AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2006-01-13, 06:17   Link #21
PaPe
The chibi mistress

Same problem as the two before me, same ad too.
PaPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 07:22   Link #22
LytHka
Banned

Same here, the same ad and you can't normally browse the forum unless you use the drop-down menu.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 07:26   Link #23
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier
I don't know if it's just me, but this morning (european time zone) , I got one of the ads (smaller than the ones we were used to) by loading AS forum... it popped out from the top left corner, and needless to say, yes it's very intrusive.
Just wanted to state it.

edit: oh, anticipated by a minute.. well, so the problem is the same.
Yes I get the same ad plus there are some threads and links that for some reason are not clickable anymore?
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 07:34   Link #24
Mizzy

I'm getting the same thing.
Does the forum have a mirror as it is on the forum page as well and this is getting very annoying as i cant press half the button on the top of the page. I can't even put any thing in the title bar as i can't click it or change the size of my text by using the buttons (even though i don't need them )
Hope this is fixed soon.
Mizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 07:48   Link #25
vin.dictive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier
I don't know if it's just me, but this morning (european time zone) , I got one of the ads (smaller than the ones we were used to) by loading AS forum... it popped out from the top left corner, and needless to say, yes it's very intrusive.
Just wanted to state it.

edit: oh, anticipated by a minute.. well, so the problem is the same.
That ad is really pissing me off. It has a range of "you can't click it" at the top-left corner. Really annoying when your trying to change your custom title because its impossible. >:\
vin.dictive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 07:50   Link #26
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

I have that ad as well. I can't click anything in the upper-left corner anymore.
Old 2006-01-13, 07:56   Link #27
vin.dictive

Any link that crosses that range is instantly non-clickable when the ad shows up.
vin.dictive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 08:08   Link #28
Nergs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin.dictive

Any link that crosses that range is instantly non-clickable when the ad shows up.
I get that too and it's REALLY pissing me off. Is there anyway to get rid of it as I can't use alot of the links with it there?
Nergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 08:43   Link #29
Kuro

I can't click links that are on the upper part of the page, either. I'm running a 1600 x 1200 resolution, too. It's severely annoying.
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 08:43   Link #30
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Yep its far too intrusive...
Cant get at User CP to Members list.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 08:52   Link #31
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

that auto-piss-people-off add is well.....you get the idea....

P.S. switching to VBulletin Style might help you get in the user cp
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 09:08   Link #32
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin.dictive

Well, this is a separate issue then the Ads on the main Suki site. It should probably get its own thread.

I too am having that problem with the links in the upper left corner, but only with Firefox 1.5. I'm currently using Seamonkey 1.0b which uses the latest Gecko engine and those links are fine. I also tried the links with MS Internet Explorer and an older version of Mozilla and the only problem I'm having is with Firefox (don't have Opera loaded on this box, so couldn't test it).

My question is: are you guys using Firefox? Either way, there's a problem with the links in the upper left corner. Try switcing to a different browser.

Edit: Hmm....I just tested it again with Firefox and it all seems to be working fine now. Must be related to that Ad. Hmmm....
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 10:14   Link #33
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirls
My question is: are you guys using Firefox? Either way, there's a problem with the links in the upper left corner. Try switcing to a different browser.
That's a very unreasonable request. But, I guess the link is gone. Thank you.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 10:17   Link #34
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
That's a very unreasonable request.
Yes, the problem is the adverts (i'm still getting them). It's one thing to have adverts in the first place (to pay the server costs) but it's another to have such a annoying set of adverts. And it's not as if it's just now and then, there seem to be a constant stream of annoying adverts displayed in either the main site or on the forum.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 10:21   Link #35
wao
OK.

Yes, it's really annoying because of that non-clickable area... but if you block Javascript for now it works (however a lot of sites use Javascript for simple but essential things). There's a Firefox extension for blocking Javascript from certain sites only; or allowing them for certain ones only, maybe that'd help...

Certainly would be very appreciated if those ads went. Why does the forum need ads in German, actually...
Old 2006-01-13, 10:28   Link #36
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
That's a very unreasonable request.
I meant as a test. Not permanently. It's not unreasonable to test a problem from multiple angles.
Old 2006-01-13, 10:53   Link #37
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

1) Is anyone still getting this ad right now? I tried several browsers, but I don't see it.

2) What I just did was to convert the ads from using the vBulletin template system to use
the new (introduced in v3.5) plugin system. The significance of that is that if any of the
forum admins (me, xris, Nightwish and NoSanninWa) notices an really intrusive ad, then
they can simply disable ALL forum ads instantly by doing:

Admin CP -> Plugin System -> Plugin Manager -> Untick active box for 'Forum Ads' -> Click 'Save active status'

3) I do not know how the ads work -- either the advertisers are extremely DUMB and pay
for impression-based advertising that is hardly targeted (only a little % of forum visitors
can read German) OR they expect us to learn German eventually

It doesn't matter that they're German to me; as long as they're reasonbly unintrusive.
Which this ad obviously isn't. So if there is any other report that this ad is still floating around,
we can now disable it easy, and I'll then leave it to Mb81 to clean up the mess.

4) Btw, in this particular ad, to close it (based on the screenshot) you need to click
on the "schließen" link in the lower left corner. It's a text link.

Edit:
Email with link to this thread send to Mb81. Don't know when he will respond though.
(Though the last time I mentioned that in a post he responded within minutes...)

Last edited by GHDpro; 2006-01-13 at 11:21.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 11:15   Link #38
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
1) Is anyone still getting this ad right now? I tried several browsers, but I don't see it.
I don't see it in any browser. I think it's gone.
Old 2006-01-13, 11:24   Link #39
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Good News x 2!

1) I got a response pretty quick from Mb81; he's obviously aware of it (the ads are pretty
much the same for all of his sites I presume, so there are a LOT of people who might have
complained about this particular ad). He says it should be gone by today, and it probably already is.

2) I also got the okay for an idea I shot of to him -- modify the plugin to ONLY show
ads for Guest users (which outnumber logged in users up to 8:1). This should mean
no more ads for logged in users!

Edit:
Oops, should have reloaded first
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 11:28   Link #40
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

I think the ad's now moved to the centre top of the screen. Everytime my mouse goes past that ad, it expands and won't go away.

It's the same for my browsers, both IE and Avant.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote