AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-03, 11:21   Link #441
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Ep. 38

When Shurrei refers to "that man," is she talking about Sakujun or Ryuuki? I believe she's used that phrase to refer to both of them at different times. I think in the context of most of the episode she's probably referring to Sakujun, but given her upcoming journey could she have been thinking of Ryuuki?

As an ex-academic, I applaud Shurrei and Eigetsu's decision on the best way forward for Brown Province.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 19:06   Link #442
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I know if I watch episode 39 once more, I'll cry all over again. What a lovely ending to an extraordinary first season. May all the gods watch over Sai Yukino so she can continue to tell us more about the lives of these wonderful characters. And, may their blessings extend to the We Suck and Shadow Dreams teams without whose work I would never have been able to enjoy this series.

Let the second season begin!
Old 2007-04-09, 20:22   Link #443
usagijen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMoo-chan View Post
I adore the entire first season, and this one seems to have started promisingly and moved straight into a balance of plot (with Ryuuki's marriage situation and Kurou's plans for Shuurei) and comedy, with the familiar characters of the capital finally returning after all the time spent in Sa Province.

The new OP sequence is also interesting, too, especially as it reveals a couple of characters that make me wonder. The brown-haired girl that appears at the start and end seems likely to be the Rose Princess due to her hair ornament and the way she is compared with Shuurei, and I deduced that the seemingly unknown man who appears next to Son Taifu in the throne room shot is one head of the Emperor's guards. I must ask, though, if anyone knows who the white-haired bishounen that appears in the opening is.

Spoiler:

I also must wonder who the last two characters on the official website are. (http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/saiunkoku/almanach/index.php) Their appearance on that page would suggest they are important to the future plot, although they do not seem to enter the tale until around volume 10.
didn't notice about the appearance of Rin Senya in ANN's cast till you mentioned it o_o;; this could either be the real one from the Lin clan, or... Sakujun, revived? o_o

all this is making me want to read the novels... *to read or not to read?* >.<'''

on a side note, I'm just 2/3 through the series (till ep27.. hoping to finish the 1st season by this week), and I just had to let out some comments / rants I had regarding Sakujun being Shuurei's weakness... sigh... anyways, those who want to read it can just go here
usagijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 13:10   Link #444
Ch1kane

[QUOTE=The new OP sequence is also interesting, too, especially as it reveals a couple of characters that make me wonder. The brown-haired girl that appears at the start and end seems likely to be the Rose Princess due to her hair ornament and the way she is compared with Shuurei, and I deduced that the seemingly unknown man who appears next to Son Taifu in the throne room shot is one head of the Emperor's guards. I must ask, though, if anyone knows who the white-haired bishounen that appears in the opening is.[/QUOTE]

wow you sure have shape eyes! i din even realise there this brown hair girl i think. since she's a princess i think she's going to be matchmake to Ryuuki ( he needs a empress/concubine) and i just realise that Saiunkoku Monogatari sure have some popular seiyuus
Ch1kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 13:30   Link #445
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I need some enlightenment on the ages of Seiran and Ryuuki. I've been rewatching season one from the beginning, and at one point Seiran (Seien) claims to be 21. Ryuuki, I believe, is supposed to be 19. Yet there were six brothers, and I think Seien was second in birth order, while Ryuuki was last. Both brothers speak as if all six of them were conceived by the same mother, so I would have thought Seien had to be much more than two years older than Ryuuki. Ryuuki says that Seien left when Ryuuki was six. If we imagine that in the flashback scenes Ryuuki is 5-6 (which looks plausible given his character model), that would have made Seien 8 or so. He looks much more like he's 10-12 in those scenes.

I always pictured Seiran as about 24-26, which fits better with the flashbacks. It also makes him a bit old to be a potential husband to Shurrei as well, since she starts out in the show at 16.
Old 2007-04-10, 21:31   Link #446
poisonakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I need some enlightenment on the ages of Seiran and Ryuuki. I've been rewatching season one from the beginning, and at one point Seiran (Seien) claims to be 21. Ryuuki, I believe, is supposed to be 19. Yet there were six brothers, and I think Seien was second in birth order, while Ryuuki was last. Both brothers speak as if all six of them were conceived by the same mother, so I would have thought Seien had to be much more than two years older than Ryuuki. Ryuuki says that Seien left when Ryuuki was six. If we imagine that in the flashback scenes Ryuuki is 5-6 (which looks plausible given his character model), that would have made Seien 8 or so. He looks much more like he's 10-12 in those scenes.

I always pictured Seiran as about 24-26, which fits better with the flashbacks. It also makes him a bit old to be a potential husband to Shurrei as well, since she starts out in the show at 16.
The Shi brothers do not have the same mothers. The previous emperor, Senka,
had multiple concubines so neither Ryuuki or seiran and their brothers have the same mother. Think about it. If Seiran and Ryuuki had the same mother than both Seiran and Ryuuki would have been exiled since Seiran was exiled because his maternal grandfather planned a coup.
Seiran is 26 at the beginning of the story (he lied about his age)
Ryuuki was 19 at the beginning of the story.

Hope that helps
poisonakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 22:48   Link #447
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyqueen View Post
Does anyone know when that would be with subtitle?
Patience is golden. There will be subs in time.

I just rewatched about 20 or so key episodes of Season 1, and it really made a lot of difference in perception for me.

I've always thought that the first few episodes were the black sheeps of SaiMono, since they gave a weird first impression that may turn off potential viewers with yaoi-ish vibes among other things, but looking back, a lot of pieces really fit into place even though I still think it could've been animated better. It's like every single second of the anime be it from episode 1 all the way to episode 39 slowly, but surely layed out every single foundation to build up the show to how it ended in Season 1, be it Shuurei's slow climb to being a government official and so many other plot and character developments. Sai Yukino officially rocks. Easily my 2nd favourite novel-to-anime novellist, 2nd only to Fuyumi Ono with her 12 Kingdoms and Ghost Hunt work which were also great.

Easily the most underrated show in recent years in my opinion. It may not as vague as some even more obscure series, but the quality of the writing and storytelling in SaiMono deserves way more exposure than what it's getting.

Watching Seirei no Moribito for example, made me feel weird in a lot of ways. SaiMono is a great show, but like I said, it suffered from mediocre visual and atmospheric direction. It has strong pacing and great stories/characters, so it's still a great show, but I can't help but lament the thought of SaiMono getting Seirei-level...or hell, even other Madhouse-level of strong, solid visual direction which SaiMono so deserves, due to it's psuedo-oriental historical feel which could've been so strongly enforced by detailed background and faithful animation. Kairi Yura's illustrations and manga of SaiMono showed perfectly the level of vibrancy, detail and colours in SaiMono that would've been works of wonders, had it retained more than 60% of it in animation.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 10:28   Link #448
KingMoo-chan
Onmyoji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
Oh...is he. I am still wondering what is it all about. I personally thought

Spoiler:
Thank goodness for your summaries, Impz, they're invariably useful for confirming my understanding of the episodes.

With regards to Riou,
Spoiler:

Last edited by KingMoo-chan; 2007-04-15 at 10:43.
KingMoo-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 19:43   Link #449
usagijen

I am almost done watching the first season of Saiunkoku (4 episodes to go), and I was amazed by how the story was wonderfully weaved from the beginning. At this point, Sakujun has really growed on me, but nevertheless there are still some questions that I need to be clarified with, specifically regarding one decision that Shuurei made... I have made some speculations about it, but I'm not quite certain of them... so it'll be a great if you guys can help clear my mind off this

Spoiler:

That said, I really have to go finish watching this and watch season 2... >o<
Old 2007-04-17, 10:14   Link #450
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have an even better question along these same lines: Why did Ryukki go alone to rescue Shurrei in the first story arc? Why didn't Ran Shogun say, "You're the emperor. Of course, you can't go alone; I'll send along some guards to help you." Or, even more plausibly, "You stay here, and I'll send some of the imperial guard to rescue her."

I think the answer to both these questions is simply dramatic license.
Old 2007-04-17, 18:27   Link #451
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Because he couldn't leave Shuurei's rescue to others and still be a man! Or so someone would probably say...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 19:32   Link #452
usagijen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I have an even better question along these same lines: Why did Ryukki go alone to rescue Shurrei in the first story arc? Why didn't Ran Shogun say, "You're the emperor. Of course, you can't go alone; I'll send along some guards to help you." Or, even more plausibly, "You stay here, and I'll send some of the imperial guard to rescue her."

I think the answer to both these questions is simply dramatic license.
Someone from the Saiunkoku LJ community helped me clear my mind off these questions... and just to sum up the answers they gave me:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-18, 21:25   Link #453
MemoryDragon

I know better than to ask when, but this is more of an "if" question. Has anyone picked up subbing the second season? I'm starting to get worried. I'd be more than happy to wait patiently if these fears are rested.
MemoryDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 08:48   Link #454
LKK

Shadow Dreams plans to continue its subbing into season 2. However, that won't happen until the team finishes season 1 of course.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 15:10   Link #455
Kourika
Crazy Dog Lady

Usagijen, from what I can tell from flipping through the novels Suou and Seiga end up working for Shuurei later in the series...in the latest novel, Seiga gets a bit, well, fresh with Shuurei as well, to put it mildly.

The novels are definitely worth reading if you can following Japanese or Chinese (I assume they've been translated) because there's a lot of stuff you can create in your own mind while you read the text. There's some stuff you'd rather not think about while reading the text (Shou-Taishi, quit having such creepy dialogue when you talk about Sa Enjun, thankyewverymuch).

I'm eagerly awaiting fansubs of Season 2, but I'd happily take raw if I could find them. Ah well, patience is a virtue.

Last edited by Kourika; 2007-04-20 at 07:37. Reason: Typo
Kourika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 23:51   Link #456
MemoryDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Shadow Dreams plans to continue its subbing into season 2. However, that won't happen until the team finishes season 1 of course.
Ah. Many thanks. T___T That some how just made me more depressed, but I can still hope they come out before it gets liscenced, right? ^^;;;
MemoryDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 20:36   Link #457
kinbari08

Shadow Dreams has another 6 episodes before they finish the 1st season. I was watching their releases but switched to We-Suck's at ep. 34 since I couldn't wait any longer. We-suck finished season 1 and I'm holding onto the hope that they will continue onto the second season. They were a little slow starting out season 1 last year if I rememebr correctly so hopefully we will see something soon.
kinbari08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 09:35   Link #458
usagijen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kourika View Post
Usagijen, from what I can tell from flipping through the novels Suou and Seiga end up working for Shuurei later in the series...in the latest novel, Seiga gets a bit, well, fresh with Shuurei as well, to put it mildly.

The novels are definitely worth reading if you can following Japanese or Chinese (I assume they've been translated) because there's a lot of stuff you can create in your own mind while you read the text. There's some stuff you'd rather not think about while reading the text (Shou-Taishi, quit having such creepy dialogue when you talk about Sa Enjun, thankyewverymuch).

I'm eagerly awaiting fansubs of Season 2, but I'd happily take raw if I could find them. Ah well, patience is a virtue.
thanks for telling me that... and wow... that 'something' with Seiga made me even want to read the novel now... >.>'''

but about "creating the scenes" with your own mind, hehe... that could be quite dangerous... LOL ;P
Old 2007-04-22, 09:32   Link #459
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
hahahah, that is extremely dangerous, especially when you have a very fertile mind.
It's still creepy in the anime. (( I get shivers every time I rewatch the episode where Sa was creepily fondling the ash-bottle and calling out Enjun's name with those... un-Sa-ish voice of his. )) Thank god we probably won't see too much of that anymore.

Haha, Reishin the pedo.

It's even worse if you read the Special Chapter for the SaiMono manga volume 1.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-22, 10:53   Link #460
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Oh when will they shift their attention from Sa Province?And i dont want Shuurei to go back,because that will mean less screen time for Ryuukie and his merry friends.

Did anyone read the novels here?I want to read but sadly i am a Chinese but i am not chinese educated so i cannot understand a word.Did the anime follow the novels closely?Can anyone tell me anything shock and big i can expect from the novel?(Aside of Ryuuki being forced to look for a concubine)

It has always struck my mind that Ryuuren may be a spy secretly working for the government,but i guess that theory of mine is a bit too far-fetched

And the guy with silver hair...i am getting addicted to SaiMono.It really intrigue me
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, madhouse