AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-12-26, 13:28   Link #2801
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

I always disliked the little "bout" before Goku fought, the flaming ignorance of Satan and his lackeys make my head hurt. You would think they would be knowledgeable of past champions, it's not like Goku's name was said in secret. It's more sad that only the world leader and the announcer guy from the tournaments are the only people who aren't in the "Z Warriors" who actually know better. It's kinda sad really, the regular human fighters actually downgraded since Dragonball. Pretty sure Roshi and Chi-Chi (though Chi-Chi would probably be more of a equal matchup against Satan than Roshi would be, energy throwing and all...) could slap Satan and crew around.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 20:37   Link #2802
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Ep 87 went on too long with the Satan stuff for my taste.

Half an episode would be enough, but it comprised the entire length in the end.

Feel free to omit it.
But Satan's a badass and one of the best things to come out of this arc.

More of him can't be a bad thing, man.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 21:47   Link #2803
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
But Satan's a badass and one of the best things to come out of this arc.

More of him can't be a bad thing, man.
I can't stand him in the manga, and I doubt I'll be able to tolerate him here as well. Not to mention he's one of only two characters in the whole DB universe not to taste death, it still irks me to this day.

His saving grace was only at the end of the whole series:

Spoiler for just in case:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 04:47   Link #2804
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah Satan is incredibly annoying in the Cell Games. I can see the humor in it all, though it doesn't help that it's basically forced right at the start of the arc.

He's comedy gold in the Buu arc though. Especially his first few episodes, when he interacts with Fat Buu.
Old 2010-12-27, 06:22   Link #2805
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
He's comedy gold in the Buu arc though. Especially his first few episodes, when he interacts with Fat Buu.
I forgot another of Satan's good moment:

Spoiler:
Old 2010-12-27, 07:29   Link #2806
Blaat

Normally Satan in Cell saga doesn't work for me, he fits much better in the Buu saga. Having said that I did had to laugh in the latest episode when Cell thought 'he's a real idiot'.
Old 2010-12-27, 10:48   Link #2807
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
His saving grace was only at the end of the whole series:
Don't forget that in this arc...
Spoiler for Mr. Satan's first Crowning Moment of Awesome:

I really think it's those scenes with his filler cronies that make him irritating, but by himself Mr. Satan is pretty funny.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 10:57   Link #2808
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
Don't forget that in this arc...
Spoiler for Mr. Satan's first Crowning Moment of Awesome:

I really think it's those scenes with his filler cronies that make him irritating, but by himself Mr. Satan is pretty funny.
Spoiler:
Old 2010-12-27, 11:58   Link #2809
Vicious108

Quote:
Yeah Satan is incredibly annoying in the Cell Games.
He's supposed to be annoying here, that's what makes his part in the Buu arc so awesome. You get to see someone whom you previously thought was but a hopeless charlatan reveal the actual good nature that resides within him and act like a true hero. He was the only character in the series to defeat Majin Buu, and he did it through love rather than violence. And if that wasn't enough, he used the fame which his claiming false credit on Cell's defeat brought him to truly save the world at the end. He more than deserves being the only human to have never died in the entire series.

And yes, I know you know all that, as always.

So even if he can come off as annoying in this arc, it just makes him all the more awesome in the next one. And honestly even in this arc, I don't have a problem with him. I think he's a great throwback to the more comedic fighting moments in the old Dragonball instead of the super serious 'DBZ' style. Like Shiosai said, it's his filler cronies that tend to be truly annoying, not Satan himself, who is indeed pretty funny more often than not.
Old 2010-12-27, 13:34   Link #2810
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Come crunch time, Mr Satan is actually the bravest Z-Warrior in the entire franchise, because he is willing to do good knowing full-well that he is a weakling, but still tries his best because its the right thing to do. Heck, he even earns Demon King Piccolo's respect in the Buu saga!!
Old 2010-12-27, 13:59   Link #2811
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Come crunch time, Mr Satan is actually the bravest Z-Warrior in the entire franchise, because he is willing to do good knowing full-well that he is a weakling, but still tries his best because its the right thing to do. Heck, he even earns Demon King Piccolo's respect in the Buu saga!!
Indeed. My own respect for Piccolo went up even more after he proved himself wise enough to acknowledge Mr. Satan's virtue!
Old 2010-12-27, 15:29   Link #2812
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I think Satan is a good comic relief character - he's only annoying right now because we have to wait another week for the action -_-.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-27, 18:12   Link #2813
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
He's supposed to be annoying here
Like i said and then you said, i already know that . There's no need to carry on such a conversation anymore. It's just my personal opinion after all.
Old 2010-12-27, 18:23   Link #2814
Vicious108

Quote:
Like i said and then you said, i already know that . There's no need to carry on such a conversation anymore. It's just my personal opinion after all.
What I meant by that was that even though I was quoting you, it doesn't mean the post was directed at you alone. This happens often, cause I guess it just so happens that your posts provide me with a good cue to rant about certain aspects of the series. I was sharing my thoughts on Mr. Satan due to the general discussion on him that sparkled, not trying to convince you specifically of anything, especially since as I stated I'm already aware that you know your stuff.

So basically what I'm saying is consider yourself warned that even though I may sometimes appear to be arguing against your posts, I'm just using them as a cue to share my own thoughts on the matter.
Old 2010-12-27, 21:00   Link #2815
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

I really really miss Gouri Daisuke's performance of Mr Satan already.

Mr Gouri's performance was brought a boisterous, energetic, and lovably stupid braggart and showoff to life. And NOBODY can replicate that unforgettable "RRRROOOAAAARRR" of his.

This new Mr Satan just sounded like a bored idiot who is reading his lines with the enthusiams of a limp noodle, and "roars" with the energy of a kitten with insomnia.

Rest in Peace, Mr Gouri. You are sorely missed.
Old 2010-12-28, 00:17   Link #2816
Blackbeard D. Kuma

By the current pace, the Cell Saga should end in 9 episodes.
Old 2010-12-28, 02:11   Link #2817
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
I really really miss Gouri Daisuke's performance of Mr Satan already.

Mr Gouri's performance was brought a boisterous, energetic, and lovably stupid braggart and showoff to life. And NOBODY can replicate that unforgettable "RRRROOOAAAARRR" of his.

This new Mr Satan just sounded like a bored idiot who is reading his lines with the enthusiams of a limp noodle, and "roars" with the energy of a kitten with insomnia.

Rest in Peace, Mr Gouri. You are sorely missed.
Just because he isn't the same as Gouri, doesn't mean he's bad. In fact, he's quite reminiscent of the English voice for Mr. Satan (similar to how the new Nappa sounds similar to the English Nappa). To be honest, this Mr. Satan sounds more serious than Gouri's did. Even though he's supposed to be a comic relief character, that's just to the viewpoint of those not "in the know". To him and his fans, he's completely serious about what he does until at least the next Tenkaichi Budokai.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-28, 04:52   Link #2818
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Just because he isn't the same as Gouri, doesn't mean he's bad. In fact, he's quite reminiscent of the English voice for Mr. Satan (similar to how the new Nappa sounds similar to the English Nappa). To be honest, this Mr. Satan sounds more serious than Gouri's did. Even though he's supposed to be a comic relief character, that's just to the viewpoint of those not "in the know". To him and his fans, he's completely serious about what he does until at least the next Tenkaichi Budokai.
Tetsu Inada (Kai Nappa) and Phil Parsons (Funimation Nappa) sound completely different. Other than that, I share your sentiments on the Mr. Satan matter.
Old 2010-12-28, 05:14   Link #2819
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

That preview for next weeks episode has me so hyped. Easily my favorite powering up scene. Can't wait to see which piece of music they'll use for it.
Old 2011-01-01, 20:38   Link #2820
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Just a heads up there is no DBKai this week. So it looks like Cell Saga will end sometime in March as predicted.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote