AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-15, 02:27   Link #41
Tempest
First Class Baka

Looks really great IMO, after watching the raw versions of episodes 1 & 2, and then recently the subbed ones by ANBU. I am really looking forward to episode 3 when it comes out.

The flow of the series seem to be pretty good. Especially the music composition for the scenes and the OP & ED, very much so the ED's sequence with the rising sun. It has a futuristic oriental western flick feel to it. The Mechas I didn't mind, they looked eye catching.

I think the series is scheduled for only 26 episodes or so, correct?
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 03:01   Link #42
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest
Looks really great IMO, after watching the raw versions of episodes 1 & 2, and then recently the subbed ones by ANBU. I am really looking forward to episode 3 when it comes out.

The flow of the series seem to be pretty good. Especially the music composition for the scenes and the OP & ED, very much so the ED's sequence with the rising sun. It has a futuristic oriental western flick feel to it. The Mechas I didn't mind, they looked eye catching.

I think the series is scheduled for only 26 episodes or so, correct?
Broadcast Information (from my SkyPerfectTV guide)

Initial airing: June 12 (Sat)
Total Episodes: 26 episodes
Channel: 183, etc. (SkyPerfectTV! Pay-per-view)
Viewing fee: 840 yen per airing

Tentative Broadcast schedule:
6/12 (Sat): #01 (Ep. 1, Ep. 2)
7/10 (Sat): #02 (Ep. 3, Ep. 4)
7/24 (Sat): #03 (Ep. 5, Ep. 6)
8/14 (Sat): #04 (Ep. 7, Ep. 8)
8/28 (Sat): #05 (Ep. 9, Ep. 10)
9/11 (Sat): #06 (Ep. 11, Ep. 12)
9/25 (Sat): #07 (Ep. 13, Ep. 14)
10/9 (Sat): #08 (Ep. 15, Ep. 16)
10/23 (Sat): #09 (Ep. 17, Ep. 18)
11/13 (Sat): #10 (Ep. 19, Ep. 20)
11/27 (Sat): #11 (Ep. 21, Ep. 22)
12/11 (Sat): #12 (Ep. 23, Ep. 24)
12/25 (Sat): #13 (Ep. 25, Ep. 26)
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 03:02   Link #43
Meier
A Beck anime? SWOON!

Seeing a guy cut a frigate in half with a sword really does not do much for my desire to watch a show.
Meier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 04:30   Link #44
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meier
Seeing a guy cut a frigate in half with a sword really does not do much for my desire to watch a show.
I would think he's probably not a normal guy, I'm guessing the samurai have nanobots (or he does at least) in him, and that sword has to have some special properties to actually reach through to the other side of the hull...

Anyway, the animation is absolutely spectacular. It's not hard to see why this is costing twice as much as normal anime's per episode. I'm not sure who the futuristic setting works yet. A lot of it seems pretty similar, the samurai (except for Robo-samurai), pesant villagers, etc... Then you get futuristic cities and the enemy being huge robots... So that's a bit different

Oh yea, did anyone else notice that the young samurai is voiced by the same VA as Ed from FMA? I'm listening and going "Holy crap that sounds like Ed" and then I look it up and yea it is, it's the woman who does his voice.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 04:34   Link #45
Secca
nya`
*Artist

The first rule of anime. The law of physic doesn't apply on anime. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 04:43   Link #46
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
The first rule of anime. The law of physic doesn't apply on anime. ^^
I thought it was you don't talk about anime... Wait that's Fight Club...
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 04:52   Link #47
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Liking this one so far The animation is really spiffffyyy! The characters are pretty cool too, looking forward to the next release!
ZeppelinJ0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 07:41   Link #48
updatedude

Saw the movie, liked it, it had a good feel to it. Not a purist though, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to enjoy Kill Bill

That said, only saw the first ep thus far, and it looks pretty good. Even stole quite a few famous bits from the movie.

The main part I'm iffy about is the priestess. I guess the obligatory female's obligatory. Still, she's needed to spice things up I guess, otherwise it'll just be more or less a direct rip off of the original. Thus far, it's got a lighter feel than the movie though, the movie had a real gritty and despairing mood, not quite as much here.

Yay, Mr. Big Sword's is there (of course).

Spoiler:
updatedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 07:46   Link #49
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
I agree some parts are simply illogical. I remember one poster was saying in the past how he would hate the show if it had a guy simply slicing 10 storey mechas apart. I think he will hate it now since the guy does more than slicing 10 storey mechas apart

LOL, I think that was me, but it didn't actually bother me like I thought it would. The peasants make mention of the samurai modifying their bodies for war so I'm willing to suspend my disbelief enough to let that go by(the frigate scene was over the top but the scene at the end of ep 2 gave me more of a "wow....that's a strong sword" for some reason ).

Very impressed with the series so far though, they're sticking alot closer to the feel/plot of seven samurai than I would have thought. The music and video are both great and they're keeping the feel of the show just depressing enough to let you feel the plight of the peasants without boring you to death with it. From the trailer/promotional artwork looked like the series would focus on the young samurai (Katsushiro?) as the lead which seemed way too cliche in anime. Was glad to see him fall into the role of the young, idealist, and inexperienced samurai in need of a mentor like in the original. That character gave a unique perspective (though really all the samurai seemed to have somewhat unique perspectives) in the original of a person in love with the idea of a samurai being faced with the grim reality of it.

Also, I like the inclusion of the merchant/nobility group into the series from ep 2. Will be interested to see how that group affects the story since their whole role/motivations in society seem like they could make for an interesting conflict between them and the samurai/peasants.

Think the series had a pretty strong start and if they can keep the ball rolling at this pace I could definetly watch another 24 eps of this.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 07:51   Link #50
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by updatedude
Saw the movie, liked it, it had a good feel to it. Not a purist though, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to enjoy Kill Bill

That said, only saw the first ep thus far, and it looks pretty good. Even stole quite a few famous bits from the movie.
They had to pay homage to the masterpiece of course

Quote:
The main part I'm iffy about is the priestess. I guess the obligatory female's obligatory. Still, she's needed to spice things up I guess, otherwise it'll just be more or less a direct rip off of the original.
My personal opinion is that she's the replacement for the peasant girl that Katsushirou gets involved with. They probably felt that protaganist needs some spicing up.

Quote:
Yay, Mr. Big Sword's is there (of course).
Yep good ol Kikuchiyo's here.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 08:04   Link #51
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Man, why can't keep mechas to mecha story and samurai to samurai story?

I am sorry, but my interest value dropped tremendously when I see mechas robbing rice from peasants. WTF

Good animation and music do not cover the fact is it is dumb idea in the 1st place.
Old 2004-06-15, 08:06   Link #52
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
My personal opinion is that she's the replacement for the peasant girl that Katsushirou gets involved with. They probably felt that protaganist needs some spicing up.
Well, most anime directors will agree that in order to make an anime/manga that otakus would like, it needs sex appeal... Otherwise it'd fail. So I guess this is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
Man, why can't keep mechas to mecha story and samurai to samurai story?

I am sorry, but my interest value dropped tremendously when I see mechas robbing rice from peasants. WTF
In a world where rice is as valuable as gold, what's so bad about this concept?

And really, who needs another pure samurai story? There are already 4 or 5 being made this year. I think this setting is pretty interesting... So far it seems to work as well as those fantasy-sci-fi mixtures in RPG games and stuff.
Old 2004-06-15, 09:21   Link #53
Blaat

This was better then I expected. Good episodes, can't wait for the next one. Even though it will last a month
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 10:02   Link #54
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Akira Kurosawa is rolling over in his grave...

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 10:47   Link #55
K_R
also known as K!

There's nothing wrong with a decent adaptation. I don't understand what all the fuss is about really. John Sturges puts cowboys in the samurai roles and gives his version of Kurosawa's 'Shichinin no Samurai' a Western (as in movie genre) flavour. Even Kurosawa has taken others' stories and adapted them to his liking (changing fundamental aspects of the base story), e.g. Shakespeare's 'King Lear' -> 'Ran'. We should judge this show on its own merits and dispense with all the "OMG!! Kurosawa will be spinning in his grave!!" comments...
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 10:50   Link #56
Rand
Dragon Reborn

Kicks ass...
Samurai and mechas might appear as stupid or whatever, but i think that mixing both concepts are quite original...The disign of the machines changes a lot from standard mechas like in Robotech or even Blue Gender...
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 10:53   Link #57
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Hmm... I love that scene where he cut that battleship with his sword... it's not realistic for sure, but nor are that HUGE mecha swarms or battleships with Japanese house roofs built on top... they look cool, and that's what matters here

Maybe he learned a trick or two from Onimusha 3
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 11:03   Link #58
evilgumby
Fight on!! Video gamer

Send a message via AIM to evilgumby
Its animes like this that make RK look all the better.
Anyways sounds "friggin awesome" (Carl from ATHF voice)
evilgumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-15, 11:23   Link #59
lamer_de

Quote:
Viewing fee: 840 yen per airing
You honestly have to pay 7,5USD to watch 40mins of animated content? You can get into the cinema and 2h worth of entertainment for that price over here. No wonder they came up with those "Do not pirate our stuff over the internet" banners on BSi and other stations :P Yeah, I know the average income/cost of living in Japan is one of the highest in the world, but that pricing is just ridiculous (at least from my point of view). I guess you have to pay 30USD+ for being able to get the channel, too (at least that's how they market pay-channels over here, almost nobody is willing to pay per specific airing(they tried it, but I think it wasn't accepted too well))

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2004-06-15, 12:05   Link #60
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
hmmm mechs with samurai.... I love samurai shows so ill give it a try. Hope its good.
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical