the YouTube broadcast.

http://www.bandai-ent.com/

Bandai's website has this as an entry page. It's blank, just says "April 15, 2009" (day of the rebroadcast hitting YouTube) and typical of Haruhi-related US-based websites it's riddled with comments hidden within its HTML coding.
Huh. Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
*snip*
That manga is going to be STRAAAAAAAAANGE
Old 2009-04-13, 15:05   Link #3263
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Bandai's website has this as an entry page. It's blank, just says "April 15, 2009" (day of the rebroadcast hitting YouTube) and typical of Haruhi-related US-based websites it's riddled with comments hidden within its HTML coding.
Bandai has been playing source code games with us for a while. They aren't specific to Haruhi related things. They wrote an entire novel in source code too.
Old 2009-04-13, 15:44   Link #3264
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
People from the future are automatically time travelers though. And, in the end, it boils down to the same thing.

Besides, these days, you certainly can't refer to them all as "men", especially given that the characters in question are female...
People from the future, yes. People in the future, not necessarily. And "future men" would cover both.

And I don't buy that PC gender crap. "Man" means "human" as much as it means "adult human male". The stripping of the necessity of context from our language is just another way this society has been dumbed down. You don't see bulls raising a stink about the name of their species, do you?

(God, that so sounded like something Haruhi would say...)

Besides, "Fujiwara" isn't female. That would definitely make him a "future man". ^_^
Old 2009-04-13, 15:53   Link #3265
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
People from the future, yes. People in the future, not necessarily. And "future men" would cover both.
The group of individuals from the future that matter are the ones with the ability to travel through time.

Hence, time travelers.

Again, "future men" sound silly and crap in English. Nor is it the sort of thing anyone would think of off the bat.

If someone came up to you and told you they were from the future, what would you refer to them as? A "time traveler", of course.

Although, the argument could then be made that the espers should thus be referred to as "psychics", but then I'd pull out the argument that these are the names the western fandom has used forever and it's not like they're going to be able to change it now.

Quote:
And I don't buy that PC gender crap. "Man" means "human" as much as it means "adult human male". The stripping of the necessity of context from our language is just another way this society has been dumbed down. You don't see bulls raising a stink about the name of their species, do you?
Bulls aren't capable of the mental capacity to raise a stink about anything.

It's not just PC gender crap. Language is defined by the society that uses it.

Quote:
Besides, "Fujiwara" isn't female. That would definitely make him a "future man". ^_^
Was more referring to the aliens, all of whom so far are female.
Old 2009-04-13, 18:03   Link #3266
dnab
anime berkeley

Got a question. (really, no point here, a true question) What's the proper way to translate 異世界人(isekaijin)?

Some candidates (and by no means exhaustive) are -
1) Dimensional Traveler (per time traveler)
2) Slider (most common, but no cultural references earlier than 90's TV show)
3) Parallel World Man (personal fav, oh yeah)
4) (Play Haruhi and think outside the box for a moment here......)
Old 2009-04-13, 18:45   Link #3267
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is possible that the term "slider" in not copyrightable since it has many meaning other than the science fiction reference. The more prominate being a sports reference in baseball and cricket.
Old 2009-04-13, 18:48   Link #3268
dnab
anime berkeley

(Fact policing welcomed)

The much rumored and anticipated (not just here but on many boards in different languages) Week 8 of Haruhi “rerun” shall commence on Thursday, May 21, 1AM Japan Standard Time. Since JST is +16 hours from California’s (aka the Center of the Western Hemisphere), this places the real broadcasting time to be Wednesday, May 20, 9AM PDT. And given how quickly groups move these days, by 10AM we might see over 2000 seeders for the raw file, if it's worth transmitting that is. Gentlemen, Start your Torrents!

Last edited by dnab; 2009-04-13 at 19:54.
Old 2009-04-13, 20:47   Link #3269
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
Got a question. (really, no point here, a true question) What's the proper way to translate 異世界人(isekaijin)?

As of now, slider sounds best as it is short, simple and to the point, unless you count the possible baseball fans that could wonder what we're talking about... lol

But Dimensional Traveler definitely gets to the actual definition of a person that can move through dimensions.

As an aside, I plugged "異世界人" into Google Translator and got "People different world" Then Yahoo! Babel Fish translator: "Strange cosmopolitan"

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
Old 2009-04-13, 20:54   Link #3270
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes
As an aside, I plugged "異世界人" into Google Translator and got "People different world" Then Yahoo! Babel Fish translator: "Strange cosmopolitan"
Well, that's Babel Fish for you. I'm getting pretty much the same thing from Rikaichan, though. Rikaichan's not much better than BF. :/ The "異" is something like strange or different, and the "世界人" shows up as "cosmopolitan" or "world citizen." I guess "strange world citizen" could mean the same thing as "citizen of a strange world" here.

...This isn't exactly new information.
Old 2009-04-13, 21:32   Link #3271
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
As of now, slider sounds best as it is short, simple and to the point, unless you count the possible baseball fans that could wonder what we're talking about... lol

But Dimensional Traveler definitely gets to the actual definition of a person that can move through dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
Well, that's Babel Fish for you. I'm getting pretty much the same thing from Rikaichan, though. Rikaichan's not much better than BF. :/ The "異" is something like strange or different, and the "世界人" shows up as "cosmopolitan" or "world citizen." I guess "strange world citizen" could mean the same thing as "citizen of a strange world" here.

...This isn't exactly new information.
Excite Japan gives me "The Different World Person." Nothing new, I'm sure.

Plugging "The Different World Person" into Excite Japan to translate it back to Japanese results in 別世界の人 which translates back into "Person in Another World."
Old 2009-04-13, 21:33   Link #3272
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:

Is this still up for debate? All the fan material translated it as "Slider" (mostly due to a.f.k.'s subs), as did the official novel translation. The Bandai DVDs ignored it the one time it appeared in the anime translation, possibly due to legal reasons. "Dimensional Traveler" is just too cumbersome a word, while "Parallel World Man"... lol...

Were you fishing for a specific answer to 4)?
Old 2009-04-13, 21:38   Link #3273
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I like "Strange Cosmopolitan" myself. Very Engrish.
Old 2009-04-14, 00:25   Link #3274
dnab
anime berkeley

This thread can get pretty tense sometimes, was fishing for a Churuya moment with (4) so people can relax a bit.

And no it wasn't so much a debate but a rhetorical question following the logic of previous posts. I wasn't much a fan of the Sliders(R) show and am quite dumbfounded by the lack of word describing parallel world beings prior to that.

Last edited by dnab; 2009-04-14 at 01:14.
Old 2009-04-14, 00:32   Link #3275
Justin Kim
*Artist

Wait what? A second season already came out, a real SECOND SEASON?
Old 2009-04-14, 01:20   Link #3276
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
No. We're assuming that's the reason for the double length of the re-airing, however.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-04-14, 01:22   Link #3277
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
This thread can get pretty tense sometimes, was fishing for a Churuya moment with (4) so people can relax a bit.

And no it wasn't so much a debate but a rhetorical question following the logic of previous posts. I wasn't much a fan of the Sliders(R) show and am quite dumbfounded by the lack of word describing parallel world beings prior to that. So a competent translator who could have worked for the U.N. can still faux pas on this relatively recent cultural reference? (another rhetorical question)

p.s. I heard some of those UN guys and damn they're good.
Sorry, guess I came off a little short on that post. Some troll over in the FMA2 forum got me in a bad mood...

But about the search for a new term, unfortunately, I don't think we're going to find anything better than the baggage-laden "slider" or the clunky "dimensional traveler". "Time traveler" has been used for literally centuries, and "alien" evolved over the years from needing "space" in front of it to differentiate it from just meaning "not from here". The problem is, there's not nearly as much literature or media focusing on dimensional travel—nowhere near enough for a global term to be coined—and most of what has focused on it has made up whatever term is most appropriate for its own setting (planeswalker, slider, etc.). "Slider" is just the term with the most name recognition, and thanks to its age and the loving ministrations of Fox TV, the least baggage. Makes me wonder if Fox had allowed it to become as popular as it could have become, would we be having this argument? And if so, would we be remarking on its obviousness as a choice due to its household name status, or would we be discounting it due to the heavy references to the popular TV show? Probably both.

We could always make something up, but in this context, that wouldn't work either, because we're hypothetically translating what Haruhi says, which means she would use a term that makes sense to her, not something we just made up, or even a term she just made up.

The question then becomes, has Haruhi ever watched Sliders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Wait what? A second season already came out, a real SECOND SEASON?
Not already, but maybe soon. Your homework for tonight is to read the forum from about here. Feel free to ignore the George Lucas bashing.

Nice Lust..er..Belldandy pic you got there, btw...
Old 2009-04-14, 05:02   Link #3278
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Sorry, guess I came off a little short on that post. Some troll over in the FMA2 forum got me in a bad mood...

But about the search for a new term, unfortunately, I don't think we're going to find anything better than the baggage-laden "slider" or the clunky "dimensional traveler". "Time traveler" has been used for literally centuries, and "alien" evolved over the years from needing "space" in front of it to differentiate it from just meaning "not from here". The problem is, there's not nearly as much literature or media focusing on dimensional travel—nowhere near enough for a global term to be coined—and most of what has focused on it has made up whatever term is most appropriate for its own setting (planeswalker, slider, etc.). "Slider" is just the term with the most name recognition, and thanks to its age and the loving ministrations of Fox TV, the least baggage. Makes me wonder if Fox had allowed it to become as popular as it could have become, would we be having this argument? And if so, would we be remarking on its obviousness as a choice due to its household name status, or would we be discounting it due to the heavy references to the popular TV show? Probably both.

We could always make something up, but in this context, that wouldn't work either, because we're hypothetically translating what Haruhi says, which means she would use a term that makes sense to her, not something we just made up, or even a term she just made up.

The question then becomes, has Haruhi ever watched Sliders?

Not already, but maybe soon. Your homework for tonight is to read the forum from about here. Feel free to ignore the George Lucas bashing.

Nice Lust..er..Belldandy pic you got there, btw...
I don't know if that was sarcasm or not for the avatar...anyhow back on topic. I read all the other sides concerning this matter, the airing of these double length or supposively 20+ episodes doesn't have a set time. I remember viewing an article online regarding when the episodes were to air, I think it was after the confirmation of July something, can't remember. I really don't understand the concept of this, but i'll take your advice and go reference back to those forums.
Old 2009-04-14, 08:14   Link #3279
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
No. We're assuming that's the reason for the double length of the re-airing, however.
Honestly, I can SEE Kyoani/kadokawa re-airing Season 1 TWICE just to get our hopes up. They trolled us HARD in February if everyone can remember :P. My question, if it isn't a lie, Are they going to insert the new episodes in chronological order WITH new episodes inserted or do the first season followed by season 2...
Old 2009-04-14, 09:39   Link #3280
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice_slayer View Post
My question, if it isn't a lie, Are they going to insert the new episodes in chronological order WITH new episodes inserted or do the first season followed by season 2...
As it stands, most people suspect it to be old episodes in chronological order with new episodes inserted where applicable. I've also read that means week 8 is going to decide that.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen