AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 50 35.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 29.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 18.71%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 8.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.44%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.88%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-14, 22:13   Link #61
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Probably better than way than to have the audiance say, "Well move stupid".
Old 2009-10-14, 22:32   Link #62
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysjd89 View Post
Skewers and pins don't necassarily have to be with the king though.

For example, a bishop attacking two rooks, one is on the diagonal behind the other rook, is a skewer(Even if one rook moves, the bishop can catch the other one). Or a bishop attacking a knight, with a queen diagonally behind it is a pin(If the knight moves, than the bishop will take the powerful queen).

What happened to Belphegor in the anime is neither, though. A better comparision would be a sacrifice. Every possible square the king can move to is checked, so the only way to avoid it would be to put a piece infront of the opposing piece that is currently checking the king.

In the visual novel, it was a pin. Belphegor couldn't move or else the king would be in check.
yeah that's right, the best fitting comparison is "sacrifice". you move a minor piece in front of a more important piece to protect it, but you still lose the minor piece. Eva putting herself in the middle was a major blunder.

Sad, I guess you can't really give to Rudolf any credit for this, it was just plain luck and not a witty move.

Old 2009-10-14, 23:38   Link #63
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Fantastic episode, almost solely by the fact that the Kyrie-Levi duel to the Siesta's first shot is the best animated sequence in the series so far.

The Bad:

1. Rudolf's crowning moment of awesome got rather chopped up. Likewise, Evatrice getting between him and Belphegor was a strange directorial choice.

2. I think Kitamura Eri's trying a bit too hard to be cute for Siesta 401. Last I heard her was in Toradora, and IMO her voice tends to sound deeper and more mature than this so it shows. On the other hand, her Nyihihihi sounds good.

The Good:

1. Excellent portrayal of emotions from the cast, specifically the conflict between Battler's rage and Beato's confused and sudden docile shift. Completely sold to me, and that's a good thing considering how important emotions are in this Ep3.

2. Considering all the issues regarding DEEN's music direction throughout the series, the music direction in this episode so far has shown that DEEN CAN do great sound directing, maybe just once in a while.

3. Kyrie's crowning moment of awesome, her Hannibal Lecture on Levi and their subsequent deaths by the Siestas by far is the best animated sequence in the series. I find nothing wrong with them aside from being shortened.

9/10 for me.
Old 2009-10-14, 23:42   Link #64
crazysjd89

Send a message via MSN to crazysjd89
Since I couldn't really word it like I wanted to.

A skewer: When two pieces of almost equal value are being attacked, where if one moves the other gets taken and if it doesn't move, it gets taken.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/5669/skewerchess.jpg

In this case, the bishop will take one of the rooks.

A pin: This is what happened to Belphegor in the visual novel. This is where if one piece is moved, a piece of higher value will be attacked.

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/200/pinchess.jpg

In this case, black could checkmate white's king by moving the bishop infront of the king. However, he can't do that because the king would then be being attacked by the rook.

A sacrifice: What Belphegor did in the anime. This is moving a piece infront of the king to prevent checkmate. (Although not neccasarily because all other squares are checked. You can choose to sacrifice if moving your king puts you in a compromising position)

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2...ificechess.jpg

In this case, the only option is to sacrifice the rook to protect the king. (And the two pawns are the siestas when they promote, heh.)

And just some additional similar terms:

Fork: A fork is when two pieces are being attacked simultaneously (Not to be confused with skewer and pin, where one is being attacked, but moving it opens the attack on the other.)

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/7834/forkchess.jpg

In this case, both rooks are being attacked by the bishop.

And

Discovery Attack: When one piece moves out of the way, opening an attack with a different piece.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9...overycheck.jpg

In this case, the rook moves, so the bishop is now attacking the king. And also, the king is checked by the rook so the queen can't avoid capture.

Weather or not this is useful at all in solving anything in Umineko, I don't know
Old 2009-10-14, 23:46   Link #65
luckyssol

Excellent episode!

This series of events was hilarious to me though (From Rudolf, Kyire, and Hideyoshi's perspective):
-Teleporting waitress girls appear out of nowhere.
-Rudolf, Kyrie, and Hideyoshi decide to all split up so they all don't get caught. (Huh... didn't they just dodge a bullet by teleporting...)
-One of the waitress girls attacks Kyrie with a laser blade so Kyrie thinks it's a good idea to try having a chat with her.
-After a young version of Eva teleports in out of nowhere Rudolf realizes that she's not immune to bullets so he tricks the waitress into taking the hit.
-Well we just took out the waitress girls but now she's summoned the bunny girls! F**KING RUN!

This episode was adapted pretty well and I loved how they animated the Siestas arrows. I'll give it a 10/10 for using the good BGM this time.
Old 2009-10-15, 00:24   Link #66
Endless_Witch_Nipah
BeaBato <3

Send a message via MSN to Endless_Witch_Nipah
EP was Magnificient!!

+Music Ah Music... Wordlenddominator was OMG AWSOME <33
+THERE NO WAS "SUSPICTION"!! O_O
THANK GODS!!
+Battler RAAAGE!
My heart bleeding... (BeatoxBattler fan)
+Siesta Data Recieved - FIRING
+Hell Yeah Belph and Levi !
+Rudolf & Kyrie = Best Parents Ever?? o_O
+B*tch SLAAAAPP!! >D

- RUDOLF WESTERN SCENE TT_TT

DEEN Great Job.
Old 2009-10-15, 01:00   Link #67
Evy

The good:
-Belphegor's voice sounded exactly how I imagined it.
-KYRIE. KYRIEEEEE!!
-45's voice is SO CUTE.
-The whole Siesta sequence was just amazing.
-Eva when she sees Hideyoshi in the mansion... ;_;

The bad:
-WHERE DID MY DUEL GO!?
-The Hideyoshi and Eva-Beatrice scene. In the VN it was, for me, a Crowning Moment of Tear-Jerking. But there was barely any emotion in it and was 90% Hideyoshi rapping his fist against her head going AHO AHO AHO AHO AHO.
-Oh my god SERIOUSLY what is with DEEN's obsession with corpses with clenched teeth? No, it doesn't make the episode be any less good/more bad/whatever, but it annoys me. :| First Gohda, then Maria, now Rudolf. Just in this arc.
-Again, little to no reaction to finding Rosa and Maria's corpses. Didn't Rudolf cry in the VN? /brainfart

The ???:
- 410's voice is going to take some time getting used to.
-I forget, is George and Battler's Tear-Jerker of a discussion supposed to be before or after Beato and Virgilia's talk?
Old 2009-10-15, 01:08   Link #68
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

This...this was the perfect episode. This isn't my favorite part of EP3 as I know it is for many people, but I think given the constraints of the Anime DEEN did absolutely perfect and included everything they needed to, and portrayed the emotion and impact of those scenes flawlessly. I'm not in the bunch that worships episode 5 (the tea parties were perfect, but they definitely rushed over the beginning part of the episode), so to me this is the best episode yet, ahead of my previous favorite (episode 6). If they can keep this up until the end of the arc then I will be VERY happy. Next week will most likely have my favorite scene in this arc, and for the first time I actually can't wait to see how they pull it off...I know that setting my expectations so high is just asking for disappointment, but for once, I think DEEN can do it.

Spoiler for my thoughts:

Aside from those nitpicks, though...perfect, just perfect. 10/10 from me. I feel bad for George, Jessica and Piece!Battler, though. They've gotten all but completely shafted from the past two episodes, lol.
Old 2009-10-15, 09:07   Link #69
Ottocycle

I liked how Rudolf worked in a 36-Strategies reference. Was that in the original game?
Old 2009-10-15, 10:10   Link #70
Golden Witch Drugs
しゆあげいん。

Spoiler for Review:

Last edited by Golden Witch Drugs; 2009-10-15 at 13:12.
Old 2009-10-15, 10:36   Link #71
Chadauw

What I enjoyed :
- Musics (Tsuki usagis!).
- The beginning of the chase in the mansion.
- Siestas. About their voice, I liked 410's. 45's is okay.

What I didn't :
- Battler turning his back.
- The duels (especially Rudolf's).
- The golden arrow.
- I found the EVA/Hideyoshi scene pretty bad. It seemed childish rather than sad, and I didn't like the voice acting.
- Again, no emotions during the discovery of the corpses from Battler and George.

7/10
Old 2009-10-15, 10:52   Link #72
Tjaard
Welcome to Kourindou

Send a message via MSN to Tjaard
Awesome epi, the chara's seiyuu of this part for me was all really good, liked moreover Siesta 410 and Belphegor, Levi & 45's voice was pretty good too.
The duel was really fast but liked the same, Rudolf was awesome on his western-style, and Kyrie's rage was epic.
Hideyoshi smacking Eva-Beatrice was really funny but i remember it sad lol
For the story, i've told this last time too, but this soft Beato is only pitiful for me.
Old 2009-10-15, 11:01   Link #73
typhonsentra

What the hell is with the 180 in Beatrice's personality since the last episode? I couldn't stop laughing when she became so hurt over Battler rejecting her. I mean for God's sake, in one of the previous worlds she trotted his body out naked to be devoured by goat men!
Old 2009-10-15, 11:20   Link #74
Leinne
Who... am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
What the hell is with the 180 in Beatrice's personality since the last episode? I couldn't stop laughing when she became so hurt over Battler rejecting her. I mean for God's sake, in one of the previous worlds she trotted his body out naked to be devoured by goat men!
She was still playing with her, which she liked, but now Battler doesn't want to play with the witch and the witch is sad, because she's quite a tsundere who likes acting like a bad witch but it's really childish and doen't want to be alone-> telling off evaB and her torture
Old 2009-10-15, 11:22   Link #75
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Look at it from her perspective. To a witch, that's all fun and games, since nothing is permanent. From her perspective, Battler is just holding a grudge.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2009-10-15, 11:36   Link #76
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
- Very rushed episode
You crazy? Imagine that if the took a slower pace the next episodes would become something whioch could be described with summary.
Old 2009-10-15, 13:29   Link #77
Leinne
Who... am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
You crazy? Imagine that if the took a slower pace the next episodes would become something whioch could be described with summary.
You kidding, right? Don't pick on the summaries, they're longer than some eps, *cough*ep1*cough*ep2*cough*
Old 2009-10-15, 13:32   Link #78
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

All right it was a nice episode, apart some flaws I enjoyed this although it isn't on the top of my favorite list.

Asumu was finally mentioned and Battler's family situation has been clearly disclosed.

Sad that they changed the most funny parts of the two duels though. I guess we won't see any "flag" either... too bad.

I couldn't help but finding incredibly hilarious the way Kyrie and Rudolf reacted to the siestas. A sec before they were pointing their guns toward an evil witch and then:

Bunny girls!
We are doomed!
Run for it!

Okay it was the same in the novel, but seeing it is even more funny XD Kyrie and Rudolf weren't supposed o know how deadly those two are and their appearance doesn't make me think of something dangerous.

Old 2009-10-15, 13:36   Link #79
chronotrig

Come on, Jan-poo. It's obvious they sensed the power and menace flowing out of those outfits. Anyone who could wear that in an old mansion on a dark, rainy night is a person to fear

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
Old 2009-10-15, 13:38   Link #80
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
All right it was a nice episode, apart some flaws I enjoyed this although it isn't on the top of my favorite list.

Asumu was finally mentioned and Battler's family situation has been clearly disclosed.

Sad that they changed the most funny parts of the two duels though. I guess we won't see any "flag" either... too bad.

I couldn't help but finding incredibly hilarious the way Kyrie and Rudolf reacted to the siestas. A sec before they were pointing their guns toward an evil witch and then:

Bunny girls!
We are doomed!
Run for it!

Okay it was the same in the novel, but seeing it is even more funny XD Kyrie and Rudolf weren't supposed o know how deadly those two are and their appearance doesn't make me think of something dangerous.
Well... they did just escape being killed by two young girls. The moment that Eva-Beatrice said "more powerful and brutal", they probably decided to just toss appearance aside and take her word for it.

But it is funny.
"Waitress girls? Psh! We can take them on."
"Oh no! Not bunny girls!! D: "

Closed Thread