Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-06-29, 18:49   Link #1
Budweineken
Crap

Post Count

Hi...

For some reason I can't view the posts count of anybody in this site... not even mine... So I was just wondering if this is a setting that everyone has disabled or did I disabled some sort of setting... if so can someone let me know what I did because I can't find anything related...

Thanks
Budweineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 18:55   Link #2
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Actually, not too long ago the forum members asked to have the post count display removed. ^^; It was/is belived that it created a certain degree of superiority for older members and a lack of respect towards people new to the forum. So they were removed...

If you wish to see a person's post count, click on their name and select "View user profile." Post counts are still displayed there.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 19:13   Link #3
Ending

Quote:
Spammer.

Anyway, it's pretty stupid to judge a person by his *post count.* On the other hand, having it visible in a certain way binds to the forum...

Last edited by Ending; 2004-06-29 at 19:35.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 21:05   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

That's my post count? o.O;

It's higher than I thought...
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 21:48   Link #5
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
That's my post count? o.O;

It's higher than I thought...

High post count doesn't always mean "Spammer". Just like negative rep doesn't mean "Asshole"(sometimes ). I don't think I've seen one pointless post by Mr.Paper.

I don't find post counts very useful since I've seen how it could encourage post whoring and other negative behaviors in general. We're better off now that it's in member profile .
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 21:51   Link #6
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

The biggest reason why it was taken out is because some of the newer members felt they needed to quickly spam it up to gain some status on the forums I guess?

But yeh ... how about Mr. Paper is NOT a spammer.

Interesting thing about last time ... there was some percentage of people with lower postcounts who said some of the older members with higher post counts spam when in reallity they are simply more active ...

Insecure?
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-29, 22:49   Link #7
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper

Actually, not too long ago the forum members asked to have the post count display removed. ^^; It was/is belived that it created a certain degree of superiority for older members and a lack of respect towards people new to the forum. So they were removed...

If you wish to see a person's post count, click on their name and select "View user profile." Post counts are still displayed there.
Not to mention that some ppl would spam the forums to GET a high count
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 01:05   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I'd take NinjaServ's word on that. He really knows what he's talking about.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 12:51   Link #9
monir
cho~ kakkoii

We can always "judge people" by making a note of their join date. But we all know anyone who has joined before May 2003 is literally old and in some cases grumpy. Only honorable exception is NoSanninWa-san because he is an epicurian and because I don't want to be banned. I mean she, I mean... gah.. Point is age only applies to those who can/do discern their sex.
Quote:
Just like negative rep doesn't mean "Asshole"(sometimes ).
Yes, I can account for that. Slade is not an "asshole". His reputation indicator may have turned it self off due to excessive neg reps, but he is anything but an "a... . Slade-san, stop terrorizing other threads and show some more love to WANCWNS. All the good threads such as "Kabuto is Itachi in disguise" has fallen from the grace of being in the first page. As a result there is a mild drought in amusement in the Naruto section. Few exclusive posts now and then (twice a day is a good number ) for our beloved WANCWNS thread is not too much to ask, is it? In return I and other faithfuls shall grace and honor you with plenty of neg reps if you ever get around to fix that reputation indicator.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 12:58   Link #10
7thMethuselah

after spending almost a year in these forums I know which members are worthy posters and which aren't, no need for a post count for that. Anyway i fail to see the problem. If you really wanna know how often someone posted you can just click on their avatar and check their profile, the amount of posts is mentioned there.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 22:04   Link #11
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir

We can always "judge people" by making a note of their join date. But we all know anyone who has joined before May 2003 is literally old and in some cases grumpy. Only honorable exception is NoSanninWa-san because he is an epicurian and because I don't want to be banned. I mean she, I mean... gah.. Point is age only applies to those who can/do discern their sex.
Yes, I can account for that. Slade is not an "asshole". His reputation indicator may have turned it self off due to excessive neg reps, but he is anything but an "a... . Slade-san, stop terrorizing other threads and show some more love to WANCWNS. All the good threads such as "Kabuto is Itachi in disguise" has fallen from the grace of being in the first page. As a result there is a mild drought in amusement in the Naruto section. Few exclusive posts now and then (twice a day is a good number ) for our beloved WANCWNS thread is not too much to ask, is it? In return I and other faithfuls shall grace and honor you with plenty of neg reps if you ever get around to fix that reputation indicator.
What?! How dare you deny my ass-hole-ness!!? BLASPHEMY!!

The only reason I disabled reputation is because after getting down to the -15s or so, people kept giving me positive ones. Most of them didn't even know I was going for negative rep and were just being nice. Currently my rep is positive 1 -__-...

Black is better than green color-wise anyway .

back on topic-

Post counts are displayed in a way that pretty much satisfies almost everyone now although I would like to have to disappear completely .
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-01, 04:11   Link #12
wao
OK.

Post count can still be useful in seeing how active a person is, and other things such as seeing whether accounts were just created for one thing and that one thing only (you know, like people creating accounts to vote in polls)
Old 2004-07-01, 04:39   Link #13
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Post count can still be useful in seeing how active a person is, and other things such as seeing whether accounts were just created for one thing and that one thing only (you know, like people creating accounts to vote in polls)
This can also help to see if a person who made a spam message has registered only for this purpose.
It's easy to see if the person has a post count of "1" and her/his first post is a spam, that that person has only registered to spam for this site
Old 2004-07-01, 07:55   Link #14
ÜberJumper
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to ÜberJumper Send a message via AIM to ÜberJumper Send a message via Yahoo to ÜberJumper
Hmm... postcounts helped me to post more and ofcourse to spam, but I cant believe for the first time i've seen a forum that does'nt need a postcount.

anyway, slade, if you need to lower your rep. just give me a positive one and i'll give ya a negative one... deal?

Am I considered a spammer?
Spoiler:

uber
ÜberJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-01, 11:53   Link #15
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberJumper
Hmm... postcounts helped me to post more and ofcourse to spam, but I cant believe for the first time i've seen a forum that does'nt need a postcount.

anyway, slade, if you need to lower your rep. just give me a positive one and i'll give ya a negative one... deal?

Am I considered a spammer?
Spoiler:

uber
wow over 12 thousand posts! I don't think i would ever be willing to invest this much time in a forum. but you joined 5 years ago, so that is a long time, and 7 posts a day isn't that bad, my max was 11 posts a day (when i first joined I fell victim to the newbie fever)
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-01, 16:13   Link #16
Ending

Spammer = A person who makes posts like:

"Naa..."
"I don't think so."
"Huh?"
"I like of it too."
"SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM -I'm bored."
"SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM -I'm still bored."
"Thx."

Plus a 0,04th of a post. Incidentally, if you have made 7,04 posts today and they look like this, then yes; you are a nasty, nasty spammer.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 13:15   Link #17
mayukhers112
Mahou Shonen

People like Babbito2k and Mr_Paper are definetely not spammers. I agree with Slade, I haven't really seen any pointless post from Mr_Paper (then again, I haven't been at these forums long enough to see all of his posts)...
mayukhers112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 13:34   Link #18
HoboGod
Necromancer

maybe something like average words per post should be put in user profile. that would be a very good way to judge if someone is a spammer or if somebody actually contributes to descusions. ^_^
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 14:28   Link #19
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
maybe something like average words per post should be put in user profile. that would be a very good way to judge if someone is a spammer or if somebody actually contributes to descusions. ^_^
I kind of like this idea, but would ppl just go asldfjlksfjlksafjl;kjboasg and copy and paste for like a minute to raise their average words ten fold?

Don't worry slade, I'm so much of an asshole that I have a positive rep instead of a negitive one for some reason.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 14:51   Link #20
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
I kind of like this idea, but would ppl just go asldfjlksfjlksafjl;kjboasg and copy and paste for like a minute to raise their average words ten fold?
Take it like you want; there will always be people who want to abuse features be it Post count or average words per post. Nothing you can do about I guess.

BTW:I dislike that idea because not everyone needs to write 400+ words to present his arguments. Some people can do that with 150+ words which would make the latter user appear as more of a spammer than the first. We could always use the Reputation to "judge people" if people would be more responsible and mature with giving positive and negative reputation. Unfortunately this feature shares the fate of all other future features: abusability.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote