AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-20, 08:01   Link #161
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Re: the actual plane/simulator debate:
I remember why I wrote "simulator" first time around. Kawamori used the term "戦闘機の練習機" - fighter plane for training, which I assumed was just a simulator. But then he makes the comment that "the feeling of the sky at that time was amazing..." So, I'm guessing it's like a car for teaching learners - the teacher sits beside you and directs you, and is able to take over the controls if something happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
That's why I don't do many commentary. There is so much other banter that I just don't' care about sometimes.
It doesn't bother me since I like listening to what the seiyuu talk about most of the time. But the Macross ones so far are definitely better than the Durarara!! ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Embarrassingly, I haven't listened to much of the commentary...

Not, that is, since I was checking all of the commentary tracks to see which one had Bobby interviewing Hiroshi Ohnogi. But I wasn't really listening then...just checking.
It'd be awesome if you would though - four ears are better than two!!

(...I read about what happened at that time...otsukaresama deshita m(_ _ )m...)

Ah, and @magnus
It was Sheryl's attitude that did it for me too (long before they squirreled her away when the Vajra attacked - Alto was definitely the idiot there), especially that stuck up "they'll only be looking at me anyway". It may have been the truth, but that's not something you say to others.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 08:08   Link #162
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
It'd be awesome if you would though - four ears are better than two!!

(...I read about what happened at that time...otsukaresama deshita m(_ _ )m...)
Arigato! fumu...taihen deshita...

Anyway, yeah...I find it tough to follow along with either the commentary or the radio show...usually I can understand what they're talking ABOUT, but that's about it. Scripted dialogue is a hell of a lot easier to get than natural speech. Especially unusually QUICK natural speech.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 08:09   Link #163
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Why is everyone bashing her attitude towards Cathy? To Sheryl, she was a person who did not matter to her and someone she would probably never see after that concert. She also has to put on airs because she is Sheryl Nome. I'm not saying she wasn't being a bitch, Cathy was right about that, but there are reasons for why she did it.

And I am afraid I don't remember much of the Vajra stuff so I can't add that into my opinion or analysis; I haven't watched this since it aired.
Old 2010-10-20, 08:23   Link #164
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Arigato! fumu...taihen deshita...

Anyway, yeah...I find it tough to follow along with either the commentary or the radio show...usually I can understand what they're talking ABOUT, but that's about it. Scripted dialogue is a hell of a lot easier to get than natural speech. Especially unusually QUICK natural speech.
Tell me about it. orz I've been listening to radio shows for over 2 years, and they've really helped with my listening, but it's still a chore...

Still, the Frontier commentary hasn't been too bad so far *nudge nudge*

Quote:
She also has to put on airs because she is Sheryl Nome. I'm not saying she wasn't being a bitch, Cathy was right about that, but there are reasons for why she did it.
It wouldn't matter if she was the Queen - if I met anyone that behaved in that matter, there's no way I'd want to know them any better. Of course that may have been precisely what Sheryl was aiming for.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-10-20, 08:27   Link #165
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
It wouldn't matter if she was the Queen - if I met anyone that behaved in that matter, there's no way I'd want to know them any better. Of course that may have been precisely what Sheryl was aiming for.
Yeah. I don't think she is the nice and sweet girl we love just yet, but I don't see her being a mean bitch so she acted that way towards Cathy for some kind of reason. We saw how she was with Grace and she was not mean, so you know she can be nice if she wants.
Old 2010-10-20, 08:34   Link #166
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Tell me about it. orz I've been listening to radio shows for over 2 years, and they've really helped with my listening, but it's still a chore...

Still, the Frontier commentary hasn't been too bad so far *nudge nudge*
Hint taken...

We'll see. I honestly find it difficult to concentrate on two series at any given time, so I've been (mostly) staying away from other things while I work on SDFM TV stuff. Every time I start watching something else, I get drawn away from the SDFM material...which isn't good, since I'm getting awfully late on delivering it. Even with the first episode of Frontier, I just zipped through to find (and grab) the Nanase bits.

Quote:
And I think it's DEFINITELY what the scriptwriter was aiming for. You introduce a bunch of characters (Alto, Michael, and Luca) that the audience SHOULD instinctively like, and then add another character who bashes them without knowing them...it's MEANT to create tension, and make the audience dislike the second character.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 09:08   Link #167
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Hint taken...

We'll see. I honestly find it difficult to concentrate on two series at any given time, so I've been (mostly) staying away from other things while I work on SDFM TV stuff. Every time I start watching something else, I get drawn away from the SDFM material...which isn't good, since I'm getting awfully late on delivering it. Even with the first episode of Frontier, I just zipped through to find (and grab) the Nanase bits.
I kinda understand how you feel. I'm debating whether I should watch just the commentary episodes because I need to move on with some translation projects of my own...

Though if you can spare time occasionally, yoroshiku ne!

Quote:
And I think it's DEFINITELY what the scriptwriter was aiming for. You introduce a bunch of characters (Alto, Michael, and Luca) that the audience SHOULD instinctively like, and then add another character who bashes them without knowing them...it's MEANT to create tension, and make the audience dislike the second character.
That's precisely what they were aiming for :
Quote:
Early in the commentary, Kawamori-sensei notes that they wanted to make Sheryl seem, not quite evil, but somewhat hard/stern(きつい), and then develop it from there to show what kind of person she "really is".

- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-10-20 at 09:59.
Old 2010-10-20, 09:48   Link #168
Father Hentai

Quote:
Why is everyone bashing her attitude towards Cathy? To Sheryl, she was a person who did not matter to her and someone she would probably never see after that concert. She also has to put on airs because she is Sheryl Nome. I'm not saying she wasn't being a bitch, Cathy was right about that, but there are reasons for why she did it.

And I am afraid I don't remember much of the Vajra stuff so I can't add that into my opinion or analysis; I haven't watched this since it aired.
It depends. I mean it is not a secret that we have a bunch of people who are pro Sheryl and all you say against her is either a point to bash you or to bash other characters.

For someone who watches the series for the first time Sheryl indeed acts like a selfish self confident b1tch but this will change later the series.
Old 2010-10-20, 11:02   Link #169
wisteria233

Well here's one way about it, the screen writers wanted us to think that she was a bitch a brutally honest bitch, but still a bitch and they succeeded. It makes the character more well-rounded if they can have negative aspects to their personality which can change over the course of the series.

But anyone besides thought Alto was a tad bit annoying in the first episode?
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 12:27   Link #170
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I didn't care for Alto at all. The only things he did that stand out are not commendable. Still trying your fancy stunt and then blabbering to Sheryl like it'll make a difference instead of helping the other people.
Old 2010-10-20, 13:28   Link #171
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
But anyone besides thought Alto was a tad bit annoying in the first episode?
Depends. If you love his tsun tsun mode, then there's no hate at all.
Old 2010-10-20, 13:30   Link #172
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Ah! I'm late, Super late. Sorry :x

I watched through the first part of the Frontier movie (the concert part)
Then Went back and watched Episode one...

I have to say I still prefer the series opener, Though it has much more to do with the music making more of an Impact then anything.

Though I have to say I don't really like any of the characters through the first episode.. They probably grew (or soured) on me as time went on. I understood Sheryl's concern but the way she expressed it was unacceptable. Alto was just a little too.. arrogant? (I guess is a way to put it). And I just don't like the kind of character Ranka is her head is "too high in the sky".
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 15:32   Link #173
magnuskn

Quote:
The question then becomes to me, why make this the only time in the whole series that the character acts that particular way? One would think that the build-up from that portrayal should have been a bit more gradual, instead of just inserting one such scene and then having every other appearance on the show make her look much better.

Anyway, the original question I was asking ( and which apparently nobody understood it to be such, which is surely my fault ), was rather "So what did you think of Sheryl based on her two scenes before that moment at the dressing room?".
Old 2010-10-20, 16:04   Link #174
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
was rather "So what did you think of Sheryl based on her two scenes before that moment at the dressing room?".
She likes Strawberry pie?
Old 2010-10-20, 16:22   Link #175
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
The question then becomes to me, why make this the only time in the whole series that the character acts that particular way?
The thing is, that wasn't the only time. At least I remember not liking her character until well after Star Date. But we'll get back to that when we get to the later episodes, won't we?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 16:36   Link #176
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
The thing is, that wasn't the only time. At least I remember not liking her character until well after Star Date. But we'll get back to that when we get to the later episodes, won't we?
Beto, why don't you answer the question I actually pose, instead of going off on another tangent which leaves me scratching my head how you can interpret my actual question in totally another way?
Old 2010-10-20, 16:52   Link #177
Dop
Mmmm....

I'm a little bit late to the show as I just came across this thread, and I think I'm up for this. I've been planning to rewatch Frontier for a while.
Just grabbing the Central Anime subs as mentioned earlier. Back when the first subs came out I was preferring .AVIs as I could stream them through my XBox 360, but since then I've got a better media player hooked up to my TV so I can watch through that.
Oh my. What a difference a BD rip makes. Damn you Harmony Gold....

I'd never seen any Macross before I saw this, but I was soon completely hooked on it, the spectacle of the big space battles, the plotting and intrigue, the romance and the music.
Oh god yes, the music.

Ranka with the 'spaniel-ear' hair, and her weird 'phone.
Alto, who everyone called 'princess' but we didn't find out why until later.
Sheryl, the BIG STAR, full of herself and not knowing how her life would drastically change.

Grace. How could we have foreseen what would become of Grace?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 16:56   Link #178
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Depends. If you love his tsun tsun mode, then there's no hate at all.
I wasn't talking about Alto's Tsun Tsun mode, it was pretty much the same reasons why I kinda didn't like Sheryl at the start either.

Actually they said why they called him princess in the first episode.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-20, 16:57   Link #179
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
I wasn't talking about Alto's Tsun Tsun mode
That's what i thought you mean though, i mean Alto is pretty much tsun for 90% of the first episode, so you can't blame me.
Old 2010-10-20, 18:02   Link #180
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
The question then becomes to me, why make this the only time in the whole series that the character acts that particular way? One would think that the build-up from that portrayal should have been a bit more gradual, instead of just inserting one such scene and then having every other appearance on the show make her look much better.
Time constraints.

Quote:
Beto, why don't you answer the question I actually pose, instead of going off on another tangent which leaves me scratching my head how you can interpret my actual question in totally another way?
Because he probably wants to remember more of the future episodes, as do I. I can't make a solid case since I simply don't remember enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That's what i thought you mean though, i mean Alto is pretty much tsun for 90% of the first episode, so you can't blame me.
Can a guy even be tsun?

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch