AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-22, 01:06   Link #741
Elvanvitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You go, Athanor. As for the ep itself, well - it's no spoiler to say that the legend of "Gar-o" continues. This isn't a sports anime so much as a Greek hero's odyssey, the tale of a larger than life protagonist taking on the entire world, continent by continent. I will say that the series ventured into some areas that surprised me in ep 2, which some who don't follow American baseball may assume is just stereotyping of ugly Americans. Anyone who follows the history of the game would tell you differently.
Goro is Zeus and will not be stopped. Good to see that even his amazing fastball won't have success at the major league level if that's all he has. Making it somewhat realistic. A ballers on the other hand really don't stand a chance.
Elvanvitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 02:08   Link #742
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Watching Americans speaking Japanese feels better when there is subtitles. That is for sure. Soon, we probably may not even notice the language differences much...

Regarding the opening theme, I have started to change my opinion (maybe partially). It has started to trigger emotions like I get when I listen to the song Poison from GTO live action. Different from what you expect, not feel different the first few times you listen to, but, still capturing you more and more each time you listen to it.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 19:56   Link #743
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Geez goro meets the nicest Americans...So far he's been robbed by a professional scammer and now he's met up with a racist...

I noticed they showed are old Catcher friend in the OP...Does that mean they won't completely forsake the character's back in Japan. That was one of my biggest worries about shifting the story overseas was them throwing away all the old characters that they spent all these seasons letting us get to know...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-22, 20:08   Link #744
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

The audience wants the story to have a hero and the hero must be invincible. I love Major for the fact that he's the badass invincible hero that can not be stopped. He never disappoints.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 00:12   Link #745
r3tro099

I can see how Goro's personality could throw some people off the show but personally i LOVE IT and i think its what makes the show so good ). It would be a real shame if Goro had to switch from just fastballs, i love that about him, wether it be unrealistic or not i want to see him pitching fastballs only on that big majorleague field so we can see everyones :O reactions xD.
I can easily say major is my favorite anime, i just love goro and his courage, spirit and arrogant attitude! Its also really cool we've seen him grow since small .

EP - 3 is pretty good, apparently goro is a lot better than i thought
r3tro099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 01:23   Link #746
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Watching Major requires a little suspension of disbelief - to bring in the mythology aspect again, Goro really is like a character from the Greeks or an Icelandic saga. Baseball just happens to be the modern vehicle for him to complete his journey. Is it likely a Japanese kid fresh out of high school could blow away professional ballplayers - albeit minor league ones - with nothing but fastballs? No - but it wasn't likely like a 10 year-old boy could strike out adult semi-pro players or that Hercules could have completed any of his feats. In Goro's case, it's just close enough to the edge of being possible - and the knowledge of the game of baseball so obvious in the writing - that you want to believe it, and it's a lot of fun to watch.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 18:44   Link #747
ThinkTank

Wow, I just have to say that this show is great, and it is very entertaining. The story has excellent flow. Its kind of strange that the conflict is repeated each season, but there is enough differences between the previous ones it seems fresh and new.

Is it just me or does it seem like this is one of those great animes that just fall through the cracks? (subbing audience)

I'm assuming it must be very popular in japan, since there have been 4 seasons so far.

Well, thats all I have to add to this discussion.

How far does a good fastball go?

Well I'm pretty sure that a combination of good fastball/control will let you dominate high school baseball, and it can get you into the majors, but I don't really think that you would have a chance making into the starting rotation. More than likely, making it as a closer or a set up man would be your role with just a fastball.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 17:25   Link #748
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
I'm assuming it must be very popular in japan, since there have been 4 seasons so far.
Not as popular as Detective Conan, or possibly One Piece, but, yes it is quite popular. And, considering the ratings of the other two shows I mentioned, it is not surprising that it doesn't get enough attention, here.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 18:36   Link #749
thewupk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
How far does a good fastball go?

Well I'm pretty sure that a combination of good fastball/control will let you dominate high school baseball, and it can get you into the majors, but I don't really think that you would have a chance making into the starting rotation. More than likely, making it as a closer or a set up man would be your role with just a fastball.
A 95+ mph fastball with movement (which is what Goro has) will eventually get you into the majors provided you have success in the minors. And such a pitch with good control will be good enough against most players in the minors.

In the majors though it's a different animal. One pitch pitchers are destined for the bullpen. And since he has a fastball that's not straight he should have some success in that role.

To be an effective starter you generally need 3 above average pitches. However some starters have been very good with just two as long as both are very good (Randy Johnson comes to mind) but those are rare.

Goro is obviously going to make the majors as a starter at some point. He's going to have to learn another pitch. I'm not sure which pitch they are going to have him use but a power slider or splitter would be the most ideal since he's a power pitcher.
thewupk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 02:53   Link #750
Athanor

81 SD is released, 81 HD should be soon.

Hope you'll enjoy this episode XD
Athanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 05:47   Link #751
Jarppa

Yeah thanks for ep. It was nice game based one. Next episode looks nicer tho. Hopefully it comes soonish too
Jarppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-01, 10:16   Link #752
thewupk

Nice episode. It's not totally unrealistic for them to bring foreign pitchers directly to their big league camp in spring training, especially those with the ability like Goro. Although most of the ones they do are already in their late 20's.
Old 2008-02-01, 23:51   Link #753
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

But most of them can't throw 100 MPH!
Old 2008-02-02, 04:29   Link #754
thewupk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
But most of them can't throw 100 MPH!
that's true. there have been cases of teenagers being signed and immediately going to the majors. hall of famer Bob Feller comes to mind. but that was 70 years ago. it's just something that is too risky nowadays with players of that talent.
Old 2008-02-02, 12:49   Link #755
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The recently passed Joe Nuxall pitched for the Reds - at 15 years old! Admittedly this was during the war years, of course. His dad worked for the organization and they needed arms, so - one day he was pitching to junior-high kids who weighed 100 pounds, and the next he was pitching to major-leaguers. Needless to say he was terrified, and got lit up pretty good. But he ended up back in the majors 7 or 8 years later and had a pretty good career, going on to become a legendary broadcaster after that.
Old 2008-02-02, 16:05   Link #756
ThinkTank

This show is so great, and ep. 81 was good too. Thank god they got rid of the english speaking, although I wouldn't oppose them if they had used voice actors with american accents. This series really is one of the best sports shows I've ever seen.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 20:47   Link #757
Athanor

81 HD seams to have a sound issue so we'll fix it tommorow. In the meantime you can enjoy 82 SD which just got released XD
Athanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 22:09   Link #758
iwubanime
FMP wubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanor View Post
81 HD seams to have a sound issue so we'll fix it tommorow. In the meantime you can enjoy 82 SD which just got released XD
Awesome! Thanks alot.

However, I don't think he's gonna stay with the Salmons. The ED showed him with some other people (if I remember correctly).
iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 22:16   Link #759
thewupk

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwubanime View Post
Awesome! Thanks alot.

However, I don't think he's gonna stay with the Salmons. The ED showed him with some other people (if I remember correctly).

Spoiler for "goros team:
Old 2008-02-03, 05:13   Link #760
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Wow. I guess the mangaka is following the modern Japanese baseball world very closely because the WBC is such a new tournament.

I doubt they'd play up any opponent other than the US though. I wonder if other huge teams (mainly Cuba and Korea as per the last WBC that gave Japan the most trouble) will be featured at all.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, shounen, sports