AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-20, 05:15   Link #1
andvari

Suggestion - Just getting back into anime

I used to be pretty big on anime. I remember when Animesuki had fan subs back for the original series of Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic, Bleach, Naruto and all that fun stuff.

So anyways, I was just getting back into anime and need some suggestions as to series to watch that are either streaming off of sites like funimation.com, hulu, etc... or any fan subs I could download.

I have already watched FMA: Brotherhood in it's entirety. I generally like series that are funny, good mech / story, interesting or odd. Harems are OK, but not too super cutey, like for example good ol classic Love Hina.

For mech series they need to have a good character development, not be 100% mech only.... so like Full Metal Panic with the school / personal story lines etc.

And I like odd series that are confusing or just odd and twisted. Like Death Note, Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue.... things like that.... odd but interesting....

Big series I have liked: Full Metal Alchemist, Vandread, Saber Marionette J, Love Hina, His and Her Circumstances, Ah My Goddess.

I generally try to stay away from series that have 80+ episodes, cuz I like stories that actually end at some point hehe.... I gave up on Naruto around 82-83'ish and I lost interest in Bleach around episode 23'ish.

So any suggestions? Good comedies, Mech anime with good stories, interesting or odd series?
Old 2010-07-20, 07:25   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

You can watch the entire Baccano! season for free on Funimation.
Old 2010-07-20, 08:05   Link #3
signorRossi

For an 'odd' series you might try the stories about the 'medicine seller', wich are comprised of the last arc of 'Ayakashi - Classic Japanese Horror Stories' and the whole 'Mononoke' anime series. The first series I mentioned is licensed though...
Old 2010-07-20, 08:14   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Two other shows at Funimation that you might try are Oh! Edo Rocket, an "alternate-history" satire set in 1843-44 Edo, and House of Five Leaves, a dramatic series about kidnappers set in the same period.

Like Rossi's excellent recommendation of Mononoke, both of these fall into the "odd" category.

Funimation is now streaming a live-action show called Moyashimon about a college freshman who can see microbes. I'd suggest watching the anime version of it; it's both "odd" and "funny."

Of course, if you've somehow never watched School Rumble, you might check that out first.
Old 2010-07-20, 08:55   Link #5
andvari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
You can watch the entire Baccano! season for free on Funimation.

Ooo that one sounds pretty interesting. I've seen that one kicking around and seen that it was a fairly popular show but never really looked into it too much. Think I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by signorRossi View Post
For an 'odd' series you might try the stories about the 'medicine seller', wich are comprised of the last arc of 'Ayakashi - Classic Japanese Horror Stories' and the whole 'Mononoke' anime series. The first series I mentioned is licensed though...
I think I remember watching something like this where a traveling healer would cure people who were cursed by spirits. It was very episodic and every episode seemed to follow the same pattern just with different types of spirits. Probably not the same thing. Will have to take a further look into this one... thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by andvari; 2010-07-20 at 09:12.
Old 2010-07-20, 09:09   Link #6
andvari

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Two other shows at Funimation that you might try are Oh! Edo Rocket, an "alternate-history" satire set in 1843-44 Edo, and House of Five Leaves, a dramatic series about kidnappers set in the same period.

Like Rossi's excellent recommendation of Mononoke, both of these fall into the "odd" category.

Funimation is now streaming a live-action show called Moyashimon about a college freshman who can see microbes. I'd suggest watching the anime version of it; it's both "odd" and "funny."

Of course, if you've somehow never watched School Rumble, you might check that out first.
Hmmm on that Oh Edo one the main character kinda looks like Ketaro from Saber Marionette J.. I may have to watch that one just for that. I tried watching House of 5 leaves but couldn't get past the way the eyes were animated, just too weird.

When School Rumble was first being fan subbed I watched... I think... 12 or so episodes. Good stuff there and I think there was a problem with licensing and it dropped off for awhile. I tried figuring out where I left off and could never remember where I was. Not sure if I want to have to re-watch everything. I may give it another go though.
Old 2010-07-20, 12:04   Link #7
signorRossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andvari View Post
I think I remember watching something like this where a traveling healer would cure people who were cursed by spirits. It was very episodic and every episode seemed to follow the same pattern just with different types of spirits. Probably not the same thing. Will have to take a further look into this one... thanks for the suggestion!
Almost sounds like it, but I think you actually may recall 'Mushi-shi'.
But 'Mushi-shi' isn't bad either, I think I may rewatch it the next weeks...
Old 2010-07-20, 19:50   Link #8
kitten320

If compare to Death Note, the only thing that comes up to my mind is Ghost Hunt... it is basicly about paranomal effects and ghosts. There is a group of people the research and try to destroy those ghosts or let them rest.

In other words it is detective with ghost involvement.