AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-12, 15:50   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Angel Beats! - Character Discussion - Otonashi

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Otonashi related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Angel Beats fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2010-04-14, 13:40   Link #2
SidVicious
Anime addict

Now, what if Otonashi is God in human form who entered this realm just to see what's going on a lost his memories?
Old 2010-04-14, 15:38   Link #3
Scython

Now, that would be very silly.
Old 2010-04-14, 18:14   Link #4
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv

Send a message via MSN to DarkWish
Otonashi sould be main character in those series but evry1 is going after Tenshi .
Old 2010-04-14, 18:58   Link #5
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWish View Post
Otonashi sould be main character in those series but evry1 is going after Tenshi .
Actually, it seems more like Otonashi is merely our vehicle for seeing this story, rather than the story himself. That's not to say that he isn't as important as other supporting characters, but besides his possible romantic link, he's not all that important plotwise.

Though that could easily change depending on his memories, and how he, Yuri and Tenshi continue to interact.
Old 2010-04-15, 16:40   Link #6
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv

Well im not saying that he isn't important .. but yeah ur right he might be our "eyes".

But so far he is umm useless .. he migh be confused about how evrything hapend so suddenly and he has to fight "cute girls" and get some answers. I dont really know what to say at these point .. waiting for episode 3
Old 2010-04-15, 21:03   Link #7
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'm waiting for him to talk to Tenshi since he's our eyes in all of this.
Old 2010-04-16, 16:04   Link #8
babohtea

I hope he becomes more significant.
Old 2010-04-16, 23:53   Link #9
totalnet

Yes, I feel to agree with those who this he is God like the plot of 'Death Takes a Holiday/Meet Joe Black", but with God's memory erase or maybe an Angel sent to infiltrate the resistance like the plot of 'Total Recall'.
Old 2010-04-17, 00:02   Link #10
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Its a Key series, so nothing is so simple. So I'm suspecting:

1) Otonashi's really God trying to understand why these kids are trying not to go to the afterlife. This would explain why Tenshi must develop her own abilities rather than being given to her by God, as God is currently MIA.

2) Otonashi's not really dead. Rather, he's just experiencing a near-death experience. He helps the others accept their lives and move on with their next ones. Series ends with him 15 years later seeing Yuri and the rest of the kids new reincarnations all attending the same school.
Old 2010-04-17, 06:34   Link #11
farios

Otonashi is quite a good tsukkomi type character so far, loving him and Hiroshi Kamiya really awesome as him.

Otonashi(Soundless) imo probably referring to his last moments before death like he falls into the darkness and thinks that everything looks dark and "no sound", hence why the word otonashi is the first thing that crosses into his mind

That being said itt there is still a possibility that he is God himself
Old 2010-04-17, 09:26   Link #12
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

While I really like his character so far it's just Otonashi is really reminding me of Araragi more and more especially with Yui, I mean it was just like an exchange between him, and Mayoi for some reason except less violent, wonder why, they don't have the same VA or anything, and yet still reminds me .

Spoiler for Konakaga's crazy completely impossible Otonashi Theory/referencing to Bakemonogatari, also not serious:
MAL
Old 2010-04-17, 11:53   Link #13
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Spoiler for Konakaga's crazy completely impossible Otonashi Theory/referencing to Bakemonogatari, also not serious:
Lol, you think maybe Shiina is Senjougahara come to make sure Araragi doesn't even have a peaceful afterlife?
Old 2010-04-17, 12:53   Link #14
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Lol, you think maybe Shiina is Senjougahara come to make sure Araragi doesn't even have a peaceful afterlife?
Of course, I mean Hitagi wouldn't let something like death stand in the way of her plans for revenge .
MAL
Old 2010-04-17, 21:03   Link #15
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I'm waiting for him to talk to Tenshi since he's our eyes in all of this.
Definitely looking towards a conversation. Though I just wonder how eager Otonashi would be for that. The last time they had a 'chat' he did get stabbed after all . It was a good way to answer his question, but that kind of thing does leave an impact on the mind.
Old 2010-04-17, 21:07   Link #16
GDB

She seems rather accommodating overall, though. If he just opened the conversation with "Please respond only with words, not actions", she'd probably agree.

I mean, she might not give you the answer you want (since it seems Yuri's group tried to talk to her, but she wouldn't answer), but just put your cards on the table to make sure you don't get a Hand Sonic through the chest and you should be fine.
Old 2010-04-18, 15:21   Link #17
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post

Series ends with him 15 years later seeing Yuri and the rest of the kids new reincarnations all attending the same school.
Spoiler for Future Prediction?:

Last edited by DarkWish; 2010-04-20 at 07:00.
Old 2010-04-18, 20:41   Link #18
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWish View Post
Did they keep their memories of the afterlife?
Im not quite happy knowing the ending already.. seriously.
It was speculation. Not a spoiler.
Old 2010-04-20, 05:05   Link #19
Velsy

Well I have this gut feeling that he has some role with the Tenshi. Ever since the final part in episode one. Where he looks back and you get the view point of Tenshi's lonelyness. (what I made out of it)

Tho its wasn't nice of her to leathally stab him in the first place.

Now if you take episode three into consideration
Spoiler for Episode 3:

Its only a gut feeling, but I think theres something between Otonashi and the Tenshi to come. Especially since he has no memory of his previously life. That sorta stands the the key.

I might be wrong tho. But still gives me hope to look forward too

ps - I like the Otonashi/Arararararagi feel. Even if they are same voice actors

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2010-04-20, 14:31   Link #20
JRendell
Manga Addict

^
However, in Episode 1, diddn't Tenshi say that 'Amnesia happens frequently here'. I agree that there seems to be some connection between these two, but maybe the fact that Otonashi has amnesia is merely a means of exposing this connection?

Or was that what you meant in the first place Velsy
Closed Thread