AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-26, 21:19   Link #1
Mad Dog
Banned

Lucky Star - Licensed!

Kadokawa Pictures USA and Bandai Entertainment have licensed Lucky Star.

Words from monir: Since Mad Dog had no other information other than the above statement, I had to look it up in the website for Kadokawa Pictures USA for confirmation purpose. Lucky Star is indeed listed under the Animation section, at the bottom of the page.

Edit: As Relentless says in the thread:
Guys, this is exactly the same thing as I said about Mamoru-kun. Lucky Star is NOT licensed (at least, not according to AnimeSuki's rules). Kadokawa is not an "anime licensor", they are a branch of Kadokawa Japan. They do not distribute anime, but represent the rights to their shows in the U.S. Shows listed on their website are available for licensing by U.S. distributors, sort of like Enoki Films USA. Until a show has a distributor, that means they haven't announced any plans to actually release the product in the U.S. So, since there no announced plans for distribution in R1, it shouldn't be considered licensed. Not to mention, this is remarkably old news -- it's been on their website for nearly a month now, IIRC.
Edit 2: The thread is now reopened after getting new information from khryoleoz in this post:
Hey guys. LUCKY STAR IS INDEED LICENSED, in the exact same way as Haruhi. I was just watching the vol 4 extras of tMoHS, and there is a clip of the Lucky Star episode that spoofed Haruhi. At the end of the clip was a message saying Lucky Star Coming Soon From Kadokawa USA and Bandai Entertainment Inc.. Lucky Star IS LICENSED after all.

Last edited by Mad Dog; 2007-10-30 at 13:24.
Old 2007-10-26, 22:02   Link #2
JustInn14
moo

That's good. I think.
Old 2007-10-26, 22:08   Link #3
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I'm a bit suprised it was licensed already. Still, I always thought we'd get it eventually. Not sure how well it'll sell in the US though, since shows like this are really hit or miss.
Old 2007-10-26, 22:08   Link #4
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Wow! Yes!
I should collect this.

Edit: Kamui has a good point. This is an anime that targets a really niche audience.
Old 2007-10-26, 22:17   Link #5
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I'm a bit suprised it was licensed already. Still, I always thought we'd get it eventually. Not sure how well it'll sell in the US though, since shows like this are really hit or miss.
I also didn't think the show would be licensed considering the references are mostly inferred toward a certain group of Japanese audience.
Old 2007-10-26, 22:20   Link #6
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Well, I agree with monir there, although Lucky*Star is such a hit that I don't find it strange they'd want to cash in the monies here in the west.

Oh my oh my... I haven't even finished Eureka SeveN and I still have another series to buy the DVDs from It should be an interesting year - 2008, that is.

Edit: Hm, so Kadokawa actually released Haruhi and FMP! TSR? Hm, interesting, always thought ADV had gotten those - but again, I'm not well versed with US releases so it's not like it's not to be expected. I'm just wondering if they've done a good job on the series they worked with. Anyone has an experience to share?

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-10-26, 22:23   Link #7
bayoab

We already went over this in the Q&A thread.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...21#post1207121

It's not licensed.
Old 2007-10-26, 22:27   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Guys, this is exactly the same thing as I said about Mamoru-kun. Lucky Star is NOT licensed (at least, not according to AnimeSuki's rules). Kadokawa is not an "anime licensor", they are a branch of Kadokawa Japan. They do not distribute anime, but represent the rights to their shows in the U.S. Shows listed on their website are available for licensing by U.S. distributors, sort of like Enoki Films USA. Until a show has a distributor, that means they haven't announced any plans to actually release the product in the U.S. So, since there no announced plans for distribution in R1, it shouldn't be considered licensed. Not to mention, this is remarkably old news -- it's been on their website for nearly a month now, IIRC.
Old 2007-10-26, 22:28   Link #9
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Aha! No wonder I couldn't locate any other source for this piece of news.

Sorry to get your hopes up folks.

This thread is closed... well, until Lucky Star is actually picked up for licensing.
Old 2007-10-26, 22:43   Link #10
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Hey guys. LUCKY STAR IS INDEED LICENSED, in the exact same way as Haruhi. I was just watching the vol 4 extras of tMoHS, and there is a clip of the Lucky Star episode that spoofed Haruhi. At the end of the clip was a message saying Lucky Star Coming Soon From Kadokawa USA and Bandai Entertainment Inc.. Lucky Star IS LICENSED after all.
Old 2007-10-26, 22:49   Link #11
shinku no kage
:Still Yayoi's Onii~chan:

@_@ Ugh, you're all confusing me now with the licensing of LS...first some say yes, than some no, and now a yes.

...wait, how're you watching vol.4 of Haruhi!? Its not suppose to hit the US for another 2 weeks is it not!?

See HERE..my GOD!! How can they post a clip of Haruhi's "God Knows" in english!?

I'm going through hell right now e-mailing and messaging friends at other forums and such about it and now I've been going back and telling them no LS licensing...so which is it!?

Oh, BTW:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konagami_03 View Post
I only have one question:
"Is Kagami as considered a tsundere character or not?"

XD
Thats an obiously stupid question, Kagami IS tsundere, she's the definition of tsundere itself...
Old 2007-10-27, 00:16   Link #12
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
Can we get photographic or video (rip the trailer) evidence of this? This wouldn't be unexpected (Bandai has been hinting at it) but proper sourcing is required.
Old 2007-10-27, 01:05   Link #13
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

OK. This will run temporarily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d923UeSxgtU
Old 2007-10-27, 01:25   Link #14
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The thread is re-opened for business.
Old 2007-10-27, 01:39   Link #15
Flarey
Fandub Voice Actor Power!

Quote:
Quote:
OK. This will run temporarily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d923UeSxgtU
That's funny considering on the official site it says that volume 4 isn't out till 11.06.2007
Old 2007-10-27, 03:06   Link #16
bayoab

Retailers are know to ship things early. One of the other haruhi vols also was appearing about a week and a half early.

This isn't much of a surprise really given the recent hints (the dance again in a week) on the haruhi website.
Old 2007-10-27, 07:28   Link #17
nuaythebest

I can guarantee you that Volume 4 of Haruhi was out for anyone who preorder

And this is the special trailer you are talking about?
Old 2007-10-27, 14:15   Link #18
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuaythebest View Post
And this is the special trailer you are talking about?
That'd be it: "Special Teaser".

As bayoab says, this makes sense as confirmation of the license in a lot of ways, whereas the website doesn't really tell us anything (until they add "distributed by:").
Old 2007-10-27, 15:47   Link #19
FireChick

I was kinda hoping ADV would get Lucky Star but considering Haruhi's success, I guess Kadokawa would be good in getting it too. But Jessica Boone would've been an ADORABLE Tsukasa or Yutaka. Although I don't watch Haruhi, I heard the dub on AnimeTV and I must say it's good. I can picture Stephanie Sheh as Miyuki or Wendee Lee as Konata. Hehe!
Old 2007-10-27, 16:24   Link #20
Anachronism
Into Infinite Obscurity

Hmm, there are still Lucky Star torrents on a.scarywater but a.f.k. took all of their own torrents down. I hope it is licensed, I'd like to own it on DVD.
Closed Thread