AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-05-25, 16:02   Link #41
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
New (old) photos. Taken actually about 1-4 years ago. Found a old backup DVD with some nice old photos on it.

Kettle Hill
And yes it's in color... Just taken in November at 11pm.

This one has an interesting aura to it.

It took me a few seconds to spot the house in the background, btw.

It also made me remember the Silent Hill games.
Old 2008-05-25, 17:07   Link #42
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Very artistic-looking pictures; I like them quite a bit!

Question: do you have any experience with IR photography? I'd heard of it before and thought it was just a way to get quicker focus locks in the dark (by using an IR light), but apparently it's a whole type of photography in itself. By using an IR filter you can see some really interesting things... since you're a fan of monotone photography, I thought IR might be something you'd be into, as well. IR isn't quite monotone but it often comes close. When there are colors they seem a bit faded. It results in overall ethereal pictures.

I haven't checked the prices of IR filters because I'm afraid that they're going to be really pricey But if they're not too bad ($20 or less, I hope!) I'd definitely get one. Check out the "False Colors" section of this website for some examples of IR photography. The last one shows how colors come out, I think... perhaps he manipulated the image.
I did play around with IR-sensitive film and black filters when I was studying photography but my experience is really closer to zero. A bit more thermal photography though.... I think do need to look into IR photography. Amazing stuff on the site you linked. Though I think I'll be shooting on film. Don't have the courage to start removing IR blockers from my DSLR at least not before I get around buying a replacement for my old workhorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
This one has an interesting aura to it.

It took me a few seconds to spot the house in the background, btw.

It also made me remember the Silent Hill games.
The name of the photo is actually a quite direct translation of the name of the place so no intentional Silent Hill reference. There are quite interesting rumors about the place as well. It's supposedly an old asylum and haunted. Both are naturally complete and utter bullshit but provided a little extra spice for a nightly The Blair Witch Project-parody filming session for which I was shooting stills. Damn it was fun. Everybody was constantly trying to scare the shit out of everybody else. So we ended up shooting just about 10 minutes of film. Just enough for a joke trailer which really sucks ass big time. A friend of mine really saved it by adding some hilarious captions to it but otherwise it's pretty darn bad. Can't unfortunately post it. Some copyright etc. issues and I really didn't participate in making it that much (I was more of a disruptive element). But I'll see if I can find more stills...
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-25, 17:15   Link #43
Ledgem
Love Yourself

IR photography requires hacking your camera? Shoot, I guess that's out for me, unless I can find a really old, cheap E-series camera on Ebay... I hear there are quite a few. Oh well
Old 2008-05-25, 18:00   Link #44
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
IR photography requires hacking your camera? Shoot, I guess that's out for me, unless I can find a really old, cheap E-series camera on Ebay... I hear there are quite a few. Oh well
Most probably you'll need to remove the filter glass on the sensor. With my camera it means breaking the whole damn thing into pieces. However looking at some stuff I found taken with modified EOS 300D I do have to say I'm tempted. Not to mention it seems that the stock filter is not even very great quality-wise. Color reproduction seemed actually better with a lens mounted IR-block.

Damn... I'll blame you and your devilish links if (when) I destroy my camera.

I suggest you try to find sensitivity curves for your camera with the IR blocker. It might go just a bit to the IR range so you could take some photos with IR filter and insanely long exposure times. In my case unfortunately a no go.
Old 2008-05-26, 19:57   Link #45
escimo
Paparazzi

Two more images from Kettle Hill

An entrance of a local restaurant

Grand Prix

Heavy Machinery

A view from my balcony

Last edited by escimo; 2008-07-10 at 16:55.
Old 2008-05-30, 14:23   Link #46
escimo
Paparazzi

Work in progress for this month's SOTM...

A bit of a disclaimer stuff added...

All but SOTM signatures are free game so you can use them if you like. All photos are free to use in for example signatures etc. I may have larger and less retouched versions somewhere if someone needs them for wallies or whatever. Drop me a PM if you want to use my sigs or photos. Please don't redistribute though.

Old 2008-05-31, 13:10   Link #47
escimo
Paparazzi

I've been trying to pick up on my drawing...

Yup. I did use a reference even if it doesn't exactly show.
I'll leave the identity of the person in question open.
Cookie for the first one guessing right who the hell she's supposed to be.

Old 2008-05-31, 14:26   Link #48
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'll bet I can guess it within five tries if you tell us what the character's hair and eye colors are supposed to be
Old 2008-05-31, 14:32   Link #49
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
I'll bet I can guess it within five tries if you tell us what the character's hair and eye colors are supposed to be
Blue eyes and red hair.
Old 2008-05-31, 14:48   Link #50
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Kallen of course, but well.... Right.
Old 2008-05-31, 14:50   Link #51
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsilya~ View Post
Kallen of course, but well.... Right.
Correctomundo!

Throws cookies around and runs.
Old 2008-05-31, 15:23   Link #52
escimo
Paparazzi

Another drawing. This time original work. (And it kinda shows. )

Having a hard time with the hair...

edit:

A photo taken about a few minutes ago.

Not that much artistic value. More reintroducing myself to my Tamron FD 135mm F2.8 which apparently draws far better than I remembered even with the largest aperture size.
What is to be noted that the picture was taken roughly 12:03am. If there's one thing about Finland you just have to love it's the summers. (when it's not raining and that's not really that often)
20°C/68°F and the sun set a bit more than a hour ago and it still looks like that outside.
At midsummer the day length is about 19h even here in the southern Finland. In Lapland above the arctic circle sun doesn't set at all. Gotta love it. Though a few years back I visited northern Lapland in early June. It was north enough to experience the midnight sun even as the midsummer was three weeks away. As it was very light all the time it really screwed up my daily rhythm but it still gives you a strange buzz and a shitload of energy.

Of course there's a flipside to that coin. Winters suck big time. 5 hours of daylight at it's worst isn't exactly rewarding.

Last edited by escimo; 2008-07-10 at 16:56.
Old 2008-06-02, 14:24   Link #53
escimo
Paparazzi

Work in progress... Suffering from inspiration slump.

Last edited by escimo; 2008-07-10 at 16:56.
Old 2008-06-02, 14:32   Link #54
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
The way you draw eyes and faces isn't really convenient just so you know.
Old 2008-06-02, 16:14   Link #55
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

They aren't bad drawings at all, but they do seem a bit squarer and thicker than they should be. The facial features should be a little more rounded and the necks should be a little more narrow. I can tell you spent some time on the shading though.
Old 2008-06-02, 17:57   Link #56
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
They aren't bad drawings at all, but they do seem a bit squarer and thicker than they should be. The facial features should be a little more rounded and the necks should be a little more narrow. I can tell you spent some time on the shading though.
In the cyborg pic bulkiness and squareness was actually somewhat intentional the lack of ears and asymmetry of her hair was as well. The first original is just plain bad. But I think it's the third picture I've drawn in about ten years without a reference picture so... But looking at the scrapped sketches you're absolutely right about the proportions. I need to work on it.

A pic I've spent this night drawing. Went back to using a reference. Messed up all the proportions (again ) but if I just forget about the reference it actually doesn't utterly suck. It's supposed to be Hiromi from True Tears.

Old 2008-06-04, 10:53   Link #57
escimo
Paparazzi

June 2008 SOTM entry.

And those that didn't make the cut. So these are free to use. Drop me a PM first though.

Last edited by escimo; 2008-07-10 at 16:57.
Old 2008-06-04, 12:52   Link #58
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
June 2008 SOTM entry.

Magic Knight Rayearth keeps showing up!
Old 2008-06-04, 13:58   Link #59
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Magic Knight Rayearth keeps showing up!
Is that where's that from. I was blissfully ignorant of the render's origins.

Did some target practicing. I was too lazy to get the camera so I tried to draw my cat as he managed to actually be relatively still for about 30 seconds. Sho... Drawing a moving target proved somewhat difficult.

Edit: I think one bump a day will suffice so I'll just edit the pic in.

Last edited by escimo; 2008-07-10 at 16:58.
Old 2008-06-05, 12:08   Link #60
escimo
Paparazzi

Aria awesomeness...

Yeah I mean Aria is awesome, not so sure about the drawing though. It's Momiko!

Last edited by escimo; 2008-07-10 at 16:58.