AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-05, 09:17   Link #1041
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Huh. I was under the impression that Cold Touka's ability is more attuned to the "flow of the tiles", as opposed to her usual digital play style.
We... don't really know, actually. I mean, Touka suddenly wakes up, and is TOLD by Hajime and Tomoki that she won four consecutive times against Fujita, Saki, and Koromo, at which she gets angry because the play record Tomoki shows doesn't match her usual online playing style. That's about it.

I do recall that Hisa was talking about those type of players (who read the flow), but the silhouette that was shown wasn't Touka's -- instead it we're shown Jun and Rinkai's Elly Virsaladze (the cat hat was pretty distinctive).
Old 2012-06-05, 10:15   Link #1042
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I finally got around to watching Episode 8. Below are my thoughts on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Hmm..... I'm not too convinced with how the anime team decided to portray Achiga. In the manga the matcfhes weren't really shown, but here they would have appeared to be just pushovers when they are nothing of the sort. Aw well.
Yeah, I also found that a bit questionable.

I get why they did it this way, though. It accomplishes two things:

1) For fans of the original Saki anime, seeing some of the mahjong stars of the original Saki portrayed as "Cool Monsters" is probably pleasing.

2) It really reinforces Achiga as the Plucky Underdogs.

So having Stealth Momo et al dominate was probably a smart idea, but they also probably went a bit too far with it. Achiga didn't come off to me as simply underdogs; they came off to me as out of their league. As pushovers, frankly.

I think it would have been better if somebody from Achiga had been shown winning a hand at least.

That one issue aside, though, I really enjoyed this episode. The BGM was awesome as usual, and the show is consistently fun and engaging.

Wahaha's big, giant van was also oddly amusing to me, as was Wahaha herself. This was a good episode for her.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:53   Link #1043
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
^ I can live with that, especially since Yumi IS one of the cooler characters in the series.

Huh. I was under the impression that Cold Touka's ability is more attuned to the "flow of the tiles", as opposed to her usual digital play style.
The way she's drawn out really seems to suggest that as well. I also think there was a line about being "totally controlling the flow," or something, as there was also a line from Saki (I think) saying something like ,"I couldn't complete a single kan." (Volume 7 page 172?)
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 11:35   Link #1044
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
We... don't really know, actually. I mean, Touka suddenly wakes up, and is TOLD by Hajime and Tomoki that she won four consecutive times against Fujita, Saki, and Koromo, at which she gets angry because the play record Tomoki shows doesn't match her usual online playing style. That's about it.

I do recall that Hisa was talking about those type of players (who read the flow), but the silhouette that was shown wasn't Touka's -- instead it we're shown Jun and Rinkai's Elly Virsaladze (the cat hat was pretty distinctive).
Well, since Touka's regular play style is digital (patterned after Nodoka), I assumed that she wasn't playing as efficiently as she usually does in her regular state, which I took to mean that she made a number of illogical and unusual moves in her cold state that she wouldn't ever consider otherwise. As such, I assumed that she had some form of intuition that guided her actions.

I interpreted the concept of "flow" as a form of intuition that gives that gives off a feeling of the kinds of hands the opponents are making, as well the the tiles they're looking for. If you interpret it in that sense, most occult players (e.g. Saki and Koromo) who can read hands to different extents should be capable of using the "flow".
Old 2012-06-05, 11:48   Link #1045
Marina2

*At the end of ep*

ํYes, Kirame! That's the correct way to fight with monsters. You don't fight the with skill but with motivation!

Hell, she doesn't even feel nervous even though she was beaten by Teru before.

If Saki has this trait of Kirame, she'll be unbeatable!
Old 2012-06-05, 12:54   Link #1046
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
One of the things I must admit I would have liked to see would have been Kajiki and Kana analyzing and talking about their xp playing against Koromo and Saki in the final regional match to the Achiga girls, but oh well. Nice ep otherwise.
Old 2012-06-05, 20:42   Link #1047
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post

When Koromo and Jun later talk about the match in the bath though, doesn't Koromo describe Cold Touka's playstyle as 'flow control' or something?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 21:03   Link #1048
Mow Yun

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
When Koromo and Jun later talk about the match in the bath though, doesn't Koromo describe Cold Touka's playstyle as 'flow control' or something?
The panel with Cold Touka in the bath uses the kanji "治水" which online dictionaries seem to translate as "Flow Control," yes. Page 169 of volume 7. From my rudimentary knowledge of Japanese, the panel before it has Koromo saying that her's (Cold Touka) is "on a completely different level than Koromo's or Jun's flow control." In other words, Koromo says its even more hax than her iishanten (?) hell. I'm only giving it a cursory pass though, perhaps someone else with better knowledge can correct me.
Old 2012-06-05, 21:23   Link #1049
night_sentinel

Regarding Cold Touka, all I know of her "cold mode" playstyle is its different from her preferred digital play which is why she doesn't acknowledge it exists. It most likely belong to magic power hax. Though, the most likely guess is flow control as you guys have said.

Anyway while I was surfing I came across this picture.

Guess which Miyanaga is in the picture?

Spoiler for for size:

Spoiler for Answer:
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-05, 21:28   Link #1050
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Physically, Teru strikes me as a taller, and perhaps slightly larger (more muscular perhaps) version of Saki, only with red hair. Otherwise, they're pretty much identical, physically.

Incidentally, this is why whenever I see Saki artwork with Saki having red hair, it's a bit bothersome to me, because it makes it too easy to confuse Saki with Teru.
Old 2012-06-05, 23:48   Link #1051
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Regarding Cold Touka, all I know of her "cold mode" playstyle is its different from her preferred digital play which is why she doesn't acknowledge it exists. It most likely belong to magic power hax. Though, the most likely guess is flow control as you guys have said.

Anyway while I was surfing I came across this picture.

Guess which Miyanaga is in the picture?

Spoiler for for size:

Spoiler for Answer:
1st spoiler: Even without looking at the answer, can tell it is Teru already. The lighting makes the red hair more easier to see.

And of course, who knew they are so identical... Man I can't wait for the train to start moving at 100km/s and keep going on till 1000km/s... Now it is so slow...
Old 2012-06-06, 01:10   Link #1052
Mow Yun

The eyes are smaller and the face is longer, because Teru is older. That's generally the differentiator I use if I can't see the clothing.
Old 2012-06-06, 05:15   Link #1053
teja208
Critical fanboy

I wonder what will Saki look like in her 20's.

Thinking back, one thing I find unusal about top class monsters is that all of them are either 1st or 3rd year students i.e. 2nd year students are relatively weak this year. It's unfortunate to think they will be leading team for next year Mahjong Tourney.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 05:20   Link #1054
kona~chan
ヘタレ

Spoiler for arakawa kei:

that 1 pin, wait isn't this rising sun!???

Last edited by kona~chan; 2012-06-06 at 05:52.
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 07:49   Link #1055
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona~chan View Post
Spoiler for arakawa kei:

Rising sun? You mean from the show "The Legend Of Koizumi"? Or is it not? (I forgot.)
Old 2012-06-06, 07:55   Link #1056
Peanutbutter

Just for lulz: (Not by me though)

Spoiler for Ep 8 amended image:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 07:58   Link #1057
kona~chan
ヘタレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
Rising sun? You mean from the show "The Legend Of Koizumi"? Or is it not? (I forgot.)
yes that one. considering owada hideki write about RITZ before not really surprised if we see any Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku references

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post

now i really want to play that to aru mahjong again
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 08:09   Link #1058
Marina2

Actually, 1 pin is the most focused tile in Saki.

Any opponents who draw up 1 pin in the final round are doomed to lose.

If you know what I mean. ^^
Old 2012-06-06, 09:10   Link #1059
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post

Level 5(Mixed with level 0) people from To aru has invaded Saki! Someone help!!

Quote:
yes that one. considering owada hideki write about RITZ before not really surprised if we see any Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku references

now i really want to play that to aru mahjong again
Hmm... Sounds interesting that anime. Guess if have time I will pick it up.

You win, get Biribiri'd. Simple as that.(If you get what I am saying. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Actually, 1 pin is the most focused tile in Saki.

Any opponents who draw up 1 pin in the final round are doomed to lose.

If you know what I mean. ^^
But it is a terminal tile... What can it do other than non-tanyao hand?
Old 2012-06-06, 11:10   Link #1060
Mow Yun

Quote:
Spoiler for arakawa kei:

Now that you mention it, here it is again!
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri