AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-15, 03:38   Link #681
Vicious108

15 was quite good.

I never liked how easily Tompa got taken care of after all his build up and prominence in the previous phases, but oh well.

Also, it's weird hearing "Gittarackur" actually being voiced by a guy after his voice in the original anime.

Next episode has the potential to be the best one yet, though I'm hesitant to anticipate it all that much since who knows how they'll handle Hisoka in it, given the new characterisation they announced for his character and the way it showed in episode 5. We'll see.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 09:16   Link #682
rinichan

what the they showed Gittaracku face? I dont remember well if they did this to 99 well, did they?
so it was in the manga....
rinichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 10:59   Link #683
ookamigirl

Leorio sure got duped pretty easily.
It was funny watching him all mad.
Hisoka is really impressive with his fighting technique.
He and Killua are totally the strongest.
The needles guy was pretty surprising.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 12:44   Link #684
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Like how Gon used the butterflies to find Hisoka. He almost got found out, but luckily some other guy showed up. Looks like his best chance will be coming up next ep, but i wonder what he'll think when he finds out Hisoka's target. Gon really hasn't thought about going the other route to get 6 points, might be easier then trying t get Hisoka's tag.

Leorio is so stupid. GLad Kurapika showed up to help him. So now either Leorio has to find to more tags or just get his target's tag. Doubt Killua will have any problems, especially since someone is already within his grasp. Was wondering why Hisoka's friend had those needles in his face, like the reason, but i still wonder why.
Old 2012-01-15, 12:48   Link #685
Kallen4life

Should I start with the old anime or this ?
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 15:39   Link #686
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
This one is remake (like Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood).
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 15:51   Link #687
Kallen4life

but as far as I know the first anime is still manga-canon

Any sense watching it now ?
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 16:03   Link #688
Vicious108

Yes, because it's still a great series. And though it's definitely manga-canon it does have more filler than the current adaptation. However, said filler is usually surprisingly good and well implemented so most likely you won't even be able to tell it's filler most of the time unless you've read the manga beforehand.

I recommend watching it now, especially since it's finished (granted it doesn't complete the story since the manga is still on-going) with roughly over 90 episodes or so, while the 2011 anime is still only 15 episodes in.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 16:07   Link #689
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

Quote:
but as far as I know the first anime is still manga-canon

Any sense watching it now ?
The new anime seems to be a bit more faithful to the manga than it was in the original, though taking liberties here and there (with for some reason, removing the whole thing surrounding Kite and Gon's meeting). The pacing is also a bit better than the original series, where in the original, it really only adapted one chapter per episode (and I think in some cases, less) up until a certain point. The pacing in the adaption didn't really get better until York Shin... Atleast, that's what I thought, anyways. That, and the old adaption (plus OVAs) only covered up until the end of Greed Island. Though, it will be awhile before we see this adaption get to the point of the OVAs, provided it makes it that far.

So really, this is totally up to you.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 16:35   Link #690
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Was wondering why Hisoka's friend had those needles in his face, like the reason, but i still wonder why.
Hmm, you seem to be under a misconception - Hisoka doesn't have friends

Quote:
I am kind of enjoying this, but I thought the original was better and would highly recommend it. Honestly, I think the only advantage of the new series is high definition, so I'm mainly watching it in hopes that it continues past the point where the first series left off.

They are not that different, and I can't really say that the original is strictly better, but I did enjoy it more. However, a lot of the enjoyment came from the surprise factor, like when a certain assassin rips someone's still-beating-heart out. It really gave me the impression of a kiddy anime until people started dying in droves.
Old 2012-01-15, 18:09   Link #691
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Doing three comparisons today. Here's the first one--Episode 12.
Spoiler for Hunter x Hunter Episode 12 Comparison:
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 20:54   Link #692
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
Hmm, you seem to be under a misconception - Hisoka doesn't have friends
That's true but i don't know the character's name. If it's been said before then i probably missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Thanks again for doing these comparisons
Old 2012-01-16, 07:03   Link #693
Megiddo

Odd, I would have thought Toto would have gone into the stylistic difference in-between knowing that all 5 pass (if you see 3, then you know the other 2 are right behind) immediately versus the 1999 method of having it be completely up-in-the-air until the quintet complete the test with but seconds to spare.

Knowing that the group passed and then seeing Gon's ingenuity at work didn't have near the same effect on me as it did in the 1999 version, where you see everyone working together and trying to the break down the wall.

But I suppose it's much more important to point out that Leorio's knife is different or the room is different. Toto also notes that the 2011 anime caught on that it's the same walls as before and yet didn't notice that the 1999 version did the exact same thing. Bizarre.

He also didn't even comment on Lippo's poignant final words about how Gon was able to 'break through more than just the wall, he broke the walls of common sense'. While everyone else in the room were wondering how they could be one of the 3 who pass the exam after 'X' was chosen, Gon wouldn't settle for anything less than them all passing. If you want to call Gon stubborn for that, then I'll agree that he is stubborn. But it's that quality that makes him such a strong character. And as far as the end of Trick Tower goes, the 1999 version far outshines both the manga and 2011 version in my opinion.
Megiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 08:08   Link #694
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megiddo View Post
But I suppose it's much more important to point out that Leorio's knife is different or the room is different. Toto also notes that the 2011 anime caught on that it's the same walls as before and yet didn't notice that the 1999 version did the exact same thing. Bizarre.
The wall and floor in the weapons room in 1999 are made of different material (Yellow brick walls and gray stone tiles) In the 2011 version the room is completely made out of sandstone. That's the point in pointing that out since I believe sandstone is relatively soft. And the knife thing is an obvious objective difference that she can comment on.

On the other hand you are entitled to your own opinion about what makes a better ending.

However my opinion is that the manga/2011 version had more suspense. From a narrative point most people think Gon "has" to pass but this narrative inevitability doesn't necessarily pass to Leorio who could theoretically fail now to make a point on the difficulty of the test.

Therefore when you see three people you may entertain the thought he DID fail...for the short period of time until you hear them arguing.
Old 2012-01-16, 09:46   Link #695
rinichan

Quote:
I'm so happy Mr. Toto your back!!!

Your comparissons really make sense, so 2011 is really as near as the manga while 99 has flaws.. like youve said they forget the part where Hisoka has that wound..

Well thanks again...
Hoping 13 and 14 to be read very soon...
Old 2012-01-16, 12:24   Link #696
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megiddo View Post
Odd, I would have thought Toto would have gone into the stylistic difference in-between knowing that all 5 pass (if you see 3, then you know the other 2 are right behind) immediately versus the 1999 method of having it be completely up-in-the-air until the quintet complete the test with but seconds to spare.

Knowing that the group passed and then seeing Gon's ingenuity at work didn't have near the same effect on me as it did in the 1999 version, where you see everyone working together and trying to the break down the wall.

He also didn't even comment on Lippo's poignant final words about how Gon was able to 'break through more than just the wall, he broke the walls of common sense'. While everyone else in the room were wondering how they could be one of the 3 who pass the exam after 'X' was chosen, Gon wouldn't settle for anything less than them all passing. If you want to call Gon stubborn for that, then I'll agree that he is stubborn. But it's that quality that makes him such a strong character. And as far as the end of Trick Tower goes, the 1999 version far outshines both the manga and 2011 version in my opinion.
QFT (especially the part about 1 minute cliffhanger which made this maneuver pointless which I've also mentioned in my earlier post). Although here you will be called a troll for criticizing new anime :].

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinichan View Post
Your comparissons really make sense, so 2011 is really as near as the manga while 99 has flaws.. like youve said they forget the part where Hisoka has that wound..(...)
*sigh* Talk about not thinking for yourself... In the old version of HxH anime no one forgot about Hisoka's wound. It was only shown that Hisoka has hidden the wound using one of his abilities (he's a magician after all). He didn't however get rid of the blood smell and butterflies still followed him. It was actually a very good move by the director since with a subtle change like that he foreshadowed what Hisoka might do later (which prevented from anyone thinking about a certain scene later as an ass-pull) while at the same time it didn't change anything in the current scene (so Gon tracking Hisoka via butterflies still made sense).
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 23:24   Link #697
_Riku_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
*sigh* Talk about not thinking for yourself... In the old version of HxH anime no one forgot about Hisoka's wound. It was only shown that Hisoka has hidden the wound using one of his abilities (he's a magician after all). He didn't however get rid of the blood smell and butterflies still followed him. It was actually a very good move by the director since with a subtle change like that he foreshadowed what Hisoka might do later (which prevented from anyone thinking about a certain scene later as an ass-pull) while at the same time it didn't change anything in the current scene (so Gon tracking Hisoka via butterflies still made sense).
What? You're accusing someone for not thinking when what you're saying is just pure speculation that the old anime team wanted to hint Hisokas future abilities. And actually even if that was the purpose(which I very much doubt) it would not make any sense at all.

Why would Hisoka even bother doing that in the first place? Sure let's say MAYBE he didn't want the rest of the candidates to see that he was wounded, which is already out of his character, but then considering that the butterflies totally spoils his show plus not only giving the viewers a glimpse of his abilities but also every other hunter candidate and examiner. And Hisoka isn't really known for wanting people to know everything about his abilities.
_Riku_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 04:04   Link #698
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
(...) He has a really generic line in the 1999 series while waiting for them ("I thought that boy had potential...Perhaps I overestimated him."). He's quiet in the manga/2011 series. Also, his wound is still present.
It's not a generic line, it perfectly fits to his character. To be honest I was disappointed that in the new version he didn't say anything when he clearly praised him earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Riku_ View Post
What? You're accusing someone for not thinking when what you're saying is just pure speculation that the old anime team wanted to hint Hisokas future abilities.
There is a difference between an accusation and stating the fact. He's repeating what Toto said and drawing - let's call it - *strange* conclusion. "Your comparissons really make sense, so 2011 is really as near as the manga while 99 has flaws..", seriously? This is so silly I don't even know where to start (how about, every series has flaws so stating that '99 series has flaws is pointless without elaborating).
As for Hisoka and what he did, it's not pure speculation. It would be strange that what they did would fit so well and would show his future abilities. Creators must have known about them and used them perfectly.

Quote:
And actually even if that was the purpose(which I very much doubt) it would not make any sense at all. Why would Hisoka even bother doing that in the first place?
For various reasons, the most simple being - because he can and because he's a magician that likes to make things disappear and because he cares about his looks. Also because he didn't want n00bs going after him thinking he was wounded and making his fights boring. The more proper question is, why didn't he do it if he could?

Quote:
Sure let's say MAYBE he didn't want the rest of the candidates to see that he was wounded, which is already out of his character,
You obviously don't know the manga, it's perfectly in his character. If you read manga you would immediately recall a certain fight with a certain character on a certain arena on a certain floor. So it's not out of his character. Secondly, let's not say he didn't want the rest of the candidates to know he was wounded since we do not know that. It's one of possible reasons.

Quote:
but then considering that, the butterflies totally spoils his show
lol
How does it spoil his show? Why do you assume every hunter there is an entomologist? Gon only knew about it because he empirically experienced it and was smart enough to recall the same butterflies going after Hisoka.
Quote:
plus not only giving the viewers a glimpse of his abilities but also every other hunter candidate and examiner.
*facepalm* He didn't do it publicly (no one saw what he did) so I suggest you stop writing follies.

Quote:
And Hisoka isn't really known for wanting people to know everything about his abilities.
Again, if you don't know manga don't write what he's like. He doesn't care about it as long as his opponent isn't worthy of him and even when he finds a worthy opponent he often reveals and explains some of his abilities. Can't go into more details than that in this thread. But as I said above it doesn't even matter since he didn't hide his wound publicly so only viewers saw it. It's questionable whether it was a better move or not but that's irrelevant in the discussion where someone assumes creators of 1999 anime forgot about Hisoka's wound (which obviously is not true).
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-17, 09:09   Link #699
rinichan

Quote:
It was only shown that Hisoka has hidden the wound using one of his abilities (he's a magician after all).
In this case I want to know exactly the time in the vid or the sequence or pls show me some evidence. I'm too lazy to view a video , I'm just using my cp now (an old one).

I cant believe I was accused of not thinking but evidently the video 99 and pic showed in that post was evidence. I've watch HunterxHunter 99 so many times for 10 years and I know what is happening or not originally, I am also a manga reader (well sometimes I ask in this forum if I forgot), this just show that in technicality and some aspects HXH 99 has its own faults (like making Kurapika too girly even if he is not). In this case all I can say is 99 staff didnt do their assignment (its just a phone call away to ask Togashi) . But We dont know if it was to change and make a new impression or to be totally a new story itself. And how do you know, that they are doing it because in the first place they know Hisoka's ability as the Magician (?).

Are you speaking for the staff?
In this matter I was only pointing out the things that 99 staff forgot or whatever they were thinking. I am not speculating. Evidence is there presented and I am happy with it. That's why I like reading reviews.

I guess youre just being too attach at something on the past, geez move on.

Last edited by rinichan; 2012-01-17 at 09:26. Reason: corrected some spelling and added a quote
Old 2012-01-17, 10:42   Link #700
_Riku_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
As for Hisoka and what he did, it's not pure speculation. It would be strange that what they did would fit so well and would show his future abilities. Creators must have known about them and used them perfectly.
It is pure speculation. You're even saying it, "the creators must have known". That's not a fact, thats speculation.

Quote:
For various reasons, the most simple being - because he can and because he's a magician that likes to make things disappear and because he cares about his looks. Also because he didn't want n00bs going after him thinking he was wounded and making his fights boring. The more proper question is, why didn't he do it if he could?
He still didnt do it in the manga. Why on earth would he want to scare away noobs? All of em are already scared to death of him. Another thing which points at this being out of his character, he didn't hide his plate like almost everyone did, then he'd hide his small wound for some reason?

Quote:
You obviously don't know the manga, it's perfectly in his character. If you read manga you would immediately recall a certain fight with a certain character on a certain arena on a certain floor. So it's not out of his character. Secondly, let's not say he didn't want the rest of the candidates to know he was wounded since we do not know that. It's one of possible reasons.
Yes I do know the manga and yes I have read that fight. And you cant compare it with this at all. His show on the arena floor served a purpose of attacking his opponent mentally.
That's not nearly the same as him hiding a wound which som butterflies spoil, and yes the butterflies do spoil it. You dont have to be a freaking entomologist to make this conclussion. Why? Because clearly there are many butterflies on the island, and there will also be many wounded bodies during this test. Hence the candidates will most likely be able to figure it our rather quickly like Gon did.

Quote:
*facepalm* He didn't do it publicly (no one saw what he did) so I suggest you stop writing follies.
Well with the butterflies in mind, many will notice that something was going on.

Quote:
Again, if you don't know manga don't write what he's like. He doesn't care about it as long as his opponent isn't worthy of him and even when he finds a worthy opponent he often reveals and explains some of his abilities. Can't go into more details than that in this thread. But as I said above it doesn't even matter since he didn't hide his wound publicly so only viewers saw it. It's questionable whether it was a better move or not but that's irrelevant in the discussion where someone assumes creators of 1999 anime forgot about Hisoka's wound (which obviously is not true).
Re read chapter 330, he obviously dont want everyone to know about his abilities.

Last edited by _Riku_; 2012-01-17 at 10:52.
_Riku_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen