AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-08-27, 05:18   Link #1
ShatteredHope
Doomed Forever

Lightbulb Let's replace HK DVD rips.

I'm frustrated at seeing so many series come from poor-quality HK DVDs that are bad LD rips. HK DVDs are always mastered poorly and the people who do it tend not to understand video (plus I hate the stupid logos they put up).

Anyone want to try to put together better source footage for some of these series? All you need is a good LD player (Pioner CLD-703 or better), a good comb filter (unless your LD player had a really good 3D comb filter in it already, which basically means the CLD-99, the LD-S9, and the HLD-X9), and some means of capture that won't drop frames (i.e. better than typical consumer VIVO card)

I have Victory Gundam on LD, and boy playing from my CLD-99 looks WAY better than the HK DVDs. It'd be nice if I ripped it if someone would do something with it. ^^
ShatteredHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 07:32   Link #2
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredHope
I'm frustrated at seeing so many series come from poor-quality HK DVDs that are bad LD rips. HK DVDs are always mastered poorly and the people who do it tend not to understand video (plus I hate the stupid logos they put up).

^^
Sometimes they are the best source avalible.
I'm sure Fansubbers would LOVE to use the original R2s for fansubbing, but they are expensive, and sometimes very rare.

So, unless you're willing to pay for them ^^

Also, the same applies to LD players: Expensive and rare.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 08:30   Link #3
ShatteredHope
Doomed Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
Sometimes they are the best source avalible.
I'm sure Fansubbers would LOVE to use the original R2s for fansubbing, but they are expensive, and sometimes very rare.

So, unless you're willing to pay for them ^^

Also, the same applies to LD players: Expensive and rare.
Eh, that's not really true. A CLD-703, which is a decent LD player (top-end consumer, not into prosumer range but just fine provided you use an external 3D comb filter, which you can find pretty easily in a good consumer SVHS deck) can be had on eBay for only ~$165. And they are NOT rare.

And LDs are dirt cheap. I just bought all of Victory Gundam (52 eps) on LD for $120. And a DVD version does NOT exist (except for the bad LD rips that were used to make the HK DVDs). Furthermore since Victory Gundam is mastered on D2 digital tape, which is composite, the LDs have better video quality than a DVD could (since the advantages of DVD over LD can only be had if you come from a component source, if you come from composite then going to DVD just adds DVD's limitations/artifacts.)
Old 2004-08-27, 09:58   Link #4
TechnoMage
Shoujo-Anime Member

Quote:
And a DVD version does NOT exist
The R2 DVDs of Victory Gundam were released at the begining of the year.
TechnoMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 12:36   Link #5
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Eh, that's not really true. A CLD-703, which is a decent LD player (top-end consumer, not into prosumer range but just fine provided you use an external 3D comb filter, which you can find pretty easily in a good consumer SVHS deck) can be had on eBay for only ~$165. And they are NOT rare.

And LDs are dirt cheap. I just bought all of Victory Gundam (52 eps) on LD for $120.
Tell me how much money you have in your wallet then.
Maybe not for you, but almost $300 spent on eqipment like that would simply be too much for me and many others.

Besides, if the remastering for the DVD was any good, trust me, it'll look far better than a LD ever could.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 12:54   Link #6
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
Tell me how much money you have in your wallet then.
Maybe not for you, but almost $300 spent on eqipment like that would simply be too much for me and many others.

Besides, if the remastering for the DVD was any good, trust me, it'll look far better than a LD ever could.
I don't think people who make HK DVDs care about remastering video

Asides, they don't have the original masters, just the LDs to work with (or in some cases TV rips)

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 13:12   Link #7
ShatteredHope
Doomed Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoMage
The R2 DVDs of Victory Gundam were released at the begining of the year.
Ooo I didn't know that. Did they go back to film or just reuse the D2 masters? If they used the D2 masters the LDs are probably better. If they did a fresh component progressive scan from film stock then the DVDs are probably better.

My guess is they probably didn't make a new master from film, but ya never know.
Old 2004-08-27, 13:14   Link #8
ShatteredHope
Doomed Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei

Asides, they don't have the original masters, just the LDs to work with (or in some cases TV rips)
Indeed. HK DVDs are complete crap. =P I think he was talking about an R2 release though.
Old 2004-08-31, 18:47   Link #9
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

Quote:
Ooo I didn't know that. Did they go back to film or just reuse the D2 masters? If they used the D2 masters the LDs are probably better. If they did a fresh component progressive scan from film stock then the DVDs are probably better.

My guess is they probably didn't make a new master from film, but ya never know.
I seriously doubt they'd use the D2 masters. Gundam 0080, 0083, Mobile Suit Gundam, Char's Counter Attack, Zeta Gundam, and G-Gundam have all gone through new restorations. All the Gundam series (excluding Gundam Wing, the 08th MS Team, and Gundam Seed due to it's age) that have been licensed have been remastered from film stock.

Hell, the Mobile Suit Gundam movies, Gundam 0083, and I assume Gundam 0080 since it went through a 0083 like treatment, have progressive DVD releases! ADV can't even come up to that with Eva Renewal! Hah!
dbzgundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 05:47   Link #10
chaos99

Totally agree on it!!!!!!!!!!They're the worst!
chaos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 09:48   Link #11
Grona
Big Damit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei

-Tofu
They also dont care about english, I contacted one company offering to help the english trans of Escaflowne a loooong time ago. They actualy replied and seemed to either screw with my head or just not understand me though a weeks worth of email exchange
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 10:15   Link #12
Borkman
It's me!

I don't see what's so bad about using HKDVDs as a source for fansubs. Sure they don't look as good as R2 DVDs, but who cares? I'm happy as long as I can see and hear what's going on.
Borkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 10:20   Link #13
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grona
They also dont care about english, I contacted one company offering to help the english trans of Escaflowne a loooong time ago. They actualy replied and seemed to either screw with my head or just not understand me though a weeks worth of email exchange
Why would you offer to help one of these companies, seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borkman
I don't see what's so bad about using HKDVDs as a source for fansubs. Sure they don't look as good as R2 DVDs, but who cares? I'm happy as long as I can see and hear what's going on.
Somehow the "I'm happy so long as I get it free" mentality no longer suprises me. Try taking the 'who cares' argument to the people who's livelyhoods depend on the sales of legitimate DVDs, you'll find it gets you nowhere.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 13:58   Link #14
K_R
also known as K!

I would say 'who cares' since the Japanese animators aren't relying on DVD sales to make a living. I care not for licensees.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 14:45   Link #15
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
I would say 'who cares' since the Japanese animators aren't relying on DVD sales to make a living. I care not for licensees.
Interesting, I was under the impression that the vast majority of the ficancing for the production of series (ie: the animation process) is based on the income that is derived from DVD sales. Where would you say this money comes from?
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 17:15   Link #16
Akirasuto.

*waves at mr_paper* ^^/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Interesting, I was under the impression that the vast majority of the ficancing for the production of series (ie: the animation process) is based on the income that is derived from DVD sales. Where would you say this money comes from?
Depending on the popularity, a significant proportion would come from the franchises : stickers, shirts (& clothing in general), games, toys, special limited edition stuff, licensing(!) and etc. Also the animation houses will scout for potential sponsors (typically pay-tv channels, but not all, in exchange for airing rights) before taking the plunge.

But for the smaller studios, DVD sales is pretty much the only reliable income.
Akirasuto. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-20, 19:24   Link #17
Soulfang
Inactive Member

I'm not quite sure but I think K_R was referring to DVD sales beyond Japan.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 00:56   Link #18
Riese
Brutal Killer Math Logic

Send a message via ICQ to Riese
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
I believe I have an excellent article which refutes this:
Merchendisers grow rich, animators grow poor

Fansubs' role of making an anime popular is perpetually eroded by bootleggers.
I buy official licensed releases of series I really enjoyed fansubs of. Sometimes, it takes me a few years but I get there eventually.

EDIT: fixed the link. Oops.
Also, I found another pertinent link:
http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/0403/0312manga.html

Last edited by Riese; 2004-09-21 at 01:22.
Riese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 01:05   Link #19
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Everyone wants to make a buck on someone else's back. That's the theory behind bootlegs and merchandisers. They don't have to do much work and they get almost all the profits. The animators barely breakeven in most of their works unless they have a major blockbusters. As you and I know, the blockbusters are few and far between. Many studios go under.

If I remember right, there was an article on ANN that voice actors were finally reimbursed for royalties from their work - about 5 years after the fact. They also were allowed to get minimum pay for their work or something to that affect. This goes to show that the margins for any show is very low and there's a lot of hands taking their cut of the success/failures of shows.
________
Honda XRM history

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 12:03.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote