AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 06
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 21 15.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 28 20.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 42 30.43%
7 out of 10 : Good... 24 17.39%
6 out of 10 : Average... 13 9.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 4 2.90%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 2.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 3 2.17%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-11, 18:34   Link #41
Bombo
TSF Fans

Not bad for this week. :/
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 18:49   Link #42
Sphire

I can only give an anime-only view, but I expected more from SAO then what we've gotten so far. So far it's focused a lot on 'other' stories kinda like how Kino's Journey or Dantalian no Shoka are, except way less interesting.

Maybe once the main story picks up I'll be interested again. So far only ep 1 was really interesting. Ep 2 was okay content-wise but seemed rushed as hell. The rest have been those side-stories. And color me surprised at just how much time passes in the show. More than a year already? Seriously?

Overall, it makes me feel like I should just wait for the whole show to be done before watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaihan View Post
First thing first, please tell me it was my sub that was just trolling me:
Images
Kirito answer on who the murderer is
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Best part of the episode. I was laughing so hard.
Old 2012-08-11, 18:56   Link #43
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
At the end of the day, at least as anime-only viewers, I think that you can't really judge the importance of any given episode until you understand the whole story shown in the anime. Then you can fully understand how the pieces fit together and judge how you think the anime spent its time. From our perspective right now, we shouldn't rush to conclusions.
In principle I agree, and I do fully acknowledge that in terms of plot and world-building, I may not fully understand the context of how this episode fits. However, I am prepared to say:
  • Grimlock killing his wife because she stopped being a Yamato Nadeshiko was lame.
  • Grimlock breaking down like an imploded building when Asuna points out the obvious was even lamer.

I agree with the notion that Kawahara may just be better at designing MMOs than writing about them. That's the difference between he and someone like Hosoda Mamoru, who's great at both.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 19:13   Link #44
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Good episode. We get more world-building this time around.

So I was right, it was just teleportation.

Regarding Grimlock's motive, can't he not just be proud of his wife for being strong instead of killing her? Is the author trying to show us the general attitude of husbands towards their wives in Japan?

Looks like Kirito triggered a couple flags. Go on, Kirito. You know what Asuna is implying now. Go for it already.
Old 2012-08-11, 19:13   Link #45
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I agree with the notion that Kawahara may just be better at designing MMOs than writing about them. That's the difference between he and someone like Hosoda Mamoru, who's great at both.
That's why we need SAO irl. Fund it. NAO!

Anyway I'm just gonna say that I really liked that concluding scene, as farfetched as "Griselda's ghost" seems to be. It may not make sense but it sure stir some heart warming feelings.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 19:26   Link #46
Esebian

A really nice episode, although as novel reader like me, you can see that many things were left out but those were either unimportant or spoiler scenes, so no hard feelings for that The only big cuttet scene was the one with Grimlock but well, time was nearly up and a third episode for that SS would have been over the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire
I can only give an anime-only view, but I expected more from SAO then what we've gotten so far. So far it's focused a lot on 'other' stories kinda like how Kino's Journey or Dantalian no Shoka are, except way less interesting.

Maybe once the main story picks up I'll be interested again. So far only ep 1 was really interesting. Ep 2 was okay content-wise but seemed rushed as hell. The rest have been those side-stories. And color me surprised at just how much time passes in the show. More than a year already? Seriously?
What do you mean by 'other' stories? I mean even while those last episodes were sidestories of the novel, they are part of the main plot, too, as there are many references to them in the first volume.

Also the death ingame = death in real life was present in every episode so the main point of the whole series is included as well

And for the long time, actually they are now 1 and a half year in the game captured, but I belief that's pretty normal, isn't it? Imagine yourself in the same situation, do you belief you could clear the game in less time? 100 floors, each floor with a strong boss at the end and in a survival game, I think these are enough reasons for a slow progress ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
In principle I agree, and I do fully acknowledge that in terms of plot and world-building, I may not fully understand the context of how this episode fits. However, I am prepared to say:

Grimlock killing his wife because she stopped being a Yamato Nadeshiko was lame.
Grimlock breaking down like an imploded building when Asuna points out the obvious was even lamer.

Well even from anime-only perspective you can easily see how the behaviour of Asuna towards Kirito changed from the beginning of the last episode to the end of this one, so its main focus lays on character development for both Kirito and Asuna (while it ofc also again explains some game mechanics like marriage ^^).

Ofc the reason for Grimlock to kill his wife was lame, that was the whole point from the beginning on But if you look in Grimlock's face while he says that, you can easily guess that he has gone mad, then you don't really need a proper reason, or?
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 19:29   Link #47
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

I liked this episode. So much character/relationship developments. Mah OTP forevah! <3

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 19:35   Link #48
Tsukou

[mod edit: remove response to removed quote]

As for the people who find this episode lackluster, I wonder what people are looking to get out of this anime sometimes. I thought the story wrapped up very nicely, and the story was engaging enough that I wasn't looking at the time to see how much was left, but was left to simply watch it carry out.

It introduces this new antagonistic group, as well as builds the relationship between Asuna and Kirito. And I actually enjoyed the reason behind the murder, Grimlock probably thought he would lose her at this rate, and would rather never see that happen. And the scene with Asuna and Kirito looking at Griselda I thought was quite beautiful tbh. The pacing wasn't slow and it wasn't fast. I'm guessing people just want all the story done right now, and I'm just enjoying it week by week. I don't need intense battle action scenes all the time

But this episode kind of reminds me how this entire arc started. Kirito started off on this nice day of perfect weather, laying back and enjoying himself. He realized that he needs to take the time to just lie on the grass and enjoy what's been given to him from time to time. This is the kind of arc, that we as viewers also can lay back and simply enjoy our time watching, and I think it's a good thing. I enjoyed myself.
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 19:45   Link #49
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

People are probably looking to see people fighting stuff rather than people interacting with each other.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 19:46   Link #50
Kazu-kun

Well, Kirito did raise a few flags, but Asuna raised some flags of her own too. Go for it girl.
Old 2012-08-11, 20:06   Link #51
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Wonderful episode... With Kirito and Asuna.. It'd never got boring...

I felt a tingling when Asuna mentioned marriage to Kirito... God, they are so cute!!!! Now, they can be friends... what could be next? 10/10 for this episode!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 20:36   Link #52
Sixth
Hu Tao

Surprisingly a good episode. They changed a lot of things from novel, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Asuna's reaction is so cute when Kirito said the marriage is a plastic.

I am shocked to learn that Asuna never adds Kirito into her friend lists. This must be a rare encounter that Asuna can met Kirito under the tree or she just have a superb stalking skills.

I guess this episode is where Asuna's stalking career started. LOL
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 20:40   Link #53
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

WHAT?! No cute girl died in this episode?! And, in fact, the one who died at the end of the last episode was a lie!?!? I demand a refund! I demand justice! Where is Mean Joe Green!?

Here is hoping Kirito kills off more players by "accident" *wink* next episode!

(6/10) For not killing off cute girls and for a two-episode arc that ended up with a friends list invite that could have taken a few seconds instead of two episodes...

"Be my friend..."

"I'm a solo..."

*kick!*

"Okay, here is my info.. Ow."

10 seconds screen time tops.

Last edited by PonSquared; 2012-08-11 at 20:44. Reason: "to" too two - all incorrect
PonSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 20:45   Link #54
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
  • Grimlock killing his wife because she stopped being a Yamato Nadeshiko was lame.
  • Grimlock breaking down like an imploded building when Asuna points out the obvious was even lamer.
I don't disagree with you here. But the one thing that was absolutely clear to me in this entire arc was that this was never really a mystery story at all, and neither Grimlock or any of the other guild members mattered in the slightest. The only point in the whole thing was that Asuna made "you didn't really love her, you just wanted to own her" statement, leading into the conversation that followed. And that whole thing sort of makes me mad for reasons that are totally not the anime's fault at all, but have more to do with this forum and the desire to try to keep a sense of surprise.

I'm going to put this next part behind spoiler tags in case people really want to avoid any speculation about future events. I've never read the novels, but there are a few bits and pieces I've unfortunately picked up from being a mod. So I don't know if my opinion below is partly because I'm tainted or not... but I'm really starting to think that it wouldn't matter.

Spoiler for Piecing together hints from Episode 6 (see explanation above):
Old 2012-08-11, 20:46   Link #55
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

that was a nice episode, cheating death is as easy as armor destroying and teleportation
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 21:11   Link #56
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Spoiler for Piecing together hints from Episode 6 (see explanation above):
I don't think we need to treat it as spoiler, as you said, it's been fairly obvious for quite some time already. What's important are the details around how they'll get there

Great episode overall, as other people already stated, lots of interesting development and character interactions. I think the arcs resolution was fine as well, at least it wasn't totally obvious from the beginning and had a few decent twists.
Looking forward to next week, I think they're supposed to continue with Vol01 again?
sudolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 21:14   Link #57
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for Response to Relentlessflame's spoiler:

I kind of disagree with your take on Grimlock and the mystery on a very fundamental level. You can say none of the characters "matter in the slightest" - but they were still the bulk of the last two episodes. Doesn't the entertainment value of those episodes and the quality of the characters written matter too, as well as the "point" of the arc? This is an entertainment, after all - and the journey matters just as much as the destination.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 21:16   Link #58
Child_of_Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post

I am shocked to learn that Asuna never adds Kirito into her friend lists. This must be a rare encounter that Asuna can met Kirito under the tree or she just have a superb stalking skills.
I guess it was cause most frontliners pass the same road Kirito was sleeping next to. It was only a matter of time for Asuna to meet him there?

...But I like your interpretation better
Old 2012-08-11, 21:17   Link #59
Trajan
Six Shooter

Not a bad episode, but nothing special either.

As an anime-only viewer, my two major problems with these first 6 episodes is that (1) they don't seem to have any relevance to the major events going on in Aincrad, namely the clearing of the floors and (2) each "story" almost exists independently from the others, serving no real purpose except for filler.

My first issue is self-explanatory, but I'll expand on this second.

In this episode, in a somewhat off-hand matter, Kirito explains he is a solo player because he dislikes the drama surrounding loot drops. No mention of the fact that he might also solo because he still feels guilty over what happened to Sachi and the Black Cats, or at least a pained expression on Kirito's face? It's almost as if the Kirito of episode 6 exists in a different universe from the Kirito of episode 3.

Similarly, the "world-building" is really "fact-building", and poorly done at that. The viewer isn't really learning much about how Aincrad proper works, but rather random facts that don't seem all that important.

For example, in this episode we learn that married couples share all of their items when Asuna explains it to Kirito. Really, she is explaining it to the audience, because after over a year in-game, Kirito should be aware of this fact. What's more, this seemingly random bit of knowledge immediately becomes the key to Kirito solving the mystery. Of course, this fact, having served its purpose, may never be mentioned again.

Another example of this is from episode 4, where Silica is apparently unaware that Pina can be revived until Kirito explains it to her. It's really not believable that Silica, as a beast tamer, wouldn't be aware of this information, but it was required for the story. Whether the pet revival flower ever matters again remains to be seen.

I still enjoy SAO, but watching it so far just feels like there are more interesting stories going on in Aincrad that I'm not seeing.
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 21:29   Link #60
Wigwams

so, can someone tell me who was the cloaked person who kirito chased over the roofs?