AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-03, 01:51   Link #261
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakariCritic View Post
But we're treading on dangerous shipping war territory now. Haruhi seems to be taking a backseat in terms of story relevance past volume four.
To be fair, Haruhi seems to be returning to a spotlight with Vol. 9/10... And she's in the forefront of Wandering Shadow, too.

Quote:
I know its because he has to maintain his "mysterious transfer student" role, but c'mon. Kyon's known Koizumi for over a year. There's got to be more about him.
But Kyon doesn't CARE.

If you look at it this way, the story developments make sense. Kyon openly lusts after Mikuru, and later Yuki, a lot more than he does over Haruhi, and he hates all other men.

It's useful to not forget that Kyon is the main character. That means something.
Old 2009-08-04, 03:55   Link #262
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
The light novel was long finished on June 1, 2007 (10th Volume). Baka-Tsuki halt translation project and never got to translate the 10th volume, and didn’t update their Wiki Section regarding the Light Novel.

Ref: http://lsb-on.byethost24.com/?p=971

OTL
That website is made of lies.

I remember an article a year or so ago that was quickly proven to be ridiculously false... don't ever post links from that site again, please.
LOL. I remember that, I just don't remember what the specifics were. That website is laughably made of FAIL and also-FAIL. I've never seen so much contradictory and obviously false "news" outside of the DNC's website. If that's where Sealkid gets all his(?) news, that explains a lot.

Sealkid. For your own betterment, avoid that site like the plague. Sankaku Complex (NSFW) is more newsworthy when it comes to Haruhi, and Artefact actively distorts Haruhi-related news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Others have already shot this down., but I'll pile on it now as well. I've been to Japan since the date given. I went to a Japanese bookstore. I saw all of the Haruhi light novels on display. There was no volume 10. There was no spot for volume 10. Volume 10 has not been released. Please don't post such absurd rumors in the future.
New Haruhi internet meme: "The Volume 10 is a lie."

To be superceded by "The end of Endless Eight is a lie" after Thursday...

Quote:
Although what frustrates the fanbase, myself included, is the total lack of a Koizumi-centered story arc. Mikuru could fill about half a season with her material, Yuki can triple that. Itsuki can't even fill a single episode.

I know its because he has to maintain his "mysterious transfer student" role, but c'mon. Kyon's known Koizumi for over a year. There's got to be more about him.
"The fanbase"? Speak for yourself, foul wretch. Your thinly veiled hate against our Alien Savior and Her cowering apostle betray your allegiances. The accursed esper will have his story, all right... Wherein he is struck down by the Goddess Yuki after he finally betrays The Kyon as we all know he will. Tear up all your slashfics, say 10 Hail Haruhi's, and pray (in The Holy SQL) that our Alien Savior remove those unclean thoughts from your heart, as the forums will soon run red with the bans of the unbelievers. So let it be written...

That's got me thinking... Someone really needs to translate the Lord's Prayer into SQL and change it around so it references Yuki. That would be hilarious. I'm uh—allergic to lightning... so I'll let someone else try it...
Old 2009-08-04, 07:24   Link #263
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
The Kyon

Quote:
That's got me thinking... Someone really needs to translate the Lord's Prayer into SQL and change it around so it references Yuki. That would be hilarious. I'm uh—allergic to lightning... so I'll let someone else try it...
I'm a Christian software engineer and you have given me a project. Damn you!
Old 2009-08-04, 15:29   Link #264
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
@Solachinx & Kaisos Erranon: I'll take note of it. XD

@quigonkenny: probably gets it from KyoAni XD the trolling /b/s
Old 2009-08-04, 23:36   Link #265
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu

Topic change.

"The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato-chan" manga (Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu) came out last month, and a scanlation was recently made of it, which one can find fairly easily through the normal sources (in other words, don't ask on this forum unless you want to raise the ire of the Mod Squad). As the scanlation reveals, and as many had suspected, it is basically a spin-off of Disappearance's Yukiverse (we'll call it the Yukichanverse for ease of distinction). The only apparent difference (beside having a PSP playing Nagato who is slightly closer to Puyo's Haruhi-chan incarnation and would undoubtedly be voiced by Minorin doing her best Mamiko Noto impersonation) is that Kyon either never got a backdoor escape program, never found it, or decided not to use it, and doesn't appear too worried about it anyway. Whether or not he lost his memories of the Haruhiverse is unclear at this point, but he has made no mention of it, and the manga's inner monologue is Yuki's. The manga comes across (in one volume, admittedly) as a shoujo-comedic slice-of-life, with the token bishounen the protagonist dramatically pines after being Kyon.

I'll wait while you all finish laughing.

"Fine and dandy," you say, as you wipe the tears of humor from your eyes, "but why are you talking about it in the Spoilers and Spec thread?" you ask. Well I'm getting to that. During the first chapter, as is customary, we are introduced to nearly all of the players in our story, from the first-year Literary Club members Kyon, Yuki, and Ryoko, to the second-year Calligraphy Club members Tsuruya-san and Mikuru, pretty much as you remember them all (more or less) from Disappearance's Yukiverse. We even see Mori Sonou as the gym teacher in a shout-out to Yuki's eroge from Haruhi-chan. But it's not until the very end of the first chapter that we get our first glimpse of Kouyouen High students Haruhi (who we see only in profile as she walks by) and Itsuki (in shadowed silhouette).

And Yuki recognizes Haruhi...

...Sorta.

It's not a full-fledged "OMG this is a fake universe" realization, instead being a more subtle "That girl is familiar to me and I don't know" why, but it certainly cements the likelihood that, much like the true Yukiverse from Disappearance, the Yukichanverse is not perfectly made, and little bits and pieces of the Haruhiverse have crept over, much as how in the original novel, Ryoko ended up pretty much exactly the same (if she ever had her memories wiped in the first place). As Yuki herself stated in the novel, her ability to take over Haruhi's power was not complete, and had limits that allowed for, among other things, the events of "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" to have still happened.

And so now we have (maybe) a "what if" story with definite ontological roots in the Haruhiverse and Yukiverse that depend on a spoiler-level knowledge of Disappearance, which means I can't exactly discuss it at all in the Spin Offs topic, or really have an open discussion even in the Ontology thread...

So where do you all who have by now downloaded and read this think this manga might go? Is the plot hiccup at the end of the first chapter just an Easter egg for the novel fans, to be ignored for the rest of the series as the KyonxYuki fans get a bland romance to figuratively (I hope) fap to, or will this comedic slice-of-life elevate into a mindfucky "what am I and why am I here" investigation into the secret origins of the Yukichanverse, worthy of the vaguely Eva-esque CM that first introduced us to it? Did Kyon retain his memories? Did Ryoko? Or will they return due to her Humanoid Interface nature? How will this affect the story? Does this setting even have ties back to the "real" Haruhiverse?

Discuss...
Old 2009-08-05, 00:35   Link #266
TakariCritic

tl;dr

But why must you ask so many questions? It requires a lot of work to respond properly...

Quote:
So where do you all who have by now downloaded and read this think this manga might go? Is the plot hiccup at the end of the first chapter just an Easter egg for the novel fans, to be ignored for the rest of the series as the KyonxYuki fans get a bland romance to figuratively (I hope) fap to, or will this comedic slice-of-life elevate into a mindfucky "what am I and why am I here" investigation into the secret origins of the Yukichanverse, worthy of the vaguely Eva-esque CM that first introduced us to it?
I'm under the impression that the chance encounter with Haruhi and Itsuki was no mere hiccup. It probably won't be addressed for some time, but I sense a Chekov's gun.

Quote:
Did Kyon retain his memories?
If Kyon retained his memories, surely he would have reacted to Haruhi and Koizumi as well. Because he did not, we can assume that in this universe, Kyon did not retain his memory, and no veto power was given to him.

Quote:
Did Ryoko? Or will they return due to her Humanoid Interface nature? How will this affect the story? Does this setting even have ties back to the "real" Haruhiverse?
I anticipate that this story will initially not contain any interface-like quirks. Instead, we get a chance to view Yuki as she wanted to be, Kyon without the Brigade's eccentricities to snark at, and a deliciously psychotic Ryoko. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the regular Haruhi-verse begins to sneak back into the storyline. After all, Yuki's mimic of Haruhi's ability only altered memories within that 365 day period.

Since Yuki mimiced Haruhi's power, a power which rewrites reality to your subconcious desires, what this story does is gives us a view on what the author of the manga percieves what Yuki truely wants. So far, I find it a rather entertaining story. (Although Tsuruya wasn't in the Calligraphy club in the book... but then again, neither was Ms Mori a gym teacher.) I look forward to the delicious YukixKyon d'aaaaaaaw moments, and the inevitable fanart that will come from this.
Old 2009-08-05, 00:42   Link #267
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
It is possible that they are going to have a series for the Yuki shippers similar to how special clannad eps were made. But at only one chapter released there's not enough info to make predictions yet.
Old 2009-08-05, 02:50   Link #268
baltakatei

An interesting plot sequence that seems plausible to me (a shot into the dark), given the first chapter released is this:

The Kyon we see in the Yuki-chan version is Kyon if he had never met Haruhi. We'll see a few chapters of how life could have been for Kyon had it just been him and Nagato.

Events are already speeding towards that fateful day in December when Nagato Yuki in the original timeline changes the world. In the Yukichanverse, suddenly the Kyon in this manga story will get his memory synchronized with the original Kyon that we know. Kyon then has to decide which Nagato he appreciates more: this Yuki-chan or the original.

The events in the Yukichanverse then lead into the Disappearance events that occur in the novels, with the 3-day time limit for the Emergency Escape Program. Kyon gets the keys, gathers the SOS団, but ends up not choosing to activate the program. Yukichan wins. Kyon x Yuki fans rejoice.

The only thing that sticks out is why Tsuruya went out of her way to harass Kyon about being with Mikuru. I can't imagine that Kyon's accidental approach of memory-modified Mikuru has occured, since within 48 hours of that event, Kyon found Haruhi and Koizumi. Maybe Arakawa plowed into Kyon with his vehicle just after he realized Haruhi had disappeared, resetting his memory back into the Yukichanverse. =P Maybe this Yukichanverse Kyon has already lamely attempted to approach Mikuru. This would make Tsuruya's powerful disabling blow in the Disappearance novel a lot more plausible since it'd not be his first time in approaching Mikuru.

Also, I'd like to note that when I first read the Disappearance novel, I thought that the people Kyon saw appearing to rescue him were the SOS Brigade members that he had left behind in the Yukichanverse. It made so much sense that a John-Smith-activated Haruhi, Nagato, Koizumi, and Mikuru would find a way to somehow return to the original universe to come to Kyon's rescue after seeing him disappear in front of Yuki's computer after activating the Emergency Escape Program. I'm hoping this manga can give me closure on what happened to these modified SOS Brigade members.
Old 2009-08-05, 03:54   Link #269
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
I'm hoping this manga can give me closure on what happened to these modified SOS Brigade members.
They're dead. Kyon killed them.

He says as much.
Old 2009-08-05, 05:24   Link #270
kniteowl

Since Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu is a manga, shouldn't this be discussed in the Noevel & manga thread or should this get it's own thread, or maybe a manga only thread, since the manga has already covered disappearance from what I know, well at the very least the manga raws.

Anywayz, just reed Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu, all I can say is Tsuruya is AWESOME... I don't ever remember her being this hyper during the series, well there was live a live but she wasn't accusing Kyon of two timing lol.
Old 2009-08-05, 12:00   Link #271
TakariCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Yukichan wins. Kyon x Yuki fans rejoice.
I disagree. I'm a KyonxYuki shipper, and this end wouldn't be KyonxYuki. It'd be KyonxYuki-chan. They are two different (albiet simular) people. To me, it was much more moving to have Kyon chose the original Yuki.
Old 2009-08-06, 01:47   Link #272
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
Since Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu is a manga, shouldn't this be discussed in the Noevel & manga thread or should this get it's own thread, or maybe a manga only thread, since the manga has already covered disappearance from what I know, well at the very least the manga raws.

Anywayz, just reed Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu, all I can say is Tsuruya is AWESOME... I don't ever remember her being this hyper during the series, well there was live a live but she wasn't accusing Kyon of two timing lol.
I stuck it here due to the inherent Disappearance spoilers that would crop up in discussion, which I always prefer to talk about without having to worry about spoiler tags. Can't really do that in the Novel/Manga thread, since the manga hasn't gotten to Disappearance yet (at least not that has been scanlated/released in English). Although if some kind mod wants to whip up a forum that will let us discuss the Yuki-chan manga with (well advertised) free-reign on the Disappearance talk, and designed similarly to the other manga threads on this forum (ie: FMA and Soul Eater, where spoilers are used pretty much only for the current manga chapter, and even then only until most people can be expected to have read it), I'm cool with that.

One great thing about Puyo doing this manga is that you can tell he is in just as much love with Tsuruya-san as eveyone else is, which means you can expect nothing but awesome slathered in awesomesauce from her, until she surprises you by doing something even more awesome.

LOL Fang-tan is God.
Old 2009-08-06, 06:36   Link #273
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
I stuck it here due to the inherent Disappearance spoilers that would crop up in discussion, which I always prefer to talk about without having to worry about spoiler tags. Can't really do that in the Novel/Manga thread, since the manga hasn't gotten to Disappearance yet (at least not that has been scanlated/released in English). Although if some kind mod wants to whip up a forum that will let us discuss the Yuki-chan manga with (well advertised) free-reign on the Disappearance talk, and designed similarly to the other manga threads on this forum (ie: FMA and Soul Eater, where spoilers are used pretty much only for the current manga chapter, and even then only until most people can be expected to have read it), I'm cool with that.
Considering that the novel and manga thread routinely has spoilers for the anime sitting out, since people go back to discussing vol 9 (+ the elusive 10) occasionally, I can't see why this is a problem.
Old 2009-08-07, 04:09   Link #274
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Yeah, but this is Disappearance we're talking about here. Even for those for whom it's not their favorite novel (mine's Volume 7 due to the Tsuruya-san content), everyone has to admit that (besides Melancholy and possibly some elements of Intrigues) it's the only one with any real semblance of a plot, and thus anything that can be really be spoiled. Jury's still out on Volume 9/10.

Let's review:

1. Melancholy - introduction mostly -- a bit of plot that has been mostly ignored since
2. Sigh - they make the movie -- no plot
3. Boredom - short stories -- outside of BLR, no plot
4. Disappearance - self-contained story that builds on previous story and casts a big shadow on later developments -- plot, big time
5. Rampage - short stories -- outside of SMS's effect on the unfinished Volumes 9 & 10, no plot
6. Wavering - more short stories -- outside of MoMA as a lead-in to Volume 7, no plot
7. Intrigues - future hoop-jumping with "Michiru", but Tsuruya-san finds the real prize -- some relevance to Volumes 9 & 10, and maybe beyond, but in and of itself, no real plot
8. Indignation - longish short stories -- no plot
9. Dissociation - part 1 of 2 - possible new SOS-dan member? -- looks to be the next Disappearance in terms of plot, but it's not finished yet...
Old 2009-08-07, 04:38   Link #275
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
You don't need to say spoiler to talke about Yuki-chan. It is only spoiler if someone knows that is spoiler. As far a casual reader know, Yuki-chan is a High School AU.

So we can talk about Yuki-chan on the manga/novel tread or, better, on the spin-off tread.
Old 2009-08-08, 03:46   Link #276
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
You don't need to say spoiler to talke about Yuki-chan. It is only spoiler if someone knows that is spoiler. As far a casual reader know, Yuki-chan is a High School AU.

So we can talk about Yuki-chan on the manga/novel tread or, better, on the spin-off tread.
What's the point of talking about Yuki-chan out of context? Then it's just another boring shoujo-esque slice-of-life. This way it's a comedic sci-fi alternate universe mindfuck masquerading as a boring shoujo-esque slice-of-life. Much better. ^_^
Old 2009-08-08, 03:56   Link #277
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
If it becomes the comedic sci-fi alternate universe mindscrew you want by next issue, then it does. If it doesn't, then it won't be happening. Right now, it's a "boring" shoujo-esque slice-of-life story that happens to use alternate interpretations of characters from a series that heavily features science fiction, so we should be treating it as such.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-08, 06:39   Link #278
Zantetsuken

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I found an interesting thing (for me anyway). Both in the novel and anime version of endless eight, after Koizumi said he will say "I love you" to Haruhi to try solve the time loop, we weren't told / couldn't see what Kyon expression was. What was his expression? Was it shock, or jealousy? Was the the expression the reason Koizumi said he was joking? Or was he joking from the start? Anyway, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Zantetsuken; 2009-08-08 at 07:16.
Old 2009-08-08, 12:07   Link #279
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
We don't know. That's the point. Kyon specifically mentions he doesn't know what his expression was, so KyoAni went with not showing his face.

However, while Koizumi was most likely joking from the start, his laughing was a result of the response he got.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-08, 20:33   Link #280
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
I'm pretty sure he knew what his expression was. He just went into denial mode again. The same could be said about his expression during the end the part-time job scene. He obviously found her expressions during it extremely cute, but denied it by saying (in the novel) that he was too pissed to really notice how he was reacting to her. The anime made it clear that he was enjoying the expressions, though.
Closed Thread