AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-11-27, 11:35   Link #1001
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

We call JQ, JQQ cause they always QQ on the forum especially when they get "double-teamed" by other servers.

I'm sitting out on GW2 for now. Maybe things will change down the road especially in sPvP and WvW.
Old 2012-11-27, 16:50   Link #1002
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Setting out of GW2 as well. Not really liking the current gem rate. Nor the way SPvP or WvW currently are. Maybe I'll wait for another expansion as I did for the first GW?
Old 2012-11-27, 16:59   Link #1003
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Adding myself to the list of people sitting out as well, though it's likely permanent or at least an extended hiatus for me. I was able to avoid the MMO burnout for a while, but I eventually just got bored of the WvW zerg and the PvE that was very much a grind despite their insistence that it wasn't. Also, and most importantly, the game needed more content at 80 but introducing a new tier of gear, however limited, was not the answer.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-29, 05:43   Link #1004
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I have a bunch of newbie questions about the dungeons:

1. Do item rewards reflect your actual level or are they capped to the maximum level of the dungeon?

2. Since your first time in a dungeon is automatically story mode, do you have to be in a party doing story mode or you can't get in?

3. Er... my laptop has been having a few freezing issues recently so I'm always prepared to crash during a raid. If I do freeze when I reconnect am I kicked out of the dungeon/party?

4. It's... impossible to solo run dungeon, unlike soloing a lower level WoW instance?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-29, 07:15   Link #1005
FateAnomaly

1) It reflects your level to a certain extent. If you doing AC at lv 80 , you can get up to 70+ lv item or lv 30+ items.

2) You don't have to be in a party but you wouldn't clear the dungeon.

3) You will still be in the party but out of the dungeon unless they kick you.

4) For all pratical purposes its impossible.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 00:56   Link #1006
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I don't get you people from the higher tiered-WvW servers. It's like watching a bad teen drama. You guys need to not forget that it's a GAME. So many people get so super-serious over WvW then quit or transfer when their server starts losing. Or burn out trying to get a Legendary. Don't be fools and just play. So what if you die a lot? Armor repairs are dirt cheap.

My only complaint recently is that Fractals makes the game feel really grind-y. But they do give good loot, so I do 'em sometimes for the Ecto's and raw mats I can salvage. Good thing about the Fractals is that you don't really need to get Ascended gear unless you run the higher-level Fractals. It won't matter until Ascended armor and weapons come out.... whenever that will be. Then again I shouldn't talk when I have 2 Ascended back items.... I guess that just makes me a hypocrite.

I also made a guild recently just for the hell of it. I'm the only member, but it's interesting to essentially have my own additional 100 bank space. MWAHAHAHA. So far I've gotten up to Rank 2 in everything, plus one Rank 3. Running in WvW groups when everything is continuously back and forth does wonders for my influence.

I just recently tried out a new Warrior sPVP build, which is the classic Mace/Shield + Greatsword tank build. I honestly have no idea why I haven't tried this build before. Needless to say I didn't come up with this build, but got it here: http://guildwars2grandmaster.com/bui...-control-tank/

It works really well, especially if you use either a Knight's Amulet or a Soldier's Amulet, with a Jewel of your choice. I personally use a Soldier's Amulet as it comes default from the vendor for maximum mitigation and HP (my health is 26k+ with this amulet), with enough Power to get by. For Runes I use Runes of the Dolyak for EVEN MORE health and mitigation, plus with 6/6 you get passive health regen, which means you stay up even longer. Sigils you can use whatever you want, but for maximum synergy my Mace and Shield use dual Sigils of Paralyzation (+30% stun duration total), and for my Greatsword I use Sigil of Battle (3 stacks might on weapon switch). My main tactic is either going to be complete lockdown with interrupts and chain stuns and kill them through attrition, or it's going to be rush in, knockdown/stun, swap weapons and hit the enemy with Hundred Blades (Greatsword 2 ability) before they can get up and move out of melee range.

This build isn't necessarily about heavy burst DPS (though I can put out enough to pressure people effectively and kill anything but other tanks), it's about staying alive and locking down enemies with chain stuns, which is very effective solo and absolutely devastating when you're running with a group. So far in sPVP I've noticed I've had trouble killing people... not because I'm dying but because they run away from me. So I just sit on a point and cap it while my team caps the rest of the map. This build has great survivability that only a invisible thief or fully-tanked Guardian can match, but it is surprisingly versatile because of the insane number of interrupts, stuns, and immobilizes you have available.
Old 2012-12-07, 07:31   Link #1007
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

^Oh your questioning the mindset of hardcore PvPers in a MMO, you should never question the mindset of hardcore PvPers in a MMO

They will always think in how should I put it "odd" ways compared to those that don't really care.
But they hate losing so will do anything and everything in order to gain that win, simple.
And tbh I can't exactly fault them for having that mindset even if it's just a game.
It's when they start being complete arseholes that you can start hating on their sorry little rears.

Well I've finally started to get back into the game now after 10 weeks away from it and I'm finally starting to get some of the gear I've wanted.
Joining a guild can make all the difference in how much more fun and enjoyable the game becomes
Old 2012-12-07, 09:08   Link #1008
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
^Oh your questioning the mindset of hardcore PvPers in a MMO, you should never question the mindset of hardcore PvPers in a MMO

They will always think in how should I put it "odd" ways compared to those that don't really care.
But they hate losing so will do anything and everything in order to gain that win, simple.
And tbh I can't exactly fault them for having that mindset even if it's just a game.
It's when they start being complete arseholes that you can start hating on their sorry little rears.
As a hardcore PvPer, I think you're confusing "hardcore PvPer" with "whiny 5-year-old-syndrome players who pretend to like PvP, but in actually simply like winning".

Hardcore PvPers, as a rule, don't enjoy losing, but they certainly aren't the type of player to change servers, quit, etc, just to find ways to stop losing. They stop losing by winning, without gaming the system or looking for an easy way out.

They also make up a far, far, faaaaaaaaaar, smaller percent of the playerbase than I think most people think. I've been hardcore pvping in "MMOs" since the text-based MUD days (one MUD I put over 5k hours into, 95% based on killing other players, with over 10k kills, in an era where there were no "battlegrounds", etc, and you worked for every single kill), and I can count on maybe four hands the people I've personally met with this mindset over the last twenty years. Who don't enjoy losing, but are also not bothered by it-other than for it to serve as a motivational tool-one bit. Who fully understand it's just a game, so you don't have to treat dying like in real life (players who do whatever they can to avoid death crack me up, btw).

Now, there ARE a lot of players who profess to be "PvPers", who are in reality simply people with short attention spans looking for a quick ego boost through winning a virtual game. They abhor losing, and don't really have a real competitive bone in their entire body, because it's not about overcoming your opponent, but getting that quick fix of ego, akin to a crack addict. They look for every way they can to game the system. These are the guys in Vanilla WoW who rolled the underpopulated faction for faster BG queue times, then afked out of any game that pit them up against another pre-made, while only playing in a pre-made themselves, so they could wrack up as many quick wins over hapless pugs as possible. They're the ones who turned what was once the #1 server in the world to a bottom-feeder in GW2. Who, when faced with even a whiff of adversity, look for an easy way out.

They apparently never grew up playing sports of any kind, as they lack any of the qualities one hopes one's children cultivate playing youth sports.

There's a clear difference, and for years, I've hated that that vast pool of players who fit into that category are even considered PvPers at all, as it just warps the whole dialog and design intents surrounding MMO PvP.

As for GW2, I'm also taking a break, as both the spvp and WvWvW (especially the WvWvW) has grown stale. I never liked the completely anonymous nature of WvWvW. I like my pvp personal. Even online shooters are more personal than GW2's pvp. I dislike completely separating my characters between PvE, WvWvW, and sPvP. Again, there's nothing personal about it. Part of playing MMOs is the barbie-effect, and that's nearly completely absent for pvpers.

I'm not necessarily against zergs. I think they can potentially make for great moments. Those 36 hour stand-offs in Alterac Valley during WoW's vanilla days are probably some of my fondest pvp moments ever. But, those moments were great because they were so personal. While I've taken a small measure of server pride in my server, I can't say I have a single truly memorable event that stands out from WvWvW.

It's hard for me to care, week in, and week out, when I'm fighting nameless characters who may as well just be NPCs. Who all look exactly alike.

Ironically, I think it'd be far easier for GW 2 to flesh out its pve game, and actually think pvp is the weaker of the two aspects in the game's current state.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 09:42   Link #1009
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Now, there ARE a lot of players who profess to be "PvPers", who are in reality simply people with short attention spans looking for a quick ego boost through winning a virtual game. They abhor losing, and don't really have a real competitive bone in their entire body, because it's not about overcoming your opponent, but getting that quick fix of ego, akin to a crack addict. They look for every way they can to game the system. These are the guys in Vanilla WoW who rolled the underpopulated faction for faster BG queue times, then afked out of any game that pit them up against another pre-made, while only playing in a pre-made themselves, so they could wrack up as many quick wins over hapless pugs as possible. They're the ones who turned what was once the #1 server in the world to a bottom-feeder in GW2. Who, when faced with even a whiff of adversity, look for an easy way out.
Ha, this part of that post really resonates. These people helped kill my first guild in Vanilla WoW. About half the officers decided they all wanted to be Grand Marshal and formed a little clique within the guild, account traded to play 24/7, afk'd out when they ran into an organized team with known opposing players, used map exploits to guarantee wins while saying it was simply Blizzard's fault for not fixing them, and even win traded with people on the opposing faction who were doing the same thing. And after they got the title and gear they wanted, many of them said they now hated PvP and never wanted to do it again. Forcing themselves to do something they didn't even like just to get some meaningless achievement is something I will never understand, yet it seems like it's a mentality that's becoming increasingly common. It's not about the thrill of competition anymore, it's about farming the best gear so you can say you have the best gear.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 16:43   Link #1010
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I agree with you, creb. For the most part.

I am not really overly competitive, but I do occasionally drop in sPVP in order to test out builds. Sometimes they don't go so well, but in some ways those times are the most helpful to tell me what is bad about a particular spec.

I do enjoy WvW for what it is. That is, the opportunity to participate in large-scale battles of 30+ players you can't really find in very many other MMOs. While I also thought it was weird how players weren't named, I think that it's in some ways more important to know what their server is than their username... you most probably will never see them again anyway. If you saw their name you wouldn't be able to tell at a quick glance which server they were from, therefore it would be hard to tell your teammates "Blackgate attacking garrison," or similar situations.

I'm the first to admit that I'm no expert on WvW strategy aside from the basic "whoever has supplies wins" and "don't take supplies from upgrading keeps", but knowing the opponent's character name seems really low on the list of things I need to know. What I do need to know is what server they're from, if they're part of a large guild zerg, and how many of them there are (and if they have a mesmer or not). And in a large zerg which happens more often than not, you would not (nor should you) be able to take the time to read each person's name anyway.

The times that do get up-close and personal are in sPVP and tournaments. And then it DOES matter who you're facing. I haven't done any tourneys yet because I don't belong to a sPVP guild but I would bet that people in the highest skill levels would know each other fairly well; in which case knowing their name is probably ultra important so you know what you're running into.
Old 2012-12-07, 17:11   Link #1011
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I don't have much time to play the game.
So for a "casual player" the only things who bother me so much is the rare items droprate or materials for crafting , the gold are hard to get too.
Crafting Exotic stuff are such a pain in the ass specially weapons (45 destroyers lodestones really..) so i can forget Legendary weapons & Ascended stuff.
If you got moneys this is easier to get.
Well i managed to craft my Exotic Explorer's gears , for the weapons i'll take the rare one.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 23:18   Link #1012
Xacual

Well Winterday started. The jumping puzzle is fun, timed though it's not a hard one.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 23:23   Link #1013
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Well Winterday started. The jumping puzzle is fun, timed though it's not a hard one.
Not fond of the jumping puzzle as it made me fail twice without me actually falling so I went to do the Guitar Hero activity instead, which is actually quite good fun
Old 2012-12-14, 23:28   Link #1014
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Not fond of the jumping puzzle as it made me fail twice without me actually falling so I went to do the Guitar Hero activity instead, which is actually quite good fun
What did you get to in the jumping puzzle? The number one thing I've seen people failing on is just going to slow and the the presents being gone. Also I need to try out that guitar hero thing.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-12-14, 23:37   Link #1015
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

You guys still on Swamp of Sorrows? Was bumming around on a newbie necromancer the other day, didn't see anyone on I knew.
Old 2012-12-14, 23:43   Link #1016
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
You guys still on Swamp of Sorrows? Was bumming around on a newbie necromancer the other day, didn't see anyone on I knew.
Well I just got the game and my only friend I knew played on Ehmry Bay so that's where I went. Of course he never actually plays...

Old 2012-12-15, 00:18   Link #1017
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I see, well I have me a level 47 engineer, and a couple level 2-6 characters, Necro is level.. 4 or 5. Hadn't played for months though, until the other day.
Old 2012-12-15, 21:12   Link #1018
Xacual

Has anyone done the winterday dungeon yet? Was just about to go try the grove one.

Just finished it, I haven't done any other dungeons but it was just a chain of events in a big room. Very easy all around, never got close to dying. Got an exotic sword out of it, annoying since I bought one yesterday but oh well it's better than what I had.

Last edited by Xacual; 2012-12-15 at 21:47.
Old 2012-12-22, 15:26   Link #1019
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Finally got 100% map completion took forever. Now all I have to do is get Arah & CoF armor then a Legendary weapon
Old 2012-12-23, 00:03   Link #1020
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Started playing again and got to level 45. Was getting pwned too much so I swapped out all the mf stuff save 1% mf jewel. Mostly just rely on strawberry tarts.

Right now I have that bloodlust sigil on my necro's staff and a sigil on my weapon switch (2x dagger) that activates might when I switch to it. The other dagger has a 20% to heal on striking. Been putting down some serious hurt and able to heal my minions quickly is pretty awesome.

Also, saw my first Rich Platinum Vein. Tis like item porn.

Winterday is funny. I really like what they've done with it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote