AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you use to watch anime?
Media Player Classic 29 58.00%
Zoom Player 18 36.00%
Core Media Player 4 8.00%
Windows Media Player 9 18.00%
VLC 5 10.00%
Quicktime 2 4.00%
RealPlayer 3 6.00%
iTunes 1 2.00%
Other (Please specify in post) 8 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-03-20, 04:33   Link #41
martino
makes no files now

I prefer MPC, since it works really nicely with CCCP and never had any problems with it. Also I'm usually not too fussy about the GUI, but then when I get sick of its simplicity I just fire up TCMP. Sometimes I use MPlayer as well, but that's more like for testing purposes, which brings me to VLC...just to see how badly it copes with softsubs. :P
Old 2007-03-20, 07:22   Link #42
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but maybe the answer is because the poll lets a person choose more than one option?
I'm referring to exactly what I said in my post. Here is a screencap at the time of this post if it will help you understand, shortened to a more friendly size. Note the percentages, they don't add up to 100%. Pray tell why do multiple choices change the maths involved? You take the number of votes per choice and divide it by the total number of votes (which seems to be incorrect).

Example: There are 47 votes total at the time of this screencap (you can count them yourself). To find the percentage of people who voted for MPC, you take the votes for MPC (15) and divide by the total (47) and multiply by 100. Answer is 31.91%. Not 50%. Are all poll counts screwy, or just because this one was reset? Either that or I've already lost all sanity n_n.

Old 2007-03-20, 08:03   Link #43
Devastator

At first, I must say that I did wonder about that when you brought it up. However, I understand more as to why the percentages don't add up. Just as you noted, in your example in which all the numbers are being divided by 30 is because 30 people voted.

The percentage is a percentage of the number of people who voted for that player out of the number of people who voted. Suppose for example, everyone voted for MPC, and some had multiple votes in other areas.

If one were to divide the number of people that voted for MPC by the number of people that voted in total, it would show that everyone that participated in the poll acknowledged that they all use MPC.

If it were to divide the number of people that voted for MPC by the number of votes total (as in the summation of all player votes), it would seem like only a portion of the population that voted uses MPC (which would not be true).

So, the results aren't messed up. It just appears odd due to the capability of voting for multiple players.
Old 2007-03-20, 09:49   Link #44
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
I'll use them if you can point me to an English fansub that's only available in a QuickTime format. It's not like my QuickTime Player is doing anything right now, at least iTunes is playing some of my music files.
I believe Hataraki Man is encoded with QuickTime. You can check with Arienai to make sure. Running "midentify" from the mplayer suite on a Hataraki Man episode reports "mov" as the required demuxer.

On the subject of percentages, any time there are multiple responses to a survey question you can calculate two different percentages. One is the percentage of respondents who gave a particular answer; that's the figure reported on the site. Nicholi's approach calculates the percentage of responses falling into a given category. That's also a valid approach in some situations, but it doesn't tell us the proportion of people using a particular player.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2007-03-20 at 10:11.
Old 2007-03-20, 10:49   Link #45
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I use BSplayer. It gives people some problems, supposedly especially when used alongside CCCP, so I don't recommend it for everyone. As Nicholi mentioned, it is also a bit fussy about wanting to use its own internal filters. The options are relatively versatile, however; I chose not to go with CCCP, since I didn't mind playing with options in both BSPlayer and FFDShow to achieve optimal results for my systems, and it's worked better than other players for me (largely because it supports my Winamp DSP plugins. Search around for the Enhancer plugin, it is far superior to any equalizer).

Unfortunately, BSPlayer now requires that you install some crapware along with it. Norton (corporate edition) detected it for what it was and wouldn't allow the adware component to install. I don't know that I'd recommend the player to users these days.

I still use the freeware BSplayer (which is available aswell)...There are 2 versions I use (They came after version 1 and before adware version)...one is white and the oither is blue...Since I reinstalled XP on my comp about a 4 months ago I've had pretty miuch no probs at all playing anything in BS...Since I don't use BS adware I don't know how much it sucks...But freeware still gets the job done...I can see why people moved on I guess but BS just has some simplistic and cool qualities that I enjoy more than those other guys combined...and since I can play low-sized fansubs in DivX using it's own filters I have the best of both worlds for what I like...I also didn't want to use CCCP (It took me like a year before I finally gave in) because it feels like I'm installing psuedo-Microsoft in the way ffdshow takes over...CCCP feels almost corporate to me, like they are just one or two improvements a way from selling that $hit to Bill Gates...but if I wanted to play mp4 and non-divx h264 with no probs I had to get it...For whatever reason it now works with BS player with no glitches for me...Only super high quality HD episodes (like One Piece) or movies give me probs since my comp performance isn't all that (Only Zoom for some ungodly reason can decently play it if I make it high priority in Task manager)...

Anyways tell me more about this plugin...I believe I had it before...In any event I want to try it out if it's "superior"....

P.S. for that nameless cur..."Can we say coward?"
Old 2007-03-20, 12:15   Link #46
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I voted for MPC and WMP, because I use them both. I was using mostly just WMP, till the last Manabe Straight episode convinced me to install VSFilter, instead of using the subtitling in FFDShow (which worked fine for Bartender and Pumpkin Scissors).

After installing VSFilter, WMP doesn't use the VMR renderer anymore with subtitled MKV files, and the video renderer it does use (called "video renderer", in the filter lists of Vobsub and FFDShow) acts screwy, in a way I can't describe with words. It's like the Horizontal doesn't want hit the same start point for each scanline, but wanders back and forth by 3 or 4 pixels, creating a wavy, fuzzy effect.

I can still use WMP 11 with non-subtitled mkv files and all AVI/MPG/MP4 formats.

Anyhow, I use both players, so I voted for both players.
Old 2007-03-20, 14:17   Link #47
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Note the percentages, they don't add up to 100%. Pray tell why do multiple choices change the maths involved? You take the number of votes per choice and divide it by the total number of votes (which seems to be incorrect).
Now I'm sure it's because the poll lets you choose more than one option at the same time. I believe Devastator and SeijiSensei have explained why, but anyways, If I vote for both MPC and ZP, then my vote would be counted twice even though there is only one voter, me. That's why the sum of the number of people who voted for each player is bigger than the actual total number of voters. Hence, the difference in percentage that you see. So the way you get the percentage shown on the poll is the number of people who voted for each player, 15 in MPC's case, divided by the actual total number of people who voted (shown at the bottom of the poll, in your case 30). Multiply by 100 and you get 50%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I believe Hataraki Man is encoded with QuickTime. You can check with Arienai to make sure. Running "midentify" from the mplayer suite on a Hataraki Man episode reports "mov" as the required demuxer.
I have episode 6 from them, QuickTime can open the file and play the audio just fine but does not play the video for it. I heard it's because QuickTime's support for H.264 is incomplete or something like that.
Old 2007-03-20, 14:54   Link #48
Devastator

QuickTime does have some support for h.264, but I suppose you could consider it incomplete.

For example, profiles. QuickTime does not support high profile. Main or baseline need to be used (but using baseline is just stupid). The necessity of main profile disables the availability to use certain options, eg. adaptive DCT, I8x8 macroblocking, etc.

Additionally, from what I read, QuickTime does not work well with more than 1 B-frame. I believe I had tested this claim early on to find that playback is slowed noticeably enough with even 2 B-frames.
Old 2007-03-20, 18:24   Link #49
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Ahh I had no idea you could also vote for multiple players as well. Multiple options to me does not immediately mean you can have multiple votes. How does one cast the 2nd vote? Or is that only done when you make the first, I must have totally missed it.

I'd also forgotten people still think they need to have multiple players. Instead of using just one that works n_n.
Old 2007-03-20, 18:38   Link #50
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Here's the Enhancer Winamp DSP plugin. It is skinnable.

I was originally going to switch to Zoomplayer because Zoomplayer also supports Winamp DSP plugins. BSplayer was working fine for me and Zoomplayer was going to require some hacking through the settings, so I ended up staying with BSplayer.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with having multiple players, especially if you go through a lot of media files. You can't anticipate running into an issue with the player that you're using.
Old 2007-03-20, 18:42   Link #51
Devastator

Quote:
How does one cast the 2nd vote? Or is that only done when you make the first, I must have totally missed it.
In brief, you did. The options were in the form of check boxes, not radio buttons as is often the case.

I only voted for MPC, since it's my mainstream video player.
Old 2007-03-20, 21:22   Link #52
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I'm thinking that perhaps when I recreate the poll, it should be just a single vote.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-03-20, 23:01   Link #53
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Quote:
Ahh I had no idea you could also vote for multiple players as well. Multiple options to me does not immediately mean you can have multiple votes. How does one cast the 2nd vote? Or is that only done when you make the first, I must have totally missed it.

I'd also forgotten people still think they need to have multiple players. Instead of using just one that works n_n.
He used checkboxes instead of radio buttons, so you just click on every box you use, then hit the vote button. Can't go back after you voted the first time though.
Old 2007-03-20, 23:38   Link #54
Iridium
Defective JSM-01L

MPC, because it's rock-solid and I've used it for years, although if I had to start over again, I'd probably pick The KMPlayer (the one based out of Korea for Windows, not the Linux player of the same name.) The configurability of it is absolutely astounding, and just overall it is a slick, well-done player. I'm always surprised it is not more popular than it is among the viewing community.
Old 2007-03-23, 20:43   Link #55
PurpleLightning

BS player for me... hacked for fun, its skins kick major A(dollar signs)!!, the new zoomplayer does contain internal codecs or rather makes you download them, and mpc for everything mkv or ogm... and dont forget BS has that desktop playback dont know any other player that does that. its the only way to view videos in fullscreen and multi-task without having to come out of fullscreen... well with the taskbar, but that can be made to hidden tho' cant it? dont remember about irregular resolutions outside of 4:3 though.
Old 2007-03-24, 02:56   Link #56
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLightning View Post
the new zoomplayer does contain internal codecs or rather makes you download them
No internal codecs whatsoever. That codecs nagging screen has been there since at least version 4.5. It should for all intents and purposes be ignored and is in fact disabled in CCCP for obvious reasons.
Old 2007-03-24, 08:52   Link #57
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLightning View Post
and dont forget BS has that desktop playback dont know any other player that does that. its the only way to view videos in fullscreen and multi-task without having to come out of fullscreen...
MPlayer:
Code:
mplayer -vo directx -rootwin <FILE>
Other players using the overlay mixer can also do this through a clever hack involving setting the desktop background to the overlay colorkey, if I recall correctly...
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2007-03-24, 23:49   Link #58
marka
pocky collector

well then thanks for all the help. i'll try MPC and Zoom for now

Sorry for the choices, i usually stick with TMPC (scared to start downloading random players that might contain...stuff)
Old 2007-03-25, 06:08   Link #59
martino
makes no files now

Well, TCMP does contain "stuff" if you never noticed...
Old 2007-03-25, 07:45   Link #60
Naruto_Demon
Senior Gundam Pilot

Send a message via MSN to Naruto_Demon Send a message via Yahoo to Naruto_Demon
I quess I'm one of the very few that use RealPlayer (might also be because I have an old computer)