AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-19, 16:52   Link #81
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

It also shows a misunderstanding and a lack of trust from both Ryuji (and in a sense the viewer's part) too.

Reflecting back, has Taiga shown this level of hostility to anyone without rational justification? The answer is an undebateble "no" - sure she is selfish etc, but she has never been this openly hostile to anyone for no good reasons, at all (acting little violent to Ryuji is not the same as the hostility she has towards her father FWIW, and we all know that Ami provokes Taiga first).

Some people would want a certain level of trust from their closest friends in that they don't have to justify to their friends every single actions in every turn, to some people that's what friendship/kindship means, unrequist trust, trust that is build upon a long period of interaction to have the faith to believe the other has a good reason to do what one does without having to spell out the reason. This is what Taiga (and Minorin as well) was expecting from Ryuji, and Ryuji has betrayed Taiga's expectation in him.
Old 2008-12-19, 17:26   Link #82
typhonsentra

The first episode she broke into Ryuuji's home and tried to beat him with a stick. He tried to explain what happened to her but she wasn't listening and ruined his furniture. So yes, she has acted badly without rational justification.
Old 2008-12-19, 17:29   Link #83
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

That was funny though. And Ryuuji had taken her love letter, after all.
Old 2008-12-19, 17:32   Link #84
roan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Taiga's father provides for her out of personal guilt as he choosed his new wife over her.

Material satisfaction does not compensate for real loving parent.
I didn't get the impression of any sincere personal guilt from reading the end of volume 5. If there was any real guilt, you wouldn't get the line

『親子の縁はなにがあっても切れないけど、男女の縁は切れてしまう。だから、切れないようにメンテナンスし ないといけないのは男女の縁の方』

It's more like legal obligation + seeing Taiga as a pet instead of a daughter + he's just used to throwing money around frivously like that.
Old 2008-12-19, 17:34   Link #85
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

So therefore he's simply a complete bastard.

Best dad ever.
Old 2008-12-19, 17:47   Link #86
typhonsentra

For those of you who have read farther into the novels:

Is there any indication of Taiga actually being attracted to Ryuuji? I just can't imagine them ever developing a physical relationship.
Old 2008-12-19, 17:51   Link #87
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post

Is there any indication of Taiga actually being attracted to Ryuuji? I just can't imagine them ever developing a physical relationship.
You probably need to look into the Novel Section, for that answer. Besides their relationship for right now is more like soulmates then any romantic relationship. But things does change.
Old 2008-12-19, 18:01   Link #88
roan

Quote:

typhon, you missed a pretty major scene at the end of volume 4. The anime didn't go into much detail about it, but it was pretty big in the novels.

It's the same deal with the end of volume 5.
Old 2008-12-19, 18:03   Link #89
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
That was funny though. And Ryuuji had taken her love letter, after all.
Yes, but you wouldn't want that to happen to you. It's like, it would be funny to fall down the stairs but if it were you falling down then it's a different story.

Ryuuji I believe isn't at that emotional level with Taiga in the story where he can accept her actions no matter what the situation. They've only known each other for about six months and Taiga hasn't told him anything on a personal level. Taiga is just expecting a little too much from Ryuuji since he basically picks up after her. Minori may be different, but they aren't any close at all and she just have really high expectations for a relationship she doesn't even really know about.
Old 2008-12-19, 18:41   Link #90
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:

Volume 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roan View Post
typhon, you missed a pretty major scene at the end of volume 4. The anime didn't go into much detail about it, but it was pretty big in the novels.

It's the same deal with the end of volume 5.
And this is really why people should finish translating each volume before going on to the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
Yes, but you wouldn't want that to happen to you. It's like, it would be funny to fall down the stairs but if it were you falling down then it's a different story.
And that's why people shouldn't identify too much with what's happening on the screen. It ruins their enjoyment of the show.
Old 2008-12-19, 21:59   Link #91
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
You probably need to look into the Novel Section, for that answer. Besides their relationship for right now is more like soulmates then any romantic relationship. But things does change.
Well it seems like they're going down that path so I was asking since it seems pretty important if they're going to start dating in the series.

And could anyone please tell me some specifics? I don't really care about being spoiled anymore as I already know the general trajectory of the rest of the story anyway.

And about volume 5....
Spoiler:

Last edited by typhonsentra; 2008-12-19 at 22:37.
Old 2008-12-19, 23:29   Link #92
FateAnomaly

I am fine with her treating her father like that if she didn't also took his money. If she want to ignore a person, then do it properly. And she is hostile to other people. The first time Taiga and Ryuuji knock into each other, she punched him. She messed the whole classroom and expect others to clean up after her.
Old 2008-12-20, 00:00   Link #93
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
IThe first time Taiga and Ryuuji knock into each other, she punched him. She messed the whole classroom and expect others to clean up after her.
Both times she had reasons:
* Ryuji knocked into her, and instead of apologising he blurted out her nickname.
* She made a mess because the class was spreading false rumors about her and Ryuji, she didn't actually hit anyone then either.

She still hasn't attacked anyone without some sort of reason or provoking from the other party.
Old 2008-12-20, 00:04   Link #94
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Talking

Quote:
* Ryuji knocked into her, and instead of apologising he blurted out her nickname.
* She made a mess because the class was spreading false rumors about her and Ryuji, she didn't actually hit anyone then either.
She still hasn't attacked anyone without some sort of reason or provoking from the other party.
And those are very sensible, mature reasons for lashing out at people, right?

Old 2008-12-20, 00:07   Link #95
roan

Quote:

Also the second one, it was made clear in the novels and should have been clear to anybody but the blind in the second episode, but that outburst was done for Ryuuji's sake, not hers.

She's immature but not random.
Old 2008-12-20, 00:20   Link #96
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And those are very sensible, mature reasons for lashing out at people, right?
No, and I didn't claim that for a second.

But she does have *reasons* to be hostile, everytime. She's not lashing out for the sake of lashing out, which is my original point.

There's still the point that it takes a lot to make her hold such a big grunge and being extremely hostile for extended periods of time and not forgive. She lashed out at the class, but you don't see her constantly abusing her classmates just because of them spreading some rumors and calling her names do you? You don't see Taiga going berserk when the entire class bets again her to lose in the swimming race. So if you actually try to piece it together, you can deduce that Taiga's father must have done something REALLY BAD to piss her off to that level, which incidentally, Ryuji and some viewers tends to miss.
Old 2008-12-20, 01:27   Link #97
Voitan

Quote:
Reflecting back, has Taiga shown this level of hostility to anyone without rational justification? The answer is an undebateble "no" - sure she is selfish etc, but she has never been this openly hostile to anyone for no good reasons
Wouldn't good reasons imply a level of maturity though? Reasons yes, good? Not always.
Old 2008-12-20, 02:15   Link #98
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitan View Post
Wouldn't good reasons imply a level of maturity though?
No, not at all.

"Getting even" in a lot of cases is based on good reasons, but they are not necessary mature reasons.
Eg. the guy punched me, so I punched him back is a good reason for why I acted out that way, but certainly not a mature reason, and in fact is actually quite childish.
Old 2008-12-20, 03:16   Link #99
Tiran86

Quote:
So if you actually try to piece it together, you can deduce that Taiga's father must have done something REALLY BAD to piss her off to that level, which incidentally, Ryuji and some viewers tends to miss.
I caught that, and its been bugging the hell out of me since they didn't reveal it this episode and the novels haven't even finished volume 4 yet.

The anime's in volume 5 now right?
Old 2008-12-22, 01:01   Link #100
FateAnomaly

Quote:
No, and I didn't claim that for a second.

But she does have *reasons* to be hostile, everytime. She's not lashing out for the sake of lashing out, which is my original point.

There's still the point that it takes a lot to make her hold such a big grunge and being extremely hostile for extended periods of time and not forgive. She lashed out at the class, but you don't see her constantly abusing her classmates just because of them spreading some rumors and calling her names do you? You don't see Taiga going berserk when the entire class bets again her to lose in the swimming race. So if you actually try to piece it together, you can deduce that Taiga's father must have done something REALLY BAD to piss her off to that level, which incidentally, Ryuji and some viewers tends to miss.
I didn't say she lash out for no reason. Only the crazy would lash out for no reason. However, her reasons are extremely minor and the reaction excessive. I wouldn't be surprise if the reason why she hate her father is minor either. Anybody knowing her will not call her nickname in front of her and thats why she don't "abused them everyday".
Closed Thread

Tags
characters