AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-07, 15:40   Link #281
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
If people fell into predictable behavioural patterns, then we could predict their actions well into the future. At that point, everything degenerates into pure stimulus-response. This is the reason why cookie cutter characters are so unfulfilling. Provoke a tsundere, for example, and she's 'tsun', give her affection and she's 'dere'. Such characters may be fun in the short term because of the sense of control that they afford the viewer, but it gets boring fast.

Sheryl doesn't fall into any of your expected behavioral patterns? Good. Now's your chance to sit back and watch her story unfold, rather than trying to guess at which cliche you'll be served next.

(Either that, or go with Tak's 'kick reason to the curb' approach. Well said, by the way, Tak. )
Uhhh...you see, I don't mean it like that though as in static predictable character, I mean that I would expect that she has character traits that cause her interactions and reactions to certain events to follow a consistent pattern in keeping with how she has been established through earlier character development. In other words her established character should be influencing her reaction to events more, but I feel that she is being forced into specifically tailored and almost manufactured reactions to events that are not in keeping with her established character.

In this sense I would argue that she is responding in a more cliched manner then what I feel she should be as if her character potential is not being realized. When the plot calls up a cliche, rather then respond as Sheryl, at times she has responded as the cliche would expect her to for the sake of a gag or furthering of a plot line they want to force along. In these cases she just reacts and interacts however the writers want to at any given time, wheras as recently as episode 07 she was behaving more in lines with her established character and showing some complexity. Her characterization just seems inconsistant and too flexible from time to time. Both rigidity in behaviour and over flexibility can lead to weaker characterization just the same.

To me episode 03, 06, 08 have been low points for her characterization where she has been all over the place (and I don't just mean the whole on-stage versus off-stage thing that I think has been handled well enough and provided an interesting dynamic, but I mean just in general within said personas) and acting less like a unique character and more like a tool of the plot as Wesley84 has suggested. And still believe, me, I gain no pleasure in agreeing with Wesley84 on this matter, but I've been finding this to be the case for a while longer now then I think he even has.

And don't go thinking it's a case of me being some sort of Sheryl hater or something silly like that. I don't really think that way. Really I just find some aspects of her characterization to be loose, undefined and weak and hope things sort themselves out in this regard eventually.
Old 2008-06-07, 15:58   Link #282
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

You're being a bit too vague for me. For starters, what would you say is her "established character"? Also, what would you consider to be a "consistant" action for Sheryl to have taken, in place of what she actually did? Can you point to some specific examples of contradictions in her character? If you can flesh out your ideas somewhat, then perhaps we can discuss this more effectively. I see your opinion, but not the why, yet.

Just for clarification, your stance towards the cast, whatever it may be, doesn't matter to me in the slightest. I'm mainly interested in seeing how you think.
Old 2008-06-07, 18:38   Link #283
Westlo
Lets be reality

It would be a nice touch if Sheryl's blog entry for the 12th would say something like her fav tv show is not being shown because of some sport being shown instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
I don't think that she took Ranka under her wing on a whim. She heard Ranka sing before revealing her identity or doing anything to encourage her. Furthermore, she's been consistant in her assistance right through to the present. I don't think that Sheryl would have done it if she didn't genuinely believe that Ranka had the ability to make it big.
To paraphrase someone who posted here (my net is slow atm take too long to find the post) her blog mentions that she has no interest in other entertainers except for one she watched 3 years ago. She saw a singer who blew her away and that Ranka gave her the same feeling when she heard her sing.
Old 2008-06-07, 18:52   Link #284
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
It would be a nice touch if Sheryl's blog entry for the 12th would say something like her fav tv show is not being shown because of some sport being shown instead.
Hey now, I care for Eurocup, too!

Besides, this Sunday, its the Fatherland vs. Potatoes! I can't wait, its gonna be a riot.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-07, 23:11   Link #285
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
You're being a bit too vague for me. For starters, what would you say is her "established character"? Also, what would you consider to be a "consistant" action for Sheryl to have taken, in place of what she actually did? Can you point to some specific examples of contradictions in her character? If you can flesh out your ideas somewhat, then perhaps we can discuss this more effectively. I see your opinion, but not the why, yet.

Just for clarification, your stance towards the cast, whatever it may be, doesn't matter to me in the slightest. I'm mainly interested in seeing how you think.
Alright, despite your somewhat arrogant tone I will give you the low down:

From the first few episodes I get that she is essentially a character that likes to portray a glamorous and confident persona on stage (though occasionally events have overwhelmed her like in episode 07 where the mask fell briefly), while having a playful and more straight up persona off stage while secretely holding feelings of loneliness and an empty void in her lifestyle, which the earring was supposed to symbolize. I gathered that all by the time we had the episode where she talked about Macross Galaxy.

Now from time to time she has had almost polar opposite and different personalities or reactions to events while off stage that seem to go more with the themes of the episode rather then the normal straight up, somewhat witty and flirtatious personality she normally shows (end of episode 4, during the date in episode 05 etc). In episode 03 however she was portrayed as some sort of ultra wise and learned type when she was locked in the hatch with Ranka and Alto and during the scene where she talked with Ranka after getting in her car about pursuing her talent (though she didn't seem to hold herself to the same standards as the advice she dispensed), and in episode 08 it's the exact opposite, she is instead portrayed in her offstage persona as somewhat of an arrogant bimbo who doesn't know her up from her down when trying to catch the panty thieving Carbuncle thing and is so brash as to run off the top of a building before realizing what she's done.

I guess I should say my problem with some parts of her characterization don't have to do with lack of defination so much as her character occasionally being one of unwitting hypocrisy in that at times she's at times portrayed as the pinnacle of wisdom in the life advice that she dispenses to Alto and Sheryl with impunity (Episode 5 during the writing of the lyrics, parts of episode 03 while in the hatch), but then turns around and doesn't seem to follow her it herself, getting into fits of brash arrogance and lack of focus on what is important. This only comes across though when the episode sees fit to portray her in that light (episode 08, parts of episode 3 again [this episode has her more all over the place then any other episode in the series] while in the hatch and fretting about the situation and just having to get out of there despite it being unsafe [but holy smokes, don't you go getting upset because you're afraid Ranka] and 4, while talking with Alto after tripping him). Essentially what I think is going on is they are trying to make Sheryl look as cool as they possibly can within whatever context they are dealing with, but don't realize that it mucks up her character.

To summarize, why does she come across in her offstage persona as world-wise and "A woman who knows what she wants and needs" as she often tries to tell people how to think about things, but quite often (but not always, which makes it even more awkward) fails to show this stance in a lot of her actions and reactions? That question I need answered before I can feel her as more strongly defined and her potential as a character realized. Really I think they should have just picked one or the other. Either gone with the cool and smooth flirtatious "knows what she wants type", the life experienced type who can show Ranka and Alto the way, or the brash, arrogant and impulsive type as these traits all at the same time (but not really since only one set comes up when required) just seem poorly meshed from time to time when I stop to think about it.
Old 2008-06-08, 05:13   Link #286
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't see any incompatibility. She's rash and impulsive, but she does follow her own advice: "You want it? Go get it." In fact, the problem is that she takes it too far, but I don't remember her ever advising moderation.

Sure, she's not out of control all the time, but who would be? If she doesn't have anything to be excited about (like a panty thief, or being stuck in a shelter with failing life support), then she's calm. What's weird about it?
Old 2008-06-08, 05:25   Link #287
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Hey now, I care for Eurocup, too!
I'll be watching the Eurocup as well, I just thought it would be a nice touch if her blog included something like that lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
In episode 03 however she was portrayed as some sort of ultra wise and learned type when she was locked in the hatch with Ranka and Alto and during the scene where she talked with Ranka after getting in her car about pursuing her talent (though she didn't seem to hold herself to the same standards as the advice she dispensed),
You lost me here... how hasn't she already followed her advice she gave to Ranka?

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-06-08 at 07:29.
Old 2008-06-08, 07:42   Link #288
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Alright, despite your somewhat arrogant tone I will give you the low down:
I'm honored.

Quote:
From the first few episodes I get that she is essentially a character that likes to portray a glamorous and confident persona on stage (though occasionally events have overwhelmed her like in episode 07 where the mask fell briefly), while having a playful and more straight up persona off stage while secretely holding feelings of loneliness and an empty void in her lifestyle, which the earring was supposed to symbolize. I gathered that all by the time we had the episode where she talked about Macross Galaxy.

Now from time to time she has had almost polar opposite and different personalities or reactions to events while off stage that seem to go more with the themes of the episode rather then the normal straight up, somewhat witty and flirtatious personality she normally shows (end of episode 4, during the date in episode 05 etc). In episode 03 however she was portrayed as some sort of ultra wise and learned type when she was locked in the hatch with Ranka and Alto and during the scene where she talked with Ranka after getting in her car about pursuing her talent (though she didn't seem to hold herself to the same standards as the advice she dispensed), and in episode 08 it's the exact opposite, she is instead portrayed in her offstage persona as somewhat of an arrogant bimbo who doesn't know her up from her down when trying to catch the panty thieving Carbuncle thing and is so brash as to run off the top of a building before realizing what she's done.
I'll highlight the word "portrayed", because it implies a certain level of knowledge about the writers' intent. We can "percieve" a character to have certain qualities, but we can never really separate our own response to a story from what may or may not have been placed there by the writer(s) to begin with (that's not to say that our perceptions are any less important, of course).

In the viewpoint that you've presented, there are three crystalline modes of behavior that Sheryl has demonstrated, each representing your overall impressions of her at given points in time. So any contradiction in your overall impressions of her character will necessarily appear as contradictions in her character.

In episode three, you percieved Sheryl to be wise. In order to reach that conclusion, you might have noted something like the relative calm with which she approached the situation, and the suggestions that she handed out to the other two characters. This is just an initial guess, of course, but if you'd based your conclusions on different observations then you'll no doubt tell me.

But there are other elements to that scene as well, too. You could have determined that the way in which she decided to force her way out of the hatch without knowing the situation outside was impulsive, or that the manner in which she teased Alto after getting into her car was playful and flirtatious. Had you decided to lend more weight to these points, you may have reached a different overall conclusion about her character.

While Sheryl behaves rashly while chasing after her panties in episode eight, that is not the only side of her that we see. She still takes the time to advise Ranka on her career while in the showers, and she makes some rather insightful assessments of both Nanase and Michael. In addition, when Sheryl is with Alto, we see more playful teasing. So here too, your impressions will vary based on what you chose to extract from these scenes.

Let's see if there's a way of intergrating all these different facets of Sheryl's character. We know that Sheryl grew up without a family and rose to stardom relatively early on. It makes sense, then, that she comes across as having grown up rather quickly.

She's often quite observant, which is what often allows her to see to the heart of a problem and give the appropriate advice. Giving that her career is built off of reading the feelings of the crowd and inspiring them, this shouldn't come as a surprise. Likewise, in order to reach the level of success that she enjoys, it's understandable that she'd be dead serious as far as her work is concerned.

With Alto, she has a means of really enjoying herself for the very first time. Having missed out on many things in her childhood such as a normal school life and the sights and sounds of Frontier, it's understandable that she discovers these new things with a childlike wonder and playfulness.

At least part of her success as a singer comes from the fact that she puts her heart into it (which, as Ranka points out in episode two, is part of what charmed her - even when Sheryl goes overboard during an interview). While Sheryl's career has trained her to try to exercise restraint, her emotions frequently bubble to the surface. When she gets too caught up in something, her sheer enthusiasm tends to make her kick reason to the curb, as it were. The confidence that she exudes is also a means for Sheryl to cope with difficult circumstances; while she might not always feel strong inside, she always tries her hardest, for the sake of both herself and others.

The reason that we have consistancy here is because we have different responses for different circumstances, not different responses to the same circumstance.

While this may not be the only approach to understanding Sheryl's character, it does show that there exists at least one interpretation of her behavior that integrates all of her qualities in a consistant fashion. While the viewer is free to construct an interpretation of Sheryl in which she behaves inconsistantly, that's an issue for the viewer to resolve, not the writer.

Quote:
I guess I should say my problem with some parts of her characterization don't have to do with lack of defination so much as her character occasionally being one of unwitting hypocrisy in that at times she's at times portrayed as the pinnacle of wisdom in the life advice that she dispenses to Alto and Sheryl with impunity (Episode 5 during the writing of the lyrics, parts of episode 03 while in the hatch), but then turns around and doesn't seem to follow her it herself, getting into fits of brash arrogance and lack of focus on what is important. This only comes across though when the episode sees fit to portray her in that light (episode 08, parts of episode 3 again [this episode has her more all over the place then any other episode in the series] while in the hatch and fretting about the situation and just having to get out of there despite it being unsafe [but holy smokes, don't you go getting upset because you're afraid Ranka] and 4, while talking with Alto after tripping him). Essentially what I think is going on is they are trying to make Sheryl look as cool as they possibly can within whatever context they are dealing with, but don't realize that it mucks up her character.
Can hypocrisy not be a form of characterization in itself?

As an aside, though, Alto was the one who was irritated by Ranka getting upset in episode three. Sheryl's response was "You could at least say 'I can protect a scared girl or two!'" which implies not only that it's understandable for Ranka to be afraid, but that Sheryl herself is afraid. But there's nothing bizarre about trying to make the best out of a bad situation, even in the face of fear.

Quote:
To summarize, why does she come across in her offstage persona as world-wise and "A woman who knows what she wants and needs" as she often tries to tell people how to think about things, but quite often (but not always, which makes it even more awkward) fails to show this stance in a lot of her actions and reactions? That question I need answered before I can feel her as more strongly defined and her potential as a character realized. Really I think they should have just picked one or the other. Either gone with the cool and smooth flirtatious "knows what she wants type", the life experienced type who can show Ranka and Alto the way, or the brash, arrogant and impulsive type as these traits all at the same time (but not really since only one set comes up when required) just seem poorly meshed from time to time when I stop to think about it.
This is where my point about static characters comes in. You're talking in terms of archetypes, rather than in terms of the character herself. You're right that she doesn't conform to either classification. Nor does she have to.

Can you think of an instance when you've said something wise? Can you think of an instance when you've done something impulsively? Even if you answer yes to both, you're not inconsistant. Different circumstances necessitate different responses.

As an aside: do you find any of the other characters inconsistant? Alto, for example, seems to be really good at handing out wise words to Ranka with regards to her career, but has shown himself to be quite reckless on many other occasions. He can be withdrawn and tries to avoid the limelight at times, but yet doesn't mind trying to pull off a flashy corkscrew in episode one.

(Again, this is an issue of 'different circumstances necessitating different responses', but in many ways this seems similar to the issues that you raised with Sheryl.)
Old 2008-06-08, 08:20   Link #289
SymphonicRain

I had been wondering if Swampstorm is Kawamori in disguise.

For him to dissect Sheryl right down to her bones for analysis . . . is overwhelming.
Old 2008-06-08, 14:13   Link #290
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:

I'll highlight the word "portrayed", because it implies a certain level of knowledge about the writers' intent. We can "percieve" a character to have certain qualities, but we can never really separate our own response to a story from what may or may not have been placed there by the writer(s) to begin with (that's not to say that our perceptions are any less important, of course).

In the viewpoint that you've presented, there are three crystalline modes of behavior that Sheryl has demonstrated, each representing your overall impressions of her at given points in time. So any contradiction in your overall impressions of her character will necessarily appear as contradictions in her character.

In episode three, you percieved Sheryl to be wise. In order to reach that conclusion, you might have noted something like the relative calm with which she approached the situation, and the suggestions that she handed out to the other two characters. This is just an initial guess, of course, but if you'd based your conclusions on different observations then you'll no doubt tell me.

But there are other elements to that scene as well, too. You could have determined that the way in which she decided to force her way out of the hatch without knowing the situation outside was impulsive, or that the manner in which she teased Alto after getting into her car was playful and flirtatious. Had you decided to lend more weight to these points, you may have reached a different overall conclusion about her character.

While Sheryl behaves rashly while chasing after her panties in episode eight, that is not the only side of her that we see. She still takes the time to advise Ranka on her career while in the showers, and she makes some rather insightful assessments of both Nanase and Michael. In addition, when Sheryl is with Alto, we see more playful teasing. So here too, your impressions will vary based on what you chose to extract from these scenes.

Let's see if there's a way of intergrating all these different facets of Sheryl's character. We know that Sheryl grew up without a family and rose to stardom relatively early on. It makes sense, then, that she comes across as having grown up rather quickly.

She's often quite observant, which is what often allows her to see to the heart of a problem and give the appropriate advice. Giving that her career is built off of reading the feelings of the crowd and inspiring them, this shouldn't come as a surprise. Likewise, in order to reach the level of success that she enjoys, it's understandable that she'd be dead serious as far as her work is concerned.

With Alto, she has a means of really enjoying herself for the very first time. Having missed out on many things in her childhood such as a normal school life and the sights and sounds of Frontier, it's understandable that she discovers these new things with a childlike wonder and playfulness.

At least part of her success as a singer comes from the fact that she puts her heart into it (which, as Ranka points out in episode two, is part of what charmed her - even when Sheryl goes overboard during an interview). While Sheryl's career has trained her to try to exercise restraint, her emotions frequently bubble to the surface. When she gets too caught up in something, her sheer enthusiasm tends to make her kick reason to the curb, as it were. The confidence that she exudes is also a means for Sheryl to cope with difficult circumstances; while she might not always feel strong inside, she always tries her hardest, for the sake of both herself and others.

The reason that we have consistancy here is because we have different responses for different circumstances, not different responses to the same circumstance.

While this may not be the only approach to understanding Sheryl's character, it does show that there exists at least one interpretation of her behavior that integrates all of her qualities in a consistant fashion. While the viewer is free to construct an interpretation of Sheryl in which she behaves inconsistantly, that's an issue for the viewer to resolve, not the writer.
Well yes I had gotten all that about her character, but that's just my point, had I felt these traits had been better integrated and one wasn't brought up when necessary for the plot and the others completely ignored for the time (the key problem here) as if they didn't exist at all then I wouldn't have this nitpick about her character.

Quote:
Can hypocrisy not be a form of characterization in itself?
Yes, but not when it's unwitting as it seems here. As I stated, it comes across as it being the result of overly flexible characterization ands style of response rather then a deliberate part of Sheryl's portrayal.

Quote:
This is where my point about static characters comes in. You're talking in terms of archetypes, rather than in terms of the character herself. You're right that she doesn't conform to either classification. Nor does she have to.
Yeah, she may have seperate character traits, but we only seem to see one set during any given episode within the context of whatever they are trying to do. In that sense she almost seems like 2-3 seperate archetypes or personalties rather then one complex personality.

Quote:
Can you think of an instance when you've said something wise? Can you think of an instance when you've done something impulsively? Even if you answer yes to both, you're not inconsistant. Different circumstances necessitate different responses.
Often there's a pattern though in even how I respond knowing myself and it's a unique response unto my own that makes me me. Sheryl doesn't really seem to have that going for her though and due to the type of scenes she's often featured in, they come across as either stock anime quotes that could have come from anyone, or like they are just making up her dialogue on the fly to fit the scene they need to play out without giving me that feeling that it's definitively Sheryl's own style of responding to the situation. Sometimes instead of Sheryl, this character ends up being Alto.

Quote:
As an aside: do you find any of the other characters inconsistant? Alto, for example, seems to be really good at handing out wise words to Ranka with regards to her career, but has shown himself to be quite reckless on many other occasions. He can be withdrawn and tries to avoid the limelight at times, but yet doesn't mind trying to pull off a flashy corkscrew in episode one.
Wasn't Sheryl more the overall mentor type and Alto more the "Get it by your hands" type?

Anyway, I always have problems with the way characters are portrayed in any given series, but Sheryl is one that they seem to be dragging all over the place in early episodes and in some cases 8. I thank you for your response, but I still think they are trying to make her look as cool as they possibly can at all times and it's making her character inconsistant and undefined as the 3 different archetypes jocky for the position of Sheryl's personality rather then combining together to create one definitive Sheryl. For all that excellent talk about different circumstances require different responses, it still seems like entirely different personalites altogether replying at different times, the reason being that normally I would imagine one would at least see traces of her other personality traits in how she comes up with those responses.

This doesn't mean I think she's a horribly flawed character in how she is written, just that I don't think for a second she's the godly written character that others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
I had been wondering if Swampstorm is Kawamori in disguise.

For him to dissect Sheryl right down to her bones for analysis . . . is overwhelming.
Perhaps, I'm Kawamori in disguise having gone over much of that in my blog, but for coming up with a different end conclusion in observing it all.
Old 2008-06-08, 19:40   Link #291
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm

I don't see any inconsistency in Sheryls character, at core she was always portrayed as someone who went after what she want while at the same time bearing alot of pride for her accomplishments. The advice she gave in ep 3 both in the shelter and when she gets in the car adhere to that. Ep 5 same thing, she knows from her own desire of wanting to sing and merely relayed that to Alto. Episode 8 was just her under stress of embarassment and thus got careless, it doesnt change her personality of chasing after what she wanted .

From time to time yes she does show weakness which is different from the strength we usually see in her, but keep in mind that while she might be insightful she is far from omniscient while she might be more experienced than her peers she is still just 17 and prone to her emotions. It's natural that characters may make mistakes, act irrational, depending on the circumstance, to expect them to behave the same all the time is probably unrealistic.... Sheryl might have similar pink hair but she is no Lacus Clyne.
Old 2008-06-08, 21:08   Link #292
Tak

Look, there is really no inconsistency with Sheryl. She is the kind of woman who will not take a beating lying down. Yes, she isn't perfect, and she has feelings too, but her arrogance and pride would demand her not admitting any of them unless she was sure she had someone she can trust (Alto, who knows its 'healthy' to keep Sheryl's secrets).

She makes the best out of the worst situations, we've seen that. She adapts quickly and responds quickly, thats her and there is nothing wrong with it. As a comparison, Alto is a more straight forward person, but both of them share one same quality, they both have a clear idea of what they want and sought to attain them (despite exercising slightly different methods in the process).

Sheryl isn't omnipotent, and she is no Lacus Clyne.

But she doesn't make irrational choices like Lacus Clyne, where in the events of Destiny she was saved by pure luck many times! Nor does Sheryl overly-rely on Alto to attain her goal.

Ranka on the other hand, requires a catalyst. Such is her character, which, needless to say, is different from both Alto and Sheryl.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-09, 00:49   Link #293
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Look, there is really no inconsistency with Sheryl. She is the kind of woman who will not take a beating lying down. Yes, she isn't perfect, and she has feelings too, but her arrogance and pride would demand her not admitting any of them unless she was sure she had someone she can trust (Alto, who knows its 'healthy' to keep Sheryl's secrets).

She makes the best out of the worst situations, we've seen that. She adapts quickly and responds quickly, thats her and there is nothing wrong with it. As a comparison, Alto is a more straight forward person, but both of them share one same quality, they both have a clear idea of what they want and sought to attain them (despite exercising slightly different methods in the process).

Sheryl isn't omnipotent, and she is no Lacus Clyne.

But she doesn't make irrational choices like Lacus Clyne, where in the events of Destiny she was saved by pure luck many times! Nor does Sheryl overly-rely on Alto to attain her goal.

Ranka on the other hand, requires a catalyst. Such is her character, which, needless to say, is different from both Alto and Sheryl.

- Tak
I think I can somewhat agree with this stance.
Old 2008-06-09, 00:51   Link #294
nines
I much prefer the 2d

Nice look on it Tak :P seems like most people can use Lacus Clyne as a example for women characters :P
Old 2008-06-09, 07:10   Link #295
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nines View Post
Nice look on it Tak :P seems like most people can use Lacus Clyne as a example for women characters :P
I really don't want to cite Lacus as an example, but people kept on bringing her up as if there aren't any other female characters that we can't pull from elsewhere who are just as independent, strong-willed and powerful.

Not that I have a problem with Lacus, because I do like Lacus as a character, but Lacus is Lacus, Sheryl is Sheryl. Sure, they share some similarities, but those similarities are few and they are really, really different characters! Moreover, Lacus emphasis on gambling her way through, and while they seemed to work in Destiny, she still got lucky nonetheless. Sheryl tend to improvise, and rely less on luck as well as recklessness. I just don't see Sheryl ever put into Lacus' position.

Besides, don't forget, Lacus was inspired by a certain Macross character, and you had better know who she is!

- Tak (Personally, for female characters, I'd pull a KOS-MOS as my last resort, because violence works, and whoever says it doesn't obviously isn't using enough!)

Last edited by Tak; 2008-06-09 at 16:46.
Old 2008-06-11, 21:54   Link #296
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Well, I kinda like Sheryl cus I know she's a Tsundere, and I'm a die-hard Tsundere-kei. She hasn't really shown her dere dere side yet but you know it's there. I think that the culture of Macross Frontier is a distinct mix of Western and Japanese culture (I mean, downtown SF is right next to Shibuya I think), and while Ranka-chan is the prototypical cute Japanese teen, Sheryl is more of a what the Japanese imagine as the ideal Westernized girl (independent, sexy, a little crazy, etc.). Although she isn't a typical tsundere, I think we'll see her blush soon enough. I still think the primary pair is still Alto x Ranka, so I'm not sure who Sheryl will end up with yet... What I do know is that she will continue to sing and rack up decent Oricon numbers.
Old 2008-06-11, 22:45   Link #297
Tak

Hmm, depends on the fans I think. Personally, I can hardly imagine a pair consisting of Alto x Ranka... just doesn't sit well with me, mentally or visually.

- Tak
Old 2008-06-11, 22:52   Link #298
nines
I much prefer the 2d

I don't see Alto x Ranka the maturity level seems to be way off, her shyness may cause him to feel a little something for her. But how he acts with Sheryl they're pretty much already mutual they've kissed once (mostly Sheryl did it but how Alto acted after the kiss) and at the Zenteradi mall she kissed him and he was like awe struck and didn't freak on her which seems like something he would do. Sheryl plays the boy with Alto she teases him and he trys to tease her on some level and well fails they definantly have something going on, and Sheryl hits on him alot obviously hes aware (hopefully) and he dosn't stop it.

I realize I suck with words and grammar and shit but yea if you didn't understand one fckin word I just said or how I said it. Mainly saying Sheryl x Alto seems more normal and agreeing with Tak
Old 2008-06-12, 01:19   Link #299
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Although she isn't a typical tsundere, I think we'll see her blush soon enough. I still think the primary pair is still Alto x Ranka, so I'm not sure who Sheryl will end up with yet... What I do know is that she will continue to sing and rack up decent Oricon numbers.
I believe Sheryl already blushed in episode 5 and now episode 10. But, well said, I like you already, AVplaya lol
Old 2008-06-12, 02:23   Link #300
vision33r
Oldskool Otaku

As much as we speculate about who ends up with who.. there's no sure bets.. in Macross 7, Basara+Mylene is not a sure bet.

Heck, even Max and Miria ended up in divorce so anything could happen..

I think Alto eventually will end up with Ranka, she needs him more than Sheryl does.

Eventually Ranka will get popular and possibly give Sheryl some competition, she will miss Alto more and eventually the two will get together.

Sheryl seems to like her work more seriously and Altoh would just end up being her slave.

I'm pretty sure Ozama Lee would approve if Alto takes Ranka.

Maybe the end of Macross F, Sheryl would be by herself, she still has a long way to go before settling down with someone.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters