AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Bakemonogatari - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 28 45.90%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 22.95%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 13.11%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 14.75%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.64%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.64%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-12, 08:01   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Bakemonogatari - Episode 1 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Bakemonogatari, Episode 1.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 16:34   Link #2
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just started watching this, largely due to Kaisos comparing it favorably to Haruhi 2009.

The animation quality for this show is unreal. Definitely cutting edge animation. Very gnarly and offbeat artwork as well, yet quite pretty at times.

On an animation/art style level, this anime stands out as potentially revolutionary; it has a distinguishing quality to it that I probably haven't seen since Elfen Lied.

The characters aren't particularly likable (yet), but they are fascinating. And the plot twists and turns in genuinely unpredictable ways.

All told, this was a very solid 1st episode.

It loses a point for that really cheap fanservice shot at the beginning though... lol
Old 2009-08-18, 17:10   Link #3
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Just started watching this, largely due to Kaisos comparing it favorably to Haruhi 2009.

The animation quality for this show is unreal. Definitely cutting edge animation. Very gnarly and offbeat artwork as well, yet quite pretty at times.

On an animation/art style level, this anime stands out as potentially revolutionary; it has a distinguishing quality to it that I probably haven't seen since Elfen Lied.

The characters aren't particularly likable (yet), but they are fascinating. And the plot twists and turns in genuinely unpredictable ways.

All told, this was a very solid 1st episode.

It loses a point for that really cheap fanservice shot at the beginning though... lol
Actually its part of the story, for the final arc. The female character has a particular problem that causes such things to happen.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 18:33   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
Actually its part of the story, for the final arc. The female character has a particular problem that causes such things to happen.
Thanks for the info. Makes this episode seem pretty much flawless then.
Old 2009-08-19, 00:25   Link #5
Azuma Denton
~AD~

just read chapter 2 of Koyomi Vamp on Baka-Tsuki and realize that in eps 1...

Spoiler for Hanekawa skirt flipping:
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 04:48   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Picked this up today... totally n00b at it (no prior knowledge of plot).

So far its very pretty and quite a bit off-center, so it has my interest. I can't say the first episode really either clarified much or created mystery though. It was just kind of "hmmmm". The OP I deemed a bit too revealing for what might lie ahead.

I'll give it an "9" for splashy entry though

I'm also quite surprised at how little comment the first ep got -- though I imagine most of it is in the 'general thread'.
Old 2009-08-27, 09:39   Link #7
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Heh, took you long enough, Vexx.

Given your interest in Spice and Wolf, I daresay you'd find Bakemonogatari right up your alley. After all, Senjougahara is everything I'd hoped Horo could have been.

And, yes, most of the discussion over Ep1 happened in the general thread. The subforum was created only after Ep6 aired.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 10:46   Link #8
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Episode 1... certainly wasn't your average first episode. And then it just gets better from here...

and yes, most of the discussion on this in in the earlier pages of the general discussion

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 12:34   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Heh, took you long enough, Vexx.

Given your interest in Spice and Wolf, I daresay you'd find Bakemonogatari right up your alley. After all, Senjougahara is everything I'd hoped Horo could have been.

And, yes, most of the discussion over Ep1 happened in the general thread. The subforum was created only after Ep6 aired.
The series has been sort of rumbling in my background all summer but I've been so busy the stuff I'm already watching I'm falling behind on. However, I dropped several over the last month:
--Basquash (the "shounen" finally overwhelmed my interest in the art and animation)
--Canaan (pure boredom with the plot killed character interest),
--Valkyrie Chronicles (no particular reason, just stopped caring what happened)
and idled Sora no Manimani for a rainy day marathon.

I think I'll avoid doing background research and just see how this series progresses with an "empty mind".
Old 2009-08-27, 20:26   Link #10
Clarste
Human

Hmm, I'm really looking forward to your reactions to this show Vexx. You tend to bring an interesting point of view to things.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-27, 22:30   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Temporarily derailed by real life.... but I'll be sure and babble about each episode
Old 2009-09-13, 19:45   Link #12
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I've finally joined in the fun!

I tried out the first ep just to see what's going on, got intrigued by Koyomi's situation, but it took a another watching to clue me into what Hitagi was doing.

After another re-watching, I noticed that someone is a fan of Frank Cho in the character design department (in reference to the design of Shinobu's former self).
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 22:47   Link #13
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the ride.

Don't know who Frank Cho is, although I have seen copies of Liberty Meadows around, which appears to evoke the aesthetic style of silver age comics. That being the case, I don't really see its direct influence on Bakemonogatari. Still, it's a fresh and interesting perspective to take.

I really should be catching up with Spice & Wolf II on my end, too. Unfortunately, there are only so many series I can follow intensively in one season.
Old 2009-09-15, 01:10   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy the ride.

Don't know who Frank Cho is, although I have seen copies of Liberty Meadows around, which appears to evoke the aesthetic style of silver age comics. That being the case, I don't really see its direct influence on Bakemonogatari. Still, it's a fresh and interesting perspective to take.

I really should be catching up with Spice & Wolf II on my end, too. Unfortunately, there are only so many series I can follow intensively in one season.
Actually, if you can find it - the early Liberty Meadows was pretty good and its antecedent University Squared was hilarious... later LM turned into a rather boring soap opera that overwhelmed the "purty wimmen" he loves to draw. He's much better at "funny" than "soap opera".

I'm rather behind on Spice&Wolf II myself but I pretty much know the plot so its a more leisurely thing for me.

Hitagi might vaguely evoke comparisons to "Frank Cho" drawings... but she just as surely evokes the character Erika in Megatokyo (beautiful ponytailed lass with a sarcastic wit and somewhat broken emotional module under strong shields).
Old 2009-09-15, 12:18   Link #15
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hitagi might vaguely evoke comparisons to "Frank Cho" drawings... but she just as surely evokes the character Erika in Megatokyo (beautiful ponytailed lass with a sarcastic wit and somewhat broken emotional module under strong shields).
OMG, Megatokyo. (Spot on comparison between Senjougahara and Erika, by the way. )

I loved that comic, but have lost track of it for at least two years now. Should check up on it again once I have more time to spare. Last I heard, it's already available in print.
Old 2009-09-15, 12:31   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
OMG, Megatokyo. (Spot on comparison between Senjougahara and Erika, by the way. )

I loved that comic, but have lost track of it for at least two years now. Should check up on it again once I have more time to spare. Last I heard, it's already available in print.
Off-topic but Megatokyo really picked up in interesting storyline in the last year or so with some dramatic plot events.
There are five volumes in print .... and Fred recently got a contract to have it printed for the Japanese in Japan (I *think* that's the first case of 'reverse manga' but not sure). The online website is still churning along way ahead of the dead-tree copies though at the usual sporadic release pace

But yeah.... Erika and Senjougahara are nearly twin sisters in terms of looks, personality, and wit. No aspersions on either author -- its just a classy archetype that even Shakespeare appreciated
Old 2009-09-20, 02:18   Link #17
SiLo
The Emperor

Send a message via AIM to SiLo
I wanna change my vote to 9 >_<

This episode was a great start to an already great looking anime,
SiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 08:15   Link #18
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Have a look at this anime at last (were watching so many anime last season and Bakemonogatari's just one short from cutting list)

I don't know why but i really love the SZS and Maria-Holic animation style (except the later was a disappointed) so this series gave me a good first impression.
The storyline was slow until around 7 mins when....hmmm.... what should i say ........ "My love 's the stapler"xD ?

Anyway awesome start, unique female lead (with her weapons of choice) let's see how this series will head to
Old 2009-11-03, 06:16   Link #19
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Cool one thing to say

I just watched this first episode and I completely agree with Triple R about the animation. Then like Vexx (how have you been? ^^) I really don't know what it's all about or what's coming next, so... I'll have a look and talk about it later.

gave it a 7 by the way. not much, I know, but like I said, I'm waiting for the rest.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 09:59   Link #20
destiny4everlove

Episode 1

The panty shot at the very beginning of the episode was very unexpected; especially the thing Araragi did with his eyes.

Senjo is a very scary girl; she sure knows how to use her school supplies as weapons.

The FMA reference about equivalent exchange was priceless!

Oshino is so awesomely cool! I can’t wait to know more about him!

The class president, I don’t remember her name. I like her , I hope she appears in the following episodes.

Thank you so much for my beautiful avy and my amazing sig, TheEroKing!!!
destiny4everlove is offline   Reply With Quote