AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-19, 22:35   Link #261
Midonin
Last Engage

I still prefer the posing and roll calling and slightly more comedic tone of ZKC TOS, but this spinoff did a nice job expanding the universe, and The Children themselves weren't exactly left out of the action. I wouldn't have watched it if it wasn't connected to ZKC, but since I did, it made for something enjoyable.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-20, 10:52   Link #262
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

I dunno about the "we won't get sales".
Break Through, the Karen Guys' compilation album for the series that came out yesterday, got to the tenth place in Oricon Daily.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 01:25   Link #263
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
I dunno about the "we won't get sales".
Break Through, the Karen Guys' compilation album for the series that came out yesterday, got to the tenth place in Oricon Daily.
It's not that it wasn't going to "get" sales, it's just that this wasn't going to be a huge seller. So they spent a lot more time on the side-product part of the deal. The album selling well is definitely what they were hoping for. They can make their money (plus advertise the main series) with the non-BluRay sales. There's a lot of potential in this version of the property for that.

I really like the series, but given what this series is compared to the base work, it's definitely expanding out to a different market.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 01:34   Link #264
novalysis

I loled and Hyoubu's Kantana Light Saber this episode
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 13:05   Link #265
Midonin
Last Engage

What I said at the top of this page is true this week, too. I still prefer the original series by a fair margin, but this spinoff was a lot more enjoyable than I expected it to be. Once BABEL and The Children started to become more integral to the series, the tone and feel and story type became closer to the series I remembered, while still fleshing out the villain/anti-hero side of things. The new animation for the psychic powers could get rather psychedelic at points, and all the variant OPs and EDs were a pleasant surprise for a normal length series. Kyosuke and Andy had their adventures, and everyone else, up to and including The Nostalgia Critic, got at least one cool moment. (Really, that cameo just makes this series more memorable.) Hayate and ZKC were two of the series that I really enjoyed when I was getting into anime, so having Manglobe continue them now is a fun ride. Maybe the next series can bring The Children back into the spotlight, if there is one - it's clear Hirano is up for reprising her role.
Old 2013-03-25, 14:47   Link #266
LKK

I have a question about Andy.
Spoiler for ep 12:

This series was the season's biggest surprise for me. I started watching the show for 2 reasons. One, the good-looking guys in the promo poster caught my fancy. Two, the show's description sounded like the type of "superpowers" show I might enjoy. I hadn't even heard of the original series at that point. I tried the show on a whim, not expecting a great deal. But I got a great deal nonetheless. A good-looking, engaging cast, a battle for the future of the world, good guys and bad guys who weren't wholly either, and a nice workout for my color monitor. I hope some R1 company comes along and licenses UNLIMITED for home distribution. I'd like to own it.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2013-03-25 at 16:29. Reason: fixed spoiler tag
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 15:32   Link #267
Clarste
Human

Decent finale, but the series overall went downhill after the flashback arc. I can see why they brought back the Captain, to give Hyobu some closure, but it still felt kind of nonsensical and the whole ending sequence was kind of "I guess we need an ending now" more than anything else.

That said, I still enjoyed it and have a positive impression of the series as a whole.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 17:14   Link #268
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

LKK

Most probably
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 21:22   Link #269
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
LKK

Most probably
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Anything in particular that leads you to that conclusion? (I'm not arguing with you. I'm curious if you saw something that I missed.)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2013-03-25, 22:00   Link #270
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well not to bad of an ending but this would of been better if it was 24eps
Old 2013-03-25, 22:43   Link #271
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Looks like another internet celebrity has found their way into UNLIMITED.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 22:45   Link #272
Midonin
Last Engage

I wonder how long it's going to be before the Game Grumps appear in an anime now. The possibility is very there.
Old 2013-03-26, 01:58   Link #273
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 08:11   Link #274
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
And the Engrish OP sucks.
Was the OP always in English? I swear I didn't even notice that they were attempting English until the last episode. Even then, I wasn't sure if all the words were supposed to be English or if it was the usual mix of English and Japanese. If the OP was always in English and the lyrics are all English, then that was the lamest try at an English song that I've heard in a long, long, long time.

Old 2013-03-26, 13:13   Link #275
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Overall, a very good spin-off. It has its own arc and is clear in focusing on which characters. Meanwhile, it doesn't brush off the protagonists from the main series and actually gave them something to do that is relevant to the story arc. I also enjoy the different OPs and EDs (the Engrish? Not so much ).

Now, I'm ready for the real thing if they do plan on making more ZKC animated projects.
Old 2013-03-26, 14:11   Link #276
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Was the OP always in English? I swear I didn't even notice that they were attempting English until the last episode. Even then, I wasn't sure if all the words were supposed to be English or if it was the usual mix of English and Japanese. If the OP was always in English and the lyrics are all English, then that was the lamest try at an English song that I've heard in a long, long, long time.
It was in Japanese during the episodes when the group went to Japan, but otherwise, it was in Engrish. There is a bit of Japanese in the Engrish version too, but the Engrish is so Engrish, you can't tell if it is a foreign language or not...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 14:55   Link #277
LKK

^^ Wow. A Japanese language version and then an English language version.

You know, when 2 very different sounding languages are indistinguishable from each other, at least 1 of them is being pronounced badly.

Old 2013-03-26, 18:20   Link #278
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

I thought this anime was great. Ending was good, IMO. I've never watched the original series but I got what was going on.

Hyobu is an old soldier, Andy sort of reminds him of himself during the war. Both get betrayed in a similar fashion...

They left room for a follow up season. Is Yugiri a clone of Hyobu's mother? Is she a mixture of Hyobu and Kaoru's DNA?

Oh yeah, Andy probably got new powers from doing what he did. For all we know. his real "limiter" broke.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 21:43   Link #279
shadow1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
^^ Wow. A Japanese language version and then an English language version.

You know, when 2 very different sounding languages are indistinguishable from each other, at least 1 of them is being pronounced badly.
well you have to give the singer props for atleast trying to sing the whole opening in English and they are distinguishable from each other once you realize one is being sung in English, I do wonder if they will release a full version of the song in English or if there just going to release the Japanese only version
Old 2013-03-27, 07:18   Link #280
Jetzero Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
well you have to give the singer props for atleast trying to sing the whole opening in English and they are distinguishable from each other once you realize one is being sung in English, I do wonder if they will release a full version of the song in English or if there just going to release the Japanese only version
There's a full version of the english song. I have it on my iPod actually.
Jetzero Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem