AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-04-06, 02:27   Link #1
LK_LoA

Tokyo Anime Fair

Tokyo Anime Fair was held on Friday, 26th March. There was an award
ceremony. (English Source: Natsume Maya)
Animation of the year: Gundam Seed
Best TV anime: Astroboy, Gundam Seed, Hagane no Renkinjutsushi (Full
Metal Alchemist)
Best movie anime: Tokyo Godfathers, Nasu ~ Andulusia no Natsu
(Eggplant ~ Andulusian Summer)
Best OVA: Animatrix (special edition), Macross Zero
Best foreign movie anime: Lilo and Stitch
Best director: Kon Satoshi
Best script: Aikawa Shou
Best background art: Ike Nobutaka
Best character design: Hirai Hisashi
Best seiyuu: Paku Romi
Best music: Kanno Youko

There was a chance for the anime yet to be showned to display there
wares as shown below:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20040326/taf.htm
Check on the thumbnails for bigger pictures.

Here are the photos taken from TAF.
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...0326/tafXX.jpg
where XX= 01 to 42.
I recommend FMA stand, the ROD TV san shimai and Shonen Bat. That
portable DVD(?)-player looks sweet. Check out the Totoro balloon in
06. ^^
01 ~ TAF signs and admission fee
02 ~ Watching booths with headphones
03 ~ Mini-video player in operation
04 ~ Mini-video player control panel
05 ~ Mini-video player semi-closed
06 ~ The stands
07-15 ~ Tokyo Anime Award Ceremony
16 ~ Cutie Honey cosplay and poster
17 ~ Big-screen
18 ~ Cutie Honey: the Evolution
19 ~ Cutie Honey 1/1 scale figurine
20 ~ Inside the Cutie Honey stand
21 ~ Steam Boy stand
22 ~ Steam Cycle
23 ~ Steam Ball
24 ~ Steam Boy video booth
25 ~ Howl's Moving Castle
26 ~ East meets West house
27 ~ Innocence dolls
28 ~ Matoko's GITS:SAC costume
29 ~ Framed paintings
30 ~ Kill Bill
31 ~ Full Metal Alchemist stand
32 ~ ROD TV san shimai
33 ~ Petite Cossette
34 ~ Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu poster
35 ~ Arusu figurines
36 ~ Shonen Bat
37 ~ Koi Kaze?
38 ~ Kono miniku mo utsukushii seikai
39 ~ Photoshop colouring tutorial?
40 ~ Gundam
41 ~ Anime runner Kurumichan
42 ~ Midori no Hibi
LK_LoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 09:14   Link #2
jennwenn

I really want to see Nasu ~ Andulusia no Natsu (Eggplant ~ Andulusian Summer). The director used to work at Ghibli, and it shows. The movie is about cycling in Spain.

http://www.nasu-summer.com/

I also need to see Astro Boy, the only reason to watch KidsWB heh.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 12:00   Link #3
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Hirai Hisashi? which series did he do btw?
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 07:10   Link #4
Guncannon

Thumbs up Tokyo Anime Fair 2007. Lots of up and coming anime.

The Tokyo Anime Fair 2007 is being held this weekend in Tokyo.
Coverage at Danny Choo's site.
http://www.dannychoo.com/blogg_post/eng/793/
Very much looking forward to the second series of Zero no Tsukaima. Louise is so cute!
Guncannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 08:22   Link #5
eggplant
Eggplant

Went yesterday (Day 1) to check out the booths and receive freebies (pretty heavy load if you plan on taking everything they give you).
Will go tomorrow (Saturday) and Sunday to check out the stage events. Plan to line up before 8AM, but may not be able to get the voucher for the CLANNAD stage.

Here is an updated list of the stage events:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=157

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 11:04   Link #6
Lost

Looking at Dannychoo's site; and wow, fantastic, they had a replica of Takeru's bike!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 09:45   Link #7
eggplant
Eggplant

Stage Report for March 24

Came back from the first public day, fatigued from standing and walking all day.
I'll concisely make notes of the stage events I witnessed today, whether it be close-up or from yonder.

First of all, I lined up at Tokyo Big Sight on 8AM, and despite queuing, failed to obtain the vouchers for CLANNAD, Hayate no Gotoku!, and Jigoku Shoujo.

10:15-11:00 Main Stage  Radio Pony Canyon Syle Maru Navi?
I could have entered the venue via a proprietary entrance, but since I queued for vouchers, the event was already in progress by the time I arrived. This was a live recroding of the radio show hosted by Kawasumi Ayako and Noto Mamiko. The guest was Nakahara Mai, where they discussed the upcoming anime CLANNAD (nothing noteworthy). Being a radio program, they routinely covered all the corners. Since the main stage was spacious, I could barely make out the seiyuus by the naked eye, yet the stage was a full house, indicative of their popularity.

11:00-11:40 Broccoli/Good Smile Company Booth  Galaxy Angel Rune Talkshow & Live
Had a pretty good view of the stage, starring the Rune Angel Tai (Inamura Yuuna, Hanamura Satomi, Akesaka Satomi, Hirano Aya, Nakayama Erina), singer Satou Hiromi, and Broccoli Chariman Kitani. Aya was 20 minutes late due to her work schedule. The talk session consisted of the Rune Angel Tai's upcoming live concert (produced by Satou Hiromi). There also was an event, where for some reason, they measured the girls' grip strength, won by Erina (Lily C. Sherbet). They ended the show with the singing of the Galaxy Angel Rune opening song, "Uchuuu de Koi wa Rurun Rune". The Angel Tai seiyuus are all young and photogenic, and definitely a hit with the audience, who were quite excited and responsive. Too bad Kitani had to ruin it with his incessant blabbering, even after the girls left the stage, forcing me to stay put for an extra 10 minutes.

12:00-12:30 Konami Booth  Sky Girls Talkshow
Secured a good position here as well. Guests consisted of Kawasumi Ayako, Gotou Saori, Itou Shizuka, Tsuji Ayumi, and Producer Kumasaka Shougo. The TV anime (date not announced) will be done by the same team who did the OVA. Production is still under way, and the seiyuus have yet to commence dubbing duties. Tsuji Ayumi will play the new Sky Girl, Elise, and the producer mentioned that each girl will have their respective mechanics (Simoun?), including a twin bishoujo. The seiyuus discussed their hopes for the new anime series. Once again, a group of pretty ladies, especially Gotou Saori who cut her hair short. I think Sky Girls will replace Saint October from summer.

12:30-1:00 Aniplex Booth  Hidamari Sketch -Chiisana Hidamatsuri-
This was a small scale version of the Hidamatsuri event that was held in February (which I also attended), featuring Asumi Kana (Asumin), who plays Yuno. I was late to arrive at the stage, but still managed to secure a good shot of Asumin, who was cute and talkative as usual. The show consisted of a selection of the top 5 scenes from Hidamari, which the MC and Asumin talked of. The second half was a make-up test from Hidamatsuri, where the cast had to draw pictures of the topic at hand. Asumin drew Ume-sensei and Evangelion, once again unrecognizable beyond belief. The highlight of the show was when she sang a verse of the proper version of "Yume Glider", the song she sang at the karaoke scene.

1:15-1:30 SkyPerfecTV Booth  Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Stage
Totally messed up the time (thought it was 1:30), thereby missing SNoW's live performance. Guests Noto Mamiko and Matsukaze Masaya discussed about the series. Being late for the stage, I only had a glimpse of the guests.

2:00-2:30 Avex Booth  Lovedol Talkshow
Absolute mayhem. Cramming 150 people (who payed 2000 yen in purchase of goods) into a space of approximately 40 square meters, plus hordes of onlookers behind them. I could hardly see the 6 Lovedol girls (Nogawa Sakura, Gotou Yuuko, Nakahara Mai, Chihara Minori, Momoi Haruko, Sakai Kanako), who were all dressed in pink (they performed at the Avex main stage which I didn't get to see). Felt really sorry for the people who paid good money but couldn't see the girls (no need to comment on their looks... are we following a pattern?). The show consisted of a talk session regarding the anime Lovedol, and the upcoming DVD Vol. 7 which contains the unaired episode 13. I suppose this was a good closure for Lovedol, since I'm not expecting anything more from this title. Hm, the director is going to do School Days, not a good sign...

3:00-3:30 Pony Canyon Booth  CLANNAD Talkshow
Missed out on voucher, so I made sure to secure a good place to view from. Guests were Nakahara Mai, Noto Mamiko, and Producer Nakamura. TV anime production has yet to commence (excluding the preview), and so is the voice dubbing, therefore the guests discussed about their hopes for the upcoming anime (no details given out, however Producer Nakamura mentioned that both Nagisa and Fuuko routes will be made). Talk extended to their dubbing work when they did the PS2 game, and how it was quite extensive, implying that the anime may be long as well.

4:00-4:30 Pony Canyon Booth  Kamichama Karin Talkshow
Obtained a voucher for this stage, saw guests Nakahara Mai, Sawashiro Miyuki, Shitaya Noriko, and Asanuma Shintarou up close. Aired a special opening anime of the song by Ali Project. Seems that the cast were quite elated when they heard they were chosen for their roles, probably because this is based on a popular shoujo manga, something that can potentially boost their careers. Four episodes have already been recorded, and seems like they're having fun.

5:00-5:30 Pony Canyon Booth  Winter Garden Talkshow
Got a voucher for this as well, close-up view of guests Sanada Asami, Sawashiro Miyuki, and Director Sakurai Hiroaki. Basically a talk session between the guests to promote the DVD to be released on April 18th. Since the threesome go way back, to the two seiyuu's roots, they mentioned how fun it was to do Winter Garden. Director Sakurai mentioned that he specifically had the two ladies in mind when creating the plotline.

5:30-6:00 Stage II  Hayate no Gotoku! Stage
Missed out on the voucher for this. Saw the stage from way beyond, only able to catch guests Shiraishi Ryouko, Kugimiya Rie, Tanaka Rie, and Director Kawaguchi Keiichirou on the monitor. Unannounced guest Itou Shizuka also made an appearance (once again, the ladies were lovely). Saw the opening sequence, the song by Kotoko is superb. Otherwise, it was practically impossible to pick up the audio.

This concludes the stage report for Saturday. Dead exhausted from all this, but I'm going to do the same for tomorrow as well.

Old 2007-03-25, 11:25   Link #8
eggplant
Eggplant

Stage Report for March 25

Horrendous weather in Tokyo from early morning, a downpour with gusting winds. On the other hand, this weather played to my favor as well, as the waiting line was definitely shorter than yesterday.

10:30-11:00 Main Stage  Radio Ikki Tousen Dragon Destiny Live Recording Stage
This was a live recording event of the Ikki Tousen DD radio show. The thing is, host and star Asano Masumi (Hakufu) cancelled her appearance due to the flu, so Nabatame Hitomi (Kanu) had to carry the emcee duties all by herself. Luckily, guests Chihara Minori (Chouhi) and Kadowaki Mai (Shokatsuryou) helped her out. Aside from the radio program, the event was a promotional effort by Media Factory and Genco for the anime, which makes its terrestrial debut in April (already airing on the satellite station AT-X). Gankou Mai also made an appearance, singing the opening song "HEART & SOUL". To tell the truth, I don't think this show is appropriate to show in public where children are present (being the first event stage, I don't blame their parents for being oblivious).

11:00-11:30 Stage II  Saint October Stage
The stage featured the three protagonists, Kataoka Azuka (Kotono = Kurololi), Fukui Yukari (Natsuki = Shirololi), and Kobayashi Yuu (Misaki = Akaloli). The stage was moderated by Kawamoto Naru (Koushirou) and also included Director Satou Masafumi. The show consisted of comments by the guests, which went from one issue to another, as the two girls on the side were within their own world, either straying from the topic altogether, or being distracted by the slightest thing that moved. Kawamoto Naru, originally a comedian, cracked up the crowd with his tsukkomi. Director Satou mentioned that Saint October was initially intended to be an occult anime, but got toned down (no, it was never meant for kids, just as Akazukin wasn't). The show ended with the three girls (Gothloli Tanteidan) singing and dancing the opening song "Wheel of fortune", to the delight of the fans. Director Satou said that the second half of the anime will enter a new phase.

11:30-11:50 Broccoli Booth  Tomita Maho Live
Had some idle time, so checked out the anime singer Tomita Maho's stage. Although many of her songs are catchy (Kamichu!, Galaxy Ange Rune, Mamoru-kun, etc.), I don't consider her to be a good singer, and it showed in her performance. She could hardly hit the high notes after the 4th song, where her staff abruptly ended it after 20 minutes, to the chagrin of her fans (hey, the front row audience paid good money and braved the weather to obtain the seats).

12:00-12:30 Pony Canyon Booth  Venus Versus Virus Stage
Guests included Takagaki Ayahi (Lucia, the first live event of her career), Chihara Minori (Sumire), Tsuji Ayumi (Laura), and singer Riryka. The show basically consisted of interviews with the cast, but it also featured an a cappella rendition of Laura's Chocolate Cake song, and Sunmire's berserker mode line. Riryka impressed me with her singing of the opening song "Bravin' Bad Brew".

12:30-1:00 Avex Booth  Seto no Hanayome Stage
Guests for the upcoming anime were Momoi Haruko (Seto San, the heroine), Nogawa Sakura (Ruri), and Mizushima Takahiro (Nagasumi). Saw the opening clip sung by the two female seiyuus. I have never read the manga, so I can't compare it to the anime version, but I have high hopes for this show led by Momoii, her first leading role since Popotan (not inlcuding the OVAs Nurse Witch Komugi-chan series and Tsukune-chan). Nogawa Sakura doesn't appear until Episode 7, but this is a TV Tokyo x Gonzo show, meaning it's at least 25 epsiodes long.

1:00-1:30 Konami Booth  Tokimeki Memorial Only Love Stage
This event was actually a live audio commentary recording for the DVD Episode 23. Guests were Miyano Mamoru (Riku), Makishima Yuki (Sayuri), Yoshikawa Yukako (Tsukasa), Fujita Saki (Mina), and Director Takamoto Nobuhiro. Mamoru controlled the flow with his humor, allowing everyone to comment on topics pertaining to the episode at hand. Yuki mentioned that she is similar to Sayuri, in the way she can't express her romantic feelings. The audience chanted the title for the eyecatch. Due to Mamoru's presence, there were many fan girls in the audience, signifying his popularity. Too bad the Konami stages don't conduct singing, as I would have loved to hear the cast sing the songs.

1:30-2:00 Avex Booth  Touka Gettan Stage
This is the upcoming anime, basically produced by the same staff as Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito. Guests were Ise Mariya, newcomer Hayami Saori, Kitamura Eri, and Kobayashi Yuu. They showed both the opening and ending clips. This show will only be aired on 3 stations, so the limited exposure may hurt, but I enjoyed Yamibou, so another ROOT/Orbit game adaptation can't hurt.

3:00-3:30 Pony Canyon Booth  Kanon Stage
Guest was Satou Akemi (Shiori). This was only her first live event appearance, and first for Kanon. As the stage area filled with diehard male fans, she seemed nervous and out of place. However, the Kanon fans were appreciative of her job, and the interview went smoothly. I got to hear some of Shiori's trademark lines, inlcuding the "I hate people who say such things", definitely a hit for me.

3:45-4:15 Toei Animation Booth  Giniro no Olynssis, Binbou Shimai Monogatari, Kamisama Kaozku Stage
This was a collboration of the three Toei titles, featuring the singers of the respective anime, CHiYO (Olynssis OP), seiyuu Sakai Kanako (Binbou Shimai ED), Mizuhashi Mai (Kamisama Kazoku OP) , and Miraku (Mizuhashi Mai + Kudou Mayu) (Kamisama Kazoku ED). I was craving for some music, so this stage was a hit for me, especially the Kamisama Kazoku songs and performance.

4:00-5:30 Main Stage  Seiyuu Awards Stage
Akready in progress when I saw it, featured winners of the recently held inaugural Seiyuu Awards. Guests were Park Romi, Koshimizu Ami, Hirano Aya, Kano Yui, and Kakihara Tetsuya. Basically, this was a recap of the award presentation, to which the seiyuu added commetns. You could tell that Aya and Ami are close friends to each other, and Park Romi is friends with about everyone.

So, this conlcudes the Sunday entry. Generally speaking, the stages were organized efficiently, with great guests. There was a lot of overlapping going on, but I'm not to complain. My overall impression was that the female seiyuus that appeared on stage were all good looking, which may or may not be a good thing. Sure, a pretty face may be something worth watching, but I hope that it doesn't become the case where talented seiyuus who are not as photogenic are passed over just by their looks.

I'll be attending the Gonzo Festa next Saturday to check out the new Gonzo shows, which I'll report as well.

Old 2009-02-20, 02:10   Link #9
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Tokyo Anime Fair Awards 2008 Results

In before other people get too much of a chance to complain about it, here are the results of the 8th annual Tokyo Anime Fair Awards:

Best Director
Hayao Miyazaki
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Best TV
Shoji Kawamori
Macross Frontier

Goro Taniguchi
Code Geass R2

Best OVA
Hiroshi Nagahama
Detroit Metal City

Best Overseas
Kung Fu Panda

Best Original Story
Hayao Miyazaki

Best Screenplay
Ichiro Okouchi
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2

Best Art Direction
Noboru Yoshida

Best Character Design

Tetsuya Nishio
The Sky Crawlers

Best Voice Actor

Jun Fukuyama
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2

Best Music

Yoko Kanno
Macross Frontier

Source: ANN

Now obviously these are this organizations awards and not mine and I have little reason to worry or care too much about one or the other, but I'm sure this is going to make a lot of people freak out in which case I wholly encourage people to make their own awards. Keeping in mind that the award was given for "Greatest contribution to the world of anime in a given category" and not necessarily as a measure of overall quality, everyone feel free to share what you think regardless. I hope I'm not setting up a minefield in sharing this.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 12:00   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

"Greatest contribution" in this context seems to mean sales revenues as much as artistry, but that's only to be expected in awards from industry groups. Their incentives are clear.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-02-20 at 17:49. Reason: Somehow I pasted the wrong link; this one is correct.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 12:33   Link #11
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I haven't watch lot of new animes but Code Geass R2 winning the award for screenplay is just little off for me, I would think there would be animes that had better writing then R2.
edit: ok so it was awarded how much it contributed in sales, then I guess it kinda makes sense.
Old 2009-02-20, 13:07   Link #12
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, at least Studio Ghibli got a good chunk of the awards through Hayao Miyazaki's new brain child. Yay for the old school.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 14:39   Link #13
james0246

Damn Kung Fu Panda beat Wall-E...I guess that makes sense, Wall-E never did as well in Japan as many American analysts thought it would.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 15:10   Link #14
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
I can agree with the list.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 15:44   Link #15
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Damn Kung Fu Panda beat Wall-E...I guess that makes sense, Wall-E never did as well in Japan as many American analysts thought it would.
I went to this international competition in China last year, and while doing idle chat with one of the Chinese participants she told me that Kung Fu Panda was one movie that was quite well received on the East, because for once they saw a Western movie that actually got the majority of the Eastern ideas and ways of thinking it uses right, so it was like a novelty for them.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 19:28   Link #16
Xander

The meaning of "greatest contribution" in each of the categories is very debatable, although the news article doesn't elaborate, so assuming it's exclusively about sales is only an assumption, not a clear requirement specified by the award givers, except if it's pointed out in another place.

That link SeijiSensei posted is just the list of sales numbers, nothing official about these awards.

Remember that not all movies or actors win Oscars because they are objectively the best of the best (or at least better than the other nominees), so this isn't much different. Lots of factors are involved, including popularity or sales yes, but also different opinions, and controversy is natural.

I or anyone else would have handled these awards differently, but saying this is almost unnecessary.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 07:27   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I really didn't expect to be taken so literally, so let me be more explicit. I don't think that the awards were determined by sales; rather that the award givers are no doubt sensitive to "box-office" success. Macross and Geass outsold the third-ranked DVD, Clannad After Story, by a factor of three. If nothing else, that says the programs receiving awards were among the most-popular shows in 2008. I'm sure the judges were aware of that as well. As for Miyazaki, he's achieved iconic status, and his films like Spirited Away rank at or near the top of the all-time list for Japanese box-office receipts. No one, least of all me, would question his artistic ability, but his proven ability to put people in theater seats can't have hurt his prospects for getting yet another award.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 09:52   Link #18
sa547
*Author

I wasn't surprised at all for Miyazaki scoring more due to high universal respect for his work -- it has been a pattern for years, there's no more doubting either -- and it serves as a wake-up call to some studios to get back to basics, and start thinking out of the box.
Old 2009-02-21, 22:16   Link #19
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I wasn't surprised at all for Miyazaki scoring more due to high universal respect for his work -- it has been a pattern for years, there's no more doubting either -- and it serves as a wake-up call to some studios to get back to basics, and start thinking out of the box.
There just need to be more original works. It's hard to compete with some of these winners when the anime industry is stuck in the habit of making adaptations, remakes and sequels.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 22:29   Link #20
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Hell yes, Macross Frontier!

I can agree with CG R2 getting the Best Voice Actor award, but Best Screenplay? I won't go into the whole trainwreck, but about a third of the season was pretty painful in terms of plot.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote