AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-08, 16:09   Link #601
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Hmm, I personally wasn't too bothered by the different mood of this episode, and I certainly didn't feel it was overdramatic in the least - certainly not compared to most other anime. That little drama seemed to hit the right note to me, although I do think Daikichi's reaction was exaggerated - he was told that what Rin had wasn't too bad, yet he acted like she was dying (spending the day attending to her and the whole night holding her hand? Man, I wish I had a father who had done half of that for me too).

The scene after the ED makes me hopeful we'll see Daikichi and Yukari's relationship progress in the right direction. Yukari is so perfect it would be a crime for Daikichi to let her slip away.
Old 2011-09-08, 16:20   Link #602
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The scene after the ED makes me hopeful we'll see Daikichi and Yukari's relationship progress in the right direction. Yukari is so perfect it would be a crime for Daikichi to let her slip away.
The hints in this episode are that the last episode is going to go deeper into the Daikichi-Yukari route, which is fine with me if handled well – it seems like a very interesting angle to take, and the scenes of the two parents and their kids together are consistently wonderful. Yukari was certainly a major presence here, helping Daikichi get through a difficult few days – even Kouki showed his responsible side (and how much he cares for Rin). And for his part Daikichi is clearly becoming both more comfortable with Yukari – as witness the hand on the shoulder at the culture festival – and more attached to Kouki, as witness the cheek-pinch and the casual admission that he “doesn’t think of Kouki as just another kid”. In boy-speak that means a lot, and the revelation at the end of the ep that Yukari was bedridden with Rin’s infection implies that Daikichi and Rin will be spending time at the Nitani house helping mother & son cope.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 16:46   Link #603
User68604
Disabled By Request

liked this ep alot, it seems to be getting better every week
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 18:13   Link #604
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Some cute loops.

When I watched this episode, it made me think about my own childhood and of my parents who took care of me when I was sick. It feels like we are given many different things to relate to in this series, whether it is the young adult, the parent, or the child.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 19:20   Link #605
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Lol Daikichi telling them not to do things he did when he was a kid. Nice that he made friends with some other fathers. Poor Rin, even Daikichi freaked out. Good thing Kouki and his mom helped out. Oh man she even got sick now.
Old 2011-09-08, 19:55   Link #606
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Hmm, I personally wasn't too bothered by the different mood of this episode, and I certainly didn't feel it was overdramatic in the least - certainly not compared to most other anime. That little drama seemed to hit the right note to me, although I do think Daikichi's reaction was exaggerated - he was told that what Rin had wasn't too bad, yet he acted like she was dying (spending the day attending to her and the whole night holding her hand? Man, I wish I had a father who had done half of that for me too).

I thought Daikichi's reaction was fine. I mean it's not the flu, but doesn't mean she isn't suffering. Plus the 'it'll be fine' ties into her taking the medicine that he just couldn't get her to take. Plus seeing Rin in such a state for the first time during his 'parenthood' and not a shock he was kind of losing it.

Anyways thought it had some nice moments. The relief when Rin was better though tumbling over was good . Also deepens the connection with Daikichi and Yukari. The next episode probably is about returning the favour for all she did for Rin and himself. Without her help things wouldn't have gone that smoothly.

On a lighter note as well good for Daikichi to pick up some 'father friends'. Good to have a circle of friends in that kind of position after all.
Old 2011-09-08, 21:11   Link #607
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Similar to others I felt this one was a little "off" for me.

But that's probably because I grew up the eldest of six children, so I've played nurse maid dozens of times.

I didn't dislike the episode, probably because I do remember the first time I was alone at home with a sick younger sister and I was worried about what to do. Of course I was 14, while Daikichi is in his 30s, and I didn't freak out quite as badly as he did.

All in all, it's probably my least favorite episode so far. But when a show starts at such a high initial quality, this episode is a case of "good, but not as good as usual" rather then "not good".

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 21:32   Link #608
LKK

I think we should look at Daikichi's actions with an eye to last episode's discussions. (I think it was the last episode.) The scene where his co-workers discussed all the things they've done to protect their children such as the education insurance. Daikichi was already doubting his protective parenting skills before this episode. Now, Rin comes down with a 39+C / 102+F degree temperature and feels miserable. That's an awful lot of guilt-induced pressure for a single parent of less than 1 year's experience to endure. I can understand him freaking out a bit as a result.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 21:36   Link #609
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I have to differ slightly with Guardian Enzo, Sackett, and TinyRedLeaf on this episode, but in fairness to them, I think it touches on a simple basic taste difference between they and myself.

I'm a big fan of drama and suspense. Unless a show has a comedic or zany or "genki girl" edge to it, I also like the drama to be at times heavy. That's probably why I wasn't as fond of Episode 6 (i.e. the tree episode) as many people were, but am more fond of this episode than some people are.

For me, Episode 10 might be the best Usagi Drop episode yet, and that is really saying something.

I say that for the following reasons:

1. One of the potential hurdles faced by this anime was making Daikichi unrealistically good, a Gary Stu basically. This anime had made him just flawed enough through the previous nine episodes to keep him from falling into such a character category, but he has often been close to the edge there, imo. In this episode, with Daikichi finally at a real and precipitous lost on how to handle a parenting difficulty, he's been very firmly secured from becoming a Gary Stu, imo. This in turn...

2. Gave Yukari a chance to shine, and take a leading role in solving a major difficulty. I particularly loved her pep talk to Daikichi, and how she emphasized how important it is for adults to maintain a calm and steady hand when dealing with kids going through nasty trouble spots. Basically, an adult has to be firm for a child in need, because if the adult is perceived as panicking or lacking a sense of what to do, then the child will likely panic as well. The adult has to be the rock that the child depends on, and Yukari conveyed that quite eloquently and effectively. I think this episode was great for Yukari's character, who could at times come off as a bit weak relative to Daikichi prior to this episode.

3. Episode 10 moved us further down a potential Daikichi/Yukari romance route, which I'm wholeheartedly rooting for. Once more, this anime makes it crystal clear how great it would be if Daikichi, Yukai, Rin, and Kouki all become a family together.

4. Having Rin become seriously sick was one of the few notable spots on Daikichi's journey as a parent of a young child, that he had yet to stop at, and so it was great to see him be made to stop at it here in Episode 10. Very late in the anime's airing is also the perfect time for a problem of this nature, as I think its good for an anime to end off on a strong episode or arc that leaves a good final impression.

My next observations are general compliments of the anime as a whole.

Usagi Drop has a impeccable sense of "where to go next", and yet it is not at all predictable. Almost each and every episode is about something new. This has managed to keep Usagi Drop fresh, dynamic, and interesting, on a week-to-week basis, which is honestly almost a pleasant surprise for me.

One concern I had in the back of my mind going into this anime, is that it could descend into saccharine fluff if it just tried to be cute and adorable without throwing up significant new challenges for Daikichi to deal with on a regular basis. This would have been the easy way out for a narrative like this, and that way out could prove very tempting to a writer who didn't want to put in the hard work necessary to craft something truly worthwhile and memorable.

That was another reason why I, at least initially, wasn't as fond of Episode 6 as many were. It raised potential red flags for me, as it made me worry that the 2nd half of the anime might lack the drama and depth that the first half had, and might try to be just about Rin being moe and Daikichi being cool or GAR. Thankfully, this has not been the case whatsoever, which is why I can now say that Episode 6 works perfectly fine as a complimentary lighthearted break in the midst of exquisitely executed life drama.

In other words, Episode 6 now adds to the overall quality of the work in its entirety, making it feel perfectly well-balanced. This narrative is very well-written, and the writer(s) for this work (and its source material) deserve much praise here.

Usagi Drop has truly been a couple cuts above standard slice of life because it doesn't just try to warm your heart, it also tries to engage your mind and make you think, and I really appreciate that.

It is truly an anime that has lived up to its hype, if not exceeded it in some regards.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-09-08 at 21:54.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 22:55   Link #610
Raiga
tl;dr

Aside from the animation looking a little different, I actually really liked this episode. It didn't feel overblown at all, to me. Nothing compares to a parent's worry, especially an inexperienced one like Daikichi, and I'd have been shocked if he reacted any less.

I was choked up quite a lot this episode. Seeing just how much Daikichi really cared for Rin, and Kouki's mom telling him he had to be strong... lots of love, lots of heartwarming. ^^

Can't believe next episode is the last...
Old 2011-09-09, 00:35   Link #611
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh nos Rin is sick. Thank god, this is not a KEY visual novel, so she'll live.

Children are fragile things, and since Rin is fairly mature for her age, she hasn't been too hard to take care of. But hey, illness gets the best of us, and it can be scary when children are sick and you don't know what to do. It's one thing to take care of yourself, but to take care of someone else when you're not completely sure on how they feel can be frustrating. Dakachi's been pretty much living alone til now, so he surely has a handful this time.

The biggest problem is that regardless of remedy, it's gonna take time to recover, but fortunately Yukari knows what to do, but wait she's no longer sick but Yukari's not that well; ah crap...

This is probably one of the biggest hurdles yet. It doesn't seem like that much, but for someone who just started to learn to take care of the child it seems appropriate to make this the last arc for this season.

And so, Usagi Drop makes a good run...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 02:34   Link #612
Wigwams

i really like the piano version of the OP that was being played in the 2nd half of the episode.
Old 2011-09-09, 05:24   Link #613
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

A superb episode in my view.

Shows how deep the bond between Rin and Daikichi is,and the importance or Rin in Daikichi's life. Ironic though, that Rin's sickness gave Daikichi an opportunity to be closer to Kouki's mom, which is a pairing I am rooting for in this series.

Its good to know that Daikichi managed to made 'fellow-father' friends, and he seems to have gotten used to the 'father' role. Seeing how he did not actually deny he was Rin's father when he was introduced.

However, is it just me, or does the artwork seem slightly inconsistent for this episode? The beginning part for example.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 05:50   Link #614
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Oh nos Rin is sick. Thank god, this is not a KEY visual novel, so she'll live.
Ha ha, the same thing occurred to me too,
Spoiler for CLANNAD ~After Story~:

I too, felt that Daikichi's reaction was exaggerated and a plot device. Had the illness been more than a stomach virus I might have bought that but obviously it would be a bit out of place and they wouldn't be able to fit that into one episode. The whole problem was to get her to take the medicine? Seriously? One - the doctor could have prescribed a dosage form more suitable for children, such as a syrup. Two - it is common knowledge that some medicines can and should be mixed with sweet things to make them go down more easily, something a 30 year old should bloody know by now. Three - if a kid doesn't take the medicine, you make her take it, not wallow in despair; it's for her own damn good.
Daikichi is too GAR? Hmm, let's "patch him up". You don't just do that if you ask me.

Other than that, I like where this going, and I liked the episode, minus the forced drama.

Yukari is sick? This is your chance to shine Daikichi, grab it!
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 06:06   Link #615
Sol Falling

lol, I didn't even realize Daikichi's reaction this episode could be classified as drama. True enough I thought it was a bit exaggerated, but it was perfectly believable for his situation and character (lol though that is to say, Daikichi isn't all that strong a character for me in the first place). I think I probably still like episode 7 better, but this episode really was great for giving Yukari's character a chance to shine.

Daikichi obviously gets along with Kouki. Until this episode though, we haven't really had a chance to see the relationship between Yukari and Rin. That's an important link that we needed to see fleshed out for sure, if we will seriously explore the direction of them becoming a family.

Man, next week is the finale already? I gotta admit I've got no idea how it'll go. Is it even possible to give a firm direction to the Yukari plotline? Heh. But yeah, these focus episodes have been a real crowd-pleaser with me, so I will be looking forward to it.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 06:14   Link #616
ookamigirl

Aww Rin is growing up (´・ω・`)
Cultural festival was pretty nice, at least Daikichi got to meet others dad's.
Rin getting sick was really hard for him.. Kouki's mom was helpful m(_ _)m
Really touching episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 08:48   Link #617
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Love this anime. Hope there'll be a 2nd season.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 09:00   Link #618
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Is next episode (ep 11) really the last? I honestly thought that this series will be 26 episodes...

Anyway on ep 10, i found this episode is quite a masterpiece,much better than the previous two (which i already gave 10/10).

I can't understand why you guys think it's overdramatic, because i can clearly see myself sitting in Daikichi's shoes, worry over Rin's sickness the same way he do, wishing that it should have been me facing the cold like he did,and found myself clueless and helpless comparing to a much more mature parent in Kouki's mom.

I guess the personal experiences is quite not the same with all of us. Daikichi is probably like me, resist to most cold and flues. So the sight of how weak and painful Rin turn out would obviously give him the scare. And remember how Daikichi's mom immediately suggested him to call the ambulance, which is something would cross my mind if i was Daikichi (even when some of us may find it ridiculous). But that's how grave the situation seems like from another POV

PS: Rin's face looks really mature in many of the occasions this episode
Old 2011-09-09, 10:37   Link #619
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Is next episode (ep 11) really the last? I honestly thought that this series will be 26 episodes...
This is only gonna be 11 episodes? That would mean they would be mashing a lot of stuff into 11, and most likely no anime specific end....which means there might be a second season.................~_~ hmmmm
Old 2011-09-09, 16:19   Link #620
Jenesay

Another masterful episode. Which brings us up to a total of 10 episodes, which each and every one, blows the hell out of anything I've watched the past seven or eight years.

This really sets a new standard to animes aimed for adults.

It's just like Yukari said, when children are sick, they need someone there for them, caring for them, holding them, talking to them. And since he doesn't really know or can relate to caring for someone, this was quite a shock for Daikichi. There was no unnecessary drama here imo, it was just another piece of reality, amazingly well done.
Jenesay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance