Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-06-23, 06:50   Link #21
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
He's 10, going on 11. Thanks for pointing that out.

I do not think a series centered only around girls would keep him engaged all that much. He's still quite new to the anime scene, and at his age (and judging his character from my perspective) it'd be difficult for him to associate with such a series, if that makes any sense?
Yes, though there are a number of boys in supporting roles in Dennou Coil, and the story really isn't "girly" at all. The characters are exactly his age peers, ten going on eleven.

Given his age and interest in video games, I recommend watching the movie Summer Wars. (My current avatar comes from that film.) There is a main adolescent couple who have a cute quasi-romance, but the real focus on how someone is using an MMORPG to take over the world. The DVD has dubbing if that matters.

Finally, even though you say you're not interested in sports, I'm going to recommend Hikaru no Go, a story about a boy just a bit older than your brother who encounters the spirit of a Heian-era Go master and becomes enraptured by the game. It follows Hikaru into adolescence as he strives to become a professional Go player. I know it is hard to imagine a show about a board game could be all that compelling, but trust me, it is. VIZ never completed the dubbed version, but all 75 subtitled episodes are at the Hulu link above. That may be too long for your needs, but I really suggest watching the first couple of episodes with him and see.

There's just one girl in Hikaru, and she is not around for long. Otherwise it's a world of boys and men. (Well, there is a female Go master and a young girl in the live-action lessons at the end of the episodes, too.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-06-23 at 12:18.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 07:20   Link #22
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
How great for you. It turned me off to anime whenever I happened across it on adult swim (10+ years ago... and downloading some subbed anime on a whim is what got me into it).
Since the English dub of Inuyasha is clearly superior to the Japanese audio, Inuyasha is one of the few series that I always watch dubbed. I tend to prefer subs, but Inuyasha is an exception for me. Odd since it has the exact same voice cast as Ranma 1/2, yet I can't stand the Ranma dub.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 11:50   Link #23
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Since the English dub of Inuyasha is clearly superior to the Japanese audio...
lol, that's quite a statement... I could say the exact opposite and it'd be just as meaningful to my own argument.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 17:02   Link #24
kitten320

Yeh, makes sense. It is a pretty sexist age. I'll point out the following from my list then:

FMA
D.Gray Man
Hunter x Hunter
Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle
Major
Sengoku Basara
Old 2013-06-24, 22:41   Link #25
Darthtabby

Given the strict requirements on fan service, I'm coming out against A Certain Magical Index and Full Metal Panic, despite the latter being one of my all time favorite anime series.

On the other hand I'm going to second the recommendation for Crest of the Stars, its really good and from what I remember about the only fan service is the somewhat skimpy attire of some Ahb nobleman's maids.

I'm inclined to second the original Last Exile as well. Its a good steampunk adventure story (if a touch slow at times) and pretty low on fan service aside from a very tame bath scene involving the female main villain. Well, there's that and a comedic scene where one of the male characters gets stripped by the Silvana's mechanics.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 23:29   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'll say again, Rurouni Kenshin. I think 11 is old enough to appreciate it for the most part.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 15:32   Link #27
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
lol, that's quite a statement... I could say the exact opposite and it'd be just as meaningful to my own argument.
Both dub and sub of Inuyasha are good. I do not have problems with either track. And I'm sure this guy's little brother won't have a problem with either one either.
Old 2013-06-25, 18:01   Link #28
Traece
:cool:

Well if he's skirting the 11 range then you'll probably want to give him some good shounen to watch.

If he's up for watching classics that gives you a lot of great options like Gundam and DBZ. DBZ is a very obvious choice, and frankly it makes a great show for kids. I have some extended family that has many kids and they practically raised their children on that show. If he doesn't mind the dated look of Mobile Suit Gundam toss him into the original and teach that boy some quality mecha anime! There's also 08th MS Team and 0080 which would appeal more in the action category while being less dated in appearance. Unicorn I very highly recommend, although it's not finished yet, but I worry it would bore him past the action scenes (which admittedly are the best in Gundam history, imho). There's also G Gundam which is more friendly to the younger audiences and isn't really a bad series.

There's also the shounen trinity: Bleach, Naruto, and Fairy Tail (there's One Piece too but... Yeah...). Naruto would be great, but there is some fanservice and such early on and then again later in the series so it would probably make a great show for him in his teens. Bleach however doesn't really have much fanservice that I recall so it might be a better choice.

Fairy Tail doesn't really have fanservice that I can recall either and maintains a lot of the appeals that Naruto would have. It might be a good choice.

The problem with D.Gray-Man and Inuyasha is that they are much darker series than what I would typically see an 11-year-old watch. If he spends a lot of time playing games though I suppose the blood and gore wouldn't be a particularly large issue. They're both good shows in their own ways and I am a big fan of D.Gray-Man, so I do recommend it highly. Inuyasha is a bit older but it certainly has its moments. I really should finish it...

There's also Zoids, which is absolutely targeted around his age group. Good old Zoids: New Century Zero. Still have some very fond memories of that show.

But all of that is really just some minor suggestions, because the absolute best show for him to watch is obviously Big O. It's showtime in the Asuras household.

Basically everything that aired on Toonami back in the day would make a good choice. Those shows were picked specifically to appeal to those audiences, after all. They're all extremely successful because of it.
Old 2013-06-25, 19:35   Link #29
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hunter X Hunter is certainly the best shounen airing and arguably the best ever, but despite what demographic reach and TV scheduling say, I think it's pretty rough for a 10-11 year-old.
Old 2013-06-26, 10:19   Link #30
kitten320

Well... I guess Phantom arc and especially Chimera arc might be a bit too much for him...
Old 2013-06-26, 12:05   Link #31
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

He might like Scrapped Princess. Good fantasy anime with some twists. Not much fanservice and the violence isn't bad in it. It is from Studio Bones, too.

Do you guys think that Outlaw Star would be good for someone age 11? I've been meaning to see the whole series, I only watched a handful of episodes, but I have it on DVD and it says 13 and up on the DVD box. Do you guys think an 11 year old could be fine with a series like this?
Old 2013-06-26, 12:12   Link #32
Tenzen12

I think any Gundam or Macross might work, aside of mecha shows standart shonens should work as they target audience with same age as your brother (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Shaman King ect.) They are not particulary deep shows, but it might work as good starting point.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-06-27 at 00:12.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 19:30   Link #33
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
He might like Scrapped Princess. Good fantasy anime with some twists. Not much fanservice and the violence isn't bad in it. It is from Studio Bones, too.

Do you guys think that Outlaw Star would be good for someone age 11? I've been meaning to see the whole series, I only watched a handful of episodes, but I have it on DVD and it says 13 and up on the DVD box. Do you guys think an 11 year old could be fine with a series like this?
I love Outlaw Star, but that strikes me as a story someone with a little more well-developed sense of irony and cynicism might enjoy more. I don't always care about demographic labels, but OS is seinen for a reason.
Old 2013-06-26, 19:38   Link #34
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... action series for a 10-11 year old, eh?

I would also give a vote for Hikaru no Go ... but it is kinda long if you have time constraints.
Old 2013-06-26, 21:46   Link #35
Darthtabby

Unless I somehow missed a post where the thread starter indicated that they were relaxing their strict requirement with regards to fan service, I'm seeing quite a few shows that probably shouldn't be in this thread...

Fairy Tail: If the screenshots I while scrolling through blog entries on Random C are any indication, this one has quite a bit of fan service. I'm not quite as sure about Naruto and Bleach but I was under the impression they had a decent bit of stuff that could be considered objectionable as well.
Outlaw Star: Um, no. Just no. One of the episodes wasn't even considered suitable for airing on TV by the show's American broadcaster.
Macross: I'm a big Macross fan, but I'd write off pretty much everything except maybe the original TV series from 1982. And that one is a maybe.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 21:52   Link #36
devildog23
Summerlurking

Action

Can't go wrong with the FMA suggestions
Mainstream Shonen would also be a good choice and many were already mentioned (One Piece, Naruto, DBZ, Bleach,Kenshin)
Also mecha would be a good choice, like the aforementioned Gundam. Also worthy of note are Macross Frontier, Full Metal Panic, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Comedy

School Rumble would be good for a lot of laughs. Good for all age ranges.
Yakitate Japan!! - hilarious
Old 2013-06-28, 02:56   Link #37
Traece
:cool:

Unless I missed something, I'm not aware of Fairy Tail having much in the way of fanservice. It was a pretty conservative show compared to the usual shounen. Perhaps someone who has watched it more than once or more recently can offer some ideas there.

Outlaw Star is a definite no. Unless you can get your hands on the broadcast version with the censorship in I don't recommend this show. Even if it is an amazing show and a borderline classic because of Toonami, literally the first (or second?) episode has female nudity in it. It does have sexual references in it too and is a bit mature. Looking back, I don't know how they managed to air that show. Gene Starwind is quite a player.
Old 2013-06-28, 03:45   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

They aired it because they edited the hell out of it (including skipping the best onsen episode ever altogether).

There's quite a bit of rather innocently raunchy "shounen" fanservice in Fairy Tail. Much more in the OVAs.

Tags
children