AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-30, 12:29   Link #1
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

AWOL anime fan returns and needs suggestions...

I haven't watched anime for about a year and a half, so I've lost track entirely of what's out and what's good. You know the drill- I tell ya what I really like and those of you with similar taste shout out what series I should look into. Thanks!

REALLY like:
Twelve Kingdoms
Berserk
Scrapped Princess
Gankutsuoh
Naruto
Gilgamesh
7 Samurai
Banner of the Stars
Getbackers

Like:
Avenger
Fullmetal Alchemist
Paranoia Agent
Evangelion
Bleach (I need to watch more of this....only seen 4 eps)

Essentially I'm looking for a few specific things- not necessarily all together:

1. Incredible fight choreography in the vein of Naruto and 7 Samurai. If this helps, the best choreography I've ever seen was FF: Advent Children.

2. Series that defy anime conventions. Twelve Kingdoms and Gilgamesh both looked and felt in many ways separate from other series. They had no obvious fan service, their scores were unique, and their characters looked and acted differently than you average anime character. While I can enjoy a genre hashing series as much as the next guy, it is this type of series that typically ends up being memorable.

3. This one is tough because it requires picky taste. I'm looking for any action oriented anime that features a really fun, compelling cast of characters. To better define this, I can only say that I LOVE the characters in Scrapped Princess, Getbackers, and Naruto, LIKE the characters in Fullmetal Alchemist and DISLIKED the characters in Chrno Chrusade. If that communicates to you the odd vibe that I'm trying to define, then recommend away.
Old 2006-04-30, 12:56   Link #2
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.
Old 2006-04-30, 14:55   Link #3
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.
Bebop didn't much appeal to me, although I've seen some of Champloo and been quite impressed (Btw...is the series ruined for me if somebody already told me the identity of the sunflower guy?)

Anyway, I'm really looking for newer stuff...preferably stuff that came out in the past year.
Old 2006-04-30, 15:44   Link #4
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Maybe Basilisk then? I've only seen a few episodes myself, but they were quite well-done.
Old 2006-04-30, 16:48   Link #5
domino
デレデレ

Looks like you like a good dramatic adventure. Of all of the new spring 2006 anime that have aired so far, I think Jyu Oh Sei will be your best fit (as far as "new" things go). Check my sig for official site link.
Old 2006-05-01, 00:12   Link #6
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Last Exile would fit #2. Amazing score, beautiful animation, memorable cast.

Full Metal Panic fits #3, and its sequel The Second Raid fits #1.

Mai Hime.... great character development, good animation. The ending is on the sucky side though.. ><

Noein - a fantasy/sci-fi epic, awesome music and animation.

Monster - #2. Very gripping story.

Eureka 7 - not your typical mecha series. Awesome cast (Anemone!), superb ost, compelling story.

Blood+ - Music by Hans Zimmer zomg! Show is picking up its pace again, so I heard.

Ghost in the Shell - 1st Gig is episodic, which I didn't really enjoy. 2nd Gig though had me marathoning it.

Read or Die - I love the music! (Taku Iwasaki!). Fight scenes are uncommon, but whenever there's one, it's very elaborate and cool.

Gungrave - This kind of reminds me of Berserk, except it's mafia!

Currently airing:
Fate/Stay Night (so-so story, but nice animation/music)
Jyu Oh Sei (interesting premise, fluid animation)
Black Lagoon (this is so action-packed!)
The Third (lovely music)

2005 wasn't really a good year for anime, so I guess you didn't really miss out much. :P There are some popular ones like Shakugan no Shana, Solty Rei and Speed Grapher which I didn't like, but you can check around and see if they're worth your time.
Old 2006-05-01, 01:56   Link #7
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie
Last Exile would fit #2. Amazing score, beautiful animation, memorable cast.

Full Metal Panic fits #3, and its sequel The Second Raid fits #1.

Mai Hime.... great character development, good animation. The ending is on the sucky side though.. ><

Noein - a fantasy/sci-fi epic, awesome music and animation.

Monster - #2. Very gripping story.

Eureka 7 - not your typical mecha series. Awesome cast (Anemone!), superb ost, compelling story.

Blood+ - Music by Hans Zimmer zomg! Show is picking up its pace again, so I heard.

Ghost in the Shell - 1st Gig is episodic, which I didn't really enjoy. 2nd Gig though had me marathoning it.

Read or Die - I love the music! (Taku Iwasaki!). Fight scenes are uncommon, but whenever there's one, it's very elaborate and cool.

Gungrave - This kind of reminds me of Berserk, except it's mafia!

Currently airing:
Fate/Stay Night (so-so story, but nice animation/music)
Jyu Oh Sei (interesting premise, fluid animation)
Black Lagoon (this is so action-packed!)
The Third (lovely music)

2005 wasn't really a good year for anime, so I guess you didn't really miss out much. :P There are some popular ones like Shakugan no Shana, Solty Rei and Speed Grapher which I didn't like, but you can check around and see if they're worth your time.
Let's see....I've been meaning to see Last Exile for forever. I had a horrible time with a bootleg that I didn't realize was a bootleg (an inexperience ebayer I was).

I've seen Fullmetal Panic and you're correct...very fun cast. Is Second Raid different from Fumoffu? I had heard that Fumoffu was much more comedy than action.

I've got all of Mai Hime...just haven't sat down to watch it/wanted to see what was brand spankin' new here at Animesuki

Noein- haven't heard of it...from your description I'll give it a go.

Monster's great stuff. I read about a third of the manga and then never decided to go with the manga or start over with the anime. Urusawa had another manga that I liked even more about these kids....dang, what was it called...

Eureka 7- another series that got licensed quickly but I've always been curious about. Netflix....

Blood+...Hans Zimmer? Seriously? And I assume it's a continuation of Blood: TLV. That sounds fun, but if memory serves, it's licensed....Netflix

I'll definitely give GITS: SAC 2nd gig a go. I loved the aesthetics for 1st gig (watched about half of it) but was frustrated as well with the amount of filler content.

I've heard great things about Read or Die, and I own the OVA...so Netflix

and I thought the first dvd of Gungrave was a bit too slow, but I know I should give it one more shot.

SRB, I saw the first episode of Basilisk and was impressed with the animation. Definitely will watch...Netflix

Domino, I went ahead and downloaded the beginning of Jyu oh Sei and Gintama (from your sig), so we'll see...

Anybody else with suggestions keep them coming as I'm really trying to ascertain how many series to my liking have come out since I've been "AWOL"
Old 2006-05-01, 02:20   Link #8
miaka

Here is my recomendations for 2005 Fall/winter action/ adventure anime. Its up to you to decide to watch it or not. Links are provided for your references.
black cat - action/adventure/comedy.
Solty Rei - sci-fi action.
Shakugan no Shana - supernatural-action. it has lot of sword fight and it raised some existential issues.
currently ongoing
Nishi no Yoki Majo- Astraea Testament - also known as good witch of the west. first episode is already out. Watch it and decide for yourself. For me, the first episode really stand out. It has some elements of fairy tale and action/adventure genre
Kiba- similar with rpg game
Tsubasa Chronicle- second season- its the continuation of last year series. It also has lot of action packed scene
Utawarerumono - look like a promising series with a unique set.
Old 2006-05-01, 02:23   Link #9
nixie
Nyunga Ro Chaga

Quote:
Is Second Raid different from Fumoffu? I had heard that Fumoffu was much more comedy than action.
Second Raid is pure action, the "real" sequel to the original FMP. Fumoffu is pure comedy.

Quote:
Urusawa had another manga that I liked even more about these kids....dang, what was it called...
20th Century Boys?

Quote:
And I assume it's a continuation of Blood: TLV.
It's not continuation, but I guess it is derived from that movie. I dunno, I didn't watch the movie and I've been told to stay away from it.