AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana II - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 85 63.43%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 26.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 5.97%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.75%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.24%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.75%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-12, 13:01   Link #161
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

It'll be cool if he can summon parts of the armor on command, and it materializes on him, that'll be awesome.
Old 2008-03-12, 13:06   Link #162
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

As long as it isn't a naked transformation sequence, I'll let it slide. However, shredding your shirt by flexing ala Kenshiro is still acceptable.
Old 2008-03-12, 13:33   Link #163
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

lol, the armor would just materialize over his clothes, like silver flames wrapping around the part of his body and then forms into armor.
Old 2008-03-12, 13:47   Link #164
cnnydz
Feed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
*snip*
don't get me wrong, it not that i don't like her character, i just can't stand the way jc staff portrayed her. i know that she is in a bad situation and all, but that's why i want to hear more of her feelings than just "i want to be with sakai-kun". it is like that the anime skipped pass all of her good points e.g
Spoiler for novel difference:
and focused on making her the most annoying character in the universe.

as for why she is annoying, well i am not saying that she is bad or annoying towards other characters. what i meant was that she is annoying towards us viewers by randomly showing up and repeat the same words and flashbacks again and again. like i said before i wanted to see more than just her saying "i want to be with sakai-kun", i want to see more of her struggles. now i am not a kazumi hater, i like her a lot and that's why i am angry, because i think the anime did her no justice.
Old 2008-03-12, 13:51   Link #165
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I would like Kazumi better if there was more to her than a whiny human who can't do anything at all. She's just... there to give unnecessary drama.
Old 2008-03-12, 13:58   Link #166
cnnydz
Feed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I would like Kazumi better if there was more to her than a whiny human who can't do anything at all. She's just... there to give unnecessary drama.
it is not her fault that she can't do anything, and she is not required to do anyway and i wouldn't call her unnecessary.
Old 2008-03-12, 14:01   Link #167
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

She did her job in season one in making Shana realize her feelings, now everything that has happened in Season 2 is unnecessary drama
Old 2008-03-12, 15:00   Link #168
The Real Nemo

Quote:
She did her job in season one in making Shana realize her feelings, now everything that has happened in Season 2 is unnecessary drama
Except not everyone considers that to be her only purpose, and she certainly doesn't...
Old 2008-03-12, 15:27   Link #169
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnnydz View Post
don't get me wrong, it not that i don't like her character, i just can't stand the way jc staff portrayed her. i know that she is in a bad situation and all, but that's why i want to hear more of her feelings than just "i want to be with sakai-kun". it is like that the anime skipped pass all of her good points e.g
Spoiler for novel difference:
and focused on making her the most annoying character in the universe.

as for why she is annoying, well i am not saying that she is bad or annoying towards other characters. what i meant was that she is annoying towards us viewers by randomly showing up and repeat the same words and flashbacks again and again. like i said before i wanted to see more than just her saying "i want to be with sakai-kun", i want to see more of her struggles. now i am not a kazumi hater, i like her a lot and that's why i am angry, because i think the anime did her no justice.
And that ladies and gentlemen is the kind of post i have been looking for. Thanks Cnnydz i agree with the majority of what you have stated. The writers seem to have a plan or want more from Kazumi but it feels like they do not know how to portray her. I feel her role is not just that of "I love yuji" or "i wont lose" her whole character from season 1 has been geared towards something else but it has been lost in season 2. Episode 21 had her actually helping out even though it was a small part she was doing something. I dont think shes useless just like you i wanted to see more in depth character development from her its not to late for this happen if the writers get on the ball. I like her too shes a sweet girl and doesnt deserve to die, she actually deserves more. cookies for you.

Im not trying to be an ass to people if you want to be a Shana Shipper by all means do so but do it intelligently.

Last edited by Sinestra; 2008-03-12 at 15:53.
Old 2008-03-12, 16:01   Link #170
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Im not trying to be an ass to people if you want to be a Shana Shipper by all means do so but do it intelligently.
Uh yeah what cnnydz's been saying has pretty much been the same that most of us have been pointing out.

Of course no one's going to hunt it down through all these threads/posts.

It's more on the lines of, "yes we know Kazumi, we know that you love Saji, etc." but it just keeps coming back and back.

Though with the Hogu Pheles gave her let's hope she does something with it.
Old 2008-03-12, 16:12   Link #171
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I thought I would throw in my thoughts about Kazumi. Now I don't even remember the first season much, but all I know is this: Kazumi was my favorite character from season one. That means she must've done something right, because we all know that cuteness by itself can be annoying without the correct personality. Whatever she did last season to impress me, it didn't continue on to this season.

I don't see why you people are bashing her though. I think that it's nothing worse than the average romance anime, and our expectations are just way too high from watching the first season. Looking at season two by itself, the greatest flaw is Konoe (not really, but she got way too much screen time with no plot advancement), because the Kazumi-Shana-Yuji triangle is just a typical love triangle. The problem is people keep asking every episode, "Where's the action?" This means that we're not watching it for the romance, but for the other aspects of Shakugan no Shana. What I'm trying to say is romance, action, and comedy are often separate genres for a reason, and combining them to bring about a great series is a very hard task. The first season succeeded; the second season did not. Maybe the second season in JC Staff's eyes is supposed to be a big split between romance and action, with none of them really mixing. If so, then it's sort of our fault for expecting it not to be that way because of the inevitable comparisons to the first season.

I'm really glad I waited and got to see episodes 20 and 21 though. They were really good.
Old 2008-03-12, 18:23   Link #172
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
A really good episode, looks we got to see more jam packed episodes full of fighting
so after the all this stuff Sabrac, would it be right to say that they will be going up against Bal Masque as we near the end of this series?
Old 2008-03-12, 21:29   Link #173
superzombie23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapoExecutor View Post
They could've tried putting the last forty seconds of Overture 1928 when Shana attacked Sabrac instead.
LOL i totally agree with you on that one. And, this episode does not deserve a 10 imo -.-. Compared to the other episodes though, it gets a 10.
Old 2008-03-12, 21:40   Link #174
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Kazumi is evil, she knows Yuji is interested in Shana and Shana is interested in Yuji, but she won't tell Yuji how Shana feels, She's trying to "change" his mind, but thats not happening. Yuji has his mind set, so its not a matter of who he choose, its when it'll all come out in the open. The choice to Yuji is already clear, he wants to be with Shana, period.
Kazumi's thinking, I believe is "If you (Shana) can't confess your love to Yuji, then you don't deserve to be his girlfriend/lover. I confessed my love to Yuji not long after I started to have feelings for him... why haven't you (Shana) confessed yet?"

To a certain extent, I agree with Kazumi.

I mean, it's kind of cute and amusing how bashful and frustrated Shana gets when she wants to confess to Yuji but just can't bring herself to do so (especially when it has the "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" Shana catch-phrase included ) , but still... looking at it from a serious (as oppossed to romantic comedy) point of view, it really is about time that Shana verbally admitted her love for Yuji to him.

She gets a bit of a pass from me due to that awful contrivance that Yuji never heard her confess her feelings to him back at the end of Season 1, but still... Kazumi doesn't know that Shana said that to Yuji, just like Yuji himself doesn't.

As far as Yuji is concerned, he clearly wanted to kiss Shana back in Season 1, but she stuffed melon bread into his face instead. Not only that, but she repeatedly said "I'll never do that with you." to Yuji (refering to kissing him).

Honestly, Shana has made some serious mis-steps here, if you look at the romance triangle from a serious POV. Those mis-steps can be good for laughs, but they still have serious implications for the romance triangle.

I really do hope that Yuji will get to hear "I love you, Yuji" from Shana very soon. It's about time (particularly if Shana Season 2 is the last season of the Shana anime), and only after Yuji hears that, and reciprocates in kind, do I blame Kazumi for not giving up on Yuji completely.
Old 2008-03-12, 23:40   Link #175
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I thought I would throw in my thoughts about Kazumi. Now I don't even remember the first season much, but all I know is this: Kazumi was my favorite character from season one. That means she must've done something right, because we all know that cuteness by itself can be annoying without the correct personality. Whatever she did last season to impress me, it didn't continue on to this season.

I don't see why you people are bashing her though. I think that it's nothing worse than the average romance anime, and our expectations are just way too high from watching the first season. Looking at season two by itself, the greatest flaw is Konoe (not really, but she got way too much screen time with no plot advancement), because the Kazumi-Shana-Yuji triangle is just a typical love triangle. The problem is people keep asking every episode, "Where's the action?" This means that we're not watching it for the romance, but for the other aspects of Shakugan no Shana. What I'm trying to say is romance, action, and comedy are often separate genres for a reason, and combining them to bring about a great series is a very hard task. The first season succeeded; the second season did not. Maybe the second season in JC Staff's eyes is supposed to be a big split between romance and action, with none of them really mixing. If so, then it's sort of our fault for expecting it not to be that way because of the inevitable comparisons to the first season.

I'm really glad I waited and got to see episodes 20 and 21 though. They were really good.
Kazumi had some of that S1 spirit in the early part of S2--remember when she calls Shana's bullshit for what it is when Shana tries to argue that she shouldn't bring bentos, because it'd affect Yuji's ability to fight. Of course, that's not really the reason why Shana wants her to stop bringing the bentos, and Kazumi does a good job standing up for herself. Shana ends up compromising, and the two come to an interesting understanding.

And then the Konoe arc came, and things got derailed for a bit. While the rest of the series recovered, Kazumi's character also seemed off until this ep., where not only is she useful, but she makes some perceptive comments on Yuji's character at the end.

The Konoe arc was painful, complete with Yuji's sudden mushyheadedness. But I think the series has recovered nicely as of late, and I have high hopes for the remainder of the season. I also think that the writers may redeem themselves, if they make the Konoe arc affect Hecate is some sort of long-term fashion. Like you, I also thought that the main problem with Hecate was serious overexposure. Her integration into the story could have been handled well, but instead we got all that contrived jealousy. That being said, how the season ends will matter more than that rough patch, even if S2 doesn't quite match the excellence of the first season.
Old 2008-03-13, 00:09   Link #176
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnnydz View Post
I do have to agree in some ways that the studio could have done some detrimental damage to her character, and yet

Spoiler for novel:

so yeah, I agree with you for the most part, cnnydz.
Its that I'm not seeing much difference.
Old 2008-03-13, 03:44   Link #177
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Yeah, it was a bit sad that Sabrac is already killed after just 2 episodes.

Though if he would have been able to escape, I think it will be hard for them the next time he shows up because Sabrac would think of a strategy to counter their plan to defeat him.
Then pheles-chan would take care of him ( in an epic battle ) *_*. It would have been much better if that happend. That way Pheles would take revenge instead of the trio hazes. Plus i am just guessing the person that Sabrac was reserving Power of existence for was None other than Pheles.
Old 2008-03-13, 03:59   Link #178
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
cnnydz, go to Zero No Tsukaima forum to know how JC Staff can REALLY mess up characters....

I do not think that Kazumi is done all that badly, sure in novels she is much better, but again it is JC Staff and they are not exactly the bests studios here in terms of following novels...

They changed her character made her less interesting, but at least it wasn't the massacre of ZnT. As always, it is bad but it could be worse.

I dont like Kazumi (I like her in novels though) but i do not hate her either. She isnt the strongest character in the anime and can get certainly annoying at some times, but she isnt that bad.
Old 2008-03-13, 04:08   Link #179
cnnydz
Feed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
cnnydz, go to Zero No Tsukaima forum to know how JC Staff can REALLY mess up characters....
lol i gave up ZnT II a long time ago, never made it pass episode 4.
Old 2008-03-13, 10:28   Link #180
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
You are a wise man, cnnydz, I bow down to your greatness...

If only I was so wise and wouldn't have wasted my time on that crap.
Closed Thread