AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-02-05, 18:14   Link #1
cnnydz
Feed me

The Oreo invades Britain!

What fresh vulgarity have the Yanks brought now? Milk dunking! (actually that sounds pretty good)
http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0513/p20s01-woeu.html

but anyway, [The Yanks] are trying to snatch the biscuit from our mouths and replace it with a tackier piece of inferior confectionary
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-20406639/

today, just out of curiosity, i bought a pack of oreos from my local tesco, and wow they tasted bad, they certainly do have an attractive appearance but they taste just like pieces of dried out mud.

Now, do you think they have a place in the british market, and if so do they deserve it.
cnnydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 18:31   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

The articles you link are from nearly a year ago now so it's hardly breaking news. And given how much impact the Oreo has made in the U.K. it seems most of the claimed £4.5 million advertising campaign was wasted.

But no-one is forcing you to eat them, let alone purchase them. If you don't like them then ignore them. As for a place in the British market, it's just another biscuit, no big deal.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 18:48   Link #3
cnnydz
Feed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
The articles you link are from nearly a year ago now so it's hardly breaking news. And given how much impact the Oreo has made in the U.K. it seems most of the claimed £4.5 million advertising campaign was wasted.
well i never said this is any news, the articles are for references, and this thing is new in my area, i haven't seen them until recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
But no-one is forcing you to eat them, let alone purchase them. If you don't like them then ignore them. As for a place in the British market, it's just another biscuit, no big deal.
i certainly wouldn't buy them again, but anyway what do you think of them, have you tried them? do you like them? what do you like about them? because apparently they are mighty popular in other parts of the world, and i justed want to know what do people like about oreos
cnnydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 19:05   Link #4
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Oreo's are pretty good and I haven't tired the British Biscuit yet too.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 19:42   Link #5
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnnydz View Post
well i never said this is any news, the articles are for references, and this thing is new in my area, i haven't seen them until recently.

i certainly wouldn't buy them again, but anyway what do you think of them, have you tried them? do you like them? what do you like about them? because apparently they are mighty popular in other parts of the world, and i justed want to know what do people like about oreos
I've had them before

not really fond of em but if they're there I'll eat em

I much prefer the almighty Custard Cream plus Oreo don't go with a good auld cuppa as well as british bics.

my honest opinion is american snacks don't compare to European stuff, especially chocolate.
I got nothing against americans but anyone that says Hershey chocolate is good I'm somewhat inclined to smack em one
Old 2009-02-05, 19:45   Link #6
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Most american candy are mass produced so they don't get the human touch ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 21:00   Link #7
Liddo-kun
is this so?

There are Oreos sold in the convenience store near the clinic where I work.
Aside from being more expensive than the average cookie and it's hard to brush them out of my teeth (I'm a neat freak when it comes to my teeth *-*). I think Oreos are ok.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-02-06 at 06:06.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 21:05   Link #8
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Most american candy are mass produced so they don't get the human touch ^^
At least as part of troop rations they helped win WWII, and stayed in until the major confectionery industry in Europe recovered.

Going back to topic: Sure, Oreos do taste strange for some palates (especially for people used to sweet or unflavored biscuits), but the sweet cream filling offsets the slightly bitter taste of the chocolate biscuit.

For most Americans, it's soul food. So, being more of an American product (with mom, apple pie, and freshly-mowed grass), Oreos will go well only with fresh milk, chocolate milk, or coffee.

Still, for a change and since I'm in Manila, looks like I want to try visiting my local Marks & Spencer store.
Old 2009-02-05, 21:15   Link #9
klowny
OH NO

I'm an American (i like to feel special) and i don't like the taste of Oreo's, i guess I'm more of a Chips Ahoy Person
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 21:20   Link #10
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowny View Post
I'm an American (i like to feel special) and i don't like the taste of Oreo's, i guess I'm more of a Chips Ahoy Person
I should've known... Another personal favorite. Blame it on me (as a Navy brat) for being used to PX goods for so long.
Old 2009-02-05, 21:45   Link #11
Clarste
Human

I don't think anyone likes the cookie/biscuit part of Oreos... We Americans just eat it for the sweet cream stuff in the middle. They used to acknowledge this in advertisements when I was a kid (twist it apart, lick the cream off, throw away the biscuit).
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 23:09   Link #12
Shadow Kira01

I had ate Oreo quite a few times though I don't really like the taste. It is too sweet.. One piece is always too much.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 23:30   Link #13
Cherudim Arche

I used to have Oreo pretty often when people brought them to parties. At that time, I could eat quite a few. Now, I just avoid getting Oreos, for it is too sweet for me to handle.

Last edited by Cherudim Arche; 2009-02-05 at 23:40.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 05:30   Link #14
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Wow, I always thought that Oreo is an international brand where you can even find people eating in the Middle East.

We've been eating Oreos in Singapore for a long time, British brands as well. We now even have Oreos in our 'snack rations' in the army.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 08:33   Link #15
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Wow, I always thought that Oreo is an international brand where you can even find people eating in the Middle East.

We've been eating Oreos in Singapore for a long time, British brands as well. We now even have Oreos in our 'snack rations' in the army.
Those are from the SFI (made and packaged in Singapore). If you keep them in the hot sun, they are gone (mine got torched together with my solid fuel).

But I thought milk has always been healthy for dunking in. Cleopetra used it to keep her skin soft and smooth.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 09:10   Link #16
Amray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnnydz View Post
...today, just out of curiosity, i bought a pack of oreos from my local tesco...
I like your choice of market.

Anyway I personally dislike Oreo's, but it is not exactly big news. Some people like things that others do not, it is natural. With regards to Oreo's, it proves the same as any other food source. Their place of production bears little response if I'm honest.

I would think it more appropriate to produce a thread based on their other more monstrous snacks; Beef-Jerky for example. Instead of mud it tastes like used car tyres that have been smothered with herbs, garlic, and out-of-date chicken.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 13:53   Link #17
sa547
*Author

Ah, well... since Oreos are bit more expensive here (and most don't like the bitter taste), I opted for a cheaper, local copy called Cream-Os (more flavors like fudge, and including a chocolate-coated variant):

http://www.universalrobina.com/2005/...every-cream-o/

http://ameblo.jp/leahdizon/entry-10201800381.html
Old 2009-02-06, 14:11   Link #18
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I don't like Oreo biscuits much.. there flavour is well to strong. They're sickly.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-06, 14:24   Link #19
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
I don't like Oreo biscuits much.. there flavour is well to strong. They're sickly.
Which is why dunking it in a glass of milk cuts down some of that strong flavor. Otherwise, break open a pack of Danish biscuits.
Old 2009-02-06, 14:28   Link #20
Amray

...or you should try chocolate digestives....Cadbury ones!
Do they sell Cadbury digestives anywhere other than Britain? I can bet that other countries have Dairy Milk bars and such, but what about their digestive biscuits? They are quite a recent product, which is why I ask.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote