AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 12 [FINALE] Rating
Perfect 10 80 41.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 26.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 22 11.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.51%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.05%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.54%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.51%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-19, 02:02   Link #61
chickdigger802

wish they could get a good live animation wise, i guess needa wait for another haruhi. After seeing the op during eps1, I had my hopes up the whole show, but they always 'cheapen' out during concerts (cuts to faces, weird mv). Hopefully the crazy otaku sales would allow funding for a season2 (and bigger budget?). And ya, full metal panic 3 next please
Old 2009-06-19, 02:39   Link #62
slayer545-sama
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Well, to all those that want to commit suicide:

It's too bad you won't be able to see Season 2 in heaven
Yeah too bad! Patience is so not with all.
Old 2009-06-19, 02:56   Link #63
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdigger802 View Post
wish they could get a good live animation wise, i guess needa wait for another haruhi. After seeing the op during eps1, I had my hopes up the whole show, but they always 'cheapen' out during concerts (cuts to faces, weird mv). Hopefully the crazy otaku sales would allow funding for a season2 (and bigger budget?). And ya, full metal panic 3 next please
Often they'll clean animation up for the DVDs or just redo it completely. I'd be surprised if there were a second season but I'd also be surprised if there weren't a series of OVAs.
Old 2009-06-19, 03:00   Link #64
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I feel... largely dissapointed... somewhat sad and.... strangely violated.

Not a good way to end anything, faux fellatio and all.

6/10.

Still... Yui Hirasawa still reserves the title of Goddess of Rock in a somewhat dissaponting show nearing the end...
Old 2009-06-19, 03:28   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
All right so dig it, here's the deal. First the good, the parts with Yui and her quirky behaviour were honestly quite funny in a weird sort of way, especially those with "Mugi" at the beginning. The animation was also back to the level of the first episode, which to me comes as no surprise as this is the finale and they at least want to make it look presentable.

Now the not so good. Honestly it seemed like they were trying with the concert parts to make it all seem like it meant something...trying so hard, but here's the deal, it just rang hollow to me and nothing felt like it mattered when I reflected on the rest of the series as I saw it and ignored the shows limp-wristed attempt to lead me into feeling that it was all somehow a huge character growth story for Yui and friends and that it all warranted the 5 minute plus flashback/recollection from Yui that it was given. To that idea I say nay nay.

Firstly, let me be frank(er), none of the characters I can say really changed or evolved over the course of the show, they just took on their initial moe traits and followed them through right to the end. Secondly, the idea of the K-On group as a close and a that the characters share a strong bond that was built over time just never came through either. Sure now they want it to seem that way, but honestly there was no real progressive growth that I could see and the relationships just aren't there. If they were going to go for this kind of finale then they should have planned for it in the earlier episodes by working to make the bond feel real rather than just a sequence of barely connected gags and one liners. Whatever happened to Ritsu and Mio being childhood friends, why did that hardly come up after it was introduced. What about Mugi, talk about just being there as a pair of eyebrows. Azusa also just came in way to late to make a real impact and really just came across as a walking source of melodrama in the end, always finding something small to make into a "crisis", that would then be resolved in less then a paragraphs worth of dialogue. If they were going to do drama and have Azusa be that driving force for it I really wish they would have put some effort into making it feel like it mattered. Honestly the only relationship that felt real to me was that of Yui and Ui, and even then thanks only to all of those flashbacks of kids. What does it add to the overall K-On club story and the idea that they share a strong bond built over time though? Nothing. The idea of aiming for Budokan.....can't say I've been reason to care as these characters are just to shallow for me to root for in any meaningful way as a viewer. I feel no deep attachment to these characters, let alone any.

And at the end of the day that's the overall biggest problem I can say this series had. It all felt so hollow, perhaps as a result of commercialization of the characters and the clear emphasis that was put on their moe appeal above all else, perhaps because it was based off of 4Koma, or perhaps just because I was looking for more than it could be bothered to give I don't know (even as I constantly readjusted my expectations they could never go low enough, and judging by this endings attempted reflective nature they actually were apparently trying to aim high, which is throwing me for a loop even as I write this), but it just never felt like it all mattered. It seems like an Oxymoron, but the end of this series felt like it came way too soon and like it was all compressed in a way that makes it unsatisfactory on a number of fronts (never mind the inconsistent comedy and repetitive character gags that dominated the shows middle portion), but it also felt like the ending couldn't come soon enough.

The show was clearly out of steam and had painted itself into a bit of a corner with it's honest to god lazy (I'm not supposed to say it according to the ending, but it's the only word I can come up with) nature. The ending scenario was also a been there done that affair for this kind of show even still and won't be memorable either. The key here is that they needed to have shown and not told this reflective backstory, because it might as well just come across as another one of Yui's silly fantasy's that is all in her head.

Like Master Chibi said, I'll probably have forgotten about this show in a couple of weeks and when the discussion dies down. It just won't have mattered to me......
Old 2009-06-19, 03:29   Link #66
Kana Futayo
is not amused
*Graphic Designer

I was expecting a different kind of fail (regarding the concert on the manga).
But this is ridiculous. D:

I'll still give episode 13 a chance
Old 2009-06-19, 04:02   Link #67
mpt37

Just finished watching it and although they could have done some things better I thought it was a fitting end. It's always tough to have a good final episode when the series is based on an ongoing manga or light novel. You have to pick a good spot to end it or have an anime original end, neither of which ever seem to offer enough closure.

Reading everyone's posts it seems that people are upset about the lack of an amazingly animated concert scene. While I agree that the animation of Mio/Yui's monkey-faced singing was very disturbing I can't help but think everyone's expectations (mine as well) for the concert scene were a bit high because of a certain anime.

I'm referring of course to "Live Alive" from Haruhi. When I first read Kyoani was doing an anime about a band I immediately thought of how great a job they did on that concert scene and expected them to do the same for K-ON. However, after watching a few episodes I slowly came to the realization that it probably wasn't going to happen.

Obviously there's no way to block out the memory of what Kyoani is capable of when it comes to animation quality but I'll cut them some slack since this anime wasn't really a big name title for them. Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm purely guessing here, but I don't think the K-On manga was/is as popular before the anime started so it would make sense that they wouldn't poor all their resources into it like Haruhi or a Key VN based anime. I'm not trying make excuses for why this anime wasn't better I'm just stating what's on my mind after reading some of the posts.

In the end I was up til midnight every Thursday waiting for the subs to release. I found this anime very enjoyable and that's really my only criteria when judging an anime.
Old 2009-06-19, 04:07   Link #68
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I for one will probably not even bother watching episode 13 after this, due in part to some small sense of shame for rabidly selling this show to some friends before it even started.

That and it doesn't seem to have anything music related to it.

I'll probably end up compiling it in the end and just rewatch someday the episodes that were awesome and assume they were like singular OVA's or something. At least Yui pulled off a decent final performance with the band, even if it wasn't Don't Say Lazy.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2009-06-19 at 04:57.
Old 2009-06-19, 05:08   Link #69
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
Spoiler for RELIVE YOUR NIGHTMARES:
I was like WTF when I saw those scenes in the Anime lol... seriously I don't see why KyoAni would let that pass... or was that intentional?

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

Old 2009-06-19, 05:10   Link #70
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeTheme View Post
I was like WTF when I saw those scenes in the Anime lol... seriously I don't see why KyoAni would let that pass... or was that intentional?
Why would it be intentional?

It's just the sign of bad animation. That's all.
Old 2009-06-19, 05:38   Link #71
snarf2691

at first i was surprised that they didn't play "my love is a stapler" after the somewhat mediocre "ballpoint pen/calligraphy pen" but then i realized during "fuwa fuwa time" that they did this so that they can sell it again as the yui version. *sigh* maybe they did an anime adaptation too early into the manga series. they pretty much only worked off of two chapters per episode with this pacing which i feel made the series feel nonlinear and "hollow" since it seemed like a manga. if they do decide to do a 2nd season hopefully there will either be enough manga material or they create a storyline that works better.
Old 2009-06-19, 06:13   Link #72
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be honest I haven't actually liked this anime alot. All of the epsiodes have been pretty average for me but I think they did this one perfectly. For some like Kaioshin sama, they would feel that this episode is a little hollow because the characters didn't develop so much in the previous episodes. But that's really the fault of previous episodes rather than this episode imo. If they have made more episodes and better episodes then this episode would've been much better imo. That's the really the only way I could see this episode improving.

For me; 10/10.
Old 2009-06-19, 06:20   Link #73
chickdigger802

its a shame that the faces for the season 'finale' were soo bad, thats what kyoani specializes in imo ( less detailed characters, but superb body animations..)
Old 2009-06-19, 06:31   Link #74
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
maybe their BUDGET for K-on! was running LOW already, hence the sloppy animation quality!?

who knows?, a K-on! season 2 might look like a Crayon Shin-chan quality!?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-06-19, 06:58   Link #75
Lighting

Good episode.

The animation was great, good lip-sync, more real faces.
The people speaking about budget... well this episode had 17 key animators, a record for kyoani (usually number is 6-10).
Kyoani don't use freelance animators so the budget usually don't change a lot.

The "haruhi live" used a different animation technique called rotoscoping, and is more easy to do a "great" animation (see rosario to vampire second series opening). The animators don't like it and call it "cheating".
Old 2009-06-19, 07:18   Link #76
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Episode 12 article is up:

[RIUVA] K-ON!, Episode 12

It may not have been all that great in the end, but you know what? I'll still happily take my Fuwa Fuwa Time as it comes, even to the end. 7/10.
Old 2009-06-19, 07:50   Link #77
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragun h.e.x. View Post
maybe their budget for k-on! Was running low already, hence the sloppy animation quality!?

Who knows?, a k-on! Season 2 might look like a crayon shin-chan quality!?
oh gosh jebus santos chripes no!!!!
Old 2009-06-19, 08:02   Link #78
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
oh gosh jebus santos chripes no!!!!
also, if you wanted some examples: *points at the 2nd & 3rd seasons of Minami-Ke*
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-06-19, 08:08   Link #79
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Minami-ke's 2nd and 3rd seasons weren't that horrible, ok it was far worse than season 1 at least.

That and I grew tired of it so I never really stuck with the show beyond the first season.
Old 2009-06-19, 08:35   Link #80
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

I don't have a source at the moment, but I recall a few facts about the Haruhi Live Alive episode:
Quote:
1. That episode was done by Yamakan (according to Wikipedia Series Production Director, Script, Storyboard, and Episode Director), who has since left KyoAni and did Kannagi.
2. The animators who were part of that episode vowed never to participate in that sort of death march ever again.
In other words, that live scene is probably a once-in-a-century type of thing, and KyoAni probably won't be able to show anything like that anymore.

PS: The deformed faces where also there in Haruhi's Live Alive, too.