AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2012-11-16, 15:15   Link #2081
Nikkili

I very like K-ON, but I haven't finished watching 2nd season yet.
I think, K-ON has very good meaning. Girls are playing, drinking tea and having fun. They are happy about what they have. In a movie we can see, that they aren't so talented to have an army of fans abroad, only some people and their schoolmates like them, but they are happy anyway.
It's a very big problem for our generation - we just can't be happy about what we have. We need to demand more and more things from ourselves and others. We think something like "Oh, I'll achieve this thing, and then I'll be happy", but sometimes our target is too big to achieve or we achieve it, but it doesn't make us happy. We complain more and more and years are passing by.
K-ON is an inspiration! So that's my opinion.
Nikkili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 20:42   Link #2082
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

That's pretty much what K-On! boils down to, telling viewers that there is joy to be taken in seemingly trivial things, and that sometimes, it is worthwhile to stop and smell the roses.
Old 2012-11-18, 08:30   Link #2083
Witheirate

Man, I really miss K-On!!

It's like something missing from my daily live. The characters really grow in your heart....
Old 2012-11-18, 13:57   Link #2084
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witheirate View Post
Man, I really miss K-On!!

It's like something missing from my daily live. The characters really grow in your heart....
Honestly, it really did. (*´▽`*)
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-26, 08:45   Link #2085
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
That's pretty much what K-On! boils down to, telling viewers that there is joy to be taken in seemingly trivial things, and that sometimes, it is worthwhile to stop and smell the roses.
I just watched the movie.

And now I read this.

Almost cried IRL.

Its hard to be believe, but I hope K-on! goes on to become a generational classic much like Macross and Magical Girl La-La are. Sure, K-on! spawned a whole series of copycats and led to a string of endless mindless moe done horribly wrong. But still, someday, I'm going to show my kids the whole series.

Hopefully they'll see what we've seen, and spread on that message of appreciating the small things in life.

AFTERNOON TEA IS THE ESSENCE OF OUR EXISTENCE!!
Old 2012-12-02, 20:32   Link #2086
MexicanAnime

K-On...did not enjoy that.

Look, I don't have a problem with slice of life as I can enjoy shows like Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star. There's also no problem for me if a show has the stereotypical "moe" character designs as I can enjoy shows like Clannad, Kanon, and once more, Lucky Star. What K-On tries to do is try to set up a plot in the beggining making you believe that they're going to actually play music(HEY GUYS REMEMBER BUTOKAN?!) and that it's going to be really music oriented when all they really do is lounge around and do nothing(HEY GUYS, FORGET PLAYING MUSIC, LET'S HAVE 4 BEACH EPISODES AND WEAR MAID OUTFITS) and try to make everything comedic. Honestly, this wouldn't trouble me if it weren't for one thing. That being that it's not even funny.

Now I can admit and say I chuckled a few times through the course of the show, but it soon turn to me rolling my eyes as what their comedy consists of is "OH NO, I DROPPED A BUNCH OF PAPERS. HOW CLUMSY OF ME" and the annoying characters didn't help either.

Let's take a look at them. Yui is really annoying with her childish behavior and is really too stupid to the point where it bothered me. It also didn't help that the creator was basicly like "HEY YOU KNOW HOW PEOPLE NEED TONS OF PRACTICE TO PLAY? NAH, FUCK THAT, LET'S MAKE HER TONE PERFECT". Ritsu is kind of the same as Yui with just more of a hyper personality and it wasn't as bad with her, though could still get annoying at times. Mugi I didn't care for much and I just viewed her as the chick who woke up to the real world (I'VE NEVER HAD FRIES BEFORE. HALF SALES, WHAT ARE THAT!?) even if she is rich. Mio wouldn't be that much of a problem if it weren't for one little thing. She gets scared from literally ANYTHING and she would always freak out to the point where she would even faint if she saw a cover of a CD (which she did). Azusa tried to make them play music and tried to act serious, but then she ends up always wearing cat ears and conforming. Wow.

Also, the fans can deny it all they want, but there was fanservice even if it's not the typical panty shots and boob jiggling. The way the camera angles were and to where it focused was quite bothersome and you can tell it was trying to cater hard to those who love the "moe" character designs.

I can say more, but I think i'm done for now. Now there has to be something in K-On that I liked, right?

N---Yeah, there actually is. The second ending to the second season, even if it does lie to the viewer and try to make the show look good.

If you like the show, that's fine, but those were just my own honest opinions on the matter .
Old 2012-12-03, 04:10   Link #2087
trenton_dawn
Silt

I actually didn't think K-ON was that funny either, although my wife does (maybe my sense of humor just isn't in tune with the show). And the plot bait-and-switch annoyed me for quite a while. I think what warmed me up to the show is that I did end up liking the characters. Although they're not that deep I found them endearing (although I get if people don't think so). For example, Yui's always-sunny disposition made up for her airheadedness. And I thought the characters interacted really well with each other, it was really believable that they were such close friends.

The fact that we never see them practice actually never bothered me. I think it's because their practice is stated/implied in the show (for example, Yui continually playing the guitar instead of studying for tests), and while I'd like to see more of it, other people probably don't and it wasn't really a focus of the show.

I did think season 2 was much stronger than the first, possibly because with a full 24 episode season they had more time to flesh out the characters.
trenton_dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 05:05   Link #2088
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
I actually didn't think K-ON was that funny either, although my wife does (maybe my sense of humor just isn't in tune with the show). And the plot bait-and-switch annoyed me for quite a while. I think what warmed me up to the show is that I did end up liking the characters. Although they're not that deep I found them endearing (although I get if people don't think so). For example, Yui's always-sunny disposition made up for her airheadedness. And I thought the characters interacted really well with each other, it was really believable that they were such close friends.

The fact that we never see them practice actually never bothered me. I think it's because their practice is stated/implied in the show (for example, Yui continually playing the guitar instead of studying for tests), and while I'd like to see more of it, other people probably don't and it wasn't really a focus of the show.

I did think season 2 was much stronger than the first, possibly because with a full 24 episode season they had more time to flesh out the characters.
Totally agree, expect I find the childish humor hilarious just cos it reminded me of how my friends/family and I interact with each other. It wasn't the story that got me, it was the Music, the bond with characters you build, beautiful animation (my favorite style of animation), and that chill laid back feeling. Despite the lack of real story, I fond it as a perk since it is a slice of life (daily life) ordeal. I like the mini morals/themes in the show (in today's world people learn a thing or two) stuff like friendship, working hard, teamwork, kindness to others, even telling the truth, and many more. When a turn of evens does happen its nothing too dramatic, and more of a realistic relief. Overall K-On! is a slice of life I truly relate too, and the thing I love about it is that K-On! has never failed to give me a good laugh or smile when watching!

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2012-12-03 at 20:09.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-03, 17:00   Link #2089
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I will readily concede the first 8 episodes had me thinking "wtf?" in regard to the utter lack of practice and music. But by the time the series was over, I have an entire shelf of music, concerts, and such including Death Devil as a bonus. So that complaint is mostly mute now. I love the series and highly recommend it - especially to young female teens looking for anime they can connect to that isn't a rolling cliff of negativity.

My remaining complaint is that we didn't see them even try to go pro (while bands around them were clearly making the step). I'd have almost rather followed the antics of the "scary band" they met at an open mike night one episode.

I think it boils down to something "terrible" in the culture - that you can dream in high school but then real 'salaryman/housewife' life just buckles you down so don't even try. It also seems to emphasize a depressing notion of the *replaceability* of characters, as if the setting is more important than the characters in it. It seems to infect a lot of anime, not just K-On!
Old 2012-12-03, 17:09   Link #2090
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One can always visualize the ED songs as their entries into professional music. Or at least college videos made while under the College Light Music Club. ("Don't Say Lazy" seems like something their club leader would get them to do...plus first year would still be without Azusa).

Also we only got maybe a little more that half a year of them in college with the story.
Old 2012-12-03, 17:15   Link #2091
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
One can always visualize the ED songs as their entries into professional music. Or at least college videos made while under the College Light Music Club. ("Don't Say Lazy" seems like something their club leader would get them to do...plus first year would still be without Azusa).

Also we only got maybe a little more that half a year of them in college with the story.
Aye, I was confining my remarks to the anime series. I give the author a lot of points for even TRYING to engage in a college setting (though he couldn't seem to let go of the high school setting).

And that's how I viewed the EDs (either college mode or pro mode) (unless they exemplify a possible future that never happened - erg, that's depressing).
Old 2012-12-03, 20:54   Link #2092
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

Even from a realist perspective, not all hope is lost I know several friends who have full time occupations and gather on the odd weekend to play phenomenal music. With this as a reality and thus, plausibility within K-On!, I would like to believe that the girls produced their more noteworthy music (e.g. Don't Say Lazy) perhaps during university or shortly after. K-On! ended on an open note: this is the beauty of an open ending, allowing our imaginations paint the stories to our liking.

From this viewpoint, the K-On! depicted in the high school setting might be seen as how a band got together and from humble beginnings, eventually become sufficiently proficient to put together the music we see in the ED/OP sequences, perhaps for a university-level club. I can dream, right?
Old 2012-12-03, 21:23   Link #2093
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is true, I know a number of people with "day jobs" who play in local clubs at night. They're professional - they simply don't expect to "go big" or they don't want to make what is fun turn into "not fun".
Old 2012-12-03, 21:25   Link #2094
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This is true, I know a number of people with "day jobs" who play in local clubs at night. They're professional - they simply don't expect to "go big" or they don't want to make what is fun turn into "not fun".
The "not fun" case tends to come up when the big record companies get involved, right?
Old 2012-12-03, 22:35   Link #2095
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
The "not fun" case tends to come up when the big record companies get involved, right?
That would be one of the scenarios, yup. ;P
Old 2012-12-04, 04:34   Link #2096
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think think of them as a weird Japanese (and genderbent) version of the Beatles. And imagine them going in that direction. Perhaps with the breakup as well, though for some reason I can't imaging Yui really having creative differences with any of them with her attitude towards everything. Mio and Ritsu migh get in fights, but Ritsu isn't really a song writter. I don't see them makig Mugi mad. Which leave Azusa as the one that might have creative issues with the others. But then, she does have her own band as well now, so that might be the "split" with a four girl HTT going one way and Azusa's band going another (with friendships still in place mostly because of course Sumire and Mugi are nearly family while Ui and Yui ar sisters.)
Old 2012-12-06, 09:34   Link #2097
Night_Music
The End of Light

What Do I have to say about K-On?

It's one of those special anime that puts a smile ion my face whenever I watch it (and not a lot of anime can do that. They are usually either "too boring" or "too dramatic"). The light atmosphere, the everyday situations that we can relate to, and the lovable characters, all the ingredients to make a really special slice-of-life anime.

What I don't like is what some people's negative views regarding the show. The unjustified use of "the overrated plot-less moeblob" line is getting really annoying. K-On DOES have a plot. The moment that they decided to form a band, and reach for Budokan, that moment introduced the plot. People either don't see it, or just ignore it's existence.

Sure, it's not one of those "save the world" kind of anime. There's no supreme villain bent on world domination, nor did anyone experienced a dramatic death in the series. But K-On should not be compared to those genres, since it's like trying to compare cake to a sword (two totally different things). K-On has it's own good sides, and I just wished that people will see more of it.

Oh and BTW, 50% of the songs in my playlists are anime songs. And a huge portion of it are K-On songs. So yeah, I like the series, and highly recommend it. And More K-On...
Night_Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 14:44   Link #2098
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Music View Post
What I don't like is what some people's negative views regarding the show. The unjustified use of "the overrated plot-less moeblob" line is getting really annoying. K-On DOES have a plot. The moment that they decided to form a band, and reach for Budokan, that moment introduced the plot. People either don't see it, or just ignore it's existence.
The problem I see with K-ON, plot-wise, is that its stated main plot (forming a band, going to Budokan) and its actual main plot (the girls bonding as a club and as friends) aren't the same. Unlike, say, Lucky Star, which doesn't really establish a main plot, K-ON does, but it is missing from a large number of episodes, especially in season two, and is highly deemphasized in many of the episodes it does appear in (for example, S01E04 "Training Camp", despite the name, has only a few minutes where its even mentioned).

Now, if both of those themes interest you then you're just fine, but if you were drawn more by the music plot than by the characters, then of course you won't like K-ON when it doesn't focus on the music. So I think it's mostly a case of the show setting up unrealistic expectations. If less people went into it expecting the show to be highly music-oriented, less people would leave feeling betrayed.
Old 2012-12-07, 10:03   Link #2099
Night_Music
The End of Light

At first I was expecting it to be more music-oriented, showcasing how a band practices together, how they pull off breath-taking performance (and probably how the band breaks up and the members go on separate ways). Though that wasn't exactly the case, I learned to appreciate what the creators want to portray to the fans (or so I've thought at least). I don't mind the lack of screen time on their practices (a 30-min show of them practicing and hitting wrong notes, considering Yui's "skill", is kinda boring). Though the few snippets of their live performances was a bit of a let-down (I wanted more of it). Still, I found the series to be very enjoyable.

On another note, there are moments that really made me laugh. S1EP10 for instance, I bust into laughter because of Mio's epic scream. Yeah, simple, well-timed shenanigans can give anyone a smile (I'm a fan of slapstick comedy, if you're ever wondering)
Night_Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-07, 16:57   Link #2100
trenton_dawn
Silt

Even if the show featured more of them practicing there are ways to make that interesting--after all, the things they actually do in the show don't sound interesting but are (at least, I think they are). But I'm sure those of us who aren't musicians/musically oriented would rather watch them do things other than play music.

Tags
comedy, light music, seinen