AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2008-02-21, 17:04   Link #1
Blackbeard D. Kuma

General Discussion on the Marines / Navy [Manga]

As we all know, the marines is one of the three great world powers in the one piece universe. Amongst its vast repertoire of marine personnel, there is a hierarchal system of ranking in place. This hierarchal ranking system is as follows (from top to bottom of authority): Fleet Admiral, Admiral, Vice Admiral, Commodore, Captain, Commander, Lieutenant Commander, Lieutenant, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Ensign, Master Chief Petty Officer, Chief Petty Officer, and Seaman Recruit. Please note that I have taken this hierarchal information from wikipedia as a reference, so it takes credit. Regarding the marine personnel, every individual is bestowed a title of rank based on seniority, combat experience, and skill proficiency.

When comparing the marines to the other two great powers (shichibukai and yonkou), it is evident that the marines have the largest force. Its numbers far exceed those of the shichibukai and the yonkou. However, based on what we have seen so far, a lot of low level marines constitute the bulk of the marine force. The marines high caliber individuals basically comprise the ranks of Fleet admiral to Commodore. Now, considering Ace's imprisonment in Impel Down and Blackbeard successfully claiming the vacant warlord position, it is likely that the great incident foreshadowed at the end of Blackbeard's duel with Ace is going to come to fruition. It has been speculated by many of us fans that this is going to adversely affect all three of the world powers and create a big change in the one piece world. Having said this, most likely the Marines top ranked officials are all going to somehow be involved in this affair. So, the purpose of this thread is to speculate on what roles you think the high ranked officials in the Marines force are going to play in the story to come. When I talk about high ranked officials, I am talking about characters such as Sengoku the Buddha, Aokiji, and Garp. Anything else concerning the characters in the Marines force can also be talked about here. Have fun.
Old 2008-02-21, 17:38   Link #2
james0246

Finally, I saw Blackbeard asking to create this thread a week or so ago, and have been waiting for its creation since. The power and the strength of the various members of the Marines/Navy has always intereted me and confused me. The great difference between captains let alone the difference between a Captain and a Commodore (all the members that fought against the strawhats) can be confusing (especially when Smoker is considered).

So, here is my first question: Does Dr. Vegapunk have a rank and what does he do? Doctors, in the real world, are generally given an officer rank for their duties and experience. So, I am guessing that Dr. Vegapunk has to have a rank of at least Lieutanant (or is Ensign the first officer rank, I do not know?) if not higher. He will additionally have 'power' much the same as Spandam from the CP9 (i.e. he will be in charge of stronger characters than himself).

Also, Who else thinks that Vice-Admiral Tsuru is going to play an important role some time in the future? I don't know why, but really like this old woman. Probably becuase she is named the "Great Tactician", and nothing's hotter than a smart woman, even if she is older than dirt .

So let us start with thess simple questions.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 18:09   Link #3
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
So, here is my first question: Does Dr. Vegapunk have a rank and what does he do? Doctors, in the real world, are generally given an officer rank for their duties and experience. So, I am guessing that Dr. Vegapunk has to have a rank of at least Lieutanant (or is Ensign the first officer rank, I do not know?) if not higher. He will additionally have 'power' much the same as Spandam from the CP9 (i.e. he will be in charge of stronger characters than himself).

Also, Who else thinks that Vice-Admiral Tsuru is going to play an important role some time in the future? I don't know why, but really like this old woman. Probably becuase she is named the "Great Tactician", and nothing's hotter than a smart woman, even if she is older than dirt .

So let us start with thess simple questions.
In response to your first question, I guess we are just going to have to wait and see Dr. Vegapunk's formal introduction. Dr. Vegapunk may very well have a title that is given exclusively to him only. Perhaps his title may be scientist or research analyst. I suspect that he would be given a rank that is very high considering how valuable he is to the world government. I do agree with you that he probably does have body guards protecting him, for a person of his stature should definitely be protected at all times. He is most certainly a valuable asset to the marines force.

As for Vice-Admiral Tsuru, I absolutely agree with you that she is going to play an important role in the future. She is arguably the smartest character in the marine force considering that she is the "Great Tactician" and that she directly relays her information to Sengoku the Buddha himself. She probably gives Sengoku a lot of strategies for subduing pirates that have become severe nuisances to the World Government. Seeing her in action is going to be sweet.
Old 2008-02-22, 11:33   Link #4
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Speaking of Vice Admiral Tsuru, I found it quite funny how in the manga she actually told Doflamingo to stop messing around at the marine headquarters. She treated him like an immature little child by saying something along the lines of "Doflamingo, this is your doing yeah? Be a good boy, Stop." I didn't like how the anime reenacted this scene by not having her speak at all. If Whitebeard does end up raiding Impel Down, it would be interesting to see her formulate a plan that would repel any of Whitebeard's advances. This would be a good opportunity to showcase her tactical brilliance I feel.

Regarding the three admirals, known as Aokiji, Akainu, and Kizaru, it is interesting to note what their ideologies are on justice so far. Aokiji has his own personal sense of justice by doing what he truly believes is the right thing to do in the given circumstances. He would never go so far as to jeopardize the lives of innocent people as a means of adhering to the status quo (absolute justice) of the marines. Contrary to Aokiji's beliefs on justice, Akainu believes in eradicating all evil by any means necessary. In other words, Akainu strictly believes in absolute justice. If any civilians happen to be in the way throughout the course of apprehending pirates, he would victimize those civilians without hesitation just to catch those pirates. Now, this might just be me, but in the story yet to come I can definitely see Aokiji and Akainu getting into a fight. It is clearly evident that there is quite a bit of tension and friction going on between these admirals. Akainu so far has exhibited himself as a ruthless villain and if he is to go too far with his beliefs in the future, he just might provoke Aokiji into stopping him. Finally, we have Kizaru who is yet to make an appearance in the story. We don't know anything on his views of justice, but what do you all speculate his justice perspective will be like?
Old 2008-02-22, 13:31   Link #5
james0246

Well when we were first introduced to Aokiji and then had some back ground info on Akainu, I thought that finally Oda would have soem characters that would play around with the conceptes that Oda's mentor Nobuhiro Watsuki (Oda was one of the main assistants to Nobuhiro Watsuki) had used in his manga Rurouni Kenshin.

Aokiji has thoughts similiar to Kenshin's benevolent justice (i.e. will fight for the people in front of him, not the world at large). Akainu seems to have Saito's views of justice - "Aku Soku Zan" Slay Evil Immediately/Swift Death to Evil, wherever he sees the possibilty of evil he strikes with a vengeance. So it is possible that Kizaru could have a sense of justice similiar to Makoto Shishio (only the strong survive) or Kaoru Kamiya's protect everyone.

This, of course, is just a guess, with little fact, but maybe some creedence .

I do hope Vice-Admiral Tsuru does something in the future. Oda isn't as bad as some other manga-ka are in regards to portraying female strength (hell Robin by herself could take out half or more of the current Strawhats with ease), but he will on occassion leave them to the side to focus more on the manly fights. So, I hope Tsuru has a great moment to shine in the near future.

My next question is, do the marines (from Sengoku on down) know what the Void Century is hiding, or are the Gorosei ultimately controlling all that information and simply using the Marines as guard dogs to cover up the truths? Also, does the Cipher Pol organization work for Sengoku or are they directly commanded by the Gorosei?
Old 2008-02-22, 15:55   Link #6
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
My next question is, do the marines (from Sengoku on down) know what the Void Century is hiding, or are the Gorosei ultimately controlling all that information and simply using the Marines as guard dogs to cover up the truths? Also, does the Cipher Pol organization work for Sengoku or are they directly commanded by the Gorosei?
Chances are there are a few members in the marines that do know the truth behind the void century. Now, this is just my speculation, but I would think that such individuals would probably be Sengoku the Buddha, maybe Aokiji, Vice Admiral Garp, and Vice Admiral Tsuru. These characters have been around since Gol D. Roger's era and they were most likely both well informed and involved in the events up until his death. Take Garp for example. He cornered Gol D. Roger many times and if he himself was ordered to capture Gol D. Roger, he must have known from his superiors what Roger's motives were and why he was such a threat to the World Government.

Regarding the Cipher Pol organizations, I believe that the World Government founded all of them. The marines are a supporting force that act on behalf of the world government, so any of the marines' services would be accessible to the CP9 as well. However, the Cipher Pol's superiors are still the five elder stars (Gorosei). They were the ones who wanted Robin executed for the Ohara incident and her ability to decipher the ponyglephs, so they sent out the CP9 to apprehend her. In essence, the Cipher Pol organizations do collaborate with the marines to purge the world of pirates and any other potential threats, but their missions are mandated from the World Government.
Old 2008-02-23, 15:44   Link #7
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I have been contemplating on what abilities Akainu and Kizaru could possibly have. Considering that Aokiji has the power of Ice, which does coincide with the color blue he represents, it is likely that Akainu and Kizaru may also have devil fruit abilities that also complement their respective colors (red and yellow). I was thinking that perhaps Akainu may have a molten lava devil fruit, but Kizaru's ability is quite hard to guess since the color yellow is hard to correlate to devil fruits. I guess I'll have to leave it up to Oda's wild imagination. But who knows. Maybe Akainu and Kizaru are not devil fruit users and their colors signify something else. What does everyone think about Akainu's and Kizaru's possible abilities?
Old 2008-02-23, 16:16   Link #8
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I have been contemplating on what abilities Akainu and Kizaru could possibly have. Considering that Aokiji has the power of Ice, which does coincide with the color blue he represents, it is likely that Akainu and Kizaru may also have devil fruit abilities that also complement their respective colors (red and yellow). I was thinking that perhaps Akainu may have a molten lava devil fruit, but Kizaru's ability is quite hard to guess since the color yellow is hard to correlate to devil fruits. I guess I'll have to leave it up to Oda's wild imagination. But who knows. Maybe Akainu and Kizaru are not devil fruit users and their colors signify something else. What does everyone think about Akainu's and Kizaru's possible abilities?
I think that Oda will be a little tricker about his powers and colors.

I think that Oda will have all three types of Devil Fruits will be represented: Paramecia, Zoan, and Logia. We allready know that Aokiji is and has been for 20+ years a Logia user. So, I think Akainu will be a Zoan type, and that Kizaru will be a Paramecia type.

I claim that Akainu will be a Zoan type user because of his similarities to Lucci from the CP9. Their belief in Absolute Justice is very similiar, so i wouldn't be surprised if Oda would draw a natural connection between the two by having a similiar Devil Fruit ability. I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually a dog, or at least a had eaten some sort of Dog or Jackel fruit. Though, the dog fruit had already been eaten by Mr. 4's gun, and Bellamy was known as the Hyena, so the "Red Dog" actually being a dog is doubtful. Rather I expect him to be another cat of some sort, prefferably a lion .

I claim that Kizaru is a Paramecia user...for no real reason, I just think it would be cool to have all the types of Devil Fruits present, especially since we have three Admirals. Since Kizaru's colour is yellow, he could have some sort of disease power. Or because it is a monkey, he could have some sort of sly and cunning power ala illusion or something to that extent.
Old 2008-02-24, 13:11   Link #9
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
I think that Oda will be a little tricker about his powers and colors.

I think that Oda will have all three types of Devil Fruits will be represented: Paramecia, Zoan, and Logia. We allready know that Aokiji is and has been for 20+ years a Logia user. So, I think Akainu will be a Zoan type, and that Kizaru will be a Paramecia type.

I claim that Akainu will be a Zoan type user because of his similarities to Lucci from the CP9. Their belief in Absolute Justice is very similiar, so i wouldn't be surprised if Oda would draw a natural connection between the two by having a similiar Devil Fruit ability. I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually a dog, or at least a had eaten some sort of Dog or Jackel fruit. Though, the dog fruit had already been eaten by Mr. 4's gun, and Bellamy was known as the Hyena, so the "Red Dog" actually being a dog is doubtful. Rather I expect him to be another cat of some sort, prefferably a lion .

I claim that Kizaru is a Paramecia user...for no real reason, I just think it would be cool to have all the types of Devil Fruits present, especially since we have three Admirals. Since Kizaru's colour is yellow, he could have some sort of disease power. Or because it is a monkey, he could have some sort of sly and cunning power ala illusion or something to that extent.
I really like these ideas of yours. Having the three admirals representative of the three classifications of devil fruits is likely. It would make sense that Akainu and Kizaru are not logia users because Aokiji is considered to be the strongest out of the three admirals. It is most likely his ice logia fruit that makes him stronger than Akainu and Kizaru, since logia fruits are the best and most powerful overall. Regarding Akainu having a zoan fruit, I am all for this. We need to see more zoan fruit users in my opinion and he would be a really good choice for this type of fruit. He should become a really vicious and ruthless animal since it would fit his persona very well. Maybe a bull zoan fruit would be good for him . As for your idea of giving Kizaru a disease power, that would be awesome and hilarious . This ability could make him extremely dangerous especially if there is no doctor around to supply a remedy to his victims.
Old 2008-03-04, 16:52   Link #10
sanzo
33million Humming Brook

when did it say aokiji is the strongest out of the three admirals? but anyways ya thats a cool idea though about the three admirals each having a diff type of devil fruit. anyways my theory is that the great event yet to come is whitebeard declaring war on the world gov to get ace back. maybe with the help of shanks's crew. so to of the three great powers going at it. but then i guess the world gov would call in the schichibukia to help them and then that would be all 3 fighting all though it wud be 2 to 1.
sanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 18:20   Link #11
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanzo View Post
when did it say aokiji is the strongest out of the three admirals? but anyways ya thats a cool idea though about the three admirals each having a diff type of devil fruit. anyways my theory is that the great event yet to come is whitebeard declaring war on the world gov to get ace back. maybe with the help of shanks's crew. so to of the three great powers going at it. but then i guess the world gov would call in the schichibukia to help them and then that would be all 3 fighting all though it wud be 2 to 1.
Volume 32: Love Song
Chapter 303: The Super-Rich Pirates!

Gorousei: "The Marine Headquarters' Strongest, "Admiral" Aokiji..."

The five elder stars directly state that he is the strongest man in the marines, therefore making him stronger than Akainu and Kizaru. Again, he is probably the strongest because of his ice logia fruit. However, I am willing to bet that Sengoku the Buddha will be even stronger than him, especially considering the fact that he is the fleet admiral, which is the highest rank in the whole marines force.
Old 2008-03-07, 21:08   Link #12
sanzo
33million Humming Brook

oh hey u right it did say that, guess i missed that
sanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 11:45   Link #13
Blackbeard D. Kuma

It is interesting to note that it is Coby's dream to become an admiral. Having said this, it makes you wonder if one of the current admirals will retire or perhaps get kicked out for ignoring world government or marine protocol.

If the former happens, I think that Aokiji would be the one to retire, consequently allowing Coby to take his place as the new admiral. This would make sense and Aokiji would definitely deem Coby worthy of taking his place due to the fact that Coby follows his own sense of justice. Coby would be the ideal successor to Aokiji in my opinion because he is genuinely a good person that stands for what he believes is truly virtuous.

If the latter is to happen, I think that Aokiji would be the one to get kicked out and have his rank stripped from the Marines. The reason I think it would be him is for two possible scenarios. The first scenario is that I can see a situation where he is given an order from the World Government that he knows is wrong and thus refuses to do it. Not fulfilling this order would then be of a major consequence to the world government by causing them a great deal of turmoil, so as a punishment they would have Aokiji exiled from the marines force. The second scenario I can foresee is Akainu going on a massive rampage to apprehend someone the world government wants dead, but then Aokiji intervenes and prevents Akainu from completing his mission. This would greatly upset the world government and they would then take matters into their own hands by stripping Aokiji of his rank and having him disband from the marines force.

Anyways, these are two possible ways that I speculate on how Coby could possibly become an admiral within the present timeline. Moreover, if Luffy does end up getting caught when he becomes the pirate king, I think that Coby is going to be the one to catch him. If anyone is interested, please share your thoughts on this matter.
Old 2008-03-10, 12:11   Link #14
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

I don’t see Aokiji going anywhere. If he were going to leave the Marines or be exiled for his actions it would’ve happened by now. Not only is he fairly good at keeping his frowned upon activities secret the Marines and the WG are way too undermanned or powerful enough to let such a powerful character go. Look at Kuma who failed to do his duty but remained a Shichibukai. Look at Garp whose son is an infamous pirate and yet he’s still a marine and a high ranked one at that.

What I see happening is as follows at some point during the story perhaps towards it’s ends Luffy will have faced most if not all the major proponents of absolute justice and defeated them resulting in either a change of heart or removal from the Marines ala Morgan. Furthermore the WG has been set up to fall but the Marines are necessary for the OP world to have any semblance of order. It’s all well and good for the Marines to use the terror tactics when they’re only answerable to a Gvt that supports the use of fear as a means of control but once it’s ousted they’ll be answerable to the very people they terrorised probably in the form of the Council of Kings (there’s almost no chance they’ll be free to do as they please with no one giving them orders) thus they’ll likely need to be more people friendly thus no absolute justice. As a result of the above mentioned defeats and change in philosophy many ranks will be opened up allowing for the promotion of characters like Coby and Smoker who’ve stated their desire for increased rank. I see Aokiji becoming Fleet Commander, as he’s already high ranked and has a tolerable sense of justice.

Now as for Coby I really don’t see why he’d rise up to the position of Admiral with any great speed. The only thing special about him is his determination and his growth rate but even assuming he masters Rokushiki one has to point to the fact that at present the benchmark for Roku users is Base Lucci which whilst impressive isn’t all that amazing. Even assuming he’s a better Roku user than Lucci he’d still need a DF or some sort of hax ability to put him in the Admiral position. Either way I’m sure power isn’t the only requirement for rank otherwise Smoker’d be more than a Commodore and Coby’d be at least a Captain. It seems experience and a bit of ass kissing is necessary and going by Oda’s comment on Smoker and Hina getting their ranks so quickly due to their abilities it’s likely that there’s a bit of ageism at work in the Marines as well. Now this might also change to the above-mentioned reasons but I don’t see all this happening any time soon.
Old 2008-03-10, 18:53   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.I.P. View Post
I don’t see Aokiji going anywhere. If he were going to leave the Marines or be exiled for his actions it would’ve happened by now. Not only is he fairly good at keeping his frowned upon activities secret the Marines and the WG are way too undermanned or powerful enough to let such a powerful character go. Look at Kuma who failed to do his duty but remained a Shichibukai. Look at Garp whose son is an infamous pirate and yet he’s still a marine and a high ranked one at that.

What I see happening is as follows at some point during the story perhaps towards it’s ends Luffy will have faced most if not all the major proponents of absolute justice and defeated them resulting in either a change of heart or removal from the Marines ala Morgan. Furthermore the WG has been set up to fall but the Marines are necessary for the OP world to have any semblance of order. It’s all well and good for the Marines to use the terror tactics when they’re only answerable to a Gvt that supports the use of fear as a means of control but once it’s ousted they’ll be answerable to the very people they terrorised probably in the form of the Council of Kings (there’s almost no chance they’ll be free to do as they please with no one giving them orders) thus they’ll likely need to be more people friendly thus no absolute justice. As a result of the above mentioned defeats and change in philosophy many ranks will be opened up allowing for the promotion of characters like Coby and Smoker who’ve stated their desire for increased rank. I see Aokiji becoming Fleet Commander, as he’s already high ranked and has a tolerable sense of justice.

Now as for Coby I really don’t see why he’d rise up to the position of Admiral with any great speed. The only thing special about him is his determination and his growth rate but even assuming he masters Rokushiki one has to point to the fact that at present the benchmark for Roku users is Base Lucci which whilst impressive isn’t all that amazing. Even assuming he’s a better Roku user than Lucci he’d still need a DF or some sort of hax ability to put him in the Admiral position. Either way I’m sure power isn’t the only requirement for rank otherwise Smoker’d be more than a Commodore and Coby’d be at least a Captain. It seems experience and a bit of ass kissing is necessary and going by Oda’s comment on Smoker and Hina getting their ranks so quickly due to their abilities it’s likely that there’s a bit of ageism at work in the Marines as well. Now this might also change to the above-mentioned reasons but I don’t see all this happening any time soon.
To each his own I suppose. What I said in my previous post was that those two scenarios were two possible ways of making Coby an admiral within the current timeline. Your theory in your second paragraph certainly has credence for the reasons you explained. I was not trying to make my theory on Coby's rank ascension indisputable fact. It was just my speculation, that is all. Also, Garp is not a very good example of a character maintaining rank. Both his son's and grandon's actions are completely out of his hands because he has no control over them, for they have taken their own paths in life.

Also, why can't you see Coby being promoted to admiral status in the near future? If Luffy is going to become the pirate king in the near future, which will presumably be at the end of the story, why can't you believe that Coby will also achieve his dream of becoming an admiral by this end point? You do know that not a lot of time has elapsed since the beginning of the story right? If I am correct, I don't think even a year has gone by since Luffy embarked on his quest to become the pirate king, and look at how much Luffy has progressed in strength. Likewise, Coby has vastly improved since the beginning, so I don't think it is a far fetched idea for him to become an admiral by the end of the story. You also have to remember that Luffy and Coby are destined to meet each other again, and when this happens, they will both be far beyond their current fighting capabilities. This inevitable meeting all the more reinforces the probability of Coby quickly rising in rank as the story progresses.
Old 2008-03-11, 03:42   Link #16
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
To each his own I suppose. What I said in my previous post was that those two scenarios were two possible ways of making Coby an admiral within the current timeline. Your theory in your second paragraph certainly has credence for the reasons you explained. I was not trying to make my theory on Coby's rank ascension indisputable fact. It was just my speculation, that is all. Also, Garp is not a very good example of a character maintaining rank. Both his son's and grandon's actions are completely out of his hands because he has no control over them, for they have taken their own paths in life.

Also, why can't you see Coby being promoted to admiral status in the near future? If Luffy is going to become the pirate king in the near future, which will presumably be at the end of the story, why can't you believe that Coby will also achieve his dream of becoming an admiral by this end point? You do know that not a lot of time has elapsed since the beginning of the story right? If I am correct, I don't think even a year has gone by since Luffy embarked on his quest to become the pirate king, and look at how much Luffy has progressed in strength. Likewise, Coby has vastly improved since the beginning, so I don't think it is a far fetched idea for him to become an admiral by the end of the story. You also have to remember that Luffy and Coby are destined to meet each other again, and when this happens, they will both be far beyond their current fighting capabilities. This inevitable meeting all the more reinforces the probability of Coby quickly rising in rank as the story progresses.

The thing is Garp still interacts with his son and grandson. Anyway becoming pirate king requires strength and ability but becoming a high ranking marine requires more than that as I stated earlier. Obviousley power and ability help but Smoker's a shining example of such persons not advancing on that basis alone and Coby's certainly stronger than most people of his rank so why's he being held back.

If your system is based on fighting your way to the top anyone srong can advance irrespective of age, gender, etcetera but in a bog standard organisation there's going to be prejudices at work and typical old boy's network

Coby I can see becoming an Admiral by catching Luffy but not becoming an Admiral and then catching Luffy

Last edited by M.I.P.; 2008-03-11 at 10:25.
M.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 13:14   Link #17
CrumCon

im not really fond of Coby catching luffy in the future, im not even sure if he can do that. Luffy will be too strong in the future. he even beat many strong guys that has alot of experiences.

unless Coby ate a DF.. then we could have another story.

But when will they show us a badass marine.. cause Smoker is the only badass we have seen from marine and aokoji
CrumCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 18:22   Link #18
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrumCon View Post
im not really fond of Coby catching luffy in the future, im not even sure if he can do that. Luffy will be too strong in the future. he even beat many strong guys that has alot of experiences.

unless Coby ate a DF.. then we could have another story.

But when will they show us a badass marine.. cause Smoker is the only badass we have seen from marine and aokoji
You are really underestimating Coby. He is currently being trained by Vice Admiral Garp, the man who cornered Gol D. Roger many times and who is arguably in the top tier of the marines personnel. Coby is a character with high aspirations, much the same as Luffy, and we all know that characters who have powerful dreams will go really far in the story. Because of these circumstances, I will not be surprised if Coby ends up being on par with Luffy at the end of the story. Also, he doesn't necessarily have to eat a devil fruit to be really strong. Based on what we have seen so far, Garp and Shanks don't appear to have devil fruits and Luffy wouldn't stand a chance against them in a fight. Coby just still has a long ways to go before he can get the title of admiral, but until then he is going to be getting stronger at an accelerating pace.

Also, you really only consider Smoker and Aokiji to be the only badasses in the marines force? What about characters like Sengoku the Buddha, Garp, and Akainu? These guys, to me at least, definitely fit in the badass department.
Old 2008-04-29, 20:59   Link #19
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I just thought of an idea on why I think a bull zoan fruit would be appropriate for Akainu. Akainu has made it clear that he will sacrifice anything in his way for the sake of absolute justice in order to apprehend or eliminate his "target". I correlate this notion of excessive violence to bloodshed; which symbolizes the colour red he represents. As for why a bull would be an appropriate animal for him, well, a bull is known as a ruthless and dangerous animal when provoked and it indiscriminately attacks its targets when in an enraged state. This behaviour is much the same as the behaviour that Akainu exhibits when he is in pursuit of his "target"; he has no regard for anyone and will kill anything in his way if necessary in order to catch his prey. So, I think that it will be his cruelty and the collateral damage, meaning the people that are victimized by his assaults, that he causes that deem a bull zoan fruit as appropriate.
Old 2008-04-30, 17:37   Link #20
tatwanasi
"ABH AMH"

I always like your ideas Blackbeard D. Kuma and I would like to see Akainu`s powers as you describe them. But let me offer an alternative to your model. I also like the idea that Admiral Akainu would have a Zoan fruit. But why not state the ovious choice for a `red dog`as in a dingo... I know I know too ovious and Oda is well known for giviong twists and turns at every page...specially when there`s hype behind a character, but there...I said it just so its stated somewhere in this thread.
tatwanasi is offline   Reply With Quote