AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-06, 13:11   Link #701
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This post on ANN reports that a new ED will be used starting in January. He speculates this means the show will continue past the original 48-episode limit. There's a link to the original announcement on the YTV site in that posting as well if anyone who reads Japanese wants to expand on this.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-06, 19:28   Link #702
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

As much as I hope that's true, it's a pretty big leap to assume that. Effectively, it'd be getting a new ED for the Winter cour - there'd really be nothing unusual in that. I think an extension of the anime is certainly possible given the popularity of the franchise, but I don't necessarily see this as evidence of it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 01:33   Link #703
Utsuro no Hako

Well the Serika episode is a big improvement on the Kenji episode, but it really only showed us things we already knew.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 05:40   Link #704
ookamigirl

Mutta still on edge.
Waiting for the call everyone else seems to be getting.
This time it was all about Serika.
It was nice learning more about her.
Looks like each episode will be dedicated to one of the characters.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 07:20   Link #705
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookamigirl View Post
Mutta still on edge.
Waiting for the call everyone else seems to be getting.
This time it was all about Serika.
It was nice learning more about her.
Looks like each episode will be dedicated to one of the characters.
From the preview, next episode is Mizoguichi AND Mutta ...

The fact Mizoguchi isn't getting a whole episode for himself pretty much means he failed IMHO ... They are going to say he is an ass and that will the end of it.
The fact Mutta is next means the others either all failed or all passed and will developed later.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 09:59   Link #706
Gravitas Free Zone

The preview suggests that the series staff realized that they couldn't threaten us with this format for much more than two episodes.

I like seeing Serika, the series can be a bit too male-dominated at times. Maybe it's just Miyuki Sawashiro. This episode added some depth to things that we had already been told about her... but only some depth. Kenji's episode was better at showing us previously-unseen aspects of his character.

It could be that there was inadequate tension in this episode... while there would be risks of cliché, if child Serika had at least seemed a bit more upset about her father's condition, it might have felt a bit more real. It seems that she finds out, decides to become a space doctor, and... that's about it.

In Kenji's story, the unending boredom worked as an antagonist. Serika's episode had a lot of potential hooks, and didn't really make use of them well.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 10:26   Link #707
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I found the episode rather touching. I liked it better than Kenji's episode. It's a shame we didn't learn anything new about Serika though. They only showed us what we had already been told previously.
Old 2012-12-09, 10:50   Link #708
Kirarakim

I loved the episode but then I love Serika so perhaps I am
biased.

Going to Japan next week so unless I can find the episode there which I doubt (ironic as that is) I guess I will have to wait to hear that Mutta's passed.

Now interestingly they didn't show Nitta in the preview, wonder what's up with him.
Old 2012-12-09, 11:44   Link #709
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This was a two-tissue episode for me, but like Kim I love Serika. I've buried both my parents and have lived through some other fairly wrenching personal events so perhaps I'm more attuned or exposed to these feelings.

Sawashiro was in top form in this episode altering her voice to portray Serika at both ages. This was one of her best performances in a career with many excellent ones.
Old 2012-12-09, 21:22   Link #710
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

This was sad. But....I like Serika and Kenji and I pretty much figured that they'd be passing, but do we have to see Jaxa call EVERYONE before Mutta?

Hopefully, next week, Mutta gets his answer.
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 20:15   Link #711
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Kami-sama, onegai. Let Mutta pass tomorrow.
Old 2012-12-16, 00:02   Link #712
Utsuro no Hako

For a moment there I almost felt sympathetic for Mizoguchi.

Almost.

Then I saw that he had a bottle of wine next to the phone. I guess Greek tragedy and the idea of "hubris" aren't covered in Japanese schools.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 01:01   Link #713
Aesthetic Shampoo

Mizoguchi fails and Mutta passes. But what about everybody else? Well, thanks to that wonderful preview, we know
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 01:37   Link #714
Nerroth
NePoi!

Now that was well worth the wait!

And the band-aid thing was a nice touch. (Based on what the preview shows, poor Hibito will need a few stiches at the rate he's going...)
Old 2012-12-16, 02:30   Link #715
cyth
Banned

Mizoguchi. I guess the resentment toward the Japanese school system was too strong in this one. Grats to Mutta, but honestly they could've easily shaved off 10 episodes to get here. Finally!
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 05:33   Link #716
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't remember the last time I felt so proud of a fictional character.
Old 2012-12-16, 05:52   Link #717
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

A bottle of wine beside the phone. Oh the irony tastes sweet like... well wine.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 06:07   Link #718
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This is certainly a triumph of good writing, because the bond between the audience and the characters has been constructed with patience and hard work. But it’s a triumph for the actors too, starting with Ryuzanji Shou as Hoshika-san. He hasn't done much anime but what he has been memorable, and he was a brilliant choice for Hoshika. From the first appearance Ryuzanji-san made Hoshika special, not just a side character but an emotional anchor for the show and the audience’s proxy inside JAXA. The long-standing relationship between Hoshika and Mutta-san – even if Mutta had forgotten most of it – made the triumphant moment that much more emotional, because it was almost as big a moment for Hoshika as it was for Mutta. Hoshika proved there was a place for heart and passion in the selection process, and that there’s nothing wrong with making a big decision a personal one.

As for Hirata Hiroaki, there’s not a whole lot that needs to be said at this point. Simply put, there’s no seiyuu in anime who can communicate the innate sense of decency and humility that Hira-Hiro does. Every character he inhabits becomes a real person of astonishing depth, and he’s delivered two of the best performances in anime in the last two years, as Kotetsu Kabaragi and Nanba Mutta – a role that I think surpasses the great work he did in Tiger & Bunny. Space Brothers is a great series, but it says something about Hirata that I can’t possibly imagine anyone else playing Mutta.

There were some nice touches in the episode that surrounded the big moment. My favorite of these was the band-aid – not only did it connect Mutta to Hibito, but also to the boy who memorized the presentations at JAXA. That’s fitting, because both of them are as much a part of this story as the adult Mutta himself. It was also nice to see Nanba-mama finally break down and act unabashedly proud of her eldest son. Of the other candidates, only Mizoguchi was given a chance to be told he’d failed on-screen. He’s arguably the least likeable character in the series, but I thought his moment was handled with a lot of respect and dignity. It’s not easy to watch someone you feel you know well get their heart broken, and Moziguchi surely did – that in itself was a surprisingly emotional moment, and I’m glad the show took the time to show at least one rejection on-screen because that’s the other side of the happy moments we've been seeing.

In the end, though, all of the other moments pale in comparison because the name of the show is “Space Brothers” after all. What happens to Mutta and Hibito is what this series really is, and ultimately it’s Mutta whose story is being told. He reacted to the news exactly as I expected him to – quietly, fighting back tears (especially when Hoshika-san said “You’re one of the lucky ones” and Mutta realized what that meant for both of them) but not breaking down completely, a little awkward and discombobulated. That’s the essence of the man – a very real person with very real feelings who accomplishes the remarkable feat of being completely normal and exceptional in every way at the same time.
Old 2012-12-16, 07:18   Link #719
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So... um... did anyone else get a little teary eyed when Mutta looked back at that girl in the pink bike to say "Thank you"?

... anyone?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 07:29   Link #720
ookamigirl

Mutta's lucky morning was draining his luck..
Mizoguchi got the important call this time.
All his life he was the best and now he failed.
It was a lot to take in at once.
At least Hibito was enjoying himself on the moon.
Finally Mutta got his great news in person! ^^

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen