AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-05-25, 13:36   Link #7601
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan View Post
How is it that the Witch-Hunt can offer downloads of the main games? Would offering the other TIPS (or even other games like Higanbana) be considered?
Witch Hunt don't offer downloads of games themselves. They asked 07th Expansion and Hobibox if the games could be made available as downloads, which is why the games can be downloaded from Hobibox's website.

I don't see why Tsubasa and Hane couldn't be made available as downloads. They're probably not available yet due to the former not having a complete translation, and the latter having only recently been translated.

As for Higanbana, our group are discussing this with 07th Expansion, so hopefully we can get something in place soon.
Old 2012-05-26, 05:28   Link #7602
RivalNightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
New units are usually manufactured for each Comiket, so retailers should have more stock at around C82 in August.
Oh sweet, maybe Mandarake will get some in stock...
RivalNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 20:19   Link #7603
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
I've recently been fiddling around with the files for Umineko as I've been playing with ONScripter a bit recently, and after doing so I wondered about a couple of choices that Witch Hunt made in their translations. Don't get me wrong, its not like I think they are mistakes or anything, I'm just curious as to some of the decisions you guys made.

For instance, one thats been bugging me for a while was, why was Beatrice's title translated as 'Endless Witch' and not 'Witch of Eternity?' Personally I would have leaned toward the second because it fits the pattern of the other witches in the series (Witch of Miracles, Witch of Certainty, Witch of Origins, Witch of Resurrection, Witch of Truth...Endless Witch?) I figure that it was probably done like that since the other witches didn't really factor in to Episode 1, and so there was no pattern to maintain, and no reason to change it in subsequent patches because it would break continuity within the translation itself? I dunno, just figured I'd bring it up since I was already here lol.

My second question which I came across when I was looking at the sprite files in the game, I noticed that Krauss' files are labled as 'KLA' in the file directory. Is there any reason why his name was translated as Krauss and not...Klauss? I figure the second was a more common name, since I've never heard of anyone named Krauss outside of Umineko, so I was wondering what led to the decision to name him Krauss instead.

Again, not like I think any of these are mistakes or anything, but I was just curious as to why you guys made the decisions you did
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 20:39   Link #7604
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Well "mugen" doesn't really translate well as "eternity", that would be "eien". At best it could have been translated as "infinite". I suppose that Chronotrig chose to go with a literal translation rather than a stylish one, for possible implications in theory making.

As for the labels, they aren't really reliable and I think the official transliteration of 蔵臼 is indeed Krauss.
There are examples that are quite blatant like:

Battler -> BUT
Clair -> CUR

Those are just lables for the people working on the script to use, they aren't meant to be used as reference for official romanizations.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 20:43   Link #7605
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
ahh I see. I have always seen Eien no Majo in the Japanese derivitives I've read, but if it was Mugen no Majo then that would be much more understandable.

(I say that but I can't remember where I've seen Eien....Ougon maybe? I dunno anymore lol)
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 21:43   Link #7606
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Eien no Majo? I can say for (almost) sure that I never heard this, at least not in Umineko.

And since we are talking about romanization of japanese names... it is never constant. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who romanizes シエスタ as Chiester instead of Siesta.
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 22:31   Link #7607
Leafsnail

Ougon romanizes it as Chiester, so you're hardly alone.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-26, 23:17   Link #7608
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

I meant in the fandom. Pretty much 90% of the fans prefer Siesta over Chiester, and so I feel "alone" sometimes. Heck, I already found someone who uses Siesta only because nearly everyone uses it, despite knowing that Chiester actually makes sense.
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 07:28   Link #7609
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The fans are kinda split in half on the issue, and Witch Hunt never took an official position on the matter I think.

On the wikipedia's character list the bunnygirls' names were changed to Siesta and Chiester back and forth at least 10 times before it settled down to Chiester.

For Witches & Woodlands I used Chiester, but they are barely mentioned.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 08:02   Link #7610
Drifloon

Well, I assume everyone uses Siesta because it's what the translation uses.

I wonder why they never changed it to the official version.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 11:00   Link #7611
verona230

What TIPS are not translated in the Tsubasa patch?
verona230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 15:46   Link #7612
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
I meant in the fandom. Pretty much 90% of the fans prefer Siesta over Chiester, and so I feel "alone" sometimes. Heck, I already found someone who uses Siesta only because nearly everyone uses it, despite knowing that Chiester actually makes sense.
Witch Hunt's translation uses "Siesta", so everyone called them that until the official transliteration was revealed. I hope WH change their patches at some stage to reflect this…
Old 2012-05-27, 17:58   Link #7613
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Personally I'm of conflicted feelings on the Siesta/Chiester issue. Siesta sounds better to me, but Chiester makes more sense in terms of the story.
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 21:09   Link #7614
Albert-Chamomile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKey View Post
Here we are!

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Hane English Patch - you can download it from Mediafire or (soon) from our website.
There's also an Italian version available, if you prefer so.
Install it as you always have with WH's manual patch, or just read the readme.

This is a Windows-only patch. I wanted to do a OSX version too but I had some problems, I'm sorry. If you find any errors, please send them to our email address! (included in the readme).

Special thanks to LyricalAura, which kindly let us use the translation for Jessica and the Killer Electric Fan, and the to me unknown translator of Forgery N.XXX on the wiki!
Oh yeah! You're amazing!

This remind me a question. Is anyone actually working on a Ougon patch?

And one more thing. Are the rest of the Tsubasa tips, that aren't in the partial patch, translated somewhere, in .txt or something??
Albert-Chamomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 08:14   Link #7615
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert-Chamomile View Post
Is anyone actually working on a Ougon patch?
Unfortunately not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert-Chamomile View Post
Are the rest of the Tsubasa tips, that aren't in the partial patch, translated somewhere, in .txt or something??
As far as I know, all the TIPS which have been translated are included in the partial patch.
Old 2012-05-28, 11:12   Link #7616
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Siesta/Chiester case was basically dragged because we didn't feel like bugging again about that matter (that and we were focused on something else). That said, we got confirmation it is Chiester, so we will probably update at some point (although I must admit, the prospect of replacing all siesta mention sounds tedious already).
Old 2012-05-28, 11:20   Link #7617
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Siesta/Chiester case was basically dragged because we didn't feel like bugging again about that matter (that and we were focused on something else). That said, we got confirmation it is Chiester, so we will probably update at some point (although I must admit, the prospect of replacing all siesta mention sounds tedious already).
Find & Replace: "Siesta" --> "Chiester"

Should do the trick, I'd imagine…
Old 2012-05-28, 11:23   Link #7618
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I was actually referring to all pictures. Nothing difficult with the PSD, but since it would require changing all of them, well you get the idea.
Old 2012-05-28, 11:48   Link #7619
Ouverture
Golden Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyoronyolo View Post
Last year they had some technical fails and couldn't host one but if nothing goes wrong this year, there *should* -and I hope that there will- be one (especially with Ryukishi07 being present ).
i am platinum mad
Ouverture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 15:54   Link #7620
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivalNightmare View Post
Oh, @RedKey, do you accept people sending in E-mails/writing it down for all grammatical mistakes?
Sure do! Please, go right ahead.
Sorry for the delay in the answer, but I've just come back too - will go through the corrections in the next few days once I get some sleep
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation