AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-02-09, 06:57   Link #61
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
To stay on topic, I hate Relena with passion rivalled only my hatred toward Stinku and Wanko.. And I still dont understand why peoples raving about Gundam Wing.. So yea, Thats my most dislike gundam series

Seconded!
I grew up with Gundam 0079 and the UC verse, than in recent years I saw 00, Seed and Turn-A that I adored (not so much Destiny, though...), but Wing it's a big no no for me.
Can't get myself to like the Victorian aura with all of its weird concepts of honor and chivalry. That, coped with the funny uniforms, the sudden and not all justified twists of the plot, and some of the most dislikable characters ever (Relena... Dorothy) makes Wing my least favorite Gundam series.
Zechs, Treize, Duo and Noin were interesting characters, though
Atlantis_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 07:11   Link #62
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
G-Saviour, thats all....
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 13:01   Link #63
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

G-Savior is a movie, technically, not a series, lol. (Same with F91 and CCA.)

But yeah, half the AU Gundam series that have come out seemed to have traded off a majority of GOOD character and/or story development in favor of flashier MS (battles) and whatnot. (Specifically, Wing, SEED, SEED Destiny, and a lot of 00, character-wise.) A bunch of the MS look cool and whatnot, but the characters tended to stay nearly the same for a majority of the series, thus making them quite bland and boring after a short time.

UC and the other half of the AUs (G Gundam, Gundam X, and Turn A Gundam) managed to keep that good balance between character/story development and good MS designs and battles overall.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 07:50   Link #64
Vsin
Aldracity

I actually liked Destiny...until after Kira got ressed. After that it all just went to hell, and it...ended before the climax really. Or maybe the ending was ridiculously rushed despite having the full 50, an extra 51, and even Final Plus didn't help much. And the final battle being stock footage + a couple stills? Eeeewwww.

GX is definitely my favourite at this point. SO underrated, yet manages to do just about everything right. And despite getting cut short by the network, it still somehow managed to end coherently.

Speaking of endings, I thought Zeta ended a bit abruptly, though definitely coherently. I mean sure, lots of people die, tears everywhere...but until you watch ZZ you have no clue what happened after. It's not even MSG where Amuro floats his way over to the lifeboat; at least you can assume the ending there. With Zeta, all that happens is Kamille goes nuts, Fa cries, *CREDITS*. Huh? Not even a shot of the Argama limping off towards Shangri-La? I know it was intended as NTR, but insanity didn't feel conclusive.

As you can tell, the last impression matters the most to me :P
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 13:51   Link #65
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Yeah, I was looking forward to SEED Destiny when I saw a brand new "protagonist" being in the spotlight and Athrun being a major supporting role (like Kamille with Char/Quattro behind him)...sadly...that ended very quickly...
Old 2011-02-10, 14:01   Link #66
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Yeah, I was looking forward to SEED Destiny when I saw a brand new "protagonist" being in the spotlight and Athrun being a major supporting role (like Kamille with Char/Quattro behind him)...sadly...that ended very quickly...
I actually had the opposite impression Throughout the series I was actually waiting for Kira to be ressed. His popularity after SEED was so significant that Shinn simply had little to no chance of keeping up with the kind of spotlight that was bestowed upon Kira.

I certainly felt sorry for Shinn, having his role as protagonist sidestepped (to put it nicely), but at the end, I really wanted to see Kira & Lacus more.

Besides, Kira is voiced by Souichiro Hoshi, that pretty much says OP

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 14:03   Link #67
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

I wouldn't have minded if Kira didn't STEAL the spotlight, but merely showed up in another support role (like Amuro did in Zeta; came back into the mix, but didn't take over the series while still remaining a semi-important character along with Char. Hell, they even had Beltorchika telling Kamille that Amuro would be more suited for piloting the, at the time, Gundam Mark II).
Old 2011-02-10, 19:57   Link #68
Vsin
Aldracity

For the record, when I said "when Kira was ressed", I mean when he was literally resurrected from a nuclear explosion, not his re-introduction to the series. Seriously, one EP you have him with a sword through the proverbial gut, nuclear explosion and everything...and the next his finger is on a comically large panel that says THIS BUTTON TURNS OFF THE NUCLEAR REACTOR LOL.

Really? REALLY?
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 20:08   Link #69
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

You people apparently like missing the fact that the explosion was caused by the Minerva and not from the Freedom.
Old 2011-02-10, 20:14   Link #70
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
For the record, when I said "when Kira was ressed", I mean when he was literally resurrected from a nuclear explosion, not his re-introduction to the series. Seriously, one EP you have him with a sword through the proverbial gut, nuclear explosion and everything...and the next his finger is on a comically large panel that says THIS BUTTON TURNS OFF THE NUCLEAR REACTOR LOL.

Really? REALLY?
Lulz, yeah I remember the fallout after that episode...Some clones actually thought Kira was dead, but to their cheese-fried happiness the subtlety of Fukuda had him alive and well before the damn episode OP credits even rolled ...

Those were good times, Neo, the worst maskman ever, in the sickbay pretending to watch the CBS evening News while eavesdropping on Cagali and Kira talk about Athrun's relationship problems like it was an episode of Mobile Suit Degrassi High...I think Kira ate beans and franks that ep, god bless Nuclear fission off-switches...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2011-02-10 at 20:29. Reason: snytax, i mean syntax
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 21:20   Link #71
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

It wold have been nice if there was a side story focusing on Kira and Lacus & co throughout 3/4 of Destiny with very little involvement of Kira in the main story.

Maybe something like:

Kira / Lacus fighting against Durandal (his involvement kept secret) & Canard Pars and a black op squad made of more survived prototypes of the Ultimate Coordinator Project.

All trying to capture Kira so that they can get their hands on the one successfully developed sample of the Ultimate Coordinator Project, with the ultimate goal of restarting the project. Or we can make things even more crazy by having Lacus pregnant with Kira's child and Canard and his Crew trying to capture Lacus. And all of this while Kira struggles with his own "brothers" who push him to the edge of his physical and mental limits.

Kira in a new MS that is non nuclear, less powerful but more advanced than the Freedom. equipped with some unique piece of technology that allows more creativity from the pilot but limits his options in weaponry, maneuverability and energy. And through taking away the luxury of 'no kill policy' that he got from the Freedom.

And than in the end we can have both stories come together where Kira, Athrun and co reunite. And we can have one gigantic cluster fuck where Kira and co face a much stronger Shinn and Canard Pars and other skilled pilots.. And maybe even another ultimate coordinator.
Old 2011-02-10, 21:29   Link #72
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Kira in a new MS that is non nuclear
When Minerva first came to Orb, I wanted Kira to be an Orb soldier, possibly testing the Murasame with Morgenroete. It would've been awesome to have Kira made a landing just as the two captains met.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 22:11   Link #73
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Funny thing is...Kira really showed little to no real "sign" of being the "Ultimate Coordinator" that really set him apart from others. Sure, he had one "Newtype flash" a.k.a. spatial awareness flash like Mwu and Rau showed during his first sortie in the Strike Freedom, but never again. And he never really demonstrated anything else that really sets him above and beyond every other Coordinator in existence. It sounds more like more BS put in place just as an excuse to say he's "better" than anyone else without ACTUALLY explaining why. x_x
Old 2011-02-10, 22:22   Link #74
monster

I thought it's been pointed out over and over again that the Ultimate Coordinator project was about creating coordinators exactly as specified by avoiding the uncertainty of a normal development inside a natural womb.

That, in itself, doesn't mean you get a superior coordinator. It could be as simple as getting the right eye color that the parents wanted.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 22:26   Link #75
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

At the very least, that's one of the things.

But with the way they talk about it in the series and side-stories, they make it seem like some ultra-significant thing far greater than it is.

Like with Canard going all out of his way, initially, to find and defeat Kira just to take the title of "Ultimate Coordinator".
Old 2011-02-10, 22:27   Link #76
zeroexia
he is a CHAR

Quote:
Funny thing is...Kira really showed little to no real "sign" of being the "Ultimate Coordinator" that really set him apart from others. Sure, he had one "Newtype flash" a.k.a. spatial awareness flash like Mwu and Rau showed during his first sortie in the Strike Freedom, but never again. And he never really demonstrated anything else that really sets him above and beyond every other Coordinator in existence. It sounds more like more BS put in place just as an excuse to say he's "better" than anyone else without ACTUALLY explaining why. x_x
I think he had multiple newtype flashes, somewhere around 3 or 4. Most of them are against Rey in the last battle. He usually gets them to dodge some DRAGOONS or some other attack. To be fair, he's the only coordinator to have newtype flashes.

In GS and GSD, only four people had newtype abilities. I think everybody else who could have have newtype abilities died, meaning that team Mwu was part of. This is excluding the side-stories which I'm not too familiar with.
zeroexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 22:32   Link #77
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

SEED-wise, it's simply "spatial awareness", lol.

But as far as we know, there's only been around 5 confirmed pilots with such an ability; Mwu, Rau, Rey, Prayer Reverie (Astray), and and Morgan Chevalier (Astray). And 3 of them are merely clones, lol. Everyone else was a normal Natural, including the original pilots for the GAT-X units at the beginning.

So far, I haven't really seen any explanations for Kira's little flash.

Heck, there's a lot of info lacking for a lot of things for SEED/SEED Destiny.
Old 2011-02-10, 22:35   Link #78
zeroexia
he is a CHAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I thought it's been pointed out over and over again that the Ultimate Coordinator project was about creating coordinators exactly as specified by avoiding the uncertainty of a normal development inside a natural womb.

That, in itself, doesn't mean you get a superior coordinator. It could be as simple as getting the right eye color that the parents wanted.
I'm not exactly sure but couldn't that mean they could put whatever genes they wanted into the Ultimate Coordinator and therefore create the best human possible. This wouldn't be possible with regular coordinators considering the original problem.

I mean Kira and Canard are products of the Ultimate Coordinator Project and are much more skilled, have more talent, and better overall ability compared to regular coordinators.

Look at Kira, unlike Athrun or Shinn, he's never had military training or even shot a gun before he piloted the Strike and yet he's able to pilot the Strike well enough to fend off an beat 4 other gundams, then go on in the freedom to win a war and then the strike freedom, after 2 years of no piloting at all, to god mode the entire war a second time.

There's definitely something different about Ultimate Coordinators in terms of potential at least. Maybe they were trying to create a kind of Newtype, which is why Canard was a failure and Kira Yamato was a success, considering he has both seed and newtype flashes.
Old 2011-02-10, 22:41   Link #79
zeroexia
he is a CHAR

Quote:
SEED-wise, it's simply "spatial awareness", lol.

But as far as we know, there's only been around 5 confirmed pilots with such an ability; Mwu, Rau, Rey, Prayer Reverie (Astray), and and Morgan Chevalier (Astray). And 3 of them are merely clones, lol. Everyone else was a normal Natural, including the original pilots for the GAT-X units at the beginning.

So far, I haven't really seen any explanations for Kira's little flash.

Heck, there's a lot of info lacking for a lot of things for SEED/SEED Destiny.
True, they never really explained much. To be honest, if they never explained newtypes, how would people who watched gundam for the first time by watching CE know anything about what happened?

Really, I think if Kira has newtype flashes and some other newtype awareness, by sensing Mwu and Rau, they should explain it a bit.

SEED and the "spatial awareness" seem like separate things, that's why although like 5 people have confirmed SEED, only Kira has newtype flashes.

They never really explained what SEED was supposed to do. It's supposed to aid in the evolution of humanity or something but yet we haven't seen anything except giving better piloting skills.

If they ever make another CE, they need to explain SEED and newtypes.
Old 2011-02-10, 22:44   Link #80
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroexia View Post
I mean Kira and Canard are products of the Ultimate Coordinator Project and are much more skilled, have more talent, and better overall ability compared to regular coordinators.
This is arguable. I always found that it was primarily because of, as usual, opposing pilots underestimated him because of him being a kid with no MS or combat experience, so they take it easy and think him easy pickings or something, which leaves them wide open for them to be hit back. Otherwise, they really didn't do anything that unique...

Quote:
Look at Kira, unlike Athrun or Shinn, he's never had military training or even shot a gun before he piloted the Strike and yet he's able to pilot the Strike well enough to fend off an beat 4 other gundams, then go on in the freedom to win a war and then the strike freedom, after 2 years of no piloting at all, to god mode the entire war a second time.
Actually, those times he "fended them off" early on, it was really a combination of...

1.) Him blindingly shooting his beam rifle to the point of running out of energy while running away.

2.) Support from Mwu and/or the Archangel and damaging their mothership and forcing them to retreat.

...and/or...

3.) Them running out of power and being forced to retreat because of trying to fight him, Mwu, and the Archangel all at once.

...early on, if it weren't for some combo of the 3, he would've already been killed or captured. (As Athrun had him caught were it not for Mwu's intervention and Yzak had him on the ropes easily too.)

Quote:
There's definitely something different about Ultimate Coordinators in terms of potential at least. Maybe they were trying to create a kind of Newtype, which is why Canard was a failure and Kira Yamato was a success, considering he has both seed and newtype flashes.
No Newtypes in SEED/SEED Destiny though. So far, there's no real explanation for the full, long-term goal. We just know one step, at least, being to have a baby come out exactly as they plan it to be and MAYBE slightly better physically and/or mentally than your average Coordinator (though, Kira, again, really didn't show any such signs beyond any other Coordinator we get to know).

Then again, they seemed to pretty much quit on SEED Destiny halfway through and stopped trying to rationalize a lot of things and just did it to look cool or something. ~_~