AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hidan no Aria

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-08, 10:42   Link #461
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
This =/= mecha.
Old 2011-06-08, 10:43   Link #462
Terminator98
Archangelic Demon Vampire
*Author

Quote:
There are ICBMs that transport human beings.
That's because the guy IS so awesome that he can do that.

But in truth... everyone turns out awesome in Ariaverse...
Old 2011-06-08, 10:44   Link #463
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator98 View Post
That's because the guy IS so awesome that he can do that.

But in truth... everyone turns out awesome in Ariaverse...
So is he a bad guy or good guy? We could start building the character from there.....

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-06-08, 12:18   Link #464
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Updated Revvy's Profile with her initial "Song Magic" list.

Also in the works is an artifact and the final Vanguard.
Old 2011-06-08, 12:20   Link #465
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint X View Post
Updated Revvy's Profile with her initial "Song Magic" list.

Also in the works is an artifact and the final Vanguard.
Duet! Do a duet with Reyva!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-06-08, 13:10   Link #466
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Duet! Do a duet with Reyva!
*stabs Saintess with the question back in page 19*
Old 2011-06-08, 13:31   Link #467
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
*stabs Saintess with the question back in page 19*
I missed that post. Sorry.

Reyva : Was naa paul yor.
Revvy : Eh?
Reyva : Na! Speak Japanese! I am horrible at that language!

Old 2011-06-08, 13:59   Link #468
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Ariaverse is already so detached from reality as it is, skinny little girls wielding pistols with perfect ease and without breaking their arms to the recoil, so what is with a dragon combat drone?
Not as detached as one might think. Unusual ability users aside, the world of Aria is very much like our world - and we don't have mecha.

Choutei were already pushing it - mecha would be a bit too much, IMO. Let's not forget that mecha aren't really that practical in the real world - even Patlabor and Gasaraki, arguably the most realistic mecha anime - showed that actual employment would be a freaking pain in the ass, which is why we don't have mecha in real life. While a bipedal war machine looks cool and is cool, in the end it's not practical or useful.

Also, regards wielding guns and breaking their hands, I refer back to Magpul Dynamics Art of the Dynamic Handgun; one of the things taught in that course is that the way you hold your weapon, your grip and how you position your arms, can be used to mitigate the effects of recoil. It's also not inconceivable that Aria's weapons would have been modified to reduce recoil, albeit this is my speculation.

Returning to the subject of mecha: suitability. Just as one should not use RPGs or antitank weapons when room clearing, nor should one attempt to convert every single shotgun in sight to lever action when there are damn good reasons pump action is dominant, nor should one fix bayonets when attempting to apprehend a suspect alive, nor should someone on a scope be all moe and lose track of the job at hand...

Now, if we consider mecha on the scale of Ghost in the Shell - the autonomous thinktanks, the Tachikoma, the next-gen military prototype from episode 2 of 1st Gig (which became the new service tank by 2nd Gig, BTW) - and then scale down from there, drastically. Note that even with all the cool toys GITS is set 20+ years after Aria - so at most we should have the prototype exoskeletons DARPA has in R&D, and perhaps a modification of whatever Riko used to control the Segway for semi-autonomous land vehicles, including and up to tanks.

Because if one wants to get serious, there's nothing a Butei student has that can take on an MBT - until Coach and D-Boy break out their gear...

tl:dr - you don't need mecha, current military hardware is awesome enough in the right hands and easier to get since there's a fuckton of ex-Soviet gear which can be acquired from various sources. Hell, a guy was able to build a functioning AH-1 Cobra (sans gun) from spares acquired legally from US Army surplus sales, so it shouldn't be too hard to get a fully functional vehicle from Russian or other client state/third world nation, particularly if enough palms are greased. Hell, given that EU apparently has a powerful piece of military hardware itself, one could make an argument for them being able to acquire such things without much difficulty - particularly if the right palms are greased.

Bah, what's the use. Whatever I say will be ignored, as usual.

Quote:
There are ICBMs that transport human beings.
*raised eyebrow* I'd have to see that in the context of the show itself and what they use, but frankly it's not inconceivable. In fact, the concept itself dates to Gagarin. All you need is to replace the MIRV with a reentry capsule and ensure that it's large enough to hold your person. And voila, you've turned your ICBM from a weapon of war into a space transport. Note that ICBM research benefited greatly from the Space Race between the US and the USSR - at the end of the day, everything is militarily significant and has military applications, even can openers.*

[size="1]With apologies to Colonel (Ret.) Tom Kratman, from whom I stole and paraphrased this line, from his book The Lotus Eaters.[/size]

I believe in miracles.

Old 2011-06-08, 14:10   Link #469
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Quote:
I missed that post. Sorry.

Reyva : Was naa paul yor.
Revvy : Eh?
Reyva : Na! Speak Japanese! I am horrible at that language!
- apparently you seem to have forgotten the second line of EXEC_SPHILIA

*utter silence as the questioning is stopped*

Amy: greaaaaaaaaat... another one. We're taking you as well...

*cue in "you're gonna get taken home" music*
Old 2011-06-08, 15:31   Link #470
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
- apparently you seem to have forgotten the second line of EXEC_SPHILIA

*utter silence as the questioning is stopped*

Amy: greaaaaaaaaat... another one. We're taking you as well...

*cue in "you're gonna get taken home" music*
- I can't remember every single hymn right? Is it this one?

Maybe I should compose a song for the two characters.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-06-08 at 15:42.
Old 2011-06-08, 16:02   Link #471
Terminator98
Archangelic Demon Vampire
*Author

Quote:
So is he a bad guy or good guy? We could start building the character from there.....
We all know who is the guy that transcends time and flies around on ICBMs...

The Mecha Dragon will be perhaps an antagonist or a side story to show off Lucy's utter pwnage powers...

Also... I'm still lost concerning Revyy...

So now, two OCs posted so far...

Yamato Kyousuke
Hisako "Lucy" Amaterasu

Upcomming next:

Yamato V.H. Alexandra (Overhaul + New Smexy OC pic... )

P.S: Goose... stop thinking that we ignore you... I like reading your down to earth stuff... stops me from getting over manly by listening to the MANLINESS that is Endoh.
Old 2011-06-08, 18:31   Link #472
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Ahh, I see where you're going with this; both Saito and Minato did not crossdress, in fact they wanted to stand out in an All-Girls school; there are two types of security- the ones you see, and the ones that hides in the crowds. By making themselves obvious targets, the kidnappers would not notice Ada and Raimei closing in on them.
Chaos... Mind-sync much? Because right from the start, I was thinking of traps, except I was recalling the (obligatory) crack story (and semi-botched mission) where Jim was transformed into Jane Bean to infiltrate an all-girls school (because I will do that for every male protagonist I make)...

Now what was so mentally scarring? Perhaps back then, James was mistaken for the kidnapper.

Quote:
See? Nobody cares about Otoboku anymore!
Yes, me and Lowe are the 2-in-1 Nobody.
Old 2011-06-08, 18:32   Link #473
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
That thing is ancient. As ancient as Clannad.

Old 2011-06-08, 18:34   Link #474
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Truth be told, I got in on Otoboku later than everyone, but last year a trap named Nyan bugged me about it so I watched it... Yeah traps get me going, both IRL and in anime.
Old 2011-06-08, 20:07   Link #475
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Chaos... Mind-sync much? Because right from the start, I was thinking of traps, except I was recalling the (obligatory) crack story (and semi-botched mission) where Jim was transformed into Jane Bean to infiltrate an all-girls school (because I will do that for every male protagonist I make)...

Now what was so mentally scarring? Perhaps back then, James was mistaken for the kidnapper.
Yes well, considering that everybody's crossdressing these days, I think it's fair to say that it's more unique to want to stand out in an All-Girls school. WHich is pure torture if you think about it- The worst form of psychological torture for a teenage guy is to be surrounded by packs of girls giggling and whispering and pointing behind your back, and you have absolutely no idea what they're talking about...

...Yeah, pure hell...

(For all intend and purposes, Ichika tried to 'fit in')

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Well, I do, and hence the statement "nobody" has been nullified

Unless you're suggesting I'm a divine, aethereal non-corporeal entity, in which case "nobody" would apply to me

Bah! If I never brought it up you two would never ever hear about otoboku forever again

Quote:
That thing is ancient. As ancient as Clannad.
Nay, people still talk about Clannad

Quote:
Truth be told, I got in on Otoboku later than everyone, but last year a trap named Nyan bugged me about it so I watched it... Yeah traps get me going, both IRL and in anime.
...What the Fractale? Nyan was a trap? How did you mistaken Nyan for a girl ? I mean if it's Keroko I would understand but Nyan ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
But the tech level of Aria is nowhere like Index's; no power armors and the likes. There may be that rare metal but it is something like fuckking rare.
Well, not yet anyway. But even then I suppose they're not going to be that powerful...
Old 2011-06-08, 21:44   Link #476
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator98 View Post
P.S: Goose... stop thinking that we ignore you... I like reading your down to earth stuff... stops me from getting over manly by listening to the MANLINESS that is Endoh.
I was actually referring to SaintessHeart and Kha. Though after 4 years, the times when Kha actually listens to me do exist, albeit rarely happening.

@C2F: The difference between Funyan and keroko is that Funyan's been completely obvious about the trapness, while keroko kinda sorta became the mask and likes the subtle trolling. (Or somethng. I can't find the right word.)

Also, in regards Dragons, there is one actual dragon existing now which WOULD be a pain in the ass for the butei to deal with:

Puff the Magic Dragon.

In fact, given the fact that there are still civillian versions of this particular airframe it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility for EU to again get a C-47 and outfit it to AC-47 standards. Alternatively, they could just spring for the the AC-130 model; there was one unit reported lost in the Gulf War, but what if it wasn't actually lost but was acquired by EU...

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2011-06-08 at 22:26.
Old 2011-06-08, 23:17   Link #477
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Come on Goose, you know I do listen, just whether I reply, or act on it, is something else.

I suppose a F117 modified to be a boarding craft (I saw it in a movie starring Steven Seagal) could be useful in taking it down, but isn't this sort of job you know for the military? A Spooky in the air will no doubt make the host nation scramble fighters in response.

Unless its true that the EU is in control of whole nations, since I've always felt that it was the JSDF fighters that fired upon Aria's jetliner.
Old 2011-06-08, 23:39   Link #478
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Firstly, an F-117 modified to be a boarding craft is ludicrous.

Secondly, given what we've seen, if a Spooky flew into a private airfield and had all the documents stating that it was a basic vanilla C-47, there's no way on radar to tell the difference between it and a C-47, except by visual inspection.

There will still be a delay between when it starts firing and when the JASDF can scramble to intercept, and that delay can be extended with proper greasing of palms and coercion.

That said, a helicopter gunship is still much easier to pull off compared to a Spooky or a Spectre, since there are a fair number of helicopters with dual civillian/military use - twin Huey, Dolphin, etc - that you could fly in a military bird made up to look like a normal civvie charter, and then quickly outfit with the required weapons.

Edit: Now, regards insertion craft, it was theorized by John Ringo that one could load Navy SEALs into a B-2's bomb rack and have it spit them out as a stealthy insertion platform. He also admitted that he was told this would not really work in real life.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2011-06-08 at 23:55.
Old 2011-06-08, 23:56   Link #479
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
@C2F: The difference between Funyan and keroko is that Funyan's been completely obvious about the trapness, while keroko kinda sorta became the mask and likes the subtle trolling. (Or somethng. I can't find the right word.)
I remember the day I told Keroko that I tend to forget that he's not a girl; I've never seen him so happy before...

Oh wait, so it's Funyan and not Nya~n ?!

What is this off topic confusion like the old days !?!

Quote:
Unless its true that the EU is in control of whole nations, since I've always felt that it was the JSDF fighters that fired upon Aria's jetliner.
Nay, it was mentioned that they were hit by a Surface-to-Air missile from sea... Which would technically make it a Ship-to-Air missile I think.
Old 2011-06-09, 00:20   Link #480
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
I remember the day I told Keroko that I tend to forget that he's not a girl; I've never seen him so happy before...

Oh wait, so it's Funyan and not Nya~n ?!

What is this off topic confusion like the old days !?!
Sorry, I was thinking of his OCT handle Same person.

Quote:
Nay, it was mentioned that they were hit by a Surface-to-Air missile from sea... Which would technically make it a Ship-to-Air missile I think.
Any missile fired from either ground or sea towards an air target is a Surface to Air Missile, aka SAM, regardless of launch platform. The surface can either be solid ground, or the liquid sea.

Can you elaborate further as to the information? Was it from a military vessel? Was it from a boat with a couple of guys packing Stingers or other IR guided man-portable SAMs?

I believe in miracles.

Closed Thread