AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-17, 21:34   Link #23741
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
colonialist(s) left too early!

That video exists because colonialism happened in middle east, which retribalized the region to a degree, dismantling the single coherent governmental structure in place and giving a way for the infamous fundie tribal state to rise. Actually, colonialists propped it up.
Old 2012-09-17, 22:36   Link #23742
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Boooo! Very bad joke given at California rodeo. The joke:

Quote:
Playboy is offering Ann Romney $250,000 to pose in the magazine and the White House is upset about it because National Geographic only offered Michelle Obama $50 to pose for them.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1890697.html

The only way for that guy to think that joke is acceptable to tell is that he has to be a racist.
Old 2012-09-17, 23:12   Link #23743
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I had little use politically for either Barry Goldwater or Ronald Reagan, but I cannot imagine either of them making a speech like this even at a private fundraiser. I pay taxes; my daughter has a Federally-subsized student loan for a couple thousand bucks each year that she will be repauing herself. Someday soon I'm going to go on Social Security and Medicare for which I have paid taxes for decades. That is the sum total of my collecting "entitlements" from the Federal Government. Otherwise I buy my own food and pay my own rent.

Yet somehow I'm still going to vote for Obama. Imagine that.

As my daughter said "Viewing access to food as an 'entitlement' is seriously disgusting."

Full New York Times coverage is here: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...on-government/
Old 2012-09-18, 00:37   Link #23744
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post

The only way for that guy to think that joke is acceptable to tell is that he has to be a racist.
yeah, it's not only racist but shows a fairly poor judge of beauty... but par for the course with that lot these days...
Old 2012-09-18, 00:45   Link #23745
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
yeah, it's not only racist but shows a fairly poor judge of beauty... but par for the course with that lot these days...
Some people might think he is only making the joke about tribal woman found in issues of National Geographic, but it could be interpreted in another way; National Geographic sometimes has pictures of apes and guerrillas and most of us here probably know about that racial insult. I really think the guy had 'all of the above' as the basis for his punchline, and both are bad. Not that there is anything wrong with black tribal women of course, but it was still crossing the line, especially when you consider the "$50" part, making it seem like black tribal women can't be seen as beautiful, only as 'people in rags that we can gawk at'.
Old 2012-09-18, 02:37   Link #23746
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Special Report: China's car makers cut corners to success
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88G1DQ20120918
Quote:
Global car makers typically conduct 125 to 150 crash tests for each new model. By relying more on computer simulations, Geely saved at least 200 million yuan ($31.57 million) and two years in development time on the Panda, the engineers said.

Paring back on crash tests, skimping on frills, simplifying designs, using cheaper materials and, in a departure for the industry, outsourcing most of their design and engineering are having a profound effect on the cost bases of China's dozens of car makers. Some are now able to sell cheap and cheerful small cars for about 40,000 yuan ($6,350) - less than half the price of a plain vanilla Toyota.

Ten years ago, no discerning Chinese consumer would have bought China-designed cars. Not only were such vehicles accused of being illegal counterfeits of foreign models, but their quality and safety were also mistrusted.

Now, despite their homely looks, some indigenous models are striking a balance between no-frills affordability and acceptable quality. In China, it is the age of the good-enough car - and that has potentially significant implications for the world auto industry.
Old 2012-09-18, 02:41   Link #23747
Sumeragi
Banned

And I'm not trusting their safety.
Old 2012-09-18, 02:44   Link #23748
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
And I'm not trusting their safety.
I wouldn't trust them on US road. There's too much dead on the US road already.
Old 2012-09-18, 03:04   Link #23749
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Has any exploded yet?
Old 2012-09-18, 03:16   Link #23750
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
That video exists because colonialism happened in middle east, which retribalized the region to a degree, dismantling the single coherent governmental structure in place and giving a way for the infamous fundie tribal state to rise. Actually, colonialists propped it up.
you have a point

but as someone who grew up in a country that was under colonialism for 300 years, I'm going to say that there's a point where you can no longer blame the past and you must make an effort to modernize yourself.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2012-09-18, 03:42   Link #23751
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
you have a point

but as someone who grew up in a country that was under colonialism for 300 years, I'm going to say that there's a point where you can no longer blame the past and you must make an effort to modernize yourself.
It'll take time. Europe needed centuries to recover from the fall of Rome. Middle East won't be cured in a night, so everyone must start from accepting it as a product of history instead of cultural determinism or religious tradition or what have you. And remember that the continuing foreign involvement there up to this day isn't exactly contributive to the region's progress either.

I live in Indonesia, which was under continuous foreign domination (NOT colonial rule. note this) for 3 centuries straight, and achieved independence only through immense bloodshed, and then ping-ponged back and forth during Cold War, suffered from civil war, and also experienced 2 despotic regimes both of which fell dramatically. All of them contributed much more to the current state of the republic then anything Islamic Holy Book has to offer, which can be interpreted in whatever way to suit any interests.

Last edited by Ridwan; 2012-09-18 at 04:13.
Old 2012-09-18, 04:15   Link #23752
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-18, 09:13   Link #23753
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Insight: In Africa's warm heart, a cold welcome for Chinese
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88H0CR20120918
Old 2012-09-18, 09:53   Link #23754
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Special Report: China's car makers cut corners to success
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...88G1DQ20120918
Did people forget the Ford Pinto?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1971-1...rd-pinto12.htm
Old 2012-09-18, 10:40   Link #23755
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
I'm here to debunk that urban legend. When I was a kid my mom had a 1971 Pinto. One day, we were rear-ended hard enough to bend the rear bumper pretty good. Remember, this was back when cars were built like tanks, not plastic bumpers and crumpling metal alloys. No Michael Bay explosions, nobody getting burned alive. Nothing happened except some bent metal on both vehicles. My mom had that car for 17 years and it was still running pretty good when she sold it in the late 80's.

Endless "Michael Bay Explosions" Soul
Old 2012-09-18, 11:38   Link #23756
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

NASA Scientist Suggests Warp Drive Could be Feasible

I didn't consider this either "silly" or "odd" so I'm putting it here instead. The basic concepts for warp travel have been floating around for a few years, but the amounts of energy that would be required to power such a vessel were thought to require converting a planet the size of Jupiter from mass into energy. Now, according to a NASA engineer, a reconfiguration of the design of the hypothetical warp ship could reduce that requirement to just 500 kg.
Old 2012-09-18, 11:50   Link #23757
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
NASA Scientist Suggests Warp Drive Could be Feasible

I didn't consider this either "silly" or "odd" so I'm putting it here instead. The basic concepts for warp travel have been floating around for a few years, but the amounts of energy that would be required to power such a vessel were thought to require converting a planet the size of Jupiter from mass into energy. Now, according to a NASA engineer, a reconfiguration of the design of the hypothetical warp ship could reduce that requirement to just 500 kg.
where do i sign up?
Old 2012-09-18, 12:00   Link #23758
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
where do i sign up?
Inside the barrel, I am suspect the 500kg will start off as a projectile instead of a vehicle first.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-09-18, 12:02   Link #23759
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I'm here to debunk that urban legend. When I was a kid my mom had a 1971 Pinto. One day, we were rear-ended hard enough to bend the rear bumper pretty good. Remember, this was back when cars were built like tanks, not plastic bumpers and crumpling metal alloys. No Michael Bay explosions, nobody getting burned alive. Nothing happened except some bent metal on both vehicles. My mom had that car for 17 years and it was still running pretty good when she sold it in the late 80's.

Endless "Michael Bay Explosions" Soul
Well, I'm awfully glad that you and your mother were safe. I don't think it's an "urban legend" though.. more like the story was blown out of proportion. Here's an article on it.

http://www.pointoflaw.com/articles/T...Pinto_Case.pdf

Basically, the tl;dr version is: Ford Pinto was "about" as safe/dangerous as other vehicle manufacturers at the time, because other cars had their own unique design flaws. They still deserve criticism for their specific flaw though, because it existed due to a typical safety precaution being stripped.

So, my revised statement would be: "Don't forget about all the old U.S. subcompacts? Vega, Gremlin AND Pinto?"
Old 2012-09-18, 12:02   Link #23760
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

betcha Romney's remarks came on the heels of 0bama's "Julia" thing. You know, how we were supposed to celebrate the life of this Julia as the government coddled her from cradle to grave (that would be a government-issued gravesite, er, urn, um, fertilizer sack...)
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international