AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-06, 19:22   Link #1
tektonik
I can see that speed

Why do some guys look and act like girls?

Sorry if its been asked I searched a few times if you can point out a thread that covered this I would enjoy that as well.

Characters like Okita(Peace Maker) and Haku(Naruto) are two examples. Some of their dialoge makes them sound a bit female. Okita asking "Why don't you play with me anymore?" while leaning on a guy or the itamacy between Haku and Zabuza. They wear a bit of female clothing I think in some parts, when Haku approaches Naruto in the forest.

Is this in my head or is there some reason?
Old 2004-04-06, 19:57   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It's not in your head, but there isn't really a good reason either. It is just a schtick that a lot of anime have adopted over time. I do wonder which anime started that character type. Perhaps someone knows the answer. (Probably kj1980 does.)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-04-06, 20:18   Link #3
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Some anime increase their crossover potential by including androgynous or slightly effeminate male characters. I didn't watch either of these series, but just googling the names brought me to a couple of websites where female viewers gushed over these 2 characters you mention.

Marron Glace in Bakuretsu Hunters (TV - 1995) and Aburatsubo Ayanojou in Mahou Tsukai Tai! (OAV - 1996) are examples of characters of this sort from older series.
Old 2004-04-06, 20:26   Link #4
emessen

it's to attract an audience that otherwise wouldnt bother with the manga/anime...

plus it's just another vehicle to carry jokes...
Old 2004-04-06, 21:42   Link #5
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
Well Okita-san definitley bought a lot of humor into PMK, took me a while to figure out he was a guy.
Old 2004-04-06, 21:49   Link #6
tektonik
I can see that speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by husyk
Well Okita-san definitley bought a lot of humor into PMK, took me a while to figure out he was a guy.
Yeah I know, and I first thought it was an error in the fansub that Haku was referred to as a he.
Old 2004-04-06, 21:51   Link #7
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Nuriko from Fushigi Yugi definitely one of those too. ^^
Old 2004-04-06, 22:11   Link #8
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Well, all the examples that have been given are not purely effeminate characters. Okita Souji was one of the deadliest swordsmen of the Shinsengumi, Haku was Zabuza's 'ultimate weapon' (and I dont think he wore girls clothes..I thought that was just a yakuta type thing), Nuriko had that super strength..so on and so forth.

I would like to say that theyre placed in anime because their multidementions make them interesting characters, and not only that but people who are balanced in both gender personalities are said to be increasingly healthier than an excessively masculine male or overly feminine female (and its not like guys who joke about "playing" don't exsist) But its most likely so that the anime can increase their audience to girls whos vice is salacious relationships between men. (mmm...salacious)
Old 2004-04-07, 00:24   Link #9
shiznitty

aww, you guys forgot the dude from Getbackers ( i really thought he was a girl), with the strings ( i think it was the strings, and he also had earrings). and later on, he takes a shower in a waterfall...

but those people in Saint Beasts..... I still think they're girls with manly (partially) voices
Old 2004-04-07, 00:41   Link #10
Secca
nya`
*Artist

You'll find alot more feminim guy on shoujo mangas. ^^
Old 2004-04-07, 12:19   Link #11
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
girlly guys are popular..

it appeals to guy because it looks like a girl so guys would watch that anime.
it appeals to girls because they look so pretty and admire them.

it appeals to two sexes.. usually girly girls are more attractive than guyish guys..
Old 2004-04-07, 13:38   Link #12
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindialai
it appeals to guy because it looks like a girl so guys would watch that anime.
it appeals to girls because they look so pretty and admire them.

it appeals to two sexes.. usually girly girls are more attractive than guyish guys..
i agree on that one, male/female hybrid characters (what other way to call them) are in my opinion often the coolest in the entire anime. I loved those in Peace maker, in get backers, in Naruto, ...

Basically alot of fetish like things (cat girls, male/female hybrids/...) tend to appear in anime, i guess the japanese are more openminded than we are.
Old 2004-04-07, 13:52   Link #13
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

There are stereotypical hybrid (girly-men, manly-women) characters on
North American television too (ie: Will & Grace). There is even fetish shows
if you happen to be watching the right channel at the right time...

We just don't animate our fetishes.
Old 2004-04-07, 15:33   Link #14
Marduk
Shitennô no Hitori

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that there is an ancient Japanese beauty concept for men, namely "to be as beautiful as a woman". And it's still being used for bishônen and biseinen characters, not only in shôjo-mangas but also in other genres. Sai from HnG, Kenshin or Griffith from Berserk come to mind here. ^^
Old 2004-04-07, 16:06   Link #15
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Yeah Griffith is like the ideal image of a saviour. Male female, young old admires him.
Old 2004-04-07, 17:21   Link #16
LinChoiSin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
Yeah Griffith is like the ideal image of a saviour. Male female, young old admires him.
Griffith is a very peculiar character and i'd say that his appearance is the opposite of what he really is but it looks like most of the time girly characters are good guys.
Old 2004-04-07, 17:29   Link #17
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

most of the time artists just stick effeminate characters in an anime to attract female viewers
here's a snippet from when i was talking with a girl from my anime club
me: so, who's your favorite anime character of all time
Very Crazy Girl: SESSHOUMARU!
me: ...ok, do you know what show he's from?
Girl: Inuyasha
me: do you know what it's about?
girl: some guy, and a girl, they don't show enough sesshoumaru
me: do you know "some guy"'s name?
girl: no
me: ...
Old 2004-04-07, 17:31   Link #18
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznitty
aww, you guys forgot the dude from Getbackers ( i really thought he was a girl), with the strings ( i think it was the strings, and he also had earrings). and later on, he takes a shower in a waterfall...

but those people in Saint Beasts..... I still think they're girls with manly (partially) voices
You mean Kazuki of the Strings? He was pretty cool, and depending on the epsiode, he either looked like a really badass fighter, or a girl.

Anyway, to me it's more odd NOT to have an effeminate guy in the series. It's like the "token black guy" you see in all these North American movies.
Old 2004-04-07, 17:32   Link #19
LinChoiSin

your friend is right,Sesshoumarou really is great and they don't show hil enough in Inu Yasha
Old 2004-04-07, 18:58   Link #20
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinChoiSin
your friend is right,Sesshoumarou really is great and they don't show hil enough in Inu Yasha
this same girl perks up whenever someone uses the phrase "gay man/guy"
Closed Thread