AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2009-09-05, 00:37   Link #161
Matt122005

According to Anime News Network, the official anime in english has renamed Nora as Nola.

So Im worried maybe that Yen Press will do so also.

I want Horo and Nora, not l's.

-Matt
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 01:47   Link #162
Riful
Of The West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
How do you know for sure that the Japanese company is dictating the names and it wasn't an open decision for Yen Press to make? O_o
Because that's the spelling they use and have used ever since the anime first premiered in Japan.
And as Vexx said, the foreign companies need the approval of the Japanese company for almost every little detail. And if the Japanese care, they can decide the names' spelling, which ends in things as Satoru being spelt as "Satol" (E'S author), Taito turning into "Tite" (Bleach author), Yuu becoming "You" (You Higuri). These are all authors but of course they can do the same for character name's (f.ex. in Sgt Frog there was a character Kirara, but the Japanese forced Tokyopop to turn it into Kilala).

Seriously, for Holo they even did show her name in the anime itself. So it's pretty clear that the Japanese have decided on this spelling.

I'll quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riful View Post
The only official place where "Horo" has been ever used is indeed Yen Press' homepage. On the other side Holo has been used everywhere, from the japanese anime homepage, to Kadokawa's English page, to the Japanese merchandise [ one, two, three, four, and many more] and finally now by Funimation.
Now add the anime itself and Yen Press to that list as well. Also note the Nola cell phone strap.

And Vexx, your explanation is quite right, but one thing is missing imho.

Quote:
Hey, I even took her name (in the light novels) to a few Japanese instructors I know and they were like, "of course it should be "ro" that's the official romaji for that character".
The problem is, we aren't necessarily talking about a Japanese name, actually the chances that Holo's name is supposed to be Japanese are very slim imho, given the setting of the series. So especially when using Katakana "lo" can be the intended sound (even a D can be intended - see "Purin = Pudding"). As you wouldn't turn Lawrence into Rowrence just because "ロ is usually transliterated as ro". That'd end in quite a mess. I'd go so far as to saying that in theory (i.e. in the Katakana chart) ロ might be ro, but in practice (Katakana-go used in daily life) it can be quite a lot of different things.
And honestly I'm a bit shocked at a Japanese instructor not explaining that in a more detailed way, we had a whole debate about that in class ^^;

Quote:
They also intuitively made the connection to the Ainu word for wolf.
you're kidding? This I find hard to believe XD few Japanese know Ainu-go, so would this one word be one of the few they all know? (like Kamui maybe, I dunno any other)

Quote:
Now this is the first I've heard of them writing "Nora" as "Nola" ... if so, that's definitely offbase as there's clearly a European name spelled "Nora". Blergh... another reason to learn Japanese and blow off the translations, eh?
Nora might be more well known, but Nola is also an existing name. Might be a coincidence and I do prefer Nora myself, but it's there.

I only hope they'll spell Diana as Diana, not that weird english-fied spelling the fansubs are using.

Last edited by Riful; 2009-09-05 at 02:10.
Riful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 02:01   Link #163
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah, I should clarify -- only one of them knew the Ainu word for wolf. But they all scratched their head at the "lo". One of the others suggested that who ever made the decision might be an older person

If we had some European name to go by for Horo/Holo, like we do for Lawrence and Nora (or Nola) - it'd be easier to swallow the "lo" choice. Honestly, I think it boils down to the shape of the letter "l" being more appealing to the decisionmaker. I've beaten this horse to smithereens... so like I keep saying, I just type it ホロ and its pronounced the same way no matter what.

Hell, I'm surprised they aren't spelling it "Lawlence" at this point. Great examples from other series, by the way
Old 2009-09-10, 03:38   Link #164
sorrowsiren

This is a fine place to post this I guess...

I'll finish watching this for the cute chara's but, reality is totally out the window here...

If I was him...

I would have built up way to much resentment at this point, slapped the -s- out of her, yelled and screamed about what a -b- she's been.. Then the cops would have come, and arested me, for abusing the -c-...

And that would have been the end of the storyline...

I like this show, but this kind of BS is just way to unrealistic, these are nothing but otaku arch types at this point...

Sorry, she came out of a 500 year "sleep" for him. Right? She loves him unconditionaly, and then, she totally betrays him at the drop of a hat?

I'm sorry but this is the kind of woman that gets killed by her boyfriend in reality... I'm tired of this tsundere crap..

Last edited by monir; 2009-09-10 at 16:48. Reason: double posts merged... please use the "EDIT" button instead.
sorrowsiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 15:17   Link #165
FTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowsiren View Post
This is a fine place to post this I guess...

I'll finish watching this for the cute chara's but, reality is totally out the window here...
Sorry, she came out of a 500 year "sleep" for him. Right? She loves him unconditionaly, and then, she totally betrays him at the drop of a hat?
You refer to the third episode of the second season I guess. Well, the following text could help you to understand Horos behaviour:
Quote:
A lot of people (also in other forums) seem to be very surprised about Horos mental breakdown and some even say that this is totally out of character. But you have to consider the following:

- Her absolut major fear is to be alone and forgotten! Therefore she is nursing precisely that fear.

- After standing a long time to a contract with a village, she was betrayed by the villagers and had to leave the very place where people swear to worship and not forget her. Therefore she is clinging to the thought of returning to her old hometown in order to be reunited with her family and friends.

- She is not used to the human feelings, since she didnt took the shape of a human girl and havent had a lot of contact to others for several hundred years. Therefore she is sometimes overwhelmed by emotions (she tells this to Lawrence when she burst into tears after the sewer-scene in Season 1).

- Right before she receives the letter from Lawrence, he raises Horos hopes to find her hometown immense by telling her that he got more information about Yoitsus location and expects that the letter holds even more information.

- She is a female (they often tend to overreact). :P

Couple that with the fear that Lawrence, the only one she has opened up to in umpteen years, seem to try to get rid of her, and its pretty clear (at least for me) where her degenaration comes from. Having events turn out to match one's fears can not be very easy to handle, and Horo doesn't have any sort of release valve except her emotions.

And also Horos blabbing about being alone and wanting a child is quite understandable for me, since she knows that Lawrences lifetime is only a blink of an eye for her. So she will be alone again very soon.
What Horo really needs is a friend of her own kind!
Someone she can spend a "goddess lifetime" with. Thats why she wished for a child.
Apart from that: Keep Watching... and maybe you will be surprised! ^^
FTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 15:59   Link #166
Ansalem
Speaker

I like her "accent" I guess I would put it. I'm not sure if it reflects a specific dialect (of which there are far too many for my head) or if it's just to make her sound old and foreign. Calling herself わっち、ending in かや じゃの じゃろう etc. Sounded charming with her voice actress.
Ansalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 00:52   Link #167
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
I like her "accent" I guess I would put it. I'm not sure if it reflects a specific dialect (of which there are far too many for my head) or if it's just to make her sound old and foreign. Calling herself わっち、ending in かや じゃの じゃろう etc. Sounded charming with her voice actress.
We're told that her speech incorporates some elements of the Edo period courtesan speech ("oiran"). It was considered quite flirtatious/sexy. I've also heard that speech from other eras are also included -- perhaps to accentuate her passage of time through many eras.

I can follow that idea... I have speech and writing patterns that mix standards over the last 50 years and from all the people and places I've lived around - so someone who has lived 500+ years might have a very interesting mix of speech habits.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-11-13 at 09:58.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 02:15   Link #168
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Reading the posts from this thread, lots of people like Horo's character for lots of different reasons. That being said and as others have pointed out, Horo is a great example of a multi-dimensional character. Personally for me, Horo is very likeable because of her quick wit and independent history contrasting with her sometimes playful and childish behavior. Thanks to her multi-faceted character, it's refreshing to watch how she interacts with everyone. She is as unpredictable as they come. You can never really tell what's on her mind, etc. and it's nice to have that mystery/surprise so that you never get bored.
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 11:01   Link #169
Topspin

I like Horo's character because it's difficult to tell where the god ends and the woman begins. She's impatient, petty and insanely prideful. She is one of the more realistic embodiments of pride I've ever seen. A truly prideful woman, who cannot relent, is tough to make into a character that can be explored without it being too cliched and obnoxious (and at times it does ride that edge in the second season).

I appreciate that the novel's author is willing to take risks with her characterization. She's gone from sympathetic to just pathetic in the second season, and on reflection that takes a lot of guts to write (especially for a story like this that moves at a glacial pace).

Finally, it is a nice touch that Lawrence is the patient one. The most humorous aspect of this story is that it's the *guy* that's holding a sex-starved god-woman back. The icing on the cake is that fact that she's letting him do so, despite having ample opportunities to ditch him for instant gratification (this tale is prime doujin-bait).
Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 21:42   Link #170
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
I like Horo's character because it's difficult to tell where the god ends and the woman begins. She's impatient, petty and insanely prideful. She is one of the more realistic embodiments of pride I've ever seen. A truly prideful woman, who cannot relent, is tough to make into a character that can be explored without it being too cliched and obnoxious (and at times it does ride that edge in the second season).
these points are the reason why Horo is my one of my Favourite female characters i just cant wait to see/read how she develops in the future.
Old 2010-10-05, 10:27   Link #171
JThree

Two Sides of Holo:

Dear Guys:

I was thinking about this last night. That there are two sides of Holo's complex personality.

There's the side of her that's a six hundred year old deity. She has seen more than enough of human nature, its both good and bad sides. She's seen how stupid people can be, and also how clever they can be, when they have too. This spirt part of her is very wise in a way, she knows how things must end. This wolf side of her, also, knows the loneliness of living for six hundred years plus, and possibly never seeing her friends again, and it possibly this part the ancient part of her struggles with the most.

Then there's the part of her that is a fifteen year old girl. This is the part of her that blushes, when a stranger starts giving her compliments (even though she knows he's pulling an act). This is the part of her, that likes to indulge in food and beer, This is the part of her that likes to dress up and look in the mirror, and know she's beautiful and catch any boys eye. This part of her, probably enjoys giving Lawrence grief when she gives him a bad time, and is half that gets upset when other girls get our favorite peddler attention.

Any other comments on Holo's two sides. And which do you think is stronger? And in the end do you think Holo might need Lawrence just a tad more than Lawrence needing her?

JThree
JThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 11:20   Link #172
poleno

I see it differently.
She is much older then 6 six hundred year. Horo doesn’t have typical wishes any more. Money, time, haste, status are nothing. Horo doesn’t want to be alone, but she always wants to get a pleasure, plays. In addition, she wants to live a day-to-day existence. Without human’s adult complexes and wishes, I guess, we can see the character as it is. It’s a children grain.
So, if Lowrense is 1 thousand years old, he will lost his money hunt actions and, may be, will be remind himself in his childhood. I guess.
But Horo is a pride, wisdom, experience woman. Especially in the serious moment. So, there are no two sides in her for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThree View Post
And in the end do you think Holo might need Lawrence just a tad more than Lawrence needing her?
I prefer not to think about it

Last edited by poleno; 2010-10-05 at 11:25. Reason: bug
poleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-06, 23:13   Link #173
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Two Sides of Holo
There are way too many facets to her personality to boil things down to two sides I actually think that she plays up her childish side somewhat as a front to make it easier to excuse her darker aspects (and that Lawrence has known this all along).

Quote:
In the end do you think Holo might need Lawrence just a tad more than Lawrence needing her?
I think so. I think she carefully chose him, rather than jumping randomly into his cart. She clearly relies on him to satisfy her emotional needs more than he relies on her for the same (hell, she doesn't know how in most cases).

But then, it's clear that he isn't going to be letting go of her. Whether he "needs" her or not is irrelevant as of the end of the second season, because he clearly values her above his own needs.
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 13:07   Link #174
Dorsai

One of two female characters in anime/manga that i love the most (second is Asuka Langley Soryu). Few more like Eri Sawachika, Rhin Touhsaka, Seven (Mishima Nana), Alice (Pandora Hearts) are close to this two, but they still win ;p

I think its needless to answer why ;p

Quote:
Yeah, Horo is funny because she can act immature at times then suddenly know stuff that surprises us. Like business....
I really dont like when people in reviews, opinions complaing about this how Horo know anything about busness and is better then normal merchants etc... Because its show his own ignorance... First of all= Horo know nothing about business, business even not exist in this anime... She know only a lot about people because she observe us hundreds years... And economy, exchange etc look different in the middle ages then in our times... I studied economy and learn a lot about this how economy change through time and for me its nothing strange in this anime about her knowledge or behavior...

Last edited by Dorsai; 2010-10-21 at 13:19.
Dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 14:58   Link #175
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by poleno View Post
I see it differently.
She is much older then 6 six hundred year. Horo doesn’t have typical wishes any more. Money, time, haste, status are nothing.
If you're capable of supplying basic needs (food, shelter, etc) without a serious expenditure of resources (time, energy, etc), then you're going to have different priorities than someone who spends virtually their entire day at it.

Immortals, even those of long lives, have different priorities. Stop and think how you'd prioritize things if you knew you had a 300 year life span instead of an 80-100 year life span.
lightsenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 09:03   Link #176
Tri-ring

After finishing this enjoyable ride, I re-embrace my original feelings to this amazing multi-faceted character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
She is the charm of every man I guess.
She is dominating and yet, obedient.
She is wise and yet naive.
Playful and yet cunning.
She is bravado but not shy in showing her tears.
And most of all I guess most of you will not understand but the usage of Oiran kotoba gives her the ultimate feminine touch.
If I need to add something I would conclude with this at the end, " but everyone would agree that She is a passionate soul that everyone would hold her dear to the end."
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 21:43   Link #177
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
After finishing this enjoyable ride, I re-embrace my original feelings to this amazing multi-faceted character.

If I need to add something I would conclude with this at the end, " but everyone would agree that She is a passionate soul that everyone would hold her dear to the end."
Oh I totally agree with your assessment! She is THE ONLY character (novel or anime) with whom I have EVER fallen in love! She IS the perfect female!

Oh and her Oiran kotoba... it makes me melt. It's so, so sexy!
Old 2011-02-17, 17:26   Link #178
otaku_trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Oh I totally agree with your assessment! She is THE ONLY character (novel or anime) with whom I have EVER fallen in love! She IS the perfect female!

Oh and her Oiran kotoba... it makes me melt. It's so, so sexy!
I totally agree. I LOVE Horo! Thats it... I said it!
Old 2011-04-11, 11:50   Link #179
Progbuusters

I forget what scene it was but it may have happened a few times but when Holo/Horo is in bed and Lawrence is about to pat her head, he hesitates and does not pat her head. Then without him know it, she's really pretending to be asleep and she "snicker"s or says "Hmpf"? Which is it?
Progbuusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 15:44   Link #180
BashZeStampeedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progbuusters View Post
I forget what scene it was but it may have happened a few times but when Holo/Horo is in bed and Lawrence is about to pat her head, he hesitates and does not pat her head. Then without him know it, she's really pretending to be asleep and she "snicker"s or says "Hmpf"? Which is it?
Wasn't that episode 7 of the anime's second season? I remember him about to stroke her head, but catching himself at the last second when he realizes she must be awake. His expression has "oh, I won't fall for that one" written all over it, and her response is basically "damn, almost got him".
BashZeStampeedo is offline   Reply With Quote