AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-09, 16:26   Link #101
dash~

Roy's amazing. He's very intelligent but some times it looks like he is dumb, like when hawkeye leaved on "vacation" and he talked to her by the telephone, it's was cool and funny at the same time. About his alchemy, it's very powerfull regardless of it's weekness.
Old 2009-08-10, 12:01   Link #102
Kanish

I think we can all come to the conclusion that state alchemists are lazy bums who can't try to be more innovative once they've found a shtick for themselves. A good policy would be to stop naming them after what they specialize in. Makes them want to stick to it all the more.
Old 2009-08-10, 12:25   Link #103
Vicious108

Well sometimes it pays more to be really skilled in a specialized something than to be a jack of all trades who isn't a stand out in anything.
Old 2009-08-10, 14:02   Link #104
ChronoReverse

The fact that Mustang can create a simulacrum of a human body including detailed enough dental work that the doctor could pass it off as real (note that I do not same detailed enough to FOOL the said doctor) shows that his skill is quite good.

Also, he is a candidate for opening the gate. This alone is proof enough that he is greater than the average alchemist in more than just fire alchemy.

Besides, even if he had the key to let him read the flame alchemy left behind for him, he still needs to be better than average just to understand it.
Old 2009-08-10, 15:50   Link #105
Haladflire65
*Artist

I wonder if Roy would become Furher in the end of the manga. If he doesn't... Well, that just wouldn't do his character justice... He's surely powerful enough to become one? We'll have to see what become of Wrath, I guess?
Old 2009-08-10, 18:24   Link #106
Vicious108

I'm more interested in seeing what will happen regarding what Riza told Ed... that when a time of peace would come, those who fought in Ishval will be will be tried as mass murderers.

Which is of course tied to Ed and Roy's promise for 520 Cenz, in which Ed tries to force Mustang to live a long life.

It'll probably all come down to everyone accepting that Roy will have already done his fair share of atonement.
Old 2009-08-11, 08:45   Link #107
Kanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight
Well sometimes it pays more to be really skilled in a specialized something than to be a jack of all trades who isn't a stand out in anything.
But it also means Roy has a single point of failure which nearly cost him his life on two separate(thus far) occasions.
Old 2009-08-13, 08:38   Link #108
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Another strike against him is that he usually has to act alone, unless his helpers can handle themselves by not getting in his way when he attacks.
Old 2009-08-13, 08:57   Link #109
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanish View Post
I think we can all come to the conclusion that state alchemists are lazy bums who can't try to be more innovative once they've found a shtick for themselves. A good policy would be to stop naming them after what they specialize in. Makes them want to stick to it all the more.
Actually I think this is closer to a real military where people aren't experts in all fields. Truth be told, Mustang is essentially a one trick pony but the one trick he's mastered is amazingly good at killing people. I would state that all State Alchemists are atleast proficient as they have to take a written test which I'm sure was generic information. Also @yezhanquan due to the nature of his alchemy, he has to fight alone. Flames do spread and if an enemy rushed one of his helpers he would have to possibly burn both and so it's much easier for him to go solo.
Old 2009-08-14, 11:24   Link #110
Sannom

Quote:
A good policy would be to stop naming them after what they specialize in.
They're generally named after a physical trait or a character trait. Mustang and Tucker are exceptions, but except them, you have :

--- Alex Louis Armstrong, the Strong Arm Alchemist
--- Basque Gran, the Iron Blood Alchemist. I think that Basque Gran was a military man before being an alchemist, and his State Alchemist name must come from his reputation as a soldier and officer.
--- Joliot Comanche, the Silver Alchemist.
--- Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist.
Old 2009-08-14, 15:31   Link #111
Haladflire65
*Artist

Good point. I wouldn't know what else to name Roy; after all, the flames are such a big part of him. Roy seems to be most dependant on his specialty alchemy... We've never seen him use any other kind.
Old 2009-08-14, 20:09   Link #112
orangejuicetang

we've seen him transmute a somewhat passable human body out of a pig corpse, and hydrogen and oxygen gas out of water.

I just realized that his alchemy doesn't even technically set the thing on fire itself. What he does is just transmute a fuse from dust and adjust the air pressure. The sparks are responsible for the flames itself.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2009-08-15, 09:13   Link #113
Kanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight
And what you need is to watch episode 19 sometime soon.
Okay. Finally watched it and thought it was great. It's hilarious how every opponent he faces manages to counter his flames early on(You'd think he'd learn from this). His resourcefulness and some quick thinking made for a great comeback though. So, max kudos to him. Besides, who knew he had such a killer bod.
Old 2009-08-15, 10:49   Link #114
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanish View Post
It's hilarious how every opponent he faces manages to counter his flames early on(You'd think he'd learn from this).
I don't think his weakness is widely known though. Only people who are close to him or once fought by his side should know how his alchemy works and therefore its weakness (for example Isaac). Lust is an exception, she had observed him for a long time and knew him well.
Old 2009-08-16, 07:44   Link #115
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

The basics of starting a fire: spark, fuel, oxygen. What Lust did was to deny the "spark" part (created by his gloves, most of the time). Seriously, if Roy had been a smoker, even fewer people can stop him.
Old 2009-08-16, 14:18   Link #116
Haladflire65
*Artist

Which makes me wonder, why can't he just carry around a lighter or some matches, a least? It might as well save his life.
Old 2009-08-16, 21:03   Link #117
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Which makes me wonder, why can't he just carry around a lighter or some matches, a least? It might as well save his life.
Probably because it looks less cool creating a spark from the usual sources. Goes back to another of his trademarks: his fights are almost always classy-looking.
Old 2009-08-17, 15:41   Link #118
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Probably because it looks less cool creating a spark from the usual sources. Goes back to another of his trademarks: his fights are almost always classy-looking.
Ha, I can imagine he wants to look cool, as you say - he's that sort of guy, isn't he?

But carrying a lighter for emergencies can't hurt... Ah well.
Old 2009-08-17, 19:26   Link #119
cloudtm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
That can all change the day Roy gets to be CIC of the Gallian military.
Ah, a Valkryia Chronicles reference. Its such a great game that i had to create an account just to respond. Its that good of a game...
Old 2009-08-17, 19:52   Link #120
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

There is a whole sub-forum for that series here, you know...

Closed Thread