AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-04-18, 13:03   Link #21
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

i don't think this is the right place to start a console war. Can we stop here mentioning the DS in a thread about PSP games? thanx

Quote:
The latter, if I understood chikorita157 correctly can be done anyway without homebrewing via remote play with a PS3?
It only works when the two consoles are connected via wifi. Which means you cannot play your psx games everywhere. This kinda defy the purpose of a portable console imho.

Anyway the true reason most get custom firmware is the fact that with that you can make work on your PSP basically any emulator that currently perfectly works on PC. I guess it is still illegal, but playing pirated PSP games is really the last reason, you can play those anyway by paying, but you can't play the rest even if you pay.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2009-04-18 at 13:31.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 14:42   Link #22
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
i don't think this is the right place to start a console war. Can we stop here mentioning the DS in a thread about PSP games? thanx

It only works when the two consoles are connected via wifi. Which means you cannot play your psx games everywhere. This kinda defy the purpose of a portable console imho.

Anyway the true reason most get custom firmware is the fact that with that you can make work on your PSP basically any emulator that currently perfectly works on PC. I guess it is still illegal, but playing pirated PSP games is really the last reason, you can play those anyway by paying, but you can't play the rest even if you pay.
I'm pretty Remote Play will still work as long as PSP have a internet connection (such as a Wifi hotspot and PSP have a browser to log in to wifi networks if needed.) and the PS3 is connected to the internet using Wifi or Ethernet. Using remote play is legal way to play PSX games on PSP, as long you have the game.

PSP is a good console for gaming, but for media... not so much.
Old 2009-04-18, 15:15   Link #23
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

How do you change CD via internet?

Old 2009-04-18, 16:07   Link #24
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
How do you change CD via internet?
Thats a limitation of the PS3... you can't change the PSX game disk, especially with games that have more than one disk like Final Fantasy VII... but I think you can still play PSX games that have been purchased from Playstation Network on Remote Play without changing the disk of course and I'm pretty sure they can be used on the PSP directly without any hacking.
Old 2009-04-18, 17:44   Link #25
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Waste of money, Buy a DSi instead.
What Jan-Poo said. And I already have a DS. Don't wanna spend another 170 bucks on a handheld with only a few new perks.

Quote:
Yeah I figured, but I don't do a whole ton of traveling anyway.

Quote:
Sorry I got lost in that somewhere >.>, what do you mean by "the rest"?
Old 2009-04-18, 18:16   Link #26
MatriXX
Sho' nuff

All PSP games are region-free, no matter what model of PSP you get.

Highly suggest an older PSP 2000 model so you can install custom firmware on it.
If you get confused on how to install it, just buy a pandora battery and magic memory stick from Pandora Sales, it's the easiest way. Also useful in case your PSP ever bricks (but that shouldn't happen as long as you don't try to flash it or do something crazy with it).

PSP is THE portable to get if you like visual novels. Many older visual novels are getting ported (some with NEW content) onto it now, such as Ever 17, Kanon, ect.

And if you like music games, I highly suggest getting DJ Max Portable. There are 5 games in all, but I'd suggest DJ Max Fever or Clazziquai for a first-time player. Currently, DJ Max Black Square has kept me very entertained for months. I haven't touched my DS in a long time because of that game, lol.
MatriXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 20:17   Link #27
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Uhm any game that worked on:

NES
Master System
SNES
MD/Genesis (including Mega CD)
PC Engine
Game Boy (including color and advance)
Game Gear
Neo Geo (including pocket)
N64 (however in this case the emulation ins't perfect)

Then there are also working mame emulators (that allow to play many arcade games)
and a ScummVM version for PSP (that allow to play old school adventures for PC like monkey island, and such)

You can also install DOS on your PSP, and i heard someone managed to install even win95.

There are then different ports of old PC games like "Doom" and "Doom II"

Actually there is a portable console that was designed to do all of this:

it's the GPX2 -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

I was going to buy that until i discovered that with a custom firmware i could do the same on a PSP ^^; and with the PSP i also have access to wonderful PSP games like Loco Roco and Patapon.

Oh and i strongly suggest "crisis core" expecially considering you loved FF7.

Old 2009-04-18, 20:17   Link #28
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
He meant games that you can play on PSP through emulation. For example, I currently have EF First Tale on PSP that I recently started playing.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 20:25   Link #29
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wow even recent VN such as EF work? I didn't know that °°;

Old 2009-04-18, 21:45   Link #30
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Ah, I see.

And yeah, I'm so getting Clannad, and Kanon for PSP if I can still find it. (it's a bit of an old game now; Yukari Tamura, yespleasehtankyouverymuch)

Although how much would I be missing if I didn't get homebrew, i.e. got a 3k model, because I can't find any of the 2ks anywhere. (all the stores i my area already updated their stocks) I'm not really big on emulation, so I wouldn't mind not being able to play games from the older generation systems, and I still have my old old model (thick model) PS2, which plays all my old PS1 games, so that's not an issue either.

Now another question, to a problem I faced on my DS that I just remembered:

Screen protectors. Should I bother with these? 'Cause I did with my DS and......they were a major pain in the @$$ to get on my DS's screens without all kinds of tiny little pieces of dust getting in there and causing bubbles and stuff in the protectors. (and I still haven't managed to get them on without stuff in there)
Old 2009-04-18, 21:53   Link #31
jedinat

Quote:
Screen protectors. Should I bother with these? 'Cause I did with my DS and......they were a major pain the @$$ to get on my DS's screens without all kinds of tiny little pieces of dust getting in there and causing bubbles and stuff in the protectors. (and I still haven't managed to get them on without stuff in there)
I picked up a PlayGear Pocket Slim and decided to forgo a screen protector. I've been happy with it and haven't had any scratches. I figured I got the PSP for its sexy screen and thought a screen protector would sort of ruin the experience. I never take it out of the case and it's comfortable in the hand. I also have to worry less about finger prints and such (I have the shiny black PSP 3000).
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-18, 22:11   Link #32
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I wouldn't go with screen protectors either. Mind that the real screen surface is behind the PSP front cover. So even in the worst scenario you can change the front cover, while the real screen should be still unscated. I however suggest you buy something to place your PSP inside when you don't use it.

Old 2009-04-18, 23:16   Link #33
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
And yeah, I'm so getting Clannad, and Kanon for PSP if I can still find it. (it's a bit of an old game now; Yukari Tamura, yespleasehtankyouverymuch)
Kanon - HMV / PA
CLANNAD - HMV / PA

Go with HMV if you have a credit/debit card. It's cheaper with them.
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 01:10   Link #34
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
The psp is good for watching fansubs and reading manga on the go...
Yeah I remember watching an episode of Bleach with another person with a PSP while waiting in line to buy tickets for an anime convention, lol. Does that need PSP homebrew, or can you just use the 3k model's inherent PC access capability to put episodes and manga jpg images on a PSP memory stick?
Old 2009-04-19, 01:48   Link #35
jedinat

Quote:
Yeah I remember watching an episode of Bleach with another person with a PSP while waiting in line to buy tickets for an anime convention, lol. Does that need PSP homebrew, or can you just use the 3k model's inherent PC access capability to put episodes and manga jpg images on a PSP memory stick?
...no you don't need homebrew to watch anime or read manga. As for manga, I linked a program in my first post in this thread that will mass convert your manga to fit the PSP screen (fit-to-width, so you only need to scroll up and down). There are programs to easily format video (anime) for the PSP... or you can just download PSP-ready anime. I know there are a few groups that release them that way.
Old 2009-04-19, 02:20   Link #36
meh

Woah. Some people even read manga on the PSP? It would seem impossible to read the text given the screen size. I do personally like to read books on my PSP while commuting though. And watching movies on it is always nice.

Quote:
Screen protectors. Should I bother with these? 'Cause I did with my DS and......they were a major pain in the @$$ to get on my DS's screens without all kinds of tiny little pieces of dust getting in there and causing bubbles and stuff in the protectors. (and I still haven't managed to get them on without stuff in there)
I've had my PSP for 3 years. Never bothered with a screen protector. While I can't say it's scratch-free, there's no mark which would be noticeable once you turn on the system. Certainly not the kind of damage that would warrant the type of annoyance you face with your DS.

As long as you're not anal about the screen being perfectly smooth, or if you take care of your PSP, no need for the screen protector.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 05:39   Link #37
TubZzz
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to TubZzz
the PSP is already a great piece of technology without the homebrew... what homebrew does is it kind of unlocks the potential of the machine

either way homebrew or no homebrew, your gaming experience will still be enjoyable

btw... don't bother with a screen protector... just buy a nice pouch or something to protect it as you carry it
TubZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 17:02   Link #38
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Hmmm, so homebrew or not (probably going to end up with not anyway), how would I go about playing movie files (anime) or reading pic files (manga) from my PC on my PSP? Due to the screen size, I'd assume you can't just watch a plain 704x400 picture-size anime episode, or an 834x1200 size manga page pic straight off your PC, or can you?
Old 2009-04-19, 17:10   Link #39
jedinat

Quote:
Hmmm, so homebrew or not (probably going to end up with not anyway), how would I go about playing movie files (anime) or reading pic files (manga) from my PC on my PSP? Due to the screen size, I'd assume you can't just watch a plain 704x400 picture-size anime episode, or an 834x1200 size manga page pic straight off your PC, or can you?
You don't watch/read them from your PC. You view them from the memory card in your PSP. You realize you need a memory stick to do anything on your PSP, right? You can't even save a game without one. They're fairly cheap these days though. I would probably pick up one of these if I were you: ScanDisk 8GB Pro Duo
If you have a PS3 you already have a data cable to transfer stuff to your PSP (the sixaxis recharge cable). If not, well, I'm not sure how compatible the pro duo cards are with standard SD slots and whatnot. I've never tried Sony's Media Manager. Maybe you can transfer data wirelessly.

As to the sizing... I think I already mentioned what program to use for manga twice in this thread. For video, as I said there's a bit of already-formatted anime/whatever online. Otherwise, use a program like PSP Video Converter.

Last edited by jedinat; 2009-04-19 at 17:21.
Old 2009-04-19, 17:14   Link #40
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
You don't watch/read them from your PC. You view them from the memory card in your PSP. You realize you need a memory stick to do anything on your PSP, right? You can't even save a game without one. They're fairly cheap these days though. I would probably pick up one of these if I were you: ScanDisk 8GB Pro Duo
Yeah I know you have to move them from your PC to your PSP. And I know about needing the memory stick for that, too. (the PSP's onboard memory is only something like 64 MB after all) I didn't know you needed one to make a game save though. That seems kind of stupid, especially since you don't even get a small one in the core system. With the Wii and PS3, memory sticks/SD cards are only optional....