AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-10-28, 14:56   Link #4901
Arachanox
Trust the red.

Excellent news! I eagerly look forward to the first part of the story
Thanks once again for translating Umineko.
Arachanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 15:09   Link #4902
Aeriven
Please grant my wish.

Great news chrono, can't wait to play Umineko again!

Unfortunately, I can't find Episode 7 for sale anywhere. Doesn't look like AmiAmi or Himeya are going to restock anytime soon. I was wondering (and someone smack me on the back of the head if this was covered somewhere and I missed it ), when this partial patch is released, will a download for Episode 7 come up on Hobibox, or will it only be available there when the Episode is completely translated?

Last edited by Aeriven; 2010-10-28 at 15:27.
Aeriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 19:19   Link #4903
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghra View Post
Great news chrono, can't wait to play Umineko again!

Unfortunately, I can't find Episode 7 for sale anywhere. Doesn't look like AmiAmi or Himeya are going to restock anytime soon. I was wondering (and someone smack me on the back of the head if this was covered somewhere and I missed it ), when this partial patch is released, will a download for Episode 7 come up on Hobibox, or will it only be available there when the Episode is completely translated?
The download version will have to wait until the complete translation, I'm afraid, but patch progress should be moving a lot faster over then next few weeks. We've just overcome a fairly tricky section, and the big 'halfway' point of the non-tea party story has nearly been reached in rough translations.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 21:43   Link #4904
Aeriven
Please grant my wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
The download version will have to wait until the complete translation, I'm afraid, but patch progress should be moving a lot faster over then next few weeks. We've just overcome a fairly tricky section, and the big 'halfway' point of the non-tea party story has nearly been reached in rough translations.
Ah, I figured as much. I personally like having the entire Episode to read at once instead of having to stop partway through, so waiting for the complete translation is totally cool with me!

Good luck with the rest of Episode 7; wish I could help in some way, but I don't know a lick of Japanese. XD
Old 2010-10-28, 23:11   Link #4905
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Oh cool, that partial translation will help hold a lot of us over for a while.
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 03:26   Link #4906

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Well, the thing is switching settings is a necessity so that the Japanese characters can be rendered, which can then be translated by the English Patch.
Usually I choose not to give helpful information to blatant torrenters, but in this case I feel it's important to point out that the above statement is NOT true. The English version of Umineko installs AND runs just fine on non-Japanese locales.

And in any case, there is no such thing as a "translating patch". Witch Hunt's releases are already translated. That's what the whole "translation" part is about...
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 04:37   Link #4907
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

On some systems you have to switch locales, the reason for that is the music. Some of the tracks have japanese characters and if your computer can't read them there won't be any music at all. And I think that umineko can run in english locale now but before it couldnt and it was impossible to install it without switching locale. I still remember around when the EP2 patch came out and I couldn't install it. (I was such a n00b back then)
Old 2010-10-29, 05:36   Link #4908
Leafsnail

Quote:
By the way, the 16% EP7 patch should be coming out either on or before this coming weekend.
I was sure it was 10% last time .
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 09:08   Link #4909

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanyuuChan View Post
On some systems you have to switch locales, the reason for that is the music. Some of the tracks have japanese characters and if your computer can't read them there won't be any music at all.
Even if you're in the wrong locale, and EVEN if you don't have any Japanese fonts installed, any NT operating system should still be able to access Japanese-named files without trouble. Can you show me a savegame where music should be playing but isn't?
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 10:07   Link #4910
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I believe the newest version of the engine that WH uses has no problems parsing all the music file names even on a system set to a non-Japanese locale. However, I could potentially see an issue if the file names became garbled on installation to a system. I can't recall the last time I've seen that happen, but I am running Win7 and it parses Japanese characters in file names just fine even in English locale, so I can't say what it used to be like in XP.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 12:37   Link #4911
Leafsnail

I definitely needed Japanese locale on the first 4 using Windows 7 (game just refused to work otherwise). Not sure about the more recent ones.
Leafsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 12:56   Link #4912
chronotrig

If you use the patch installer and not the Japanese installer, you shouldn't ever need to be in Japanese locale unless you want to read the Japanese version of the game. Of course, this is assuming you have either the official download version or the DVD.

Old 2010-10-29, 13:06   Link #4913
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
If you use the patch installer and not the Japanese installer, you shouldn't ever need to be in Japanese locale unless you want to read the Japanese version of the game. Of course, this is assuming you have either the official download version or the DVD.
Is this true for the upcoming partial patch as well? Or are we going to need to install EP7 with the Japanese locale first for it?
Keriaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 13:22   Link #4914
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriaku View Post
Is this true for the upcoming partial patch as well? Or are we going to need to install EP7 with the Japanese locale first for it?
Yes, you don't need to install EP7 with the Japanese installer. The installer that comes with the partial patch will install both the Japanese game and the English game in any locale, though you need to be in Japanese locale to run the Japanese game.

Old 2010-10-29, 20:47   Link #4915
catastrophe8
Self Proclaimed Detective

Awesome news!

Would the partial patch have the translated versions of Episode 5 and 6 with it? Or will it just be the partial Episode 7?
catastrophe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 23:34   Link #4916
zorahk

I'd like to point out that if you play in Mac os you can run any version of the game without locale issues as os x displays japanese by default.

Another reason why Japanese people <3 apple
Oh and kotoeri is the better IME for sure
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 00:58   Link #4917
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrophe8 View Post
Awesome news!

Would the partial patch have the translated versions of Episode 5 and 6 with it? Or will it just be the partial Episode 7?
All patches, even partial ones, have the previous Episodes from the same game translated. So yes.

Old 2010-10-30, 14:00   Link #4918
Thunder Book
Endless Member

I noticed a type in Episode 1.

Spoiler:

I apologize if this has been pointed out before.
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 16:23   Link #4919
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Our apologies for the unexpected delays, it took us some time to fix some stuff.
As promised, we are releasing the compatibility patch for Episode 7.

Of course, it wouldn't be really special with Episode 5 and 6 alone, so we have included the prologue and the first 4 chapters of Requiem of the golden witch. This covers 16% of Episode 7.

We hope you will appreciate this little tidbit of this Fragment for the time being.

You can grab the new patch on our website. Please check this link.

Also, our current progress on Episode 7 is like this:
-Translation: 27%
-Editing: 20%

Please note that the pace was slow due to a lot of factors, and we managed to get past the trickiest portion of the whole Episode. Although we do not have any precise ETA, we believe we still can finish it before Episode 8 release.
-However-
: please remember it is just an estimation, and we cannot promise anything just yet.
Old 2010-10-30, 16:37   Link #4920
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

1 billion "thank you" 's as always >8DDD

Tags
translation