Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-25, 19:09   Link #1
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Gakkou no Kaidan

Number of episodes: 19 (2000)
Production: Pierrot

Here's another old show coming back from the grave @_@;;;; The title would translate to "School Ghost Stories." It's a sort of monster of the week gimmick without any magical girls or big robots. Instead, you get a pack of 5th-graders (and a kid brother) and a disused schoolhouse which seems to attract evil critters.

I can't say Gakkou no Kaidan is one of my favorite series, but it's quite likable for something so cheap and nasty. The monsters are definitely scary, the kids tend to squabble a lot (especially when things get bad!) and the stories are pretty solid. The tone is upbeat; noone seems to think much about the monsters when they aren't around. There aren't all that many horror anime, so anyone who is seeking one out should check this one out.
Old 2004-08-26, 03:30   Link #2
tcov

It's a nice show. Episode 9 was just released yesterday by Genbu & HnK.
Old 2004-08-26, 08:42   Link #3
giga.s

_   ∩
( ゚ ∀゚ )彡 Panties! Panties!
  ⊂彡
Old 2004-08-26, 10:36   Link #4
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Number of episodes: 19 (2000)
Production: Pierrot
I can't say Gakkou no Kaidan is one of my favorite series, but it's quite likable for something so cheap and nasty. The monsters are definitely scary, the kids tend to squabble a lot (especially when things get bad!) and the stories are pretty solid. The tone is upbeat; noone seems to think much about the monsters when they aren't around. There aren't all that many horror anime, so anyone who is seeking one out should check this one out.
Isn't there a thematically similar series of live action movies by this name?
Old 2004-08-26, 11:12   Link #5
Thany
Unfair

Just finished watching the last episode and I still think it's pretty interesting
I especially like the cat (or whatever you'll call him).
Old 2004-08-28, 01:23   Link #6
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Weird... our records state there are 20 episodes of Gakkou no Kaidan. I haven't had the chance to verify this, though...

EDIT: Still haven't verified, but I'm told it's possible our count includes a special. We haven't typically included specials in episode counts though, unless this special is a numbered episode... does anyone happen to be able to clear up this little mystery?

EDIT2: It seems the special may be a full-length episode, we don't know yet... but, we will be following the episode numbering laid out on the show's official site, as we always have. As the special, whatever it may be, is not numbered, we will release it without a number, and our release information has been changed accordingly (as we classically do not count specials towards the episode count). Note that episode title translations that appear on our site are subject to change if necessary.

Last edited by StarCreator; 2004-08-28 at 03:27.
Old 2004-08-28, 03:19   Link #7
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

The show has 20 episodes, as seen here: http://pierrot.jp/title/kaidan/catalog/index.html

People need to stop thinking animenfo gets everything right.
Old 2004-08-28, 08:35   Link #8
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elepsis
The show has 20 episodes, as seen here: http://pierrot.jp/title/kaidan/catalog/index.html

People need to stop thinking animenfo gets everything right.
Not that I want to argue about how many episodes comprise this show, but the show is listed in 4 different places as being 19 episodes long. Animenfo is just a place where a lot of people add in information they have AFAIK. Nice of you to drop by for a friendly chat.
Old 2004-08-28, 09:33   Link #9
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

I also saw a site that listed Gakkou no Kaidan at 19 episodes.

But yes, its a 20 episode TV.
Been on reruns in Animax Asia (English sub/dub) for quite sometime now.

The ending was pretty obvious though

Last episode:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-29, 02:04   Link #10
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Yah Animax Taiwan showed this. I bought the VCD's (chinese subs) and watched it all in 3 days. It's that good. The cat, Kaya was my favorite character. If Hnk ever get to episode 12, it was one of the most dramatized episode ever. Even as tearjerking as KGNE!!! but nevertheless gakkou no kaidan is a very decent series
Old 2004-08-31, 01:03   Link #11
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Oh, we'll get there. Don't doubt it. =p
Old 2004-08-31, 02:19   Link #12
ichido reichan

I got the r2 dvds thanks to a friend of mine, and yes...it say 20 episodes...
Old 2004-09-25, 12:44   Link #13
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

(Let me know if this image is too big.)
Old 2004-10-24, 13:09   Link #14
hooliganj
Team Player

While I, too, was enjoying the latest fansub release, ADV just announced the rights to Gakkou no Kaidan as Ghost Stories.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5622

In the discussion thread they link to a video of the presentation that makes it clear what show they're talking about.
Old 2004-10-24, 21:39   Link #15
SeedBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
While I, too, was enjoying the latest fansub release, ADV just announced the rights to Gakkou no Kaidan as Ghost Stories.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5622

In the discussion thread they link to a video of the presentation that makes it clear what show they're talking about.
I didnt understand, why wont they add in School to the title also since thats the original name and with a title as Ghost Stories is a bit commonly used.
Old 2004-10-24, 22:56   Link #16
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

It's probably just a preliminary working title. The titles usually aren't finalized until much closer to release.

In any case, I'm surprised and pleased that this show that went passed-over for so long has finally gotten a license. I'll look forward to the DVDs. =p
Old 2006-03-27, 12:53   Link #17
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Anyone following this release?

ADV rewote the entire script and I think they gave the writer some drugs and said, 'Make it funny'

I'm on Disk 3 and it's pretty funny. but it is so politically incorrect I'm wondering how it got by. It's the Anime version of South Park.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-03-28, 01:48   Link #18
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
Anyone following this release?

ADV rewote the entire script and I think they gave the writer some drugs and said, 'Make it funny'

I'm on Disk 3 and it's pretty funny. but it is so politically incorrect I'm wondering how it got by. It's the Anime version of South Park.
Can you give us some specific examples of what changes were made?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-03-28, 02:24   Link #19
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Can you give us some specific examples of what changes were made?
The whole darn thing is different but let me think...

They are 10 year olds.. They are played as College kids who just want to have sex all the time. Hajime is constantly getting hard ons from Satsuki's panties.

Satsuki's little brother Keiichan is portrayed as an autistic kid. When he disappears, Hajime says 'Where's Retard-o boy?'

In the first episode when they walk into the old school and look at the pictures of the principals. Satsuki says 'Why do all the female principals look like Lesbians..OMG Mom?!?'

The older girl is a very devout Catholic. She is always putting Jesus in her sentences like 'Jesus will save me from this ghost but the rest of you are going to hell, sorry hehe'.

In the bunny episode the girl looks at the giant demon bunny and says 'I'm sorry but I cannot date you, because you are Black'.

In the Theater episode Leo is doing the play and Satsuki says 'Damn Leo has a big head, he makes Chris Patton look humble' (Chris Patton is the VA for Hajime)

And so on. It's pretty funny but I am constantly reminded of Eric Cartman of SouthPark.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-03-28, 02:51   Link #20
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

As stated, the dub is pretty much a complete rewrite. I'm surprised they didn't rename the characters for the dub, since they rewrote everything else anyways.

The subtitles are still accurate, and the video is unmodified, so you're not forced to watch the version.

Most conspiracy theorists say the dub rewrites were done solely to stir up controversy over the title, so that it would get more attention than it would normally get otherwise.