AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-05-12, 22:47   Link #21
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by therationalpi View Post
Hate to say it, but one of these is shot live action with film and the other is drawn.

I'm digging on Mio's bass. Anyone have a similar instrument and willing to say what they think about it?
Any instrument of that grade is guaranteed to be a great instrument, really.
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-12, 23:43   Link #22
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
My dad used to have a Fender P-Bass Standard, 3-color sunburst with a maple neck, unfortunately a Mexican model, but still a Fender, and wasn't worth passing up for it's price...It was a damn quality bass; It had such a straight neck, the action was smooth and seemless because of it, and the tone had a simple yet effective bass tone due to it...I can't say anything about the Jazz Bass since I've never played one, but I am particular to the P-Bass, and for that matter, any Fender bass...I got a Squire acoustic bass for my birthday a couple years ago, and that thing plays great too...

There was this one bass that I really liked, that I saw at Willis Music a while ago...It was based off the body of a Jazz Bass without the pickguard but had a P-Bass pickup at the neck and a Jazz Bass pickup at the bridge...Oh, only since laying my eyes on an American P-Bass Deluxe had I jizzed my pants for such a beautiful Fender bass...

I'd recommend a Fender bass...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 00:04   Link #23
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Or if you're low on money, can't go wrong with a low-mid grade Ibanez.
Old 2009-05-13, 01:46   Link #24
therationalpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
Or if you're low on money, can't go wrong with a low-mid grade Ibanez.
I like to pay the extra money, because a good instrument can last a lifetime.
Old 2009-05-13, 03:59   Link #25
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

There are very few instruments that won't technically last a lifetime XD But I see your point. Yeah, saving up. I should try that some time lol
Old 2009-05-13, 11:39   Link #26
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
My dad used to have a Fender P-Bass Standard, 3-color sunburst with a maple neck, unfortunately a Mexican model, but still a Fender, and wasn't worth passing up for it's price...It was a damn quality bass; It had such a straight neck, the action was smooth and seemless because of it, and the tone had a simple yet effective bass tone due to it...I can't say anything about the Jazz Bass since I've never played one, but I am particular to the P-Bass, and for that matter, any Fender bass...I got a Squire acoustic bass for my birthday a couple years ago, and that thing plays great too...
Nothing wrong with MIM fender instruments, hence they are sold as standard models. Of course an American build or Japanese one tend to be a bit better, apparently, although japanese fenders tend to use basswood, which is not something for everyone. At the moment i find the MIM classic series to be one of the best fenders on the market, and i highly recommend them. Especially the '60s jazz bass looks and sounds great.
Squier i find is a hit or miss. CIJ/MIJ Squiers are probably the best budget guitars ever been made, but the corean, chinese, india and indonesia ones, i suggest to try it out in a shop before buying it, since the quality of those really depends on the batch and what factory it was made in.

BTW it is zildjian. Cymbals are a bit hard to identify, especially from a manda/anime, since apart form the size, material and the surface do matter, which is hard to guess drom a drawing, unless the model is printed on the cymbals.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-13, 21:54   Link #27
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

One thing I would like to comment on about musical instruments, is that when you have got no money, don't bother buying one.

I tried both a normal Yamaha and a Korg Titan keyboard, and I truly regretted buying the Yamaha one in the first place. The sound output quality sucks.

Regarding an electric guitar, it is important that you get something that has got a good sound quality, because it can affect your relative pitch if you get one with sucky quality, and thus your playing skills in the future if you rely on hearing more than notes.

But when it comes to drums (non-electronic), it doesn't really matter. They are all the same, it is how you tune it to your own liking because there are no electric components involved.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 08:31   Link #28
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

I would have to disagree. There are a lot of kits out there that sound terrible unless you invest and extra $100 in them to get some stuff to modify the toms and make the snare not sound awful and to get better cymbals.
Old 2009-05-14, 08:49   Link #29
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
But when it comes to drums (non-electronic), it doesn't really matter. They are all the same, it is how you tune it to your own liking because there are no electric components involved.
What the previous poster said, and it applies to all acoustic instruments. The quality of the material they are made with, how exact is precision the parts and their manufacturing process was, etc. Don't underestimate acoustic instruments ;p
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 13:38   Link #30
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Regarding an electric guitar, it is important that you get something that has got a good sound quality, because it can affect your relative pitch if you get one with sucky quality, and thus your playing skills in the future if you rely on hearing more than notes.
Not only does build quality have a lot to do with a guitar's sound quality, but it's also a little synonymous with brand...An Epiphone and a Squire may just be affordable versions of Gibson and Fender, respectively, but they're still built by their respective patent companies...There are differences, but the differences are really minute, and probably won't be picked up by most casual users, and in the hands of an experienced player played through a full-stack and run through a PA, yeah, you'll definitely hear the difference then...But there would still otherwise be nothing shitty about an Epiphone or Squire, especially when compared to something even lower in the chain of quality, like a First Act...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-14, 22:17   Link #31
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
What the previous poster said, and it applies to all acoustic instruments. The quality of the material they are made with, how exact is precision the parts and their manufacturing process was, etc. Don't underestimate acoustic instruments ;p
Maybe it just applies to drums. But like all musical instruments, regular tuning is a must to maintain sound quality, like once a month or once per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Not only does build quality have a lot to do with a guitar's sound quality, but it's also a little synonymous with brand...An Epiphone and a Squire may just be affordable versions of Gibson and Fender, respectively, but they're still built by their respective patent companies...There are differences, but the differences are really minute, and probably won't be picked up by most casual users, and in the hands of an experienced player played through a full-stack and run through a PA, yeah, you'll definitely hear the difference then...But there would still otherwise be nothing shitty about an Epiphone or Squire, especially when compared to something even lower in the chain of quality, like a First Act...
Although I am a pretty beginner-ish guitar player, I can hear stark differences between a Epiphone and a Fender. A Fender has a purer sound, like something that melts with a consistency when a single note is played. An Epiphone doesn't really have that kind, the sound melts much quicker and doesn't have much of a consistent sustain. Something like a difference between a freefall velocity-time graph and an acceleration-time graph. But that is just my opinion, no offense to anyone out there.

Anyway, I started out playing the piano/keyboard. A word of advice if you are a person who loves playing the piano and hates following notes and set pieces : NEVER buy Yamaha. They make good drumsets, moderate guitars, but lousy pianos. I just got a Weinberg 2nd hand, and after tuning it sounds much less coarse than my previous Yamaha.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 22:26   Link #32
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Although I am a pretty beginner-ish guitar player, I can hear stark differences between a Epiphone and a Fender. A Fender has a purer sound, like something that melts with a consistency when a single note is played. An Epiphone doesn't really have that kind, the sound melts much quicker and doesn't have much of a consistent sustain. But that is just my opinion, no offense to anyone out there.
Well, for starters, Epiphone is a subsidiary of Gibson, thus an Epiphone vs. Fender comparison is like comparing a base model car to a fully-loaded car...

But as far as the general Gibson/Epiphone and Fender/Squire thing, they each have their different tones to give people their different needs...Gibsons tend to be heavier on the low/mid-range tone with a grungier sound while Fenders tend to have more of a mid/high-range tone with a clear-cut sound, all things equal and isolated anyway...There are a lot of good ways to manipulate the sound out of either through amps, effects pedals, strings, and pickups, to make a Fender just as heavy as a Gibson or a Gibson just as clean as a Fender...But they do each have their own distinctive sound...

The quality of that sound of course is dependent on the brand you compare guitars to...You'd probably have a more equal comparison in playing an Epiphone and Squire side-by-side, since both are subsidiaries of their respective companies, in the area of affordable quality guitars...
Old 2009-05-15, 07:34   Link #33
BASS in SPACE

As far as Yamaha goes, my bass is a Yamaha BB614 and I am happy with it. It is in my opinion one of the best mid priced basses.[/I] Overall I'm happy with the sound and its versatility (active pickups are nice...), although I will admit the neck is not as fast as the SR range of Ibanez basses in that price range, which have a really justified reputation for the necks of their guitars/basses anyway. Just thought I'd put in my own (albeit biased ) 2 cents on Yamaha (although I can't comment on their guitars, pianos or drums).

As for Fender/Gibson copies (I'm gonna count squier and epiphone even though they're made by Fender/Gibson), I hear that Greco (Japanese company) make amazing Gibson copies. Sine they're banned from exporting to the US (presumably because US manufacturers are afraid of getting undercut), there must be something to those guitars...Heck almost all MIJ/CIJ instruments seem to be raved over. I have a second hand MIJ Fender myself, but I can't compare it to a US one since I've never played one, only a few MIMs.

Last edited by BASS in SPACE; 2009-05-15 at 07:47.
BASS in SPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 11:43   Link #34
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

In terms of Strat copies...you can't really go wrong with Fernandas Retrorockets, for the price range it's probably the most well-made Fender Strat copies on the market imo.

As far as Epiphone vs Gibson and Sqiuer vs Fender(lack of a better term) goes, the Epiphone LP is definitely a lot weaker and Noisier vs the Gibson LP, the hardware and craftsmanship is noticeable. As for Squier...I own a Squier Strat as my first Electric Guitar, while it is not unplayable, I don't even think there's a comparison between Squier and Fender, I dislike the Highway1 and I still think HW1 sounds so much better than my Squier and I mean I CAN make it sound a little better by changing the pickups, but to put $200 worth of pickup on a $200 Guitar is just not worth it imo, especially since the hardware on my Squier would need a complete revamp to utilize on the new pickups.
Old 2009-05-16, 11:59   Link #35
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASS in SPACE View Post
I hear that Greco (Japanese company) make amazing Gibson copies. Sine they're banned from exporting to the US (presumably because US manufacturers are afraid of getting undercut)
They did have a lawsuit filed against them for copyright infringement from both Gibson and Fender for making exact replicas, but I don't know about being banned since they weren't even sold outside of Japan even pre-lawsuit...

http://www.guitarsjapan.com/grecoinfopage.html
Old 2009-05-17, 03:25   Link #36
BASS in SPACE

Huh, learn something new everyday. I thought Tokai were the first to get hit by Fender for copyright issues too... Was there an actual lawsuit filed against Greco though? That site just mentions C & D letters.
BASS in SPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 04:17   Link #37
Mafty-Navue

Hey guys, I just realized something after I watched eps. 6
It seems that my amp is the same as the one Yui use in the festival
The amp is Marshall MG15 CDR

Here's pictures of the amp in the Anime and mine:

Spoiler for Yui's amp, Marshall MG15 CDR:

Spoiler for mine, the real one:
Mafty-Navue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-19, 20:33   Link #38
Justin Kim
*Artist

Sucks, I have been looking everywhere for a Korg Triton Extreme Graded Hammer 88 Keys action keyboard, but they discontinued much to my suprise. Now people are rarely selling these keyboards or auctioning them since they are just too darn good to be sold off to another person. I checked the specs, and I must say, I am really impressed with the 200,000 keys/notes you can create with just 1 multimedia keyboard.
Old 2009-05-22, 00:03   Link #39
koohyuko

Yep, its been discontinued, sadly. But if you're into the Triton Extreme, or any of the Triton series for that matter, you can always go with the M3 series. Its the successor to the Triton series. I haven't gotten to try one yet(waaaay out of my price range), but I image that its pretty good.
koohyuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 09:09   Link #40
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Hey guys, I just realized something after I watched eps. 6
It seems that my amp is the same as the one Yui use in the festival
The amp is Marshall MG15 CDR
How heavy is it?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote